Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

Bucs to hire Lovie Smith

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Lovie Smith will be the Buccaneers' next head coach.

Credit ESPN's Adam Schefter for first tabbing Smith as the heavy favorite to coach Tampa Bay, and Glazer for breaking news of the actual hire. Previous reports have indicated Smith will be accompanied by Jeff Tedford to coordinate the Bucs' offense, and Leslie Frazier to run the defense. Turning 56 in May, Smith spent 2013 out of football after being fired by the Bears, where he was head coach for nine years and earned a 81-63 career record with one Super Bowl berth. Smith will be set up for success with the Bucs, who have a far more talented roster than their 4-12 2013 record suggests. The Bucs are hiring Smith before picking a general manager, which suggests Lovie will have plenty of personnel power. We'd view this as a fairly high-risk hire despite his successful head-coaching track record.

I can dig it.

So a coach known for supreme ineptitude on offense is going to fix Tampa, where their biggest problem is offense?

Overrated coach. Bad hire.

• Downvote 1

So a coach known for supreme ineptitude on offense is going to fix Tampa, where their biggest problem is offense?

Didn't realize Lovie coached offense. Who knew.

Didn't realize Lovie coached offense. Who knew.

He doesn't, no, but he failed hard at finding the right coordinator over the years, and for some reason fired Martz after he and Cutler had really started clicking.

Lovie would still be in Chicago if he hadn't fired Martz over the offense going to shit after Cutler got injured and he had to work with backup QBs.

I like Tedford handling the offense. He doesn't really have NFL experience, so it might not be the greatest transition.. but it's more than worth a shot, IMO.

Guest Phailadelphia

I like this hire a lot for TB. That defense is gonna be goooooood.

Lavonte David's hall of fame campaign begins.

Former Cal coach Jeff Tedford will be Lovie Smith's OC, and Rod Marinelli will be the Bucs' defensive coordinator, ESPN is reporting.

Shut up bware. Martz was terrible and so is his scheme.

And yet prior to Cutler's injury, he and Martz had turned the offense into a well oiled machine.

And yet prior to Cutler's injury, he and Martz had turned the offense into a well oiled machine.

:yao: yes the constant throwing it 30 plus times a games while the qb is getting sacked 6 times a game, the ability to ignore the running game and tight ends as well is a well "oiled machine"

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 2

ESPN NFC North blogger Pat Yasinskas is "hearing" the Bucs will hire Rod Marinelli as defensive coordinator.

Lovie Smith would be tabbing longtime pal Marinelli over Leslie Frazier, who could still be brought on in a position coach/"assistant head coach" role. The hangup with Marinelli was the fact that he coached Dallas' defensive line in 2013, and was still under contract with the Cowboys in 2014. Per NFL rules, position coaches must be formally released by their teams to accept anything below a head-coaching job. So Jerry Jones must've agreed to let Marinelli go.

Look for the Bucs to continue the NFC South's pattern of chaos and win 12 games next year. Great hire.

Many, myself among them, have wondered about Revis in Smith's defense. But I read last night that in Lovie's last year in Chicago, he used cover-1 man more than any other coverage. The concerns about forcing Darrelle into a zone seem to be overblown.

• Upvote 2

Lovie firing Martz cost him his job? RIIIGHT. In Martz first season there they were ranked almost last in offense with no big injuries at all.

Revis played great all year.. I wouldn't be worried about him regardless of the defense Lovie brings to Tampa.

• Upvote 1

If the Bucs cut Revis after one year, which he was productive coming off an injury. I'd lose my mind. We already went in on Revis, you gotta believe a new coach could get the most out of him.

Cutting Revis makes no sense at all. The team has plenty of cap room.

Cutting Revis makes no sense at all. The team has plenty of cap room.

People are liking to spread this rumor, I'm guessing because it would cost the Bucs nothing but what is the point of freeing up that money? We aren't going to use it on anyone better. Plus we would've traded a 1st and 3rd for one year lol.

@RapSheet 33m There were questions about how Lovie Smith would use Darrelle Revis. I’m told he has big plans for Revis. Absolutely has a future in TB

lol at the cutting Revis rumors.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_24843445/fired-vikings-coach-frazier-accepts-tampa-bay-job

Frazier apparently the new DC. YIKES.

EDIT: If they can get a good OC, then the Bucs will be potent in a few years. Bucs players are going to love him.

Edited by OSUViking