AL_Royalty

Are 11-6 Chiefs for real?

Chiefs defense has only given up 11 TDs on the season but have scored 6.

The Chiefs defense is very impressive and that's a very impressive stat but the QB's they've played are as follows: Blaine Gabbert(lol), Chad Henne(lol), Tony Romo, Michael Vick(lol), Eli Manning (leads the league in INT's), Ryan Fitzpatrick(lol), Terrelle Pryor, Case Keenum(First ever start), Jason Campbell (started 28 games in the last 3 years), and Jeff Tuel (3rd string rookie QB on a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 1999)

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

1. Getting to 9-0 without a passing game is a remarkable feat. It’s also a recipe for ultimate disaster.

You can quote Alex Smith’s amazing 26-4-1 record over his last 31 starts all you want as fact of his excellence, but sometimes you have to dig at least a little bit to get at some truth.

Smith “won” a 23-13 game in Buffalo Sunday as the Chiefs went to 9-0, but let’s not give No. 11 too much credit.

For the fourth time in five weeks, he threw no touchdowns. His 4.28 yards per attempt marked the six straight week he’d been under the league average of 7.2 yards per attempt .

But his defense (two touchdowns) outscored his offense (three field goals) and the opposition (13 points for a Bills team with more heart than sense).

And so all is well! Except that it’s not.

Andy Reid is getting the most out of what he’s got, but the Chiefs have yet to top 400 yards of offense once all season and they are a Jamaal Charles hamstring pull from real trouble.

The last few Super Bowl champs have all averaged at least 400 en route to their Lombardi Trophies, and have all passed the ball the best when the chips were down.

If the Chiefs can’t figure out a way to move the ball they seem doomed to an NFL Films video with lots of regular-season highlights and a sad postscript.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/all-alex-smith-does-is-win-and-suck/26389/

Chiefs defense has only given up 11 TDs on the season but have scored 6.

and their offense has only scored 16, which is better than only Baltimore (15) Pittsburgh (15) NY Giants (15) Oakland (15) Houston (14) NY Jets (13) Tampa Bay (12) and Jacksonville (7), only one of those teams is over .500 (Jets at 5-4) and they have a combined 17-48 record, also the Jets are the only one of those eight teams that, like the Chiefs, have played 9 games

Edited by oochymp

Maybe the name of this thread needs to be "How Real ARE the Chiefs?"

Honestly we should have defined "real" early on...but the Chiefs very well could have a legitimate shot at the superbowl if they can win home field advantage.

This thread continues to have a large percentage of it's talk aimed not at the chiefs exactly but more at Alex Smith at quarterback. I will readily admit that he isn't going to win too many games with his arm. The truth of the matter is though he is not going to lose too many games either. For a defensive minded run first team like the chiefs that seems to be just the ticket for success.

Maybe the name of this thread needs to be "How Real ARE the Chiefs?"

Honestly we should have defined "real" early on...but the Chiefs very well could have a legitimate shot at the superbowl if they can win home field advantage.

This thread continues to have a large percentage of it's talk aimed not at the chiefs exactly but more at Alex Smith at quarterback. I will readily admit that he isn't going to win too many games with his arm. The truth of the matter is though he is not going to lose too many games either. For a defensive minded run first team like the chiefs that seems to be just the ticket for success.

Yeah, I was talking bout this before, too. It's a Chiefs thread that has skewed in the direction of being an Alex Smith Bash-fest. I suppose that there's nothing wrong with that, especially since that is seeming to be the main point of concern as to whether this team can do anything substantial this season. Still, I feel like one thing (Smith's below average status?) does not necessarily equal the other (the Chiefs being doomed.)

I know what horrible QB play can do to a team. I've watched Matt Cassel drive the Chiefs off of a cliff, I've seen Tyler Palko stay that course, and I've seen Brady Quinn jump on en route to the inevitable explosion at the base of the mountain. I can tell you that Alex Smith is not that. For what it's worth, even though he's not setting the world on fire, he's a big part of the reason that this team is experiencing success right now.

