Sign in to follow this  
BucD

REPORT: Raiders Acquire QB Carson Palmer From Bengals

They could have picked up David Garrard for a very low contract and got the same results as Palmer will get them.

Can the league decline such a ridiculous trade? I mean, this isn't even remotely fair..

Edit: Apparently Garrard is out for the year with back surgery..shock to me.

Why is everyone saying that Carson Palmer is garbage now? He's not. He's damn good. And as far as everyone saying Palmer has fallen off? Ummm, 2008 he played 4 games. . Then this:

2009:

60.5 CMP% | 3,094 Yards | 21 TD, 13 INT |

2010:

61.8 CMP% | 3,970 Yards | 26 TD, 20 INT |

I think it's important to keep this in perspective too, look at all the shit Palmer had to deal with both on the field and off in that Bengals organization. Chad Johnson was NEVER happy it seemed, and last season both Owens and Johnson missed significant time with leg injuries. I'm failing to see how ESPN and people in general are going to make a case that Palmer is falling off other than their flawed "Total QBR" system.

Why is everyone saying that Carson Palmer is garbage now? He's not. He's damn good. And as far as everyone saying Palmer has fallen off? Ummm, 2008 he played 4 games. . Then this:

2009:

2010:

I think it's important to keep this in perspective too, look at all the shit Palmer had to deal with both on the field and off in that Bengals organization. Chad Johnson was NEVER happy it seemed, and last season both Owens and Johnson missed significant time with leg injuries. I'm failing to see how ESPN and people in general are going to make a case that Palmer is falling off other than their flawed "Total QBR" system.

What you're ignoring is the fact that he is completely out of football shape, as he didn't even participate in any players-held camps during the lockout. He hasn't been through training camp either. Pile that on top of having to learn a completely new playbook and you've got yourself a disaster. Run DMC will have his carries doubled, more than likely, for the next 4-5 weeks. Just ask people like Peyton Manning and Chris Johnson how it is not to have training camp..

AcEE4afCEAEpnEy.jpg

@nflnetwork (NFL Network):

#USC number. RT @RAIDERS: QB Carson Palmer will wear jersey No. 3 for the Silver and Black.

Worst pick debacle since Mike Ditka went all in for Ricky Williams. Just for all of those thinking that Palmer just might be the second coming of Christ wearing a Raiders uni: 1. He hasn't played well since 2007. He HAS fallen off. 2. He has lead feet. Any kind of rush is going to get his brittle, retired legs broken. 3. A first round pick by itself is ridiculous for a 32 year old QB who hasn't played well in over three years. Adding on a second rounder=LOL

GIVE ME ALL OF YOUR PICKZ!

2009:

2010:

You don't trade 2 first round picks for a guy who throws 20 picks and has a completion percentage of 62. If he had that completion percentage right now, he would be 16th... He needs to be 66%+, IMo... And no more than 15 INT.

You don't trade a first and a 2nd pick for mediocrity.

So does MIke Brown still get bitched at for his stance of not wanting to trade Carson?

two first rounders... I did not expect the Raiders to give up that much for him. Still, this is the best case replacement for the Raiders, and while it'll take a few weeks to really get into the motions again, a good Carson Palmer can do some serious damage in this division.

I think this is a good trade for both the Raiders and Bengals. The Bengals get a first round pick that they can use to help in the rebuilding process, and plus, Andy Dalton is playing pretty well in his rookie season, so they don't really need Carson Palmer anymore (his salary is pretty high and he didn't even show up to training camp and the preseason so it would be a waste to keep on to him). The raiders get a pretty good quarterback who will end up playing well for the Raiders and help them get to the playoffs.

If we're talking Palmer circa '04 then I'd agree but he's just not the same player.

You don't trade 2 first round picks for a guy who throws 20 picks and has a completion percentage of 62. If he had that completion percentage right now, he would be 16th... He needs to be 66%+, IMo... And no more than 15 INT.

You don't trade a first and a 2nd pick for mediocrity.

And Eli Manning throws just as many picks every single year, yet get's considered in being "Elite"? :shrug: No offense, but people who say he is absolute garbage have flawed arguments.

He's not the best quarterback out there, but he's not the worst either, and it's not like he won't be able to do better than Jason Campbell. As I said, Campbell was nothing more than a game manager who couldn't get the ball down field very often like the Raiders are built to do. Palmer CAN do that, and he was still showing that in 2009 and 2010. Everyone just looks at the stats, and fails to actually watch players do just that, PLAY. Carson still has it, and you'll all see it soon.

And Eli Manning throws just as many picks every single year, yet get's considered in being "Elite"? :shrug: No offense, but people who say he is absolute garbage have flawed arguments.

