Phins4life

What Might Have Been...

I got to thinking about some of the players whose careers never got a chance to become something more. The easy name that stuck out was Bo. But then I also thought about Sterling Sharpe...cut short by back injuries (I think).

And what about Dan Morgan? If only...

So let's hear them. People with promise whose careers were cut short by injuries, crime, etc.

Atlanta Falcons

Jerious Norwood - This name may not be flashy, and many probably haven't ever heard of Norwood before. Let me say this though, this kid was amazing. If you go back in time a few years, what you hear about Jamaal Charles and his lightning speed, quick feet and big play ability. That was Norwood. Norwood was all the rage in Atlanta and everyone was stoked when he was drafted. The problem, it was like he was made of glass. He was an amazing dual threat, and while he didn't break a lot of tackles in general, the defenders just couldn't get their hands on him. I can't count on both my hands how many rushes the guy took right up the gut into a huge pile and next thing you know you can't even see him. The play looks like it's going to be blown down, then he bursts out with speed and takes off. The kid was amazing. I was heart broken when they let him go, but after his biggest injury 2 games in a couple years ago, everyone knew he wasn't going to be the same. It was an absolute shame to see such amazing talent go to waste. The only thing that EVER kept him from being a starter was the fact that he was injury prone.

Other teams

Ickey Woods - The one guy I will always mention in threads like this. Ickey Woods could have been one hell of a back. He may have been fine after even his ACL tear if he didn't rip his other knee to shreads in 91.

Barry Foster - How about this Steelers running back? 915 Carries, 3943 yards, 26 TDs

Billy Sims - 5 years of football, over 5000 rushing yards. That's pretty damned good. What if this guy was never injured?

• Upvote 1

And I completely forgot about Gale Sayers, too.

How about Bo Jackson. I dont feel sorry because I think he was a douche but he could have been spectacular.

Mike Williams.

Definitely Sterling Sharpe.

Dan Cody

I'm a Vikings fan but I was sad to see Packers safety Nick Collins having his career cut short by a neck injury at age 28. He very easily could have made a difference in 2011 between the 15-1 Packers losing to the Giants or making the Super Bowl.

• Upvote 2

We just did this recently, but no harm in doing it again.

You can add Randy Moss. Had he the work ethic of a Jerry Rice, he would have been unstoppable and may have very well come very close to beating Rices records.

We just did this recently, but no harm in doing it again.

You can add Randy Moss. Had he the work ethic of a Jerry Rice, he would have been unstoppable and may have very well come very close to beating Rices records.

My fault for not looking it up :facepalm:

We can merge it with the other thread if need be.

Lets not forget a story just as sad as Sean Taylor's, darrent Williams RIP. shot to death because a gang member didnt like the way some broncos players celebrated the end of a season in a private area in club smh messed our team up for a long time

• Upvote 2

And with a better defense, better weapons and all, what is Peytons playoff record in Denver versus Tebow's ? With that same stout defense, and talented offense he threw a big 0'fer in the playoffs. I dont see you being a condescending prick asking whether Peyton played defense to keep the scores close, or lead the team in rushing which tebow definitely was closer.

I'm not being a condescending prick when I correct people who think tebow was the team when more props should go to the defense and too Matt prater. What was tebows regular season record? What were his passing numbers? Not even close to mannings I can tell you that. I couldn't care less about their playoff record especially since every single player except one let us down against Baltimore, not just manning so I don't care about playoff record. Tebow is a bum at QB and will be out of the league in 2 years if he doesn't change positions while Peyton is a HOF. Get the hell out of here with that playoff record crap it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Edited by Crash

David Pollack. 3 time SEC First Team. 3 time All-American. 2 time SEC player of the year. Chuck Bednarik award winner. Lott trophy winner. Lombardi award winner. 2 time Ted Hendricks award. Part of the Florida-Georgia hall of fame. Only played for 2 years before he broke his neck/back. Could never come back from it. He really could have been something special.

• Upvote 1

I'm a Vikings fan but I was sad to see Packers safety Nick Collins having his career cut short by a neck injury at age 28. He very easily could have made a difference in 2011 between the 15-1 Packers losing to the Giants or making the Super Bowl.

Thinking about Nick still depresses me. Such a great player entering the prime of his career. If only...

Nick-Collins.jpg

Terrell Davis. John Mobley as well, he was well on his way to becoming a dominant LB before he tore his ACL and then had a spine injury a few years later.

• Upvote 2

Terrell Davis. John Mobley as well, he was well on his way to becoming a dominant LB before he tore his ACL and then had a spine injury a few years later.

Good call.

Terrel Davis blew out his knee (ACL and MCL if I remember right), Ki Jana Carter blew out his knee and was never the same and then there was Keith Millard and a knee injury. Don't forget Earl Campbell whose career ended early cause of too many carries and damage to his body and Al Toon had to quit cause of concussions.

Here is a good one for you. Robert Edwards Rookie Running back for New England. The article I just read said he blew out his knee during a flag football game which is highly possible but I thought it was an achilles and it was during a football game at the beach.

Anyone else remember this guy and the actual incident. I just remember him going to the pro bowl and then never hearing from him again. What a pure disappointment that was.

Dan Morgan would have been a beast if he could have stayed away from the concussions. I think he owns a Super Bowl record with most tackles at 25.

This may sound extreme, but the Daute Cullpepper-Randy Moss combo.

They're not brought up much because they wound up having successful careers anyway, but Brett Favre and Steve McNair having careers where they weren't hurt every single week would have been fun to see.

Am I the only one who feels like humming "the way we were" when they read threads like this? :(

:p

They're not brought up much because they wound up having successful careers anyway, but Brett Favre and Steve McNair having careers where they weren't hurt every single week would have been fun to see.

Brett Favre was like one of the healthiest players in Nfl history...

How about this for a what if scenario:

A.J. Smith decides that Drew Brees is the franchise QB, leverages the Eli Manning pick for Larry Fitzgerald instead of Philip Rivers, and the Chargers field Brees, Tomlinson, Gates, and Fitz at the same time- all in their primes in 2007. That would have been an offense to behold...

Edited by KempBolt

That would have been ridiculous. You guys could have gotten L.T a ring. He definitely deserved one.

That would have been ridiculous. You guys could have gotten L.T a ring. He definitely deserved one.

Especially since in 06 and 07 we still have Merriman roided up and ready to go.