housemd

Rams GM committed to Sam Bradford

Rams GM Les Snead "again made it clear" Thursday that the franchise is committed to Sam Bradford as its 2014 quarterback.

The Rams have the No. 2 pick in May's draft -- an ideal spot to select a new signal caller -- but they seem sold on Bradford as the quarterback of the future. "As we’ve said, Sam’s our starting QB," Snead declared. "And maybe that’s too way out of the box to take a QB that high. I don't know if that's the wisest thing." Snead has dropped multiple hints that the No. 2 selection will be for sale to the highest bidder. If St. Louis can't trade out and is truly hellbent on keeping Bradford, Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews could be a "safe" fallback plan.

He actually wasn't too bad this season when he was healthy. But that's 15 games he's missed already, in just 4 seasons :shrug:

This organization gets way too attached to their decisions of the past.

So the Rams are committed to mediocrity at the QB position when they play 3 of the toughest defenses in the league for 6 games a year?

Makes sense to me...

This would be a mistake. They have an opportunity to secure a franchise QB after they traded the 2nd overall pick and that's on top of all the other picks they got. Bradford can't stay healthy and he really hasn't shown much when he is.

Just a smoke screen, if they have any brains.

They could stick with Bradford for one more season the QB's in this class really aren't great.

Edited by Sacks98

Watch the rams fuck up this chance to become a real team with all these picks

I'm kind of torn.

Bradford always looks like he should be a good QB. Yet I'm almost always pleased with the results when he plays against us. He couldn't even beat Charlie Whitehurst with the division title on the line.

I'd like the Rams to keep him. But I'm also worried he might actually put his career on track at some point too.

I like Braford. I think if he actually had some offensive weapons (receivers) he would fare way better. He's never had much to work with. The Rams have a lot of picks. I'd love to see the Rams surround him with talent.

Either trade out or pick up Watkins. They can probably do both.

Sam Bradford's 2014 salary cap cost is $17.6 million.

For comparison across the NFC West, Carson Palmer's cap number is $10 million, while Russell Wilson's is $817,000 and Colin Kaepernick costs $1.6 million. Despite the obvious cap room St. Louis would clear by using the No. 2 overall draft pick on a quarterback, the Rams have been repeatedly, publicly committed to Bradford. Whether Bradford emerges as the franchise quarterback GM Les Snead seems to believe he'll be, adamantly, will play a major role in determining the legacy of Snead and coach Jeff Fisher in St. Louis.

GM Les Snead said he doesn't think the Rams need another receiver.

Tavon Austin led all Rams receivers with just 40 grabs in 2013, and Chris Givens (34 catches) / Austin Pettis (38) project as complementary receivers down the line. That leaves the 6'4/220 Brian Quick as the only real candidate to develop into a go-to wideout on the outside. We haven't seen any real signs of that yet, but Snead appears confident in his corps. "I think our receivers right now, I truly believe as they progress ... we cannot have another receiver around here," he said. "And we're going to be a good football team." The Rams hold the Nos. 2 and 13 overall picks in the draft.

Receiver makes no sense for the Rams, they got a bunch of young guys who could all develop quite nicely. QB is probably the number one need, but they need support in the secondary since Finnegan seems to have fallen off a cliff.

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner believes the chances of St. Louis drafting a quarterback at No. 2 and cutting Sam Bradford are "about as close as possible to zero."

Wagoner acknowledges "things can change," but for now the Rams are heaping support behind Bradford despite his average-to-below-average play through four seasons, and persistent durability woes. The belief that Bradford is a franchise quarterback was at the time said to be among the primary reasons Jeff Fisher chose to become the head coach in St. Louis three offseasons ago. Releasing Bradford would save $10.42 million versus the cap, and highly-drafted rookie quarterbacks' cap numbers are typically in the $3-4 million range in the league's new system. Still, the Rams don't seem to even be considering going this route.
Source: ESPN.com

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Rams have "absolutely no intention" of extending Sam Bradford's contract.

The Rams stated in September that they were willing to extend Bradford's deal. The former No. 1 overall pick has two years and $27 million left on his rookie deal, which includes no more guaranteed money. He's scheduled to count a whopping $17.6 million against the cap in 2014. The Rams could clear $10.42 million by releasing him. St. Louis is already up against the cap and has many holes to fill. Coach Jeff Fisher has stated numerous times that Bradford will be back for at least another season, and those that cover the Rams consider it an extreme long shot that the team uses the No. 2 overall pick on a quarterback. Coming back from a torn ACL, it's put up or shut up time for Bradford.
Source: CBS Sports

It may not be obvious, but Bradford is developing. He isn't a top 10 or maybe even top 15, but he is a guy worthy of being held onto. Rams need to build the team around him, and they have a genuine shot at playoffs.

A guy that will have to take a serious pay cut in his eventual extension if he wants to remain in St. Louis. He was finally getting better, but it's gonna take more than that now.

How are they against the cap? They don't have anybody...

Coach Jeff Fisher reiterated that Sam Bradford is "our quarterback."

"He’s our quarterback, and we’ve said that," Fisher said. "We talk about extensions with all our players under contract. Whether or not we do so with him, I don’t know where all this came from, but Sam’s our quarterback. He’s going to be under center." This all comes on the heels of a CBS Sports report Monday that originally stated the Rams had "absolutely no intention" of extending Bradford before the report was changed to say the Rams are "open to an extension." Now just because Fisher keeps insisting Bradford will be the starter in 2014 doesn't mean we have to take that at face value. Fisher has turned on his words in the past. The Rams would be wise to look long and hard at this year's quarterback draft prospects. Bradford is arguably the most overpaid player in the league.

It may not be obvious, but Bradford is developing. He isn't a top 10 or maybe even top 15, but he is a guy worthy of being held onto. Rams need to build the team around him, and they have a genuine shot at playoffs.

He is developing.

The problem is, he's being paid like Aaron Rodgers. It's a real tough situation for St. Louis really. He is developing enough and still has the physical ability that he will command a 14m+ salary on the open market. The Rams aren't going to get much relief on his second contract.

The other side of the problem, is that he's not developing all that quickly. He's the fourth best QB in his own division and the top 2 QBs entered the league after he did. So while he's not plateaued, he certainly hasn't improved quickly either.

I can see real issues coming in the next couple years, when their talent from 2011/12 start coming into their 2nd contracts. Next year they have to resign Quinn. After that, Brockers and Jenkins. Going to be tough sledding.