He's not the best quarterback out there, but he's not the worst either, and it's not like he won't be able to do better than Jason Campbell. As I said, Campbell was nothing more than a game manager who couldn't get the ball down field very often like the Raiders are built to do. Palmer CAN do that, and he was still showing that in 2009 and 2010. Everyone just looks at the stats, and fails to actually watch players do just that, PLAY. Carson still has it, and you'll all see it soon.

Terrible comparison. I think Eli is a dumb overrated hick. Anything else?

• Upvote 1

sounds like a sig bet to me...

I don't care enough to bet anything. Palmer will be much better than Campbell was in the offense, and it will help the Raiders win football games NOW. That's what they want. They obviously already have a LOT of young talent on the team.

Has he not eat since he last played football? He looks anorexic.

He no eat. :nope:

Huh... all this time I thought Mike Brown had lost his damn mind. Either he knew what he was doing after all, or the Raiders are just really REALLY stupid.

I doubt this is a case of Mike Brown being a genius who was just trying to up Palmer's worth on the trade market. This sounds more like the Raiders making the Bengals an offer so retarded they just couldn't refuse.

Two first rounders for an over the hill QB who hasn't practiced or played a snap all year? Congradulations Raiders. Not only have you destroyed this season but you've sabatoged your next two. You'd better hope Palmer plays like Tom Brady or you just took a one way ticket back into irrelevence. (Which I believe is located somewhere in missouri)

I guess the best part of this trade, at least for me, is that I don't have to listen to all the football analysts trying to convince the Seahawks to take him. Good luck, Raiders. You'll be needing it.

Edited by Jayrus

Jayrus, I think you're absolutely blind if you really believe that the Raiders have ruined their season just by signing Palmer. Even if Palmer DOESN'T perform well he's still a better option than Boller and can manage the game just as well as Campbell did.

People are seeming to forget that this is a RUN FIRST offense with Darren McFadden holding down that side of the ball, and that the defense is pretty stout even after losing Nnamdi in FA.

It's not this season the Raiders have ruined but possibly their next four or five from losing all those draft picks.

Have they? I mean, over the past years they have absolutely stock piled first round draft picks on the team. Now they are all finally coming to the fore front and playing well. They don't have a pick until the 5th round this coming draft. That's fine. It's not like they lost all of 2013, 2014 and 2015. I think one year without draft picks, and possibly one without a 1st (or a 2nd) will be fine. It's not going to kill them.

Atlanta gave up much, much more for Julio Jones. They got knocked, however not nearly as much as the Raiders are for this.

Carson Palmer might turn out to be a good QB for the Raiders if he is completely healthy. The last few years he's been playing with a bunch of injuries and a bunch of Wide Receivers that did whatever they wanted, Palmer and Chad/T.O. were clearly not on the same page, for the most part. Between the injuries, horrible play calling and bad Wide Receiver play, I don't think it helped him much, plus the Bengals offensive line was average, at best. I think a change of scenery will do Palmer good, whether he returns to his 2005 self, I doubt it. I like what the Bengals got out of the deal though, the Bengals can really build for the future. I am glad Mike Brown finally put his pride aside and actually did a move to help out the football team. Good luck to Carson in Oakland, I think he will do well there.

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, those close to Carson Palmer believe his lengthy layoff has indeed strengthened a throwing arm that was noticeably flailing over the past two seasons.

"He's healthy as a horse," said ex-Jets QB Ken O'Brien, who has been working with Palmer the past few months. O'Brien concedes that Palmer came back from his elbow injury too quickly, "wasn't 100 percent natural" and "didn't look like his old self" from 2008-2010. After watching Palmer throw Thursday, Raiders beat writer Steve Corkran advised crossing "arm strength" off the list of concerns. The true test will be whether the arm wavers in December and perhaps January after 8-10 games. Oct 20 - 4:49 PM

Source: NFL.com

And so it begins...

The Raiders are reportedly no longer planning to start Carson Palmer because they're concerned with his ability to make "high-velocity throws" in a live, game setting after just three practices.

"I'm 95 percent sure he is not going to play," a source close to the situation told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "Practicing Wednesday and Thursday, he felt he's not ready to make those high-velocity throws yet. Maybe they could decide something at the last minute, but I don't think he's going to play." It sounds like the decision was made by Palmer, independently, as opposed to the coaching staff. Earlier in the week, offensive coordinator Al Saunders said Palmer would start against the Chiefs as long as he was still "breathing."

Source: ESPN.com

Dumbest shit I've seen in a LONG, LONG time. They would have been better to trade a 5th or some shit for Gradkowski, someone that knows their system and didn't do too terrible managing the game when he was there. So fucking dumb.

• Upvote 1