Sign in to follow this  
Vin

NFL To Revamp Drug Policy

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the NFL is expected to revamp its marijuana policy in the league's new drug agreement, instituting a higher threshold for positive tests and lessening the penalties.

It's unclear how much the penalties will be lessened, but at the very least, it means players will no longer be subject to a four-game ban for a first-time offense. Per Graziano, haggling over the arbitration process is the only roadblock to a new drug agreement. The move comes too late for Josh Gordon, but it appears marijuana will no longer be treated as a more serious offense than issues like drunk driving and assault.
Source: ESPN.com

Browner & Miller excite

smileys-smoking-545379.gif

Edited by BC

They should really remove it from their substance abuse policy altogether. It's not going to give them an advantage, and if they are focused enough to become an NFL player I doubt there's much risk of getting guys that are wake and bakers. But I guess this is a good start.

To have a guy like Josh Gordon, who is one of the most exciting players in the league, sit for a year because he smokes weed is utterly retarded. At that point it's just hurting the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Once they get this done, I really think they should go back and make it retroactive for Gordon, give him time served, and move on with the season. I realize that it doesn't work that way, and other past offenders would get butt hurt. Still, I'd like to see it happen.

No, what is retarded is Josh Gordon's repeated inability to follow the rules he agreed to by signing a contract to play in the NFL.

Whether the rule is stupid is not the issue with guys like Gordon, it shows a complete disregard for authority and for the commitment he made to his teammates, his organization and fans. This isn't just relegated to the NFL, Gordon was caught by the police his sophomore year at Baylor with possession of marijuana, the next season he fails a drug test and is suspended indefinitely from the team. Gordon then transfers to Utah where he again fails a drug test, a fact that he repeatedly denies because Utah will not confirm it. Now he's failed two more drug tests in the NFL.

The guy doesn't have a drug problem, he has a stupid problem.

As for the change in the NFL drug policy, good.

but but but but but SOCOL

It's never the drug user's fault, it's always the rules that are at fault!!!11111

I'm pro-weed like many of us here, but Socal's post is spot-fucking-on. :clap:

I disagree. Do you realize how rigorous and painful an NFL career has to be? Let em smoke/vaporize a little THC. Especially the Monday afternoon after an NFL Sunday while getting treatments. I feel like they deserve to feel a little relief after some of that hell they have to endure especially when they have to get back to conditioning and practicing throughout the rest of the week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Banned for smoking weed? LMAO.

Per Rotoworld.com:

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the NFL and NFLPA recently began formal talks to raise marijuana test levels.
Currently, the NFL's threshold of THC levels to trigger a positive marijuana test is 15 nanograms per milliliter. The NFL got that number from the World Anti-Doping Agency a few years ago, but WADA raised its level to 150 ng/ml last summer. MLB's threshold is 50 ng/ml. Just as Ray Rice's case forced the NFL to stiffen penalties against domestic violence, Josh Gordon's will likely be the one that gets the NFL to soften its stance against marijuana. Aug 29 - 11:34 AM
Source: FOX Sports

Dear God, I just agreed with BC. I understand Socal's point. From an outsider's perspective, it's easy to say "dumbass" when it comes to Josh Gordon, and you'd probably be right, too.

But I firmly believe football at a higher level has to wear on the body, even of skill players that aren't RBs or TEs. I think the NFL should decriminalize weed within itself, altogether. Unless of course a player is caught driving when he's high as a kite.

With the testimonials of guys like Jason Taylor, why wouldn't you want to allow your players any way imaginable to ease their pain?

You can say the policy is stupid all you want, but players still have to follow it, I think a lot of speed limits are too low, but that's not going to get me out of a ticket

• Upvote 1

Yes, but speeding isn't an addictive substance that eases your physical pain, too. Two completely different things. Your make your point, but the cartridge is empty.

Yes, but speeding isn't an addictive substance that eases your physical pain, too. Two completely different things. Your make your point, but the cartridge is empty.

But it does get me where I'm going faster, I never said the analogy was perfect

Then again I may have confused this with the threads specifically discussing Gordon, reading your comment as purely looking prospectively, advocating a change in the policy, my response doesn't make as much sense

But thirdly, the players did agree to including the drug policy in the CBA

Edited by oochymp

Posted by Mike Florio on September 12, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT

If/when (when) the NFLPA adopts the drug policy proposed by the NFL on Friday, the revamped procedures will have a variety of new features.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the policy will include the following terms:

1. An independent arbitrator will hear appeals for under both the substance-abuse policy and the PED policy. The NFL and NFLPA will jointly select, approve, and pay for a pool of three-to-five arbitrators.

2. The threshold for a positive test for marijuana will increase to 35 ng/ml. The prior limit was 15 ng/ml; the Olympic standard is 150 ng/ml. Also, the policy will have additional steps for players who test positive for the substance, before an initial suspension.

3. All players who tested positive or who were otherwise disciplined or placed into the drug or PED program will have retroactivity, with the new rules being reapplied as of March 11, 2014.

4. A two-game suspension will be issued upon conviction for driving under the influence. However, there will be no action taken after a DUI arrest, as the NFL initially had proposed.

5. Amphetamines taken without a Therapeutic Use Exemption during the offseason will be evaluated under the substance-abuse policy. During the season, a positive test without a TUE will continue to be a violation of the PED policy.

6. Testing for hGH will occur in the 2014 season. There will be no population study, but the players will have the ability to challenge the science during the appeal process. No blood samples will be collected on game days.

7. Independent investigators will be retained to review cases of breached confidentiality. Any employers of the league, the teams, the union, players, and agents found to be in violation of the confidentiality provision will face fines of up to $500,000, termination of employment, or other discipline.

We’ll have more throughout the day as we study and understand the implications of these new terms.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Can't wait for 90% of the league to get popped for HGH.

• Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

The NFL and NFLPA have officially agreed to an overhauled drug policy.
The two sides have agreed to "wide-ranging improvements" to their policy on performance-enhancing drugs. Among other things, the league will now test for HGH and start that process this season. Final details of the new agreement on the substance-abuse policy are still being worked out. The NFL announced Wes Welker, Orlando Scandrick, and Stedman Bailey can rejoin their teams immediately. A first positive test for steroids, HGH, stimulants or other banned substances will result in a four-game ban. A second violation is a 10-game suspension, while a third positive test will be a two-year ban. Sep 17 - 10:49 AM

Suspensions are coming.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The NFL will begin testing for human growth hormone on Monday.
The NFLPA agreed to a new drug policy last month that included HGH testing for the first time ever. Five players on eight teams will now be tested each week of the season. A first positive test for steroids, HGH, stimulants or other banned substances will result in a four-game ban. A second violation is a 10-game suspension, while a third positive test will be a two-year ban. Player appeals will be handled by an independent arbitrator. The league's new recreational drug policy will also include additional steps. Oct 4 - 2:55 PM
Source: NFL.com

Only five players on eight teams each week? That's kinda lame. Good job, NFLPA.

Only five players on eight teams each week? That's kinda lame. Good job, NFLPA.

no kidding, are they going to ask for five volunteers while they're at it?