Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

WR Free Agent Frenzy

Seeing as though the offseason is upon us, one of the best ways to entertain ourselves until the real season starts is speculation / predictions. There are several notable WRs due to hit the free agent market next month. These wide receivers are:

Mike Wallace

Greg Jennings

Dwayne Bowe

Wes Welker

Danny Amendola

Where do you believe these WRs land or do you believe they stay with their respective clubs?

Mike Wallace: :Seahawks: I believe Mike Wallace to the Seahawks would be an awesome fit. Giving Russell Wilson premiere weapon like Mike Wallace to stretch the field with his ability to break the pocket and make plays and with a bruiser ground and pound runningback like Marshawn Lynch could spell problems for opposing teams. This would add a total new dimension to this football club that would make them dangerous (quick strike). I don't even need to bring up how good they are on defense.

:Colts: The Colts main priority should be giving Luck more weapons. Amid criticism, Luck had a great year embracing the role and responsibility of a franchise QB like no other. Reggie Wayne getting old and all still did his thing and Luck did a great job with the receiving core he had. Luck and Wallace are both young and I honestly believe that they would be a great tandem for years to come.

:Chargers: What better way to help revive Phillip Rivers career then adding Mike McCoy as his head coach and treating him to a receiver like Mike Wallace. I think that would be a good combination right there.

:Bengals: Bengals need another receiving option other than A.J Green. Wallace teamed up with A.J Green would instantly rival Roddy White and Julio for the best WR tandem in football; actually probably tip it in their favor imo (A.J is just too great). If Dalton makes a step this offseason, the Bengals are another solid weapon away from going further in the play offs imo. Their defense is great.

Greg Jennings:Texans: I think this would be the best over all fit for Jennings. Andre Johnson + Greg Jennings would be beast. There's no way Matt Schaub can't be successful with that combo. Matt Schaub needs another receiving option / threat then Andre Johnson (who IS balling but getting old) and under utilized Owen Daniels. They have one of the best RBs in the league and their offense is predicated off the run then play action. This would help their team out loads. They also have a more then serviceable defense on deck too.

:Bengals:

A.J Green is undoubtedly one of the best WRs in the league; currently my favorite (Been talking about how great he would be this season dating back to the preseason). A.J Green and a healthy Jennings would be a great Tandem imo. Dalton and A.J Green are already becoming the most dynamic 1-2 punch in their 1st two years. Adding Jennings would only make the situation better. They also have a very stout defense especially on that D-line. Very promising team in the near future. Dalton is another receiving option and a little progression away from getting further in the play offs.

:Vikings: This is my surprise pick. This move would make it much easier for Ponder. He has the best RB in the league, a Percy Harvin who can stretch the field (space opportunist), a rising star TE in Kyle Rudolph and adding a Greg Jennings would help that situation out loads. This would definitely help with Ponder's progression.

Other teams that I thought of were the Dolphins (natrually) and the Colts. The reason why I didn't choose them is because their QBs are so young and Jennings is past the half point of his career and has had injury problems. Jennings imo is more of a quick fix to a team then a long term solution.

Dwayne Bowe

:Steelers: I think Big Ben to Dwayne Bowe would be an awesome tandem. A physical play making WR teamed with Big Ben who is the best at breaking the pocket and biding time.

:dolphins: I think Ryan Tannehil could use a young talented WR like Bowe to help build their team.

:Colts::Redskins:(if RG3 is healthy) :Seahawks: I think Bowe with any of these young talented QBs would be a problem. I think he would be the most dynamic in the Redskins offense though.

:panthers: Carolina just struck me as another good landing spot for Bowe. Cam needs another receiver to take some pressure off of an aging Steve Smith and Dwayne Bowe can easily be the #1 receiver there. I believe this would be a great fit as well.

I have a lot of possible destinations for Bowe but imo I think he's the type of receiver that can fit in almost any mold/scheme. He's physical, can get off the line, a possession receiver and can beat you with the explosive plays. He's a great talent. He's had a small problem of dropping the ball in the past but his ceiling outweighs that by far.

Wes Welker :Patriots: I believe he would be best where he's at now. This is the team that groomed him to the great receiver he is and know how to use him best.

:Saints: If he didn't work things out with the Pats, I think the Saints would be the next best spot for him. I think Welker possibly match his production with another elite QB like Drew Brees in another dynamic offense.

Danny Amendola :Rams: I believe they Rams are building something over there and Danny could be a vital part in that.

:Patriots: If for whatever reason the pats and welker don't work out, the patriots can groom Amendola to be the new Welker.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

I think Jennings or Bowe ends up in Miami. Wouldn't surprise me if one of them landed in Minnesota either.

I think Wallace will end up staying with the Steelers, but if not, Indy is a likely spot for him.

I doubt Amendola or Welker hits the market, but if either does, I'd love to see the Bucs go after one of them.

I doubt Amendola or Welker hits the market, but if either does, I'd love to see the Bucs go after one of them.

Welker is too greedy to stay in NE. The Bucs can have him lol.

Wallace: :dolphins:

Jennings: :Packers: - If they don't bring Finley back then they have to bring back Jennings right?

Bowe: :Vikings:

Amendola: :Rams:

Welker: :Patriots: Really hope we bring him back. I doubt he'll take a paycut to stay here though.

