As fans, you should want to win the game. Being in this position every year is great, I think everybody knows that. It is only adds to the urgency that you have a team as talented as the Packers do. Having Aaron Rodgers is an obvious luxury, but with that comes a lot of expectation. The Packers or their fans being content with simply getting there isn't enough. This team is built to win titles, and anything short of that is a disappointment.

If you grant me a few Super Bowls, I will grant you the consistent playoff appearances you are so willing to settle for.

Aaron Rodgers (calf) took every snap from the shotgun during Sunday's win over the Cowboys.

Rodgers' left calf injury not only limited Green Bay's offensive playbook, but it also really hampered his mobility, accuracy and ability to follow through on passes. He couldn't make many plays outside the pocket, an area he typically excels. Of course, Rodgers somehow still completed 67.6 percent of his passes with three touchdowns and no interceptions. Formation predictability is a recipe for disaster when facing the Seahawks in Seattle, but we're certainly not going to doubt Rodgers. It's also worth noting that Eddie Lacy averaged 5.15 YPC out of the shotgun this year versus 4.30 out of other formations.

Eddie Lacy confirmed an asthma attack cost him much of the second quarter of Sunday's Divisional Round win over Dallas.

The cold weather at Lambeau "inflamed" Lacy's asthma, and James Starks was forced into action. "You know your body is good enough to go out and play," said Lacy. "But ... you just can't breathe. And it's a breathing thing. It's not something you want to go out and risk ... risk something bad happening. There's nothing I can do about it. It's a medical condition. I take my inhaler, I do everything I'm supposed to do. When it happens, it happens." Lacy still totaled 111 yards and will be fine for the NFC Championship Game next weekend.

Edited by Vin

But the Cowboys defense is trash so it's not impressive, Favre. Said Bjorn and Bware.

• Upvote 2

But the Cowboys defense is trash so it's not impressive, Favre. Said Bjorn and Bware.

Cowboys had no pass rush at all from what I saw. So yeah......he really didn't need to extend plays.

The injury definitely affected him more in the 1st half. It's not just mobility, either. He wasn't able to get much zip on his throws in the first half. And his footwork was a bit sloppy, probably due to the pain I'm guessing. He seemed to manage much better in the 2nd half. I think he'll be good to go against Seattle. He'll still be limited somewhat, but he should be able to do everything he needs to do.

• Upvote 2

The injury definitely affected him more in the 1st half. It's not just mobility, either. He wasn't able to get much zip on his throws in the first half. And his footwork was a bit sloppy, probably due to the pain I'm guessing. He seemed to manage much better in the 2nd half. I think he'll be good to go against Seattle. He'll still be limited somewhat, but he should be able to do everything he needs to do.

Ya, this is what people don't really get.. So much more was wrong with him than just moving.. Heck, I was worried less about that than the rest of what you brought up. He couldn't plant his foot and drive passes, especially deep... His accuracy was out the window, and he looked REALLY out of his element. Honestly the injury made him look a lot like Peyton Manning and his injury.. The short / kind of intermediate stuff was fine.. but anything beyond 10-15 yards was a REAL struggle for him. I dunno what happened in the 2nd half but... Wow.

Also

Cowboys had no pass rush at all from what I saw. So yeah......he really didn't need to extend plays.

That's kind of what the Cowboys do, or at least what they did to Detroit. They elected to not blitz, sit back in coverage and dare the QB to beat them. For what it's worth, it wasn't a terrible strategy, because even though they didn't bring a lot of heat, they still got pressure on Rodgers at a rate that was roughly equal to the season average against the Packers. Which is at about 30% of all passing attempts seeing pressure.

None of that matters, SteVo. It ended the game, for all intents and purposes. It's the worst call since Fail Mary.

Dez made the catch by the standards of the rule. He landed on his feet, moved toward the endzone, and reached out with his left arm. It was a terrible call. No ifs, ands, or buts. It was the wrong call, even by the NFL's Rules.

Once again, the NFL undoes itself with rules that are too damn vague. Officials don't apply the rules the same way. They need to.

Like the refs picking up the flag on an obvious DPI that handed the game to the Cowboys last week? Live by the refs, die by the refs.

Last week all Cowboys fans were applauding the refs, and now suddenly its an awful call.

It's not an awful call. Its the Calvin Johnson rule. It was a clear no-catch by the rules, he lost possession when he hit the ground. It's a fucking awful rule and it should be done away with.