If Charles stays healthy, and if the defense does as well, this team has as much of a shot as any other team in the league, and definitely in the AFC. They're gonna get to the playoffs. That's all but guaranteed at this point. What they do after that is as of now wide open. Soon though, we're all going to have a much more "clear" idea of what this team is made of. Next week they get the bye, which couldn't come at a better time. After that the schedule looks like this...

@ Denver

vs. Chargers

vs. Denver

@ Washington

@ Oakland

vs. Indy

@ Chargers

Only Washington and Oakland are under .500, so to everyone that wants to see what happens when they play tougher competition—myself included—it's coming, and very soon.

Only Washington and Oakland are under .500, so to everyone that wants to see what happens when they play tougher competition—myself included—it's coming, and very soon.

Not sure how this keeps getting traction. Currently the Chiefs SOS stands at at .529 for the year. Only the Colts at .500 have a non losing SOS for all current playoff teams.

Their SOS stands 9th in the entire NFL. Which is a feat considering the other 8 factor in their own putrid records. At some point fans will need to concede this falsehood. KC has faced the hardest schedule by a wide margin even factoring in their undefeated record.

Not sure how this keeps getting traction. Currently the Chiefs SOS stands at at .529 for the year. Only the Colts at .500 have a non losing SOS for all current playoff teams.

Their SOS stands 9th in the entire NFL. Which is a feat considering the other 8 factor in their own putrid records. At some point fans will need to concede this falsehood. KC has faced the hardest schedule by a wide margin even factoring in their undefeated record.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers, but the Chiefs opponents have a total record (which determines SOS) of 27-49, or .355 (their opponents so far: Jax 0-8, Dal 5-4, Phi 4-5, NYG 2-6, Ten 4-4, Oak 3-5, Hou 2-6, Cle 4-5, Buf 3-6) even if you factor in the fact that 9 of those opponents' losses were to the Chiefs and throw those games out, the combined record is still 27-40, .403, I don't know where the rest of the league is but there's no way the Chiefs' schedule so far is anywhere near the top ten toughest

Chiefs defense is monstrous. The rest of their schedule is relatively easy compared to some of the others I've seen. Chiefs know what they are and aren't capable of. Chiefs are going to to everything in their power to not just stop you, but to score on defense at the same time. Looking forward to how they deal with the Broncos passing game

I think Alex Smith can eventually get hot, because while he's not the greatest QB, he's capable of quite a bit more than this.

Is Moeaki out for the season or something?

I think Alex Smith can eventually get hot, because while he's not the greatest QB, he's capable of quite a bit more than this.

Is Moeaki out for the season or something?

Chiefs release Tony Moeaki from injured reserve
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on October 24, 2013, 1:20 AM EST
tony-moeaki.jpg?w=145AP

The Kansas City Chiefs released tight end Tony Moeaki with an injury settlement from injured reserve on Wednesday.

A third-round selection by the Chiefs in 2010, Moeaki was placed on injured reserve in August after fracturing his shoulder. It’s the second time he’d landed on injured reserve in four seasons in Kansas City. He also missed the entirety of the 2011 season with a knee injury.

When he was on the field, Moeaki proved to be a decent receiving option for the Chiefs. He caught 47 passes for 556 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie and 33 passes for 453 yards and a touchdown last season. He’s played in 30 games during his tenure in Kansas City.

If Moeaki gets healthy enough to play again this season, he will be free to sign with any team as a free agent.

Chiefs waived-injured Tony Moeaki, Ricky Henry
nfpost-logo_023517.gif
By Aaron Wilson August 31, 2013 8:50 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs waived-injured tight end Tony Moeaki and offensive guard Ricky Henry.

“After taking our time in evaluating each player thoroughly, we’ve narrowed our roster down,” Chiefs general manager John Dorsey said. “The men we let go today put in a substantial amount of work for our club and we are grateful for their efforts. We feel like we have a good foundation and we will continue to look to build our roster in the best interests of the team.”

Now if you look at the dates on these two pieces of news, you'll understand why I was a little surprised to see that we dropped him two weeks ago. I was under the impression that they had let him go in the preseason. Apparently they did. I was still a bit confused, but he was, in fact, cut twice by the club.

