RazorStar

Favourite Player?

I'm sure there are countless opinions on who the best players of all time are, I want to use this topic to talk about players who are your favourite. Whether it be all time, or current players, they're the guys you cheer for regardless of what they did.

Once upon a time when I was young and naive, it was the accursed Brett Favre. Time and constant retirements have changed that. While I've mellowed on my hatred of the man for being a flip flopping doucher, he'll never be close to my favourite player again.

So I'll talk about my real favourite player, who isn't a bronco surprisingly. Those my top 5 is mostly broncos (Champ Bailey, Rod Smith, Tom Nalen, Terrell Davis), my number one is Curtis Martin. The pinnacle of class, being a workhorse back, without the attitude. Probably one of the most under appreciated players to ever play the game, he was one of the few backs to survive the Parcells regiment of running a back into the ground, and coming out smelling a rose. He was the Andy Dufresne of football. Wait, that analogy doesn't quite work. In any case, what's not to love about the oldest player to ever win a rushing title at age 31, when most back hit the wall, he gets better with age. Just the epitome of a pure running back. And for that, he has my respect.

So tell us all about the players you respect.

• Upvote 1

My "Favourite" (British)?

That's a good question. I'll have to pick two.

Junior Seau, LB, 1990-2009: For people to understand why Charger fans love Junior so much, they really need to have lived in the area when he was playing for us. For all his struggles post-career, he was one of the greatest off-field guys the league has ever seen. His work with children in the community was so much more than the perfunctory charity work that you often see out of players who are doing their part to improve their image. He constantly went out of his way to try and make other peoples' lives better. And that's to say nothing about his play on the field, which was on caliber with the best to have ever played the game. It's a tragedy that he took his own life.

Seau.jpg

Dan Marino, QB, 1983-1999: In terms of pure talent and skill, I think Marino is the best to every play the quarterback position. The man didn't use progressions- he could simply see the whole field and find the open man. He also combined a great arm, lightning fast release, superb accuracy, and brilliant work within the pocket to be the most dangerous offensive player of his generation. The playoff struggles aside, I've never seen anyone play the position like he did and I firmly believe that if he had won a ring or two, he'd be widely regarded as the GOAT.

Dan-Marino-Miami.jpg

Reggie White is one of my favorite non-Browns players of all-time.

Favorite all-time Browns players:

1. Bernie Kosar
  2. Eric Metcalf
  3. Eric Turner (RIP)
  4. Josh Cribbs
  5. The Top Dawg - Hanford Dixson

• Upvote 1

My "Favourite" (British)?

Worse, he's Canadian.

• Upvote 1

My favorite Buc of all time.

tb_bucsalstott2_450.jpg

Other favorite players

Derrick Brooks

Warren Sapp

Ronde Barber

Joe Haden

Marshall Faulk

Torry Holt.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how being canadian is worse than being british. I mean, Bangy is from England, cut me some slack here.

• Upvote 2

Has to be Von miller for me, maybe one of the best football players drafted in the past 20 years and is just a hard worker and great teammate. Gotta love a guy who is constantly compared to Derrick Thomas and Lawrence Taylor

My favorite Buc of all time.

tb_bucsalstott2_450.jpg

Other favorite players

Derrick Brooks

Warren Sapp

Ronde Barber

Joe Haden

Marshall Faulk

Torry Holt.

Ya! Love the A-Train!!!

Worse, he's Canadian.

Ah... yes, Canadians colour their speech by poutting U's in wourds that we tuypically wouuldn't.

Well now you just sound silly.

• Upvote 1

Well now yo just sond silly.

Fixed. Talk like an American, dammit.

• Upvote 1

But blots, who are you to deny your canadian heritage?

• Upvote 1

Brett Favre

Barry Sanders

I loved the raw, unfiltered emotion that Favre played with. He just played with such an unparalleled passion and joy for the game. He looked and played like I always felt an athlete should feel about being blessed enough to play the game. And he had his failings too. He was a first ballot hall of famer and an everyman/backyard pick up game player all at the same time. You could probably list on one hand the number of similar athletes in all of professional sports to play that way.

Barry Sanders was just the most remarkably talented player I've ever seen. He wasn't big, and he wasn't fast. But he played so beautifully. I always remember the annual debates on Emmitt v. Barry and I never felt there was a question as to who was better. And I'll always respect his decision to retire before the game took away from him personally than it gave to him. From his first day in the league he was such a great role model.

Russell Wilson

There isn't the body of work clearly. But there is something tangible about his presence. He really transcends the game. And it's not that he just believes it. It's like he almost has no idea that he is. And you see it on the faces and in the voices of his team mates. I never had the pleasure to watch Joe Montana in person. I imagine it was kind of the same. Wilson really seems like he's not making the best use of his leadership talents by choosing to be an NFL player.

These three players just seem to be entirely unique in their own ways. Beyond just playing on the field or collecting trophies or awards. They are compelling human beings too.

Good one with Barry Sanders. Forgot about him, but damn was he electric to watch.

It started with Dan Marino for obvious reasons, but as I got older and more into football, Barry Sanders just stuck out like a sore thumb. I only really watched him play live a handful of times, but it was always a treat. But in the last few years, going over his highlight reels, the man was a physics defying nightmare of a runner. The only thing he couldn't really do is run through you, but he didn't have to because he had the lateral quickness to have you grabbing at air a half second later. He became one of the all-time leading rushers, while still having the all-time record for negative yards gained (IIRC), yet another ridiculous feat.

For all the love Emmitt got over his career, I don't think he deserves the same respect Barry does (warning: personal opinion). Smith had a line that could produce holes big enough for a semi to roll through at times. Sanders never saw that kind of production out of his hogs (I guess at the very least they provided big bodies for the defenders to have to run around). He did virtually all the work himself.

