Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

Fireman Ed walks out of game and deactivates Twitter account

via ESPN

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Fireman Ed, aka Ed Anzalone, apparently couldn't take the debacle of a second quarter and left at the half. That is according to Twitter users who say they sat in his section. Anzalone's own Twitter account was deactivated during the game as well. Not a banner night for the team, and not for an icon of a New York Jets fan either.

Former nose tackle and analyst Kris Jenkins noticed. "Fireman Ed deleted his account?" Jenkins tweeted. "Wow thought he was a diehard fan? Guess he went back to the Dolphins."

Looks like someone no long wants to support the sinking ship?

FWIW - Big Dawg is still in the Dawg Pound after 20 years of bullshit.

Edited by housemd

The guy pays how much money every year to watch his team at every home game? He shouldn't have to sit through that kind of shit, and neither should any of the New York fans. I don't personally think the second quarter was anything more than a really unfortunate string of events that had as much to do with Luck as it did with the Patriots, but at the same time, they're not thirty points worse than the Patriots. The game should have been close, and yet again his team under-performed.

When you pay a shit ton of money for a seat, you can leave if you aren't getting your money's worth out of your team. That's how I see it, anyway. It's not like Florida sports who ONLY show up when the team is good, or Atlanta Hawks fans, who don't come to games regardless of the status of their team (unless it's the playoffs).

So he left a game early. Big deal. Also, it could just as easily have been a family emergency or something and he deactivated his twitter so his phone wouldn't get constant updates of what people thought he did, or how the game went.

• Upvote 1

Eh I'd normally agree with you bware but when you market yourself as a "super fan" you can't leave early. If it really was a family emergency he probably wouldn't have deactivated his account over it.

So he left a game early. Big deal. Also, it could just as easily have been a family emergency or something and he deactivated his twitter so his phone wouldn't get constant updates of what people thought he did, or how the game went.

Why would he deactivate his twitter account? Wouldnt it be easier to turn off notifications or just...you know...not look? He is clearly angry at the direction his team is taking and is making a statement.

Why would he deactivate his twitter account? Wouldnt it be easier to turn off notifications or just...you know...not look? He is clearly angry at the direction his team is taking and is making a statement.

I have a Twitter but never use it, so I don't know how it works. I was just speculating.

Eh I'd normally agree with you bware but when you market yourself as a "super fan" you can't leave early. If it really was a family emergency he probably wouldn't have deactivated his account over it.

Yeah, I dunno. Super fan or not, I can't imagine what his seats cost on a yearly basis, so I guess I kind of like that he left early. It's not that the Jets just aren't very good. It's that they're underachieving, and they haven't even tried to address their receiver issues. Why not bring back Plax once Holmes goes down? Why not at least give TO a tryout? The way I see the Jets right now is this: They don't have the pieces to the puzzle, but aren't looking for them, either.

Maybe this is Fireman Ed's mindset. I know it's mine. They have options to better this offense; they ought to be exploring them all.

It makes no sense to fire Rex after this season with the way they've gone about it, and I hope he gets a chance at a fifth year.

Meh.. I know I went to a few Ravens game that were less than pretty. And I am of the mindset that I am going to stay to the end to get my moneys worth. Even if you dont win it is an opportunity to see your team. A real fan is there through it all the good and bad. If you are going to stay through a great game by your team then you should be there for them when they lose because it is not easy for the players either.

So yeah the dude is a schmuck. When you are a fan much less a "superfan" whatever the hell that is, you sit your ass in your chair and stay their until the clock hits 00:00, it isn't over there.

And being honest you can really tell a lot about who your stars are going to be and are by the way they fight when all hope seems lost. Ladarius Webb did that for me coincidentally when we played the Jets, we were down the Jets driving and he picks off the Sanchize and returns it for a TD, he kept fighting and I believe won that game for us. I am glad I stayed.

• Upvote 1

Don't care either way. I'd personally stay until the end of the game barring family or other type of emergency but it's his choice.

Also why is this posted with an Eagles icon? Ha.

Also why is this posted with an Eagles icon? Ha.

Fixed.

The guy pays how much money every year to watch his team at every home game? He shouldn't have to sit through that kind of shit, and neither should any of the New York fans. I don't personally think the second quarter was anything more than a really unfortunate string of events that had as much to do with Luck as it did with the Patriots, but at the same time, they're not thirty points worse than the Patriots. The game should have been close, and yet again his team under-performed.

When you pay a shit ton of money for a seat, you can leave if you aren't getting your money's worth out of your team. That's how I see it, anyway. It's not like Florida sports who ONLY show up when the team is good, or Atlanta Hawks fans, who don't come to games regardless of the status of their team (unless it's the playoffs).

Nothing, the Jets buy his tickets....lol

via NFL.com

Fireman Ed is no more at New York Jets games.

In a guest column for Metro New York, Fireman Ed -- real name: Ed Anzalone -- explained that confrontations with fans at MetLife Stadium, not the Jets' epic struggles during a blowout loss to the New England Patriots on Thanksgiving night, led to his premature exit from his section.

Anzalone said barbs from unruly fans have become a common occurence, with many people under the mistaken impression that he's on the Jets' payroll. Because of this, he no longer will attend Jets games as Fireman Ed.

"Listen, I went through the Rich Kotite era -- we were 4-28 in that era. Any Jets fan knows this isn't the worst of times; it isn't close," Anzalone told Metro, making a fair point. "It's been about the nastiness. I just think society in general -- you're out in your car, there's no respect at all. I don't want to put up with that from people taking it out on me anymore."

Anzalone said he'll continue to attend Jets home games, but he plans to move to a different section and retire the Fireman Ed persona. For decades, Anzalone has led the famous "J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets" chant at the Meadowlands.

"I'm sure there will be somebody else that takes over," he said. "I wasn't the originator of the chant and I won't be the last one. It's got to end."

Anzalone said he hadn't informed the Jets of his decision.

"I'm not on their payroll," Anzalone said. "I don't owe the Jets anything."

As someone who has attended many a Jets game at the Meadowlands, I can confirm home-team ineptitude, coupled with frothy fermented beverages, can create a rough edge in the crowd. I'm sure Anzalone eventually will don the fireman's hat again, but for now, consider this another ridiculous subplot in another lost Jets season.

Does any other Super Fan get called out for being on the teams payroll? Why is Fireman Ed? Because, NY?

Wow, heckled by his own fans. And people think Philly is the only city with tough fans...

Wow, heckled by his own fans. And people think Philly is the only city with tough fans...

Fireman Ed ain't exactly Santa Claus :p

This guy is a massive douche and he is crying because he is getting heckled? Welcome to the party, Ed.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put up with that BS either... but he is all but asking for it. He made the right choice here.

I feel bad for him. It's probably mainly all the idiots who like the Jets just because of Tim Tebow who are giving Fireman Ed a hard time. Tim Tebow doesn't even have to do anything, just his presence screws shit up.

Reminds me of the that one kid in school that always rode the teachers tits...people are gonna talk shit, especially in NY. Don't feel bad for him at all.