Edit: Just to reiterate after watching that again- that is a godawful fucking rule. That is a catch. Rule is dumb as shit.

Edited by Thanatos19

You say that fans of regular playoff teams should be grateful and everybody freaks the fuck out.

There are thirty-two NFL teams. Your team is not going to compete for a Super Bowl in every single season. Continually making the playoffs, even if you're one and done a lot, is incredibly impressive, and those fans ought to be extensively grateful to their franchises for regularly offering competitive teams.

Jesus, y'all would think I'd said we should murder a kitten in front of a 5 year old girl.

• Downvote 5

His message is coming across wrong, but I kind of see the point BWare is trying to make.

I was pissed when the Cowboys were constantly underachieving going 8-8 for three years, but then I think of fans of the Bucs or Jaguars who are just praying their team miraculously gets 4 wins. Then you have fans of teams such as the Patriots or Packers who are expected to compete for the title every season.

Obviously you always want to win it all - that's the ultimate prize for any team. That's where BWare is getting it wrong saying fans should be satisfied even if you lose in the playoffs because well, at least you made it there like you should have. But the level of expectation certainly varies among teams' fans.

I think the right way to put it would be to say "Hey, at least be grateful you're not a fan of a losing team with low expectations whereas you get to cheer for a team constantly in the title mix."

• Upvote 2

In the 2008 AFC Championship Game, Santonio Holmes caught a pass at the 1-yard line, took two steps and lunged into the end zone, and then lost the ball when he landed. The refs ruled it an incomplete pass. There is a precedent for the ruling they made against the Cowboys the other day.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/bryant-s-overturned-catch-proves-to-be-too-good-for-rules-011115?cmpid=tsmfb%3Afscom%3Anflonfox

But the Calvin Johnson Rule, despite its namesake, was designed for mere mortals. It doesn't take into account elite athletes who can secure a catch and dive for the pylon in the blink of an eye. In this application, there's no difference between falling and lunging.

This article is dead on and I suggest taking 5 minutes to read it over. Yes, the quoted material above contains a little satire but it's true. I had three problems with the ref overturning the call. I'll preface my argument by stating that even though I'm a Cowboys fan, it's tough not to admit the poetic justice in this situation.

1. While everybody is claiming the CJ rule strikes again, the catch didn't exactly play out the same way, and that's important to distinguish. Calvin Johnson caught the ball while falling back into the endzone. Dez Bryant made a football move stretching for the goal line. If you know the type of player Dez is, this isn't surprising. You can see that he extended his arm for the TD. Is it clear cut? No, and that's why I won't kill the officials. But make no mistake, he wasn't just falling down - he was reaching for the goal line.

2. The NFL has been big this year on sticking with the call on the field if the evidence isn't conclusive. As I said in the paragraph above, it looks like Dez is extending his arm for the goal line. You could make an argument for or against it, but the point is if it isn't 100% clear on if he made the football move or not, why go against the call on the field?

3. I'm a Cowboys fan. Duh.

This is just to make my argument toward the "right call, bad rule" believers that maybe it wasn't the right call.

Edited by Maverick

Everybody knows that Dez's catch was a catch, even by NFL rules, Mav. Don't worry about it. I understand that the term "football move" is out of the rulebook, but now it's something like" makes an act conducive to having possession of the ball" or some shit. Dez did everything he possibly could have and Steratore just decided to fuck the Cowboys. It's that simple.

Dez is so good that it hurt him. That's a pretty awesome excuse. lol

Lunging for the goal line without establishing control is not very smart, IMO. He risked completing the catch for 1 extra yard and a TD with allmost 5 minutes left on the clock. He should have worried more about catching the ball and less about scoring. It's one of those instances that you need to be aware of the situation and circumstances you find yourself in.

Doesn't really matter anyway, it's not like Dallas would have stopped Green Bay's offense if it was deemed a catch or even a TD.

Everybody knows that Dez's catch was a catch, even by NFL rules, Mav. Don't worry about it. I understand that the term "football move" is out of the rulebook, but now it's something like" makes an act conducive to having possession of the ball" or some shit. Dez did everything he possibly could have and Steratore just decided to fuck the Cowboys. It's that simple.

I agree with Maverick's take on it 100%. We both see eye to eye, that Dez was going to the ground by virtue of his momentum and how he came down.

