BLUE

Update: Chris Johnson back in tank as the Titans fall

Per Rotoworld.com:

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that "several teams" around the league believe the Titans may release Chris Johnson before the fifth day of the new league year in 2012.

Johnson's 2012 salary of $8 million would be guaranteed if he's on the roster at that point. It's guaranteed for injury only. According to PFT, the feeling is now that the Titans won't pay the money "unless his on-field play improves significantly." The fifth day of the next league year would fall in early March of 2012. Johnson signed a six-year, $55.26 million contract on September 1, and has been thoroughly ineffective through seven games. Nov 6 - 10:49 AM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Edited by BLUE

He better start playing some serious football...lmaoChrisJohnson

Good luck against the Bengals. CJ. When are you going to earn that paycheck?

Well damn, how this situation has spiraled downward in a hurry.

This is why you don't give an overrated scat back with gold teeth and a 3rd grade vocabulary $30mil in guaranteed money. Especially when the RB position is probably the easiest to find good players for. Only the worst scouting teams don't have one.

• Upvote 1

This is why you don't give an overrated scat back with gold teeth and a 3rd grade vocabulary $30mil in guaranteed

ScreenShot2011-11-06at125412PM.png

3rd grade?!? I know the school system is fucked but give 3rd graders some credit.

Anyway, lol @ this situation. I wouldn't have payed his ass, 2k or not he didn't come ready to play this season because he obviously didn't care to prepare. So why did he think he deserved the $$$? Oakland, Cincy, Redskins or Broncos will pick him up if he gets the ax.

rofl Chris Johnson, lolMikeyDay

• Upvote 1

He'll get picked up if he's cut. I'm surprised the Titans don't try and deal him if they are looking to get rid of him. Personally I don't think they should be ready to bail on him after 7 games. He's looked awful but I think he'll pick it up eventually.

I literally laughed out loud reading this thread title... Obviously it isn't a guaranteed thing. But even the thought of cutting "one of the leagues best RB" right after signing a contract extension makes me laugh.

Although, if they are thinking about cutting him already... I suppose he doesn't have much trade value? Really sucks for the Titans

He'll get picked up if he's cut. I'm surprised the Titans don't try and deal him if they are looking to get rid of him. Personally I don't think they should be ready to bail on him after 7 games. He's looked awful but I think he'll pick it up eventually.

if the Titans aren't willing to pay his contract why would anyone else?

This is very early speculation and obviously nothing will happen until the offseason and I still take everything that comes from PFT with a grain of salt, I don't care that they've been co-opted by NBC Sports they'll post any move if there's even a slim chance it might get discussed just for the headlines

I have an extremely short list of running backs that I believe should even deserve a contract like Johnson had received because they are the only guys I believe will continue to be successful:

Adrian Peterson (Got his deal)

Matt Forte

Ray Rice

Those are the only guys at RB I can say without a doubt I believe will be successful the length of their career. I've always thought that Chris Johnson was a benefactor of not great great vision added with his speed. Now he seems to have lost his vision and the guy is nothing.

However, I'm sure they could get something for the guy. Why wouldn't they try and trade him cheap? Would they still have to cover that salary for the new year if they traded him?

He had a pretty decent game tonight... Even though the Titans lost, he still had 4.6 yards a carry. Not exactly what we are used to from him, but definitely a step in the right direction.

I have an extremely short list of running backs that I believe should even deserve a contract like Johnson had received because they are the only guys I believe will continue to be successful:

Adrian Peterson (Got his deal)

Matt Forte

Ray Rice

Those are the only guys at RB I can say without a doubt I believe will be successful the length of their career. I've always thought that Chris Johnson was a benefactor of not great great vision added with his speed. Now he seems to have lost his vision and the guy is nothing.

However, I'm sure they could get something for the guy. Why wouldn't they try and trade him cheap? Would they still have to cover that salary for the new year if they traded him?

Shady McCoy?

And I think whoever signed him would have to cover the salary, Chris, or come to a deal on who exactly was going to cover it, but I'm unsure on how exactly that would work.

Edited by Thanatos19

if you trade for a player you assume his contract, there can be stipulations to the trade regarding a re-negotiation (ie, if the player won't renegotiate his contract the trade is void) but any team that trades for him would take his current contract, same as it works for any player

He had a pretty decent game tonight... Even though the Titans lost, he still had 4.6 yards a carry. Not exactly what we are used to from him, but definitely a step in the right direction.

and yet he only got 5 carries in the second half. I'm not going to say he's back, because 64 yards clearly isn't, but I did say last week that having coach publicly call him out could be the kick in the ass he needs and a 4.6 ypc against a team that's allowing an NFL-best 3.3 ypc is definitely a step in the right direction.

As for the rumors of him getting cut, the more I think about it the less sense it makes, do I think he'll be evaluated after the season? yes, everyone does. Do I think the standards of evaluation are going to be higher for him based on his contract? yes, just like they'd be for any player who just signed a major deal. But do I think anyone in the Titans organization is talking right now about cutting him? no, nothing would happen until after the season for a number of reasons [basically we're past the trade deadline so all we could do is waive him, nobody would pick him up because of his contract so we'd be stuck paying him this year while he signs with somebody for the vet minimum because he's got enough money from us and then he probably lights it up there because he has something to prove] so there's no reason to bring up the distraction at this point in the season. And as I've already said, I'm going to be skeptical of anything from PFT until it's verified by a real sports news site (I know, they've been co-opted by NBC, but they're still nothing more than a rumor mill full of half truths and full lies)

Shady McCoy?

And I think whoever signed him would have to cover the salary, Chris, or come to a deal on who exactly was going to cover it, but I'm unsure on how exactly that would work.

