Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Darren Sharper Charged with Drugging and Raping Women

That "justice" is the only thing preventing vigilante revenge or government-run executions. There is a reason we are considered a "first world country."

Time and again you ignore the fact that we understand that the laws can not and will not ever be as extreme as the scenarios we present. We are arguing the morality of the situation.

• Upvote 1

Time and again you ignore the fact that we understand that the laws can not and will not ever be as extreme as the scenarios we present. We are arguing the morality of the situation.

I'm not ignoring. I'm stating that personal morality isn't what should define justice. Questioning justice without any factual reasoning is just pointless.

• Downvote 1

That "justice" is the only thing preventing vigilante revenge or government-run executions. There is a reason we are considered a "first world country."

You take everything I say way too seriously, man.

Some of us use these threads as a chance to vent and state what our ideal punishment would be. I don't think Darren Sharper should have testicles or freedom anymore. That's just my take on it. Will that happen? Obviously, no, but if I could pick that as his punishment, I would. I'm talking cutting young calves style neutering and solitary. You do that to 9 women and you don't deserve to even have rights anymore.

I'm not ignoring. I'm stating that personal morality isn't what should define justice. Questioning justice without any factual reasoning is just pointless.

So wait, what should define justice is laws put in place by people who do so based on... what, exactly, if not their personal morality?

If the law says that a rapist gets 2 years community service, that isn't justice, that is the opposite of justice.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

So wait, what should define justice is laws put in place by people who do so based on... what, exactly, if not their personal morality?

If the law says that a rapist gets 2 years community service, that isn't justice, that is the opposite of justice.

Because personal morality is very unpredictable and changes. The reason we have "no cruel and unusual punishment" and a by-the-book punishment system is to prevent personal morality from heavily factoring into a decision by a judge (though it sometimes does, but that's a different story.)

The laws were put into place by people who were trying to find a middle ground between "Let them walk free" and "Chop off their dick". It's a very good stance to take. Obviously the founders of the laws had some personal opinions on each section of it, but the entire situation has panned out nicely for the United States, and it requires little to no change.

Edited by Chernobyl426

The idea that our justice system requires little to no change is absolutely hilarious

Bware speaketh the truth. Our justice system is completely broken. Recommend watching the piece by John Oliver on it.

I'm speaking in comparison to countries like Saudi Arabia and other nations where they execute people over outrageous shit. Obviously not as good as it could be, but it's decent. (Need to focus on rehabilitation not caging up people, to start.)

Edited by Chernobyl426

We need to focus on proper punishments (particularly for drug charges versus the many much worse things which come with less time). We also need to find ways to prevent defense teams from focusing on things that aren't even remotely related to the case, so that proper convictions are actually made. We need to focus on finding ways to make sure our justice system does much, much less victim blaming, particularly in regard to situations such as rape.

And I'm just getting started.

• Upvote 1

That was when he pleaded in Las Vegas and before he made deals in the other jurisdictions. He's getting 20 years, and only expected to serve 10 of it before being released on lifetime probation. With time already served he has about 9 years left. If he causes trouble in prison, it's possible to serve the full 20, but I don't know if anyone is actually expecting that to happen.

Oh, he might not cause it, but trouble will most certainly find him in prison. This dude is in for the fight of his life, and he absolutely deserves every bit of it. I can't see the guards doing much, if anything, too stop it either. After all, I'm sure many of them have daughters or sisters. Dude is a total punk ass pussy bitch. Rape is one of the most disposable acts that can be committed. I agree with pretty much everything Zack and Bware have said on this topic, so I won't go into repeating them. Even though he really didn't get as much time or punishment as he deserves from the courts though, he'll be getting a double dose of actual justice many times over. I'm pretty confident in that.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20150529131317869448108&ref=hea&tm=&src=

NEW ORLEANS (AP) Former New Orleans Saints player Darren Sharper pleaded guilty Friday in federal court in connection with allegations he drugged and assaulted women in four states, the latest development in the former Pro-Bowler's fall from grace.

Sharper, wearing an orange jumpsuit with his hands and feet shackled together, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute drugs to commit rape and two counts of distributing drugs to commit rape.

Sharper was first arrested in January 2014 in Los Angeles on rape charges and has been jailed since February of that year. Allegations of drug-related rapes in other states - Arizona, Nevada and Louisiana - eventually followed.

A plea deal was announced in March to resolve the charges in all jurisdictions.

On March 23, he pleaded guilty to sexual assault in Arizona and no contest in California. On March 24, Sharper pleaded guilty in Las Vegas to a reduced felony: attempted sex assault. He still faces state charges in Louisiana. Sharper is expected to serve a total of nine years in all the cases he faces.

During the federal hearing Friday, Judge Jane Triche Milazzo listed the counts against Sharper and outlined the plea deal that calls for Sharper to be imprisoned for nine years.

"Are you pleading guilty because you are in fact guilty?" the judge asked.

"Yes, ma'am," Sharper replied.

Assistant United States Attorney Mark A. Miller told the judge that in exchange for the plea deal, Sharper has agreed to help the investigation into other defendants. The judge now has to decide whether to accept the plea deal. The next hearing in the case will be Aug. 20.

Authorities are also pursuing cases against two other men in connection with the case, including a former sheriff's deputy in nearby St. Bernard Parish. Both of the other defendants have pleaded not guilty.