But what I love most about him is that he left with a little bit of gas left, leaving no doubt that he was one of the greatest from start to end. It's a hard thing to do...ask Favre. And I truly respect that about him. He ultimately didn't care about the record. He stopped when he felt he couldn't do it anymore. Playing for the Lions of that era, who can blame him? Imagine for a second how good Barry could have been behind a real O-line on a winning franchise...

Since the late 90s early 2000s and on:

Top 5 49ers:

Jeff Garcia

Frank Gore

Bryant Young

Patrick Willis

Ahmed Plummer

Other favorites:

Andre Johnson

Nate Clements

Todd Heap

Ahman Green

Julius Peppers

Suh's the only player in the league right now that falls under my category of favorite player.

Kaepernick and Megatron are rising though... Favorite of all time is Sanders, and Donovan Mcnabb.

Would never have guessed your favorite player was Donovan McNabb.

:troll:

• Upvote 1

All time, Walter Jones. Looking at that 2005 year where some decent to good players such as Matt Hasselbeck and Shaun Alexander went wild was very telling of Walter and his ability to pancake the DE's coming and then continue with the play and block more. He gelled Mack Strong, Steve Hutchinson, and the whole blocking unit together. Best draft pick this organization has ever made.

WalterJones.jpg

Earl Thomas. Most people like their favoUrite player for the numbers and the sexy stats. But when we drafted Earl Thomas I knew very little about him. Then those OTA pics and training camp pics started popping up, his reputation sprung in the preseason when he pick-sixed Favre and I heard the radio call from the boat and damn near capsized that bitch. Then I was given some row 2 seats for the first home preseason game one week later and took snaps of him and I believe Curry was rook that year two. I remember salivating over how beastly, ripped, tatted, and just ill-minded this dude looked. He had the decorated "future NFL star" reputation and mold, he brought that attitude starting that preseason, and he did what most top 14 picks can't do; he exceeded his pick value. He made me almost forget all about the pansy-powder puff defenses that the Seahawks, especially the line of safeties that came before him. Just for shits and giggles, they were Brian Russel, Lawyer Milloy, Mike Boulware, Deon Grant.

Found the picture. Earl Thomas before he ever played a regular season down:

40813_1490182607206_5249362_n.jpg

All-Time :Colts: Johnny Unitas What a QB

Past :Giants: Lawrence Taylor.. Great Tarheel great Giant

Current :panthers: Steve Smith and Cam Newton

Edited by DavethePanther

This is hard because there are a lot of players I love and respect who I didn't get to see play much or at all.

However, sticking to players who I was able to actually watch play. The obvious choice(s) would have to be Brett Favre. Not sure I really need to explain but he really got me into the game of football. He made it look so incredibly fun and it was just an honor to watch him play the game. And the other being Reggie White. The guy is a huge inspiration in my life and even though I never got the chance to meet him, I really felt I learned so much about him and almost had this... connection with him just by reading his books. Also a really great and special person off the field. :wub:

Another though would have to be the beast known as Priest Holmes.

0000PriestHolmes.jpg

This is just a guy who I respect immensely... Not for only what he has done on the field but what he has done off it. He's a great person on top of being a great player, and that definitely helps his case in my book.

I am also a sucker for a good story, and Priest brings that to the table as well. He comes into the league as an UDFA... He worked is ass off, paid his dues, and rose to the top like cream and speaking of which.. he was smooooooth as butter running that football.

He glided across the field and made it seem so effortless. He did it the right way. He fought for everything he ever had in life, and it just makes me smile thinking of the success he had in the NFL. :yep:

• Upvote 1

This is hard because there are a lot of players I love and respect who I didn't get to see play much or at all.

However, sticking to players who I was able to actually watch play. The obvious choice(s) would have to be Brett Favre. Not sure I really need to explain but he really got me into the game of football. He made it look so incredibly fun and it was just an honor to watch him play the game. And the other being Reggie White. The guy is a huge inspiration in my life and even though I never got the chance to meet him, I really felt I learned so much about him and almost had this... connection with him just by reading his books. Also a really great and special person off the field. :wub:

Another though would have to be the beast known as Priest Holmes.

0000PriestHolmes.jpg

This is just a guy who I respect immensely... Not for only what he has done on the field but what he has done off it. He's a great person on top of being a great player, and that definitely helps his case in my book.

I am also a sucker for a good story, and Priest brings that to the table as well. He comes into the league as an UDFA... He worked is ass off, paid his dues, and rose to the top like cream and speaking of which.. he was smooooooth as butter running that football.

He glided across the field and made it seem so effortless. He did it the right way. He fought for everything he ever had in life, and it just makes me smile thinking of the success he had in the NFL. :yep:

I remember him coming from Southern Mississippi because he used to beat up on East Carolina all the time. That was back in the day when Jeff Blake was QB for ECU.

I was looking on wikipedia about him and notice the exact word I was going to use for him. Gunslinger. He was one of those QB that would make things happen. Most times good sometimes bad but the epitomy of a Gunslinger. Jake Delhomme had it too. You grew to a love hate relationship cause you loved him when he pulled a rabbit out of his hat but hated him when he threw a pick at the most inopportune time.

Good player to be one of your favorites.

Dawk, Cunningham, McNabb, Westbrook, Reggie White

Non eagles: Barry Sanders, Matt Ryan, to an extent Mike Vick (pre dog case). In the case of Barry Sanders and Vick, they were guys that I would watch whatever game they were playing just to see what they would do next. I'm hesitant to put Vick on here but I think it should be mentioned that the dude was electrifying to watch in his early days and I used to tune in just to watch him play. I did always think he was a bit of a doucher though.

Edited by GA_Eagle

Tim Tebow followed by Barry Sanders, Brett Favre, and John Elway