Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

SEC Sack Leader Michael Sam Could Be NFL's First Openly Gay Player

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in an interview with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday.

Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."

Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.

"I understand how big this is," he said. "It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

In 2014, "Gay Man to Enter Workforce" has the everyday-occurrence sound of a headline in The Onion. But when the NFL is involved, it's a first -- and potentially a landmark moment -- in the history of American sports.

Sam's decision to speak out now -- in interviews with ESPN and the New York Times -- comes after his experience two weeks ago at the Senior Bowl, where, he said, many already seemed aware of his sexual orientation.

"I didn't realize how many people actually knew, and I was afraid that someone would tell or leak something out about me," he said. "I want to own my truth. ... No one else should tell my story but me."

He had already confided in a few close friends, Sam recalled, and had dated a fellow athlete who was not a football player -- so while coming out to his Mizzou teammates last year was a key moment, it came almost as an afterthought, during preseason training camp.

"Coaches just wanted to know a little about ourselves, our majors, where we're from, and something that no one knows about you," Sam said. "And I used that opportunity just to tell them that I was gay. And their reaction was like, 'Michael Sam finally told us.' "

Asked what that moment felt like, Sam said, "I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."

He did not ask them to keep his revelation a secret.

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said in a statement that he's proud of Sam.

"We're really happy for Michael that he's made the decision to announce this, and we're proud of him and how he represents Mizzou," Pinkel said. "Michael is a great example of just how important it is to be respectful of others, he's taught a lot of people here first-hand that it doesn't matter what your background is, or your personal orientation, we're all on the same team and we all support each other."

Rest of article: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10429030/michael-sam-missouri-tigers-says-gay

This is news because it's unprecedented for a college football player coming out of the closet before the draft, or any NFL player for that matter. Hopefully there is a time in the future when this isn't news.

Whatever, help my favorite football team win some fucking games ... that's all I care about.

Best of luck to him (unless if an NFC East rival team drafts him and he owns). :shifty:

Edited by BLUE
  • Upvote 2

Hope it doesn't effect the guy's career. I mean, Kerry Rhoades didn't play in the NFL this year and he's a pro bowler. I would think that the guy is at least signed by somebody after the draft but it could definitely cause him to go undrafted which would be unfortunate.

It was smart of him to come out on his own terms rather then someone just randomly learning and then a media circus three times the one he has right now would follow.

I think he'd go very high if he was a couple inches shorter, and played better in space. But to me he's a mid round pick at this point.

Sean, don't assume that its because he's gay. There are also reports that he simply wanted too much money.

Sean, don't assume that its because he's gay. There are also reports that he simply wanted too much money.

I find that hard to believe. I mean, yeah maybe that'll keep a guy from getting signed until after camp or at some point during the pre-season or even mid season but all year... and there were a lot of teams who were weak at safety and had cap. The Eagles not only sucked at safety but they were also hurt and pretty thin at safety all year. There were plenty of other teams out there like that too.

Per RotoWorld.com

Eight NFL executives and coaches anticipate a "significant" draft-day plunge for Missouri OLB Michael Sam after revealing that he is homosexual.

The execs and coaches believe NFL locker rooms are "not prepared to deal with an openly gay player," and decision makers fear a "publicity circus" for the team that selects Sam. "At this point in time it's still a man's man game," said one player personnel assistant. "To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace." Rotoworld draft maven Josh Norris believes Sam has fourth- to seventh-round tape. "I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down," added one veteran scout. "There's no question about it. It's human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'"

Edited by ATL

Guest Phailadelphia

Those quotes contain a lot of really dumb rationalizations to not draft a gay player.

Fortunately, it only takes one team to draft him. Wouldn't mind if its the Bills.

I think when he gets drafted and the initial media explosion passes, it'll lead the way for other NFL players to come out.

When this story broke, my thought was "So?"

Now, 24 hours later, my thought is "So?"

