Bay

Patrick Peterson "worth more than Sherman?"

PHOENIX - Arizona Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson said Monday he believes he's worth more than the $57 million Seattle's Richard Sherman received recently.

He just hopes to find out how much more "sooner rather than later."

Peterson and the Cardinals are in the early stages of negotiating an extension to the All-Pro's rookie contract. The three-time Pro Bowler said he and Sherman are in different stages of their contracts, which means Peterson's camp has more time to negotiate. Sherman had a year left on his rookie deal when Seattle re-signed him to a four-year, $57 million extension with $40 million guaranteed last week, while Peterson has two years remaining after Arizona exercised a team option for 2015.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10923709/patrick-peterson-arizona-cardinals-thinks-worth-more-richard-sherman

Not even close.

I think you all know how I feel about Peterson. Hint: It's the same as JD.

loooool

I like Peterson a lot. He's asked to do more and has a more difficult job than Sherman having to move around the field following the opposing teams #1 receiver but it will be tough to warrant that type of contract.

Peterson is pretty damn good, Arizona would be wise to give him dolla dolla bills.

No CB is worth that kinda money. Peterson is a damn good player and will probably get something close to this if Arizona wants to keep him.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. I think Sherman's contract is absurd. His contract is close to QB money guaranteed wise. I don't think any CB is worth that much money. Sherman is viewed by most the better corner but the Cardinals may value him Peterson the same way considering he follows the #1 receiver all game (more difficult job than Sherman) and he is by far their best secondary player; as to where Sherman stays on one side of the field and has Earl Thomas and to a lesser extent Kam Chancellor around him. So Peterson's services could be valued just as high. It's about how the team values their player.

But like Kosar said, the numbers are going to have to be similar if they want to keep Peterson. The market is set for elite corners and Peterson can use that to his advantage. If the Cardinals don't pay him, someone else gladly will for his services.

Edited by Dutch

No CB is worth that kinda money. Peterson is a damn good player and will probably get something close to this if Arizona wants to keep him.

Pretty much this.

No way are the Cardinals going to give him more money than Sherman, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got around $12 mil.

CB market has been starting to inflate ever since the Bucs gave Revis that mega deal.

Edited by AllYouNeedIsLovie

I hope he gets it lol.

Edited by Sacks98
  • Upvote 1

Joe Haden just got paid 5 years 68 M, 45 of it guaranteed.

wut...

I don't particularly think following one player around is necessarily harder than playing one side of the field. Sherman covers a wider variety of players with a wider variety of skillsets and tendencies. You can get used to covering one player just like an offensive lineman can get used to blocking one defensive lineman.

While Patrick Peterson gets to study one player all week, Richard Sherman has to study every player who lines up outside.

Add in the fact that seeing Sherman get burned is rare, and Peterson still has 3-4 slip ups a game.

I honestly feel like it's harder to do what Sherman does, in most cases. Obviously, an AJ Green or Megatron matchup is going to be more difficult but the 'hawks and redbirds play in one of the weakest WR divisions in the league.

Peterson can't even defend a 'mediocre' WR (like some say) in Crabree. :troll:

I don't particularly think following one player around is necessarily harder than playing one side of the field. Sherman covers a wider variety of players with a wider variety of skillsets and tendencies. You can get used to covering one player just like an offensive lineman can get used to blocking one defensive lineman.

While Patrick Peterson gets to study one player all week, Richard Sherman has to study every player who lines up outside.

Add in the fact that seeing Sherman get burned is rare, and Peterson still has 3-4 slip ups a game.

I honestly feel like it's harder to do what Sherman does, in most cases. Obviously, an AJ Green or Megatron matchup is going to be more difficult but the 'hawks and redbirds play in one of the weakest WR divisions in the league.

There's no way in terms of difficulty that Sherman's assignment is more difficult than Patrick Peterson's. On teams that don't have a true threat at at #1 receiver, Peterson covers different WRs. But in those match ups against top Wrs, Peterson follows them from side line to side line including the slot. Sherman is on that one side (shutting it down) with side line help and having Earl Thomas over top. Just speaking in terms of difficulty as I think Sherman is the more technically sound than Peterson while Peterson is just the far superior athlete.

Eh. I think Peterson's overrated, in general. Just doesn't pass the eye test like Sherman does.

Sherman is the better CB. All I was saying is that Peterson's job is more difficult.

Peterson is a damn good player. As is Sherman and Haden.

They're good at what they do and they deserve to get paid. Maybe not 40-45M but that's just the way it goes.

I applaud the Browns for locking up Haden.

Edited by Barracuda
  • Upvote 1

Peterson is one of the most overrated CBs in the league by the media.

• Upvote 1

I am surprised so many people actually agree with me.

I understand what everybody is saying as far as Sherman getting paid too much, etc... but Patrick Peterson isn't even in the same hemisphere as Sherman (or other elite tier corners) as far as skill goes. I have said this since he came into the league... The guy is put onto a pedestal in which he doesn't belong.

Not saying he is horrible or should be cut or anything like that... But the guy just isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be -- and for that reason, doesn't deserve the same kind of money.

I know there are a lot of guys that fit into this category, but just keeping with what I know best... Sam Shields, a guy who played 2 years of corner in his life before being signed by the Packers as an UDFA has outplayed PP every season that he has been in the league...

Richard Sherman (and now Joe Haden) have signed deals that offer more in guarantees than the total of Sam's new contract. If PP gets even close to those guys, it's going to be a travesty -- from a pure talent perspective as well as a financial one.

Peterson is the better athlete, but Sherman is the better Cb.

• Upvote 1

As far as skill and the type of role he plays (shutting down one side of the field) Sherman is pretty similar to what Nnamdi Asomugha used to be. Even though Peterson is asked to do more I'm not sure he's on that level, but as an overall athlete and the benefits he provides for the Cardinals, I think, for the Cardinals organization at least, he's worth around what Sherman is.

• Upvote 1

As far as skill and the type of role he plays (shutting down one side of the field) Sherman is pretty similar to what Nnamdi Asomugha used to be. Even though Peterson is asked to do more I'm not sure he's on that level, but as an overall athlete and the benefits he provides for the Cardinals, I think, for the Cardinals organization at least, he's worth around what Sherman is.

Exactly. The Cardinals may value his services and what he does for his team to the same degree. Just because he may not be considered to be better than Sherman, that doesn't devalue his impact with what he does with the Cardinals. Also... please... don't mention Nnamdi... the biggest fraud ever to play that position.

Peterson will get the contract he wants. Arizona can't afford to lose him. You build through the draft, and on the players that you hit you try to keep them in house.

Cornerbacks of Peterson's caliber rarely hit the open market, and if one did Arizona isn't necessarily a team/city that attracts top notch free agents.

Patrick Peterson told a Phoenix radio show doesn't think Richard Sherman is "shutdown corner". source- Espn alert

Did Sherman fire back at any of this yet?