Only way Jennings comes back to Green Bay is if he pulls a James Jones. Hits the market, realizes he is worth nothing close to what he thinks he is and then decides if he isn't going to get the $$$, he would just rather stay.

I can't see Bowe anywhere near Pittsburgh to be honest, especially after this Mike Wallace debacle.

Amendola should re-sign with the Rams, and Welker will probably be gone if he doesn't take a paycut. Not sure where he'll end up though, almost every team in the league could use a receiver like that, but not many will be able to afford him. Of the ones who could, the Colts and the Dolphins seem like the frontrunners.

I think the Bengals should go hard after Dwayne Bowe. They have the cap-space, and a trio of Dalton, Green and Bowe would be a scary matchup for any defense. Not sure what will happen to either Jennings or Wallace. Both are very good receivers who have been under-perfoming in recent times. I don't think they'll command the kind of salaries they are wanting, and could end up taking smaller money to go to a playoff-contender.

Edited by RANGA

Teams lacking weapons this off-season must be very excited. Lots of options in FA and tons of 1st/2nd round type guys in the draft.

I've said it before and Ill say it again. Carolina isn't going to land any big name free agents because our cap situation looks like, to quote one of my favorite movies, "Doomsday and Armageddon just had a baby. And its UGLY."

I would like to see the Redskins go after another solid WR, but with thier incredibly limited cap room ($4 million OVER) right now, we have much bigger needs on the roster. Besides, we had 5 receivers with 500+ yds this season, so while nobody put up monster numbers, they all did quite solid.

Greg Jennings:Texans: I think this would be the best over all fit for Jennings. Andre Johnson + Greg Jennings would be beast. There's no way Matt Schaub can't be successful with that combo. Matt Schaub needs another receiving option / threat then Andre Johnson (who IS balling but getting old) and under utilized Owen Daniels. They have one of the best RBs in the league and their offense is predicated off the run then play action. This would help their team out loads. They also have a more then serviceable defense on deck too.

While for obvious reasons it would be great to see Greg Jennings on the Texans, they just don't have any cap room to be signing any big name free agents. They're going to have a hard enough time re-signing their own "mid-tier" free agents. If they want a receiver (and trust me they do) it will have to be through the Draft.

Cordarrelle... :yep:

Don't count Philly out of the race for one of these guys. Some of them are young and the Eagles have the money to go get them.

Don't count Philly out of the race for one of these guys. Some of them are young and the Eagles have the money to go get them.

Be more specific. If the Eagles did make a move, who do you think they would be interested in?

Be more specific. If the Eagles did make a move, who do you think they would be interested in?

Mike Wallace has amazing speed, we all know Chip Kelly likes that. :D

Dwayne Bowe is really the guy I like the most in this class of WR free agents. I think that he could definitely land in a place like Miami.

The Seahawks should certainly go after Wallace, Bowe or Jennings. I'm still not that big of a believer that Welker could be as successful in another system as he was in New England. Amendola will get resigned by the Rams.

I can't imagine Bowe in another uni. Until it happens, I have him staying right where he's at.

Jennings is probably gone, and I can't see him taking a page out of the Brett Favre playbook and going to a division rival. I'm pretty sure he's gonna want to play for a title contender though after playing for the Pack for so long. Seattle, N.E., S.F., and Houston would all be good landing spots for Jennings.

Wallace is a one trick pony who's only realistic chance at a top-five payday exists in signing with a bad or young team in need of WR help in a bad way, imo. I could see him landing in Miami, Indy, Oakland, NYJ, Minnesota, or just staying home. I guess I could see Pete Carrol rolling the dice on him too, because Carrol is a wild card type of coach. Anyone could land in Seattle.

Welker is a tricky thing. You never know what's going on up there in N.E., so I'll say if he doesn't resign, I could see him in Indy, Buffalo, Cincinnati, S.F., or Chicago if they have the cap space.

Danny ain't going anywhere.

I will say to look out for the Browns trying to swoop one of these guys up. They have one of the worst WR situations in football and a new owner who wants to make a splash fast. He'll need to be one hell of a salesman to get big name guys to come play in Cleveland, but if they can put together any offense at all, they'll be dangerous.

Chicago is in dire need of something outside of Marshall, but some of that lies on Cutler. When you only throw to one guy, he's gonna look like all you have.

The Chargers are dead to me. They don't ever factor into any scenarios that I come up with. Just the way it is. Biggest paper tiger of the millennium.

Seen a report, on if we move on from Britt this year, we'll go hard after Bowe. I hope so, Bowe to our offense would be beast. Britt seems like he'll always stay in trouble.

Just pure speculation but I think Wallace would be the guy like Rain Man said because of his great speed, but I could maybe even seen us making a move for Harvin. I'd love to see what Chip Kelly would do with Percy Harvin. His injury history is a concern but man he could be so great in a Kelly offense.

Just pure speculation but I think Wallace would be the guy like Rain Man said because of his great speed, but I could maybe even seen us making a move for Harvin. I'd love to see what Chip Kelly would do with Percy Harvin. His injury history is a concern but man he could be so great in a Kelly offense.

The Eagles would have to trade for Harvin because he's not a free agent but I would prefer Harvin over Wallace as well. Harvin is more versatile.