Dutch

Arians hire Todd Bowles as DC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127875/article/report-ray-horton-out-todd-bowles-in-as-cards-dc

Defensive coordinator Ray Horton hoped to be the Arizona Cardinals' head coach. Instead, he'll be shown the door.

Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday that Horton is out in the wake of Bruce Arians' hiring as Cardinals head coach. Arians is planning to hire Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Todd Bowles for the same position in Arizona. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport noted that both Horton and Bowles remain under contract, so there are some "hoops to jump through."

Coaching search tracker

Gregg Rosenthal provides a one-stop shop for all the latest head-coaching search news. Who are teams targeting? More ...

It's a discouraging turn of events for Horton, who interviewed twice for the Cardinals' top job. Mike Jurecki of KGME-AM reported that Horton and new Cardinals general manager Steve Keim had a "heated exchange" after Horton learned he didn't get the job. He thought he was the pick after Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy landed with the San Diego Chargers.

Horton's defenses were capable during the last two seasons with the Cardinals, and he has been viewed as a rising star in the NFL coaching world. The wait in learning his fate might make it more difficult for him to find another coordinator job. And with Arians in place, no African-Americans were hired to top spots in the 2013 coaching cycle.

Thank god he's out of Philly. Now Ray Horton needs to come to us :yep:

Edited by dutchff7

LMAO. They fired Horton to hire Bowles... Oh for the love of God. I am so so very sorry Arizona fans.

tumblr_lz5ia86DVz1qdeocv.gif

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I lol'd IRL when I read this. I'm like "wtf was he thinking...." Bowles was absolutely DREADFUL this year. Glad he put a good DC candidate on the street. We need one.

I wish Bowles well. He was thrown into a ring of shit in Philly. He deserves a chance to prove himself. At least he has some legitimate talent to work with in Arizona.

Yup. No more excuses. Maybe he can stop every QB he faces from 100+ QB ratings.

• Upvote 1

I wish Bowles well. He was thrown into a ring of shit in Philly. He deserves a chance to prove himself. At least he has some legitimate talent to work with in Arizona.

We were a top 10 defense with Juan at least. We regressed A LOT when Bowles took over. Bowles made history with our franchise in his short tenure. We had the 3 worst pass defensive performances in franchise history with him. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be a DC anywhere, but I'm just glad he's not with us anymore. Wasn't a good fit.

Yup. No more excuses. Maybe he can stop every QB he faces from 100+ QB ratings.

There was really no reason that streak should have ended. Our secondary didn't improve at all as the year went on. But hey, playing Josh Freeman will do that for you. :troll:

• Upvote 1

New Cardinals DC Todd Bowles will employ a 3-4 base defense.

It's the same scheme the Cardinals used under former DC Ray Horton, and still the best fit for their current personnel. Bowles has pledged not to make "dramatic changes" to a unit that ranked 12th in yards against last season. That's probably a good idea for the first-year coordinator, who struggled to adjust on the fly as the Eagles' interim defensive boss in 2012.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

We know that Bowles can take a bad defense and make them worse. Let's see what he can do with a mildly good defense already in place.

I love the article by Schein on NFL.com claiming the Cards will be in the playoffs in 2013, and he points to this move as a good one.

Just lol.

Schein is an idiot, I use to listen to his show on NFL Radio.

I'm not sure if Horton was fired or forced his way out, he was pretty pissed with the way they handled the HC position.

Cardinals signed DC Todd Bowles to a contract extension through 2017.

Despite losing Daryl Washington to suspension, Darnell Dockett to an ACL tear and Karlos Dansby to free agency, Bowles has the Cardinals' defense humming. They rank fourth in points allowed and third in run defense, a big reason why the Cards are 8-1. Bowles' extension comes with a raise and the freedom to still pursue head-coaching opportunities. He'll surely have some interviews this offseason.

Vin bringing this back to make us look dumb. :(

• Upvote 1

Vin bringing this back to make us look dumb. :(

Vin is the king of hindsight bias.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't going to post it in this thread, but after reading the responses I couldn't resist :shifty:

• Upvote 2

Vin is the king of hindsight bias.

This.

Hilarious how many people thought this was a bad transaction. Dude is the top coach to sign after this year.

It's almost like the Eagles defense was historically trash or something and no coordinator could redeem them... Bowles was set up!