• Upvote 1

I would love for the Packers to draft him, if the price is right, of course. He wouldn't start right away, but with how injury prone Clay and Nick Perry are, he would definitely get some good snaps in as a rookie.

One thing about this, and I have no idea who he is as a person... but he could really use this as a chip on his shoulder kind of thing. A "I need to prove my doubters wrong" kind of mentality would turn an already explosive pass rusher into maybe a next tier kind of guy. I am not sure if that's how he operates or if he motivates himself that way, but if he does... I really, really want to draft him. I love having players who have something to prove (whether they actually do or whether it's perceived doesn't matter) even if they aren't the most talented.

OLB is something we really need to address, and Sam could be a steal.. especially if he falls.

I know what you are getting at, because I don't care if he is gay or not either -- as long as he can contribute. But it is still kind of a big deal. Very well going to be the first openly gay pro football player.

Oh, and as far as Kerry Rhodes... He still hasn't confirmed anything. He's hiding it, and now there are rumors he is engaged to a chick and all this stuff. He's put on a facade and that will hurt him because the media will only be over him all the more.

It's like Dmac said... I think it's good that Sam came out kind of on his own accord -- even if it seems like a lot of his teammates and stuff knew already. Get it out there, and get ahead of it. :yep:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Matt Birk on the issue. Great read.

"I would put it like this," Birk said. "Over the years I can think of 10, maybe 12 guys that I played with that I know are gay. Everyone on the team knew they were gay, and they knew that everyone knew they were gay. They didn't take that step of going public, but it never was an issue in my experiences.

"I get why this is an issue, especially when you look at the bullying story with [Miami Dolphins offensive linemen] Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito. I get why people would be concerned. But I think we really underestimate football players sometimes."

"I know there are stereotypes about football players and what the locker room is like and all that. Some of those stereotypes, sometimes we're our own worst enemies. We take advantage of all the perks of the locker room. Sometimes that means you act like a teenager. But when push comes to shove, when you're talking about something like this, this serious issue and monumental of an issue, I really think football players will answer the bell."

Of course, the difference between the NFL and other working environments is the locker room itself. So as long as Birk brought up the issue of stereotypes, I figured I would ask the "shower question." Once again, Birk laughed.

"That's the biggest stereotype there is," Birk said. "Like I said, if you play in the league for any amount of time, you play with gay teammates. And you've showered with them, and you probably knew it, too. That's going to be an issue the media focuses on much more than players."

Birk suggested, and I agree, that Sam's biggest impact on the locker room will occur the first few intense days he is there. Teammates, coaches and front office members will face questions from reporters that veer far from their area of expertise.

"But that should be it," Birk said. "After one or two days, it's back to football. That's why everyone is there -- for football."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/116355/inside-slant-michael-sam-and-locker-rooms

It's like Dmac said... I think it's good that Sam came out kind of on his own accord -- even if it seems like a lot of his teammates and stuff knew already. Get it out there, and get ahead of it. :yep:

from what I've read it sounds like just about everyone knew, I think it's great that he was allowed to be the first to state it publicly, but I do think it may not have been entirely voluntary

Yeah, because look at this list of people that played in the NFL while being out of the closet:

With names like that already there, why does this matter?

Edited by blotsfan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"I think that he would not be accepted as much as we think he would be accepted," Vilma added. "I don't want people to just naturally assume, like, 'Oh, we're all homophobic.' That's really not the case. Imagine if he's the guy next to me and, you know, I get dressed, naked, taking a shower, the whole nine, and it just so happens he looks at me. How am I supposed to respond?"

Vilma was accused of homophobia in 2011 when he tweeted: “Grown men should NOT have female tendencies. Period.” When a backlash ensued, he responded: “So of course the homosexual men get sensitive to my tweet and respond all ticked off. RELAX I was not referring to u guys."

Either he hates gays or maybe he himself is gay and is afraid to admit it.

