Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Would you take a guard in the top 10?

Chance Warmack is arguably a top 5 player in this year's class. From how much I've seen of him, 4 games, he looks like he's gonna be considered a top 3 prospect come after the combine and personal workouts.

But last year we saw someone who wasn't as good, but not much worse go in the 20s after everyone was saying he shoulda gone in the top 15s.

Who you ever take a guard in the top 10? top 15? And an even better question, should you ever take a guard in the top 10?

Some of the best guards in the league are picked up in the late rounds or even undrafted. I honestly don't see the value in taking a guard that high. I suppose if every other position was solid and Guard was the most needed spot on the O-line I'd consider it being a decent pick-up for a run-heavy team. Other than that I feel more impactful talent could be picked up elsewhere.

Fuck no lol. You can find solid talent at that position all over the place.

Donald Thomas, a dude drafted in the 6th round in 2008, has done a pretty damn good job when filling in for Logan Mankins' overrated ass. Actually, he's probably performed better than Mankins this year.

if you're drafting in the top ten then you have a lot of holes to fill, and most of them are going to be far more important than guard, I'm not saying guard isn't important, but it's one of the easiest positions to get away with starting an average player, so I say no

I am biased because I believe all great teams are built in the trenches. That said I am also a huge believer in value. If I can get the same player later I will. So needless to say I am a bit torn.

That said yes I would. I think that is I can get a 21 year old guard who is a physical specimen, with multiple corroborations of extreme work ethic, football smarts out the ass, and a non stop motor...definitely. Now do those come along often, of course not. However if one were to come along and I was a GM I would pull the trigger on him.

Titans(well..Oilers) took Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak both in the top 10..I'd say they worked out alright. Matthews is the greatest o-lineman to ever play the game and Munchak is a HOFer.

If the talent is there, I say do it. Dominant o-line can do so much for you.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

That said yes I would. I think that is I can get a 21 year old guard who is a physical specimen, with multiple corroborations of extreme work ethic, football smarts out the ass, and a non stop motor...definitely. Now do those come along often, of course not. However if one were to come along and I was a GM I would pull the trigger on him.

That's what I'm thinking. If a guard is good enough to be elite, and play multiple positions well. I think he's well worth it.

Titans(well..Oilers) took Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak both in the top 10..I'd say they worked out alright. Matthews is the greatest o-lineman to ever play the game and Munchak is a HOFer.

Long time since I heard Bruce Matthews name. I would not say best o-lineman ever but he is up there with about 4 you could argue all day. To me that is the hardest position to name the greatest ever.

Thats a good question for Titan fans. We pick at 10, and have glaring holes in the interior oline. If Warmack is there and not Werner or Jones i say do it. If its a need and hes the BPA its a no brainer. I know ppl say value but honestly it doesnt mean shit. Aaron Curry was pose to be the next big thing and he busted.

Long time since I heard Bruce Matthews name. I would not say best o-lineman ever but he is up there with about 4 you could argue all day. To me that is the hardest position to name the greatest ever.

Bias obviously plays a part in me saying that, lol, but he played at an all-pro level every year of his career and could play every single position on the line at an elite level.

But yeah, there's a lot of people who can be high on a list.

There's Matthews, Ogden, Munoz, Hannah, Grimm and Allen just to name a few.

it worked out in the long run, but after taking Munchak in 1982 and Matthews in 1983 (who also played Center and Tackle, so I'm not sure just calling him a Guard is really fair) it took until 1987 for the team to record a winning record

When I read the title, my mind immediately went to Chance Warmack. Depends on the team, their needs, and how the board falls. If everything aligns properly (or horribly wrong depending how you look at it). Absolutely you take him Top 10.

If he is an elite talent and its a need, why not. Your not going to win games no matter who you have on Offense if your OL sucks. Where as a great OL can make a some people look a lot better than they really are.

Yeah. It really depends on your teams needs...however if you have a top 5 or 10 pick you most likely need to be looking at something more than a Guard...

Just my thought.

If I'm the Falcons. I take him in a heartbeat...too bad he won't fall out of the top 10 :(

Yes. If you need a guard and he is there, why not take him. I've never agreed with its too early to draft certain positions.

Gil Brandt said Warmack is the #1 pick in this draft class. He probably won't be the first one picked but he won't be available after first 5 picks,imo.

Jockel and Warmack 1 and 2. >_>

Warmack is a great player but not a top 10 talent. Not only that but G is a deep position in this year's draft, and if you're looking at Warmack, only 25 teams would look at him because 7 teams use a zone blocking scheme that Warmack isn't fast/athletic enough to thrive in. In the top 10 alone, the Raiders and Chiefs use a zone blocking scheme, so they're out of the Warmack sweepstakes. If anybody takes Warmack in the top 10 it's Arizona because they could very well be perfectly happy with another year with Kolb (no stud QBs in this draft) and just protecting him better. Other than that, Warmack is a top 20 guy who needs to prove himself against better, more agile/athletic DTs before he's considered an elite guard in the NFL.

^IDK about that, most years I'd agree he isn't a top 10 player in terms of where you draft him, but in this year's class, with how deep it is, I think you can make the case for him.

Even if this year's class is deep, none are as talented as Warmack. And the Bucs showed this past season how much of an impact having a great G can make in the run game.

Yes. Who cares about where people say you should select a certain position, if he is a great player take him. This kid is a stud and going to be a beast in the NFL

If guard is a major team need then yes I would take one in the top 10. Warmack has elite talent and I wouldn't hesitate to take him in the top 10.

I wouldn't count it out. If he is the best player available id be a poor GM not to consider it. But as its been mentioned the tradeoff of guard value in later rounds to that of the other needs most top 10 picking teams usually forces the top guard picks to 20 or so. When a ~top 10 talent team feels the long standing best player available probably won't be there at ~50 and could use some immediate help up front.

That being said in my mock a certain team bows out of the top 10, does some hustling and picks up Warmack around 15 and some mid picks in a mid rich draft.

here's the issue I have with the "don't take a guard early" mentality, the top guard of this year's draft class (Warmack) has been called the best prospect in the draft throwing position out the window, the second best guard in the draft class (Johnathan Cooper) is generally seen as a guy who can step in day one as a quality starter and is supposed to be a perennial pro bowler, why would you pass on that kind of talent if you have a need at the position?

Because the impact of the best corner or QB or defensive end is usually more important for the team overall than the best guard.