Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Lions hire Jim Caldwell as HC

I don't think they could have made a worse hire. They need a guy who'll rein Stafford in, not let him stampede all over the place.

Oh, Jim Caldwell--for the second time, welcome to the ranks of head coaches who didn't earn their opportunities. Look what happens when Tony Dungy just hands you a job. :clap:

Edited by BwareDWare94

I'm more interested in who the Lions are going to hire as OC and DC. And I hope the OC handles the playcalling.

Wise men learn more from failures then successes and I hope this is the case here. I'm fairly optimistic, and at least willing to give him a chance.

On an unrelated and irrelevant note, I am happy for him though for being the first ever black head coach in the Lions' history.

Anything has to be better than Scott Linehan, right?

Ah, Jim Caldwell. The man who provided us with this great .gif:

colts-jim-caldwell.jpg

The Browns can't possibly hire anyone worse, can they?

Wiz was probably a better hire, but I like this hire more for the Lions. At least now I don't have the write the Lions off of my "Teams I Like" list.

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Eagles QBs coach Bill Lazor is expected to be named the Lions' new offensive coordinator.
Lazor has drawn plaudits for his work with Nick Foles, but has never coordinated an NFL offense. Before joining Chip Kelly's staff, he spent three seasons as the Virginia Cavaliers' offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach. He was a Redskins assistant from 2004-07, and served as the Seahawks' QBs coach in 2008-09. In Detroit, Lazor's main task would be sharpening Matthew Stafford's shoddy mechanics. Stafford has thus far been unwilling to clean up his sloppy game. Jan 14 - 4:31 PM

I do applaud them for the person they have to fill the role of OC. Man's been a part of a lot of different kinda offenses under some great coaches. Has never had to call plays before so it's gonna be interesting to see how that goes, but it's at least a reason to be optimistic.

Setting up a questionable head coach with a first time OC....anyone really expect this guy to even last 3 full seasons? I just think the Lions really messed this up although I could be wrong.

Hope there wasn't anyone too happy/disappointed with the Lazor OC hire...

As of yesterday, #Lions coach Jim Caldwell targeted Bill Lazor as the guy he wanted for OC. Lazor chooses Miami. Caldwell still searching

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Dolphins have hired Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor as OC, a day after reports said Detroit had hired him.

And @mortreport reports, Miami Dolphins have hired Eagles quarterback coach Bill Lazor as their new offensive coordinator.

Edited by BucD

Not sure why they didn't go after Mike Zimmer. He would be a great fit for that team. I feel OC and DC hires are more critical than a HC hire.

Hope there wasn't anyone too happy/disappointed with the Lazor OC hire...

As of yesterday, #Lions coach Jim Caldwell targeted Bill Lazor as the guy he wanted for OC. Lazor chooses Miami. Caldwell still searching

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Dolphins have hired Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor as OC, a day after reports said Detroit had hired him.

And @mortreport reports, Miami Dolphins have hired Eagles quarterback coach Bill Lazor as their new offensive coordinator.

D:

Lol at being the best coaching spots available this offseason.

Lions hired Ravens DBs coach Teryl Austin as defensive coordinator.

Austin has never coordinated a defense at the NFL level, but has experience working alongside new Lions coach Jim Caldwell going back to Caldwell's days at Penn State and Wake Forest. The duo is committed to keeping the Lions' 4-3 defense in place, which is an easy decision considering the resources Detroit has invested in its defensive line. Austin has 12 years of experience as an NFL DBs coach, so his first order of business will be sorting out the Lions' muddled secondary. Ex-Bucs DC Bill Sheridan is being interviewed as an assistant.

God damn, of course the asshole takes Teryl Austin. What a dick.

Coach Jim Caldwell confirmed the Lions will continue to work in Wide-9 defensive concepts.

Ex-coach Jim Schwartz and DL coach Jim Washburn popularized the Wide-9 while with the Titans. Washburn was brought over to Detroit, and Caldwell has retained him and Kris Kocurek as DL coaches. The Wide-9 requires defensive ends to line up outside the tight ends and changes the angles opposing offensive tackles have to block at. RE Ziggy Ansah led all rookies with eight sacks in 2013.

New Lions coach Jim Caldwell is adamant that he can fix Matthew Stafford's mechanics.

Specifically, Caldwell wants Stafford to improve his throwing habits in practice. "Every single time you throw, you throw at a target," Caldwell said. "You work on your accuracy just constantly and you look at small targets. That's what gets you accustomed to being able to pinpoint your accuracy." Stafford has had a cavalier attitude about his cavalier throws, but it's not going to fly with Caldwell. Stafford's 58.5 completion percentage last season was his lowest since his rookie year.
Source: MLive.com