Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Jim Schwartz on hot seat?

According to the NFL Network, the Lions need to make the playoffs in order for coach Jim Schwartz to keep his job.

Monday night's home loss to the Ravens could be the nail in Schwartz's coffin. In order to make the playoffs, the Lions will need to win out and have both the Packers and Bears lose at least one game. Schwartz's team has dropped four of their last five games and are 7-7 on the season, leaving his career mark at just 29-49. He's made the playoffs once since taking over in 2009.

Even if they make the playoffs, I think they need to make some noise as well. The fact that they haven't grabbed a hold of this division with Cutler and Rodgers both missing significant time is a complete embarrassment.

I guess Schwartz deserves a lot of blame, but I don't think he should be fired. Coaches coach and players play. That defense should be a hell of a lot better than it is with that d-line. Gunther Cunningham, while a great defensive mind, should be the one on the hotseat.

No player discipline, can't make adjustments, terrible time management, awful offensive play-calling, oblivious to when to take risks, and when not to, lackluster player development, etc.

This coaching staff has it all. I've been asking for Linehan's head since year one, and been asking for this entire staff's head since year two.

This team has the talent to compete with any team in the league and win I still believe that. I'm tired of seeing the Lions under performing because every game they beat each other for the apposing team. Even if the Lions make the playoffs, unless they make some noise, I want them all gone. Mayhew saved himself with what I believe was a A+ offseason.

No player discipline, can't make adjustments, terrible time management, awful offensive play-calling, oblivious to when to take risks, and when not to, lackluster player development, etc.

This coaching staff has it all. I've been asking for Linehan's head since year one, and been asking for this entire staff's head since year two.

This team has the talent to compete with any team in the league and win I still believe that. I'm tired of seeing the Lions under performing because every game they beat each other for the apposing team. Even if the Lions make the playoffs, unless they make some noise, I want them all gone. Mayhew saved himself with what I believe was a A+ offseason.

Dmac pretty much nailed it here. Schwartz has no control over his players and it shows in games.

and have both the Packers and Bears lose at least one game

Well that means the Lions are eliminated if both GB and CHI win this week.

Edited by Thanatos19

Sadface, were done. Schwartz has to go. Up with an easy schedule and competition injured, we went 1-5. An impressive 1 but overall a terrible stretch.

I consider myself very forgiving of him he did do a lot for us. Dmac nailed it in this regard, bad coaching, we can do a lot better.

The unfortunate thing is so far, and it's early but so far, I'm not too psyched on this years potential coaching pool.

Packers and Bears both lose... But Lions get eliminated by the Giants. Ugh. lmao

In the end, he pulled them out of a horrendous spot, but Schwartz was just a hothead who wasn't capable of taking a talented team and teaching them composure, and therefore they fell apart when it mattered.

I don't like the way this team is constructed. It relies too heavily on Tron/Bush/Stafford, the latter of which will fold without Calvin. I think their defense has some real potential in the coming years, but I'd like to see this offense gain a little more balance and a little more ambiguity.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Sadface, were done. Schwartz has to go. Up with an easy schedule and competition injured, we went 1-5. An impressive 1 but overall a terrible stretch.

I consider myself very forgiving of him he did do a lot for us. Dmac nailed it in this regard, bad coaching, we can do a lot better.

The unfortunate thing is so far, and it's early but so far, I'm not too psyched on this years potential coaching pool.

Really? Like who? lol. I've been underwhelmed with the names already floating around...

Really? Like who? lol. I've been underwhelmed with the names already floating around...

He said not :troll:

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Lions coaches "think and fear" they are out, and that GM Martin Mayhew could also be let go.

Per Rapoport, the Lions' front office and coaching staff are "barely talking," and have been dealing with "big issues." The issues in Detroit are far more on the coaching than personnel side, but Mayhew has struggled to stock his defense outside of the defensive line, and comprehensively failed to find receiving threats opposite Calvin Johnson. A total reset may do a talented roster well.

Is it really Mayhew's fault? He's put more talent on the roster and he should get fired because it's not quite good enough? Schwartz should be the fall guy, IMO.

Welp.

NFL.com's Mike Silver reports 49ers OC Greg Roman would be "very, very interested" in the Lions' head-coaching vacancy if Jim Schwartz were fired.

Schwartz is tentatively expected to be relieved of his duties, perhaps as soon as tomorrow's "Black Monday." Roman has been San Francisco's offensive coordinator throughout Jim Harbaugh's 49ers tenure, following him from Stanford. Roman has lower-level assistant experience with the Panthers, Texans, and Ravens, but has never been a head coach at any level. The presence of Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, and Reggie Bush would naturally make the Lions' job attractive to any offensive-minded coach.

Citing league sources, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Lions ownership is currently "on the fence" about whether to fire coach Jim Schwartz, and is now "leaning towards keeping him."

Schefter is arguably the most reliable NFL reporter out there, but this would be a big surprise after Detroit's late-season collapse. NFL Network reported in mid-December that Schwartz would almost certainly be fired if the Lions missed the playoffs, and they were eliminated from contention last week. Toward the end of regulation, Schwartz cussed out fans for booing play calls. Schwartz's record as Lions head coach is 29-47 (.382) with one one-and-done postseason berth.

YES! Keep that douchebag!

Come on Detroit, we know you like to choke and this would be the biggest choke of all.

I think most people saw this coming before the season began, it all depended on the team performance.

No real surprise. If they can get a coah that will hold players accountable, they could be good.