The only real debate here, is whether or not his stretching out somehow constituted 'a football move'. That isn't obvious to everyone and clearly a case can be made for or against. I believe control was established -- but I also believe he was in the act of going to the ground. And I can see how establishment of control was questionable.

I agree, it's a stupid rule. It's really the same thing as the force out rule that is now extinct. I expect the idea of 'a football move' to go away completely. Replaced simply by the standards of catch (hands or body, ball not moving) and the instant 2 feet or body part other than hands land in play. This should apply not only for catches, but also for catches where a player is stripped of the ball almost instantaneously.

The subjective nature of football move is too difficult to apply evenly. Two feet and catch should be instant. The moment Bryant's foot landed in play should have been a catch. If a player catches it and a defender times his hit so that he is 'defenseless' and loses the ball -- that should be a fumble. Obviously head and neck targeting should apply if applicable. The very moment the ball is no longer bobbling around and 2 feet are down -- should equal catch and possession. Much easier standard to apply.

I get the rule as is. I don't like the rule. I think it'll go away. It wasn't an obvious misapplication of the rule. Certainly not obvious like that Boykin catch which I still can't understand how that was upheld.

The bottom line however, is that there were still 4 minutes remaining in the game. It wasn't "THE" reason they lost. Dallas had plenty of leads in this game and didn't protect any of those either. There was time to stop GB. The reality is, Dallas would have had to stop them regardless of the outcome. Had they scored a TD, the resulting 4 minute drill -- if it resulted in a field goal -- would have produced the same result. Dallas' D lost that game. And I'm not giving them a pass since the urgency to get off the field in either case was equally imperative.

The only thing that really happened, was Dallas simply imploded mentally when adversity hit. Not unlike how Detroit came unglued because of that non call. There was time and opportunity for both to win. But neither team could shake the effects of those plays.

• Upvote 1

It wasn't a catch by NFL rules and nearly everyone is saying that exactly, not what you are thinking. Also this has been pointed out multiple times but you have been so blinded, the ref doesn't make the call on challenges...A replay official is in charge of that. Everyone associated with officiating within in the league and outside it has backed up that call.

I've seen a million replays (as I'm sure everyone else here has) and I just looked over the rulebook and to me, "football move" is a red herring in the discussion

the rule in question is Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 (Link) which provides the definition for a completed catch as follows:

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete
(by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
© maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

Looking at that definition, (a) seems clear, (b) could not be clearer, © [which is where the "football move" language comes from] gives some issue regarding how long he maintained control, and would probably fall under the "inconclusive" provision of replay review, however, the rulebook provides some clarification on a few specific situations, one of which is highly relevant:

Item 4: Ball Touches Ground. If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a catch, provided that the player continues to maintain control.

The ball clearly touched the ground after Dez secured it and he did not continue to maintain control as the ball popped out as he rolled over, thus, no catch and the "football move" language has nothing to do with it

(b) states exactly why it should have been a catch, or at the very least, should have been enough for the call to stand.

He landed, maintained control, lunged for the endzone and extended his arm. This wasn't "player falling to the ground" scenario. This was an athletic freak play by an athletic freak. The call should have stood. The Cowboys are 3-7 with Gene Steratore under the whitehat, which sucks as he's phenomenal.

All things considered, and let me make this very clear--Gene Steratore is by and far my favorite NFL whitehat, followed by Bill Leavy and Bill Vinovich. The guy is the best of the best.

Edited by BwareDWare94

(b) states exactly why it should have been a catch, or at the very least, should have been enough for the call to stand.

you do realize those all say "and" right?

He landed, maintained control, lunged for the endzone and extended his arm. This wasn't "player falling to the ground" scenario. This was an athletic freak play by an athletic freak. The call should have stood. The Cowboys are 3-7 with Gene Steratore under the whitehat, which sucks as he's phenomenal.

All things considered, and let me make this very clear--Gene Steratore is by and far my favorite NFL whitehat, followed by Bill Leavy and Bill Vinovich. The guy is the best of the best.

Why do you keep bringing this up? It wasn't Steratore that made the call.

And those conditions are not or, they are and.

you do realize those all say "and" right?

Well, he did part (a), too. Dez did it all. It was the wrong call in every sense of these outlined rules.

Why do you keep bringing this up? It wasn't Steratore that made the call.

And those conditions are not or, they are and.

Yes it was. It's up the official reviewing the play. Not anybody else. They're in contact with others, yes, but it's up to the whitehat.