Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Bucs fire Lovie Smith

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618589/article/tampa-bay-buccaneers-fire-lovie-smith

Tampa Bay Buccaneers fire Lovie Smith

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Wednesday night that they will not retain coach Lovie Smith.

"After careful consideration, we informed Lovie that we have decided to make a change," Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer said in a statement released by the team. "I want to thank Lovie for his hard work and dedication to the Buccaneers during his time here. This decision was difficult on a variety of levels. I am disappointed that we were not more successful these past few seasons, but we are committed to doing what is necessary to give our fans the winning team they deserve. As we move forward, General Manager Jason Licht will oversee the process for finding our next head coach."

:ooo:

In the end Jameis could not save Lovie's job. heh heh heh

*already writes off TB for the next two years*

How to not run a functional football program.

:Bucs:

:Browns:

:49ers:

I dunno.. I thought the Bucs were improving. Kind of.

I'm torn on this. Lovie has done a bad job no doubt, his record in two years is worse than Schiano's and the decision to straight up cut Revis when our secondary is so horrible stings. But at some point we need to have some patience as a franchise and see something out.

• Upvote 1

Ya, is changing coaches every couple of years really going to provide the long term success the Bucs obviously yearn for? You are basically telling a coach that they have no leeway and must win from Day 1. Not terrible expectations to set, but it would cause stress for a lot of candidates from the beginning as well.

My guess is they want Koetter to take over since his offense was successful for the most part while Lovie's defense was shit. But I do hope we at least go through a thorough process and don't just give him the job like we did to Raheem years ago.

How to not run a functional football program.

:Bucs:

:Browns:

:49ers:

Or you can just keep an average coach who never wins in the playoffs :shrug:

Or you can keep firing coaches before they are allowed to build a team capable of makignthe playoffs. Just slowing the process as a whole down, IMO. Even if lovie isn't that great I think rolling with him for consistency's sake may help in the long term.

Look what the Jags are doing with Gus Bradley. Dude is arguably the worst coach in the league.

• Upvote 1

You have patience and after long enough you'll usually have a successful team. The Bengals are a severe outlier. I'd place the Bengals playoff losses more on bad luck and chance over lack of skill from the coaching department. When you look at the currently successful franchises in the NFL right now you see a lot of the same things. One of those things is a strong and patient foundation from the owner.

You never want a revolving door at HC. Never a good look and never an ideal way to build a successful team. That said, you also don't want to stick with a guy that you cannot/are not winning with just because of the above.

To me, the issue is this team, this ownership, has not hired the right guy. They clearly are not good at it and I am extremely happy that Licht is in charge of the new hire. I'd also bet that Licht talked the Glazers into firing Lovie in fear of losing Dirk Koetter. Apparently Koetter was on the Eagles (was Howie Roseman's #1 choice before Chip Kelly came along) list and is actually the Dolphins #1 option.

The only guy I honestly would take/be happy with over Koetter would be Hue Jackson. Although, I think it'll be Dirk and I am more interested in who he would bring in as his DC. Mike Smith?

Edited by BucD

it's weird, conventional wisdom says you give a coach at least a couple years to develop a young, highly drafted QB, yet last year the top two picks were QBs and now a year later both of those teams are satisfied with their QBs but looking for a new head coach

Poor Lovie. I don't know where to fall on this one. I can see both sides.

At the end of the day the team let go their HC to make room for their OC who they were scared of losing. That has been the overwhelming story being reported at least.....

Now I can understand the thinking...but coordinators leave all the time and you can't knee jerk and cut off the head of the snake for a guy you believe in based only on his work on one side of the ball. The bigger story is not the interest in Koetter...it is the lack of faith in Lovie who you would have NEVER fired to promote the best coordinator if you had a complete belief he would get you where you need to go.

Lastly I can understand the logic IF you are willing to sit back and say all the credit for the development of Jameis was because of Koetter. BUT the fact of the matter is people close to Jameis have claimed he doesn't even have a great relationship with Koetter....and actually had a strong personal relationship with Lovie and a better football relationship with his QB coach.

So with all that being said it is a curious move at best.

What it comes down to ultimately is that Lovie's defense wasn't good enough and the team saw an embarrassing collapse to finish 6-10 after being in the thick of the playoff hunt at 6-6. It's not like we faced a murder's row of opponents either. I'm not for constantly changing coaches, but I see why people wanted him gone. We'll just see who the new guy is.

Who knows, he's got experience as a HC in college. I like Koetter and would ultimately be okay if he's the guy, but I'm not 100% set on him either. I hope we talk to a bunch of guys, but at the end of the day I feel like the proven chemistry between Koetter and Winston will land him the job.

Sean McDermott may actually get the job given his history with Licht.

Licht has a history with both guys that He has interviewed.

I'd be lying if I said that didn't want an offensive-minded guy, but in the end, all I want is the best guy. Someone who's going to get his time to potentially build this team into a contender.

I'm just happy that our GM has literally been given full control to find the next guy because the Glazer boys have proven that they suck at HCing hires.

Edited by BucD

Adam Schein is harsh on Lovie Smith here, seems like the only media guy to feel that way. He isn't totally wrong but a bit harsh about it.

I'm really wanting Licht to interview Matt Patricia now. He'll have to wait until the Super Bowl bye week or until the Patriots are eliminated -- which ever comes first.

I'm really wanting Licht to interview Matt Patricia now. He'll have to wait until the Super Bowl bye week or until the Patriots are eliminated -- which ever comes first.

The Super Bowl week exception is only available for a second interview, you can interview assistant coaches on teams with a bye during wild card week and coaches on teams without a bye during the divisional round week, then you can do a call back interview of any of the coaches you interviewed during those windows during the Super Bowl bye week, otherwise you have to wait until after the Super Bowl

• Upvote 1

Adam Schein is harsh on Lovie Smith here, seems like the only media guy to feel that way. He isn't totally wrong but a bit harsh about it.

Adam Schein is a complete and utter moron who only gives the Saints and Falcons any sort of actual non-biased coverage in the NFCS.