Tony Moeaki Parts Ways With Chiefs…Again
horizontal_fancred_white_73x22.png

By Jason Seibel -

Oct 23rd, 2013 at 3:25 pm

6810388.jpg

The Kansas City Chiefs have permanently cut ties with veteran tight end, Tony Moeaki who fractured his shoulder scapula during the preseason.

The Chiefs front office originally released the oft injured Moeaki on August 31st after he was hurt following the final preseason game. However, since he was injured when he was released and wasn’t claimed on waivers by another team, he reverted back to the Chiefs roster on injured reserve.

According to this report by National Football Post, the team has reached an injury settlement with Moeaki and has waived him from their injured reserve list. He will now go to the waiver wire and be eligible to be signed by another team. The report says he will be healthy and ready to play by week 11, so he could be a viable option, albeit a risky one, for a team needing tight end help.

Moeaki was drafted by the Chiefs with the 93rd overall pick in the 2010 draft out of Iowa. After a hot and cold rookie season, he sat out the 2011 season as one of the “ACL Trio” along with Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles and safety Eric Berry.

Although Tony never materialized into the replacement for the other Tony, he will probably be most remembered for his leaping, one handed catch in the back of the end zone against the San Francisco 49ers his rookie year. He ends his Chiefs career with 80 catches for 1,009 yards and four touchdowns.

Good luck, Tony. We here at Arrowhead Addict wish you well.

Good question, Bware. I'm really glad you asked it. I didn't know all of that procedural stuff. Good to know.

It's pretty sad though really. He was such a promising young prospect, but outside of his rookie season he's done absolutely nothing. Even in 2012, when he was healthy, he still bombed hard. Of course, everyone but Bowe—who still had the worst complete season of his career—bombed that year. They finished 2-12 behind the worst QB tandem in the NFL, possibly ever.

I hope he catches on somewhere else that ISN'T in the AFC West.

baby_andy_reid.0_standard_783.0.jpg

It's a good thing this kid didn't go trick or treating at Sean's house. One, two, Andy's coming for you.

Scariest Halloween costume he's ever seen, seeing as Andy Reid is responsible for every tragedy that has ever rocked Philly. From Tom Hanks getting aids, to the death of Appolo Creed, to the Eagles never having won a Super Bowl. All Andy Reid's fault. :troll:

Quit hatin'.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers, but the Chiefs opponents have a total record (which determines SOS) of 27-49, or .355 (their opponents so far: Jax 0-8, Dal 5-4, Phi 4-5, NYG 2-6, Ten 4-4, Oak 3-5, Hou 2-6, Cle 4-5, Buf 3-6) even if you factor in the fact that 9 of those opponents' losses were to the Chiefs and throw those games out, the combined record is still 27-40, .403, I don't know where the rest of the league is but there's no way the Chiefs' schedule so far is anywhere near the top ten toughest

I'm pretty puzzled as well. I thought that maybe he was factoring in the last seven games they're going to play, but even if you do that it's still a 61-71 record for all opponents for 2013. Mr. "The Hawk," Please explain yourself.

Not only are KC opponents to date 27-49, but they've also faced a backup QB in 4 of their 9 games so far this season. So a team like Tennessee, which has the 2nd best record of any team KC has faced (and thus contributes the 2nd most to their SOS) was weakened at their most important position when the Chiefs faced them. Not their fault, but just further reason why arguing for the Chiefs having had a tough slate to this point in the season is actually bullshit.

The Peyton Manning Broncos have been held to under 20 points only once -- and that was done by a Chiefs squad that was far inferior to the one they will be facing the week after next.

With that said... What happens when/if the Chiefs get blown out at Mile High? Anything change?

I dunno. For the last four weeks I've been taking a good hard look at the fact that the Chiefs havn't played the Broncos yet, and when they too, the lion will be tamed. However, look at Peyton Manning's weaknesses throughout the entirety of his career. Why was he so vulnerable in the playoffs? I'll give you four reasons.

