baltimoreravens

Who are your contenders?

10. :Ravens: They find ways to win, but the way they're playing just looks inferior to the rest of the AFC. If they can beat the Steelers they can be higher but I don't know.

9. :Giants: Completely depends on how hot they get at the end of the year. Because they might just luck their way into another super bowl, or go cold enough to miss the playoffs.

8. :Broncos: Peyton is good, and Von Miller is amazing, but we aren't as battle tested as the rest of the AFC contenders, or as talented as the Texans.

7. :Steelers: Still playing as well as ever, Roethlisberger finally has a balanced offense to work with, and he's showing he can still get the job done against tough opponents. Ugly wins make for a good team down the stretch.

6. :Bears: They completely man handle their competition, and they're winning on defense prowess. It won't hold up, but the way they play is so opposite of all the other contenders out there. It speaks volumes that in Goodell's passitorium, the Bears are finding ways to say "yeah fuck passing".

5. :49ers: Good strong team all around, game manager QB, great defense and run game, I just don't think they have the gusto to win against the elite NFC QB's when the shit hits the fan.

4. :Falcons: This is as high as I can put them, they seem snakebit in the playoffs, always facing the conference champions first. I feel like this is the Falcons best shot in a while though. The window is open as long as Matt Ryan plays like a top 5 QB.

3. :Patriots: I know they have Brady and Belichick, but on the win it all scale, I feel like they'll just fall short again. They're really good, but they aren't the dominant super bowl team they were nearly 10 years ago.

2. :Texans: Most talented team in the league by a good distance, run game, pass game, blocking, pass rush, run defense, coverage, special teams it's all there. The reason they aren't number 1? The starting QB has no playoff wins under his belt. The same thing Matt Ryan is taking fire for right now.

1. :Packers: The only choice. I don't care that they're battered and bruised, they're playing so much better right now this year and they don't have to worry about an undefeated season nagging in the backs of their minds. They'll have to fight for their playoff spot which means they can't afford to rest players and get cold when a challenger comes to town. They're equipped to handle every top team in this league with their style of play, because when there is a shootout, I want Aaron Rodgers in my corner.

Edited by RazorStar

If we were separating this by conference, then yeah, they'd find their way into the top 3 or 4... But we aren't.

I'd take the 49ers, Packers, and probably the Giants as well over the Bears.

How can you take the Niners over the Bears?

Alex Smith < Jay Cutler, for starters, the Bears offense is better than San Fran's offense in pretty much every way, and the defenses are at least equal, though I'd give the edge to Chicago.

The Giants certainly aren't playing better atm, and I dont really see their offense being all that challenging to deal with. Tim Jennings on Cruz, and Tillman on Nicks, and bye-bye Giants offense.

lol. Every way. Only rushing for 168 yards a game.

True, the Niners ground-game is better.

My issue was with Dmac's logic

That offense doesn't have the fire power to consistently hang with the better offenses in the league, and until it proves it, putting them ahead of some of these other teams makes no sense.

And then he brings up San Fran. "Fire power" isn't how I'd describe San Fran's offense.

So what's the difference between SF and CHI, where he is willing to give the Niners offense a pass despite pretty mediocre, and the Bears offense he isn't willing to?

Edited by Thanatos19

the Bears offense is better than San Fran's offense in pretty much every way

Completely disagree with this.

Cutler isn't much better than Smith. Smith is a lot smarter with the football than Cutler. I think they're very close.

The 49ers have the best running game in the NFL so there's a way that they are better.

Another big thing is the o-line. The 49ers have one of the best o-lines in the NFL while the Bears o-line is garbage.

EDIT- I now see you already agreed about the running games.

Edited by MuscleHamster22

Bears and the 49ers game is going to be old school football the way it was meant to be played great defense and a lot of run plays called.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Bears and the 49ers game is going to be old school football the way it was meant to be played.

Amen, Terry.

Amen, Terry.

They play each other?

That is awesome.

Hope its on SNF or MNF.

Monday Night Football. :panic:

11/19 :yep:

Edited by BayAreaBomber

And then two weeks later it will be another ground and pound defensive slug fest when Seattle goes to Chicago. Irvin and Clemons are going to put Cutler on his ass... if he's back for that game.

I'm sure the Bears are terrified of a team that is 1-4 on the road this season.

And then two weeks later it will be another ground and pound defensive slug fest when Seattle goes to Chicago. Irvin and Clemons are going to put Cutler on his ass... if he's back for that game.

Wilson will get different looks from our D that he has never seen before and he will get buried.

Got to agree here. The Seahawks defense may and probably will play great but I don't see Russell Wilson being able to do what he has been doing to the Chicago Bears. I have a feeling the Bears will eat the rookie alive.

Mine are (in no particular order)

Texans

Patriots

Giants

Packers

Falcons

And if their qbs can play:

Bears

Steelers

Edited by blotsfan

Mine are (in no particular order)

Texans

Patriots

Giants

Packers

Falcons

And if their qbs can play:

Bears

Steelers

No 49ers?

No 49ers?

They've not looked as good as they've been hyped up to be. Not out of the question that they don't even win their division. I still think they are dangerous though.

With a healthy Cutler, yeah. I don't get what's so crazy about it. Have you seen their defense this year?

With a healthy Cutler, yeah. I don't get what's so crazy about it. Have you seen their defense this year?

Have you seen their opponents this year?

Not discounting their defense it's great but the offense hasn't been all that great and they still have yet to beat a good team and are 0-2 in their big games (Packers and Texans).

The hype train with the Bears is ridiculous. They're defense is astounding...yes.

But their offense is led by Jay Cuntler who will only throw the ball to Brandon Marshall or Matt Forte. To me, the Bears do not have enough offensive firepower to win a SB.

Contenders yes, but SB winners in 2012...no.

A defense can only get you so far...defense has one bad game in the playoffs and you trust Jay Cutler to lead your team to a comeback victory? Hell no.

• Upvote 1

Kind of just like the falcons hype train? As for some people in this thread who did they beat that was so impressive? The toughest team they faced was New Orleans and they lost. So what's the difference between them and the bears in those terms?

Edited by monstersofthemidway

ATL the playoffs are so much luck that It's very plausible that they cover up cutler. Not to mention cutler is capable of being good. I could definitely see him getting hot at the right time.

And thanatos the 49ers just don't impress me. They could spoil someone but I can't see them wining it all.

Kind of just like the falcons hype train? As for some people in this thread who did they beat that was so impressive? The toughest team they faced was New Orleans and they lost. So what's the difference between them and the bears in those terms?

The toughest team we faced was Denver...which beat New Orleans. We can only play the teams on our schedule.

Now tell me...who saw the Falcons being 8-1 at week 10 before the season started?

I had us being 6-3 AT BEST at this point coming into the season. The Eagles, Cowboys, and Broncos I all had chalked up as losses already.

So many teams we've faced are having down years, and there's nothing we can do to change about that other than take advantage of it. You won't find me saying anywhere that we're winning the SB this year. We haven't played our best football ONCE this year and we are still 8-1. All that matters to me is that we're at our best going into where it counts and that's the playoffs.

All I'm saying is...I trust the Bears defense to score more points than your offense. It's inconsitent and unreliable, and it starts with Jay Cutler.