• Downvote 1

"I think that he would not be accepted as much as we think he would be accepted," Vilma added. "I don't want people to just naturally assume, like, 'Oh, we're all homophobic.' That's really not the case. Imagine if he's the guy next to me and, you know, I get dressed, naked, taking a shower, the whole nine, and it just so happens he looks at me. How am I supposed to respond?"

Vilma was accused of homophobia in 2011 when he tweeted: “Grown men should NOT have female tendencies. Period.” When a backlash ensued, he responded: “So of course the homosexual men get sensitive to my tweet and respond all ticked off. RELAX I was not referring to u guys."

Either he hates gays or maybe he himself is gay and is afraid to admit it.

Lol so those are the only two possibilities I guess right

• Upvote 1

He's worried a man who likes other men will look at him naked like that. Obvious homophobe.

Men should probably not crossdress. Just as well, Gay people can be gay without being flaming.

He's worried a man who likes other men will look at him naked like that. Obvious homophobe.

I'm not allowed to shower in a women's locker room. Guess why. That doesn't mean that these women are man haters or manophobes, does it? To assume that a dude wants to jump your bones or finds every man attractive just because he's gay is an obviously ridiculous notion. Still, it's not like we're talking about separate drinking fountains here. It's a man who finds men attractive. Just because Vilma voices a concern - whether it be hypothetical or real - doesn't make him some gay bashing Neanderthal.
  • Upvote 1

I've never heard of separate shower stalls....there is no way the multibillion dollar business called the NFL could afford to accommodate players with such a thing.

I'm not allowed to shower in a women's locker room. Guess why. That doesn't mean that these women are man haters or manophobes, does it? To assume that a dude wants to jump your bones or finds every man attractive just because he's gay is an obviously ridiculous notion. Still, it's not like we're talking about separate drinking fountains here. It's a man who finds men attractive. Just because Vilma voices a concern - whether it be hypothetical or real - doesn't make him some gay bashing Neanderthal.

52 other dudes in a locker room. Odds are he'll find one attractive. If you had a group of 52 women, you'd probably like at least one.

Let's get real.. Is Vilma gonna sit there and HONESTLY say that he's never seen anyone's junk before... or that none of his teammates have seen his? But it's totally cool if straight guys look at each other, but watch out! Having a gay teammate is obviously bad because they would immediately want to rape Mr. Vilma. So, very attractive. Irresistible.

Lol. That's how being gay, works right? You want to suck the dick and penetrate every asshole of every straight man ont he planet... Right?

:laugh:

Let's get real.. Is Vilma gonna sit there and HONESTLY say that he's never seen anyone's junk before... or that none of his teammates have seen his? But it's totally cool if straight guys look at each other, but watch out! Having a gay teammate is obviously bad because they would immediately want to rape Mr. Vilma. So, very attractive. Irresistible.

Lol. That's how being gay, works right? You want to suck the dick and penetrate every asshole of every straight man ont he planet... Right?

:laugh:

So then why do we have separate female and male bathrooms?

• Upvote 1

While Michael Sam has mostly received an outpouring of support since announcing that he is gay, his father is struggling with the news, according to a published report.

Sam revealed to his Missouri teammates he is gay last August, but he didn't disclose his sexual orientation to his parents until last week. He said Sunday in interviews with ESPN's "Outside The Lines" and The New York Times that he is gay.

Michael Sam Sr. told The New York Times that he received the news last Tuesday when his son wrote in a text: "Dad, I'm gay."

Sam's father took the news hard. He said he was eating at a Denny's restaurant but had to leave after receiving the text.

"I couldn't eat no more, so I went to Applebee's to have drinks," Sam Sr. told the newspaper. "I don't want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment."

ESPN

Probably not the greatest way to come out to your parents.

Yeah, thats probably not the best way to do it but given his dad's reaction I understand why he did. At least it sounds like he's gonna try to be understanding and come to terms with it.