1. New England

2. Pittsburgh

3. Baltimore

4. San Diego

These teams all were equipped with very stout, 3-4 defenses who's biggest strength was making sure Peyton hurried every throw. I can't remember a time when Peyton lit up the league's top defense. The AFC defenses aren't awful, but certainly not anywhere close to having the strength that the Patriots and Steelers often threw at Peyton. Peyton is the best quarterback in the game at making pre-snap adjustments based on what the defense shows him at the line. However, when you took a Steelers defense, for example, that made a living off of stacking the box with the 3-4 and disguising which of the linebackers/safeties were blitzing and which were dropping back into zone coverage, and in almost all cases they would rush only four and drop seven, and still get to Peyton in about three seconds, Peyton showed how beatable he was to the point where people considered Tom Brady a better quarterback.

I'm not saying the Chiefs defense is anything close to that of a Dick Lebeau/Bill Belichick defense from the mid 2000's, but with having the superior defense in the AFC, and having the 3-4 personel that they have, we know for a fact that they are going to get the best of Peyton on a significant number of plays in these match-ups.

Edited by BC

Well, Baltimore and Indianapolis are both top 10 scoring defenses (10th and 7th respectively) and run 3-4 schemes. Peyton is a collective 56/91, 62%, 848 yards, 9.3 YPA, 10 TD, 1 INT against them this year.

Last year he faced 3-4 defenses in #1 ranked PIT and #7 ranked HOU. Was a combined 45/78, 58%, 583 yards, 7.5 YPA, 4 TD, 0 INT.

So recently he hasn't struggled against the great 3-4 defenses he's faced, despite that being a common narrative over the course of his career.

I'm wondering what a win on Sunday night would mean to the Chiefs doubters. If they go into Denver in prime time, in front of the whole country, does that change the way they're viewed? Do they have to win to turn heads? What if they lose a close one? How much of An effect does this game have on the overall opinion of the skeptics out there?

If they give the Broncos a game, the haters should shut up. Regardless of outcome.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully, but I don't think so. Lol. Even if they get embarrassed though.. They will walk into the playoffs, maybe even get a win depending on the matchup and finish with one of the greatest turnarounds in NFL history. Not too, shabby.

Hopefully, but I don't think so. Lol. Even if they get embarrassed though.. They will walk into the playoffs, maybe even get a win depending on the matchup and finish with one of the greatest turnarounds in NFL history. Not too, shabby.

At this point, it's EASILY the BEST turnaround in NFL history. I reallllly want to see them win a playoff game, at least though. I need this in my life.

You're probably right though. No matter what happens, haters gunna hate."But, but, but Manning's ankle." "But,. but, but the Broncos are overrated too."

I'm wondering what a win on Sunday night would mean to the Chiefs doubters. If they go into Denver in prime time, in front of the whole country, does that change the way they're viewed? Do they have to win to turn heads? What if they lose a close one? How much of An effect does this game have on the overall opinion of the skeptics out there?

It would definitely change the way I look at them, but I'd still want to see them play a couple more playoff caliber teams. None of the teams they've played to this point have winning records atm. By seasons end they may very well have only played 3 or 4 games against teams with winning records. Two of those games coming against the Broncos and one against the winner of the (lol)NFCE. If they come into the playoffs having been swept by Denver idc if they're 14-2, they're a LOCK to go 1 and done.

That said, if they keep these numbers up then it stands to reason that the Broncos, who are averaging 42.6 points per game, will still score between 24 points (56% of their average) and 34 points (8 less than their average) the highest totals the Chiefs have had are on the low end of that range, not sure what can be read into this, but it's interesting to look at and has kept me occupied through class :p

nailed it

Are the 9-2 Chiefs for real?

• Upvote 1

Any news on the injuries to Houston and Hali?

I mean, on a positive note for KC,at least they finally scored some points. The Chargers defense isn't the best but they're not completely terrible. I still think they're frauds but they definitely needed a game where the offense produces like they did today.Jamaal Charles dominated. Alex Smith was efficient. They'd better hope at least one of their pass rushers can come back though because that defense can be beat in the secondary.