Sharper was selected as an All-Pro six times and chosen for the Pro Bowl five times during a career that included stints with the Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings. He played in two Super Bowls, one with the Packers as a rookie and in the Saints' 2010 victory.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20160218104149888663908&ref=hea&tm=&src=

NEW ORLEANS (AP) A federal judge rejected a plea deal Thursday in the rape case against former NFL star Darren Sharper, saying the nine-year sentence doesn't reflect the seriousness of the alleged assaults against as many as 16 women.

"This court cannot accept this plea agreement," U.S. District Judge Jane Triche Milazzo told Sharper as he stood before her in orange prison coveralls and shackles. She gave Sharper and his lawyers until March 3 to decide whether to withdraw a guilty plea he entered last year.

Sharper had pleaded guilty as part of a deal involving charges in four states. He also has pleaded guilty or no contest to similar charges in state courts in California, Arizona, Nevada and Louisiana. He was sentenced to eight years in Arizona but awaits formal sentencing in the other jurisdictions.

His attorneys declined comment as they left the courtroom.

Earlier this month, Sharper's attorneys signaled the unraveling of the plea agreement when they acknowledged in a court filing that they were preparing for a trial.

Tania Tetlow, a former federal prosecutor who now is a law professor at Tulane University, said it is unusual for a plea agreement to be rejected by a judge. However, she also noted that agreements that include a specific sentence, such as the Sharper case, also are rare.

"Usually, a federal plea agreement does not bind the judge as much as this one would have," Tetlow said.

Sharper's federal plea deal called for a nine-year prison sentence if he were to comply with a lengthy list of requirements, including cooperation with authorities in the case against two co-defendants in Louisiana.

Milazzo noted a pre-sentence report compiled by federal authorities and federal sentencing guidelines that called for a sentence between 15 to 20 years.

"The defendant ordinarily would face consecutive sentences on each of the charged rapes, so the plea deal offered a significant benefit in addition to the opportunity to serve most of his time federally," Tetlow said. "Now Sharper will have to make a decision on whether to go to trial in federal court or plead guilty again and face the unfettered decision of the judge."

The federal indictment charged Sharper with distributing the drugs alprazolam, diazepam and zolpidem - more commonly known by the brand names Xanax, Valium and Ambien - with the intent to commit rape.

Two Louisiana state counts of aggravated rape against Sharper stemmed from accusations that he sexually assaulted two drug-impaired women at his apartment in September 2013.

Sharper was selected All-Pro six times and chosen for the Pro Bowl five times during a career that included stints with the Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings. He played in two Super Bowls, one with the Packers as a rookie and one with New Orleans Saints when they won in 2010.

He ended a 14-year career in 2011. He was working as an NFL network analyst when women began telling police in several cities similar stories of blacking out while drinking with him and waking up groggy to find they had been sexually abused.

I can't say I'd care if he was locked up for life.

Needs to be shot.

What kind of sick individual can live with themselves doing such heinous acts to the same gender as their own mother?

Needs to be shot.

What kind of sick individual can live with themselves doing such heinous acts to the same gender as their own mother?

I don't think there are that many genders to commit heinous acts on.

from a legal perspective this is really interesting, I thought the deal sounded very soft (though as you can see from my earlier posts I did give it reluctant support) and the idea of a multi-jurisdictional plea deal seemed bizarre, so while it is rare to see a plea deal rejected by a judge I'm actually not shocked to see it here

Former NFL star Darren Sharper has been sentenced to 18 years in prison in a case in which he was accused of drugging and raping as many as 16 women in four states.

Judge Jane Triche Milazzo sentenced Sharper on Thursday. He pleaded guilty or no contest to federal charges in New Orleans and state charges in Louisiana, Arizona, California and Nevada.

Prosecutors suggested a 9-year prison term for Sharper under a multi-jurisdictional plea deal, but Milazzo rejected it in June as too lenient.

Should be the death penalty, an extremely light sentence for the rape of MULTIPLE women. The American justice system is a disgrace.

Hey if it makes you feel better, he'll probably get out sooner on good behaviour.

(yay justice!)

I would have given him 40 years. Make him spend the same amount of years inside as he has outside.

So the 18 years is just for one rape and he did 9? That's life in prison then.

when was the last time you thought about having sex with your mother?

one doesnt really have anything to do with the other.

..and in a lot of ways,how you relate to women has a lot to do with how you related to mom.

chew on that for a while lol.

Guess you've never heard the story of Oedipus? Also i'm guessing what he means is you as a son you should love and respect your mother and thus carry that respect into your view of other women. Rape obviously isn't respectful lol but I mean way to twist that comment.

Edited by SteelersNation36

as far as the actuality of a Oedipus complex,its a bunch of bullshit. There is no such thing in the psyche of modern men at the age of 4 or when ever.

loving and respecting your mother has nothing to do with respecting other women.

Other women just as soon screw you over or make you feel like a fool or leave you.

I dont respect any other woman till she shows me some honesty and not some feminist babblings.,Which she later regrets anyway chasing the career woman dream

( this of course has nothing to do with Sharper lol)

What. The actual. Fuck.

Not some feminist babbling that she later regrets chasing the career woman dream? Please just go away, dude. This isn't the forum for you.