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure why they wouldn't want to trade him, whether they had a new rule or something in terms of contracts and trading. Guess not though. So that brings up the question, why the hell wouldn't you try and trade him? That fact you guys just gave me has pretty much deemed this article is more than likely a false speculation.

I know McCoy did great last season and is playing like an elite back right now but I think we've seen quite a few running backs come in and out of Philadelphia. If he can keep it up, that'd be awesome. Well, not for the rest of the league. But I just don't see him being a long termer as in 6 - 10 years.

Then again, I'm also not some professional at judging running backs. So who knows! :shrug:

Edited by Chris D

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure why they wouldn't want to trade him, whether they had a new rule or something in terms of contracts and trading. Guess not though. So that brings up the question, why the hell wouldn't you try and trade him? That fact you guys just gave me has pretty much deemed this article is more than likely a false speculation.

Why the hell would you trade for him if you have to pick up his current contract? As I said in my first post, if the Titans decide he's not worth the contract why would another team decide otherwise?

I don't think there's any credence to this. It's clear to me that some teams are interested in him but would rather just take on his salary and not have to trade anything away for him.

This is such a tough spot for the Titans because I think to say Johnson sucks is taking it too far. If he goes to say, a Redskins and lights it up because he prepared and took shit seriously then the Titans would look really bad for giving away arguably their top play maker.

When he ran outside behind Roos and Stewart, he gained yards. When he ran behind Harris, Amano and Scott he didn't get shit..so what do we do in the second half? On the 5 carries we give him, they're all up the middle.

WONDER WHY THAT DIDN'T WORK

th_MichaelShocked.gif

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Coach Mike Munchak said the Titans ran the same plays for Chris Johnson in Week 9 that they had run in previous weeks.

According to Munchak, they simply executed those plays better and thus allowed Johnson to find space on the outside. However, it's worth noting that Johnson had just five carries for nine yards in the second half as the Bengals clamped down. We're not ready to say he's turned the corner yet, although a tasty matchup with the Panthers' 27th-ranked run defense looms Sunday. Nov 8 - 11:03 AM

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Per Rotoworld.com:

Chris Johnson rushed 12 times for 13 yards and caught three passes for 15 yards as the Titans fell 23-17 to the Falcons in Week 11.

Last week was a fluke. Johnson supporters can continue to blame the rest of the Titans' offense, but he is undoubtedly the problem with Tennessee's league-worst rushing "attack." Unofficially, we counted one missed tackle on Johnson's 15 touches, and he lost significant playing time to Javon Ringer, particularly on passing downs. Johnson was seen smiling and joking with Falcons coaches after the game. The Titans face the Buccaneers next. Nov 20 - 7:23 PM

Guise, it's all on the offensive lines. They can't block for him so obviously he's only going to get 1 yard per carry because that's what all elite running backs do when their O-line doesn't block well.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2

you can't really expect a whole lot out of him when he only gets 12 carries, CJ will always have a lot of short carries surrounding a few great runs and you've gotta give him enough carries to get those breakaway runs, Munchak seems to have an annoying tendency to abandon the run once we fall behind, don't get me wrong, CJ needs to play better, but he definitely has better games when he gets more carries, he's only got two games this season with more than 14 carries where he's averaged less than 3.6 ypc out of six games with 14+ carries, and in 3 of the others he averaged 4.4 or more, compare that to the now 4 games in which he's had less than 14 carries where he only has one with more than 1.8 ypc, there are certainly other factors at play here, but CJ is a back that needs to get his carries

Edited by oochymp

you can't really expect a whole lot out of him when he only gets 12 carries, CJ will always have a lot of short carries surrounding a few great runs and you've gotta give him enough carries to get those breakaway runs, Munchak seems to have an annoying tendency to abandon the run once we fall behind, don't get me wrong, CJ needs to play better, but he definitely has better games when he gets more carries, he's only got two games this season with more than 14 carries where he's averaged less than 3.6 ypc out of six games with 14+ carries, and in 3 of the others he averaged 4.4 or more, compare that to the now 4 games in which he's had less than 14 carries where he only has one with more than 1.8 ypc, there are certainly other factors at play here, but CJ is a back that needs to get his carries

He had 15 touches for 28 yards.

That is less than 2yds/touch. Unless you're gonna say he can only bust one when he gets the ball handed to him by his QB, instead of taking a screen pass. CJ cannot break tackles.

Edited by Thanatos19

He had 15 touches for 28 yards.

That is less than 2yds/touch. Unless you're gonna say he can only bust one when he gets the ball handed to him by his QB, instead of taking a screen pass. CJ cannot break tackles.

if I'm not mistaken, RBs are primarily judged by their running, so I was just looking at rushing stats, I can revisit this and look at his yards from scrimmage based on touches, but that's not the breakdown I provided earlier.

EDIT: ok, I broke it down based on touches rather than carries, first here are the numbers I got (pulled from NFL.com):

Week 1 (@ Jac) 24/9 rush 25/6 rec 49/15 total 3.3 ypt

Week 2 (Bal) 53/24 rush 12/3 rec 65/27 total 2.4 ypt

Week 3 (Den) 21/13 rush 54/4 rec 75/17 total 4.4 ypt

Week 4 (@ Cle) 101/23 rush 11/2 rec 112/25 total 4.5 ypt

Week 5 (@ Pitt) 51/14 rush 14/3 rec 65/17 total 3.8 ypt

Week 7 (Hou) 18/10 rush 27/6 rec 45/16 total 2.8 ypt

Week 8 (Indy) 34/14 rush 17/3 rec 51/17 total 3.0 ypt

Week 9 (Cincy) 64/14 rush 46/4 rec 110/18 total 6.1 ypt

Week 10 (@ Car) 130/27 rush 44/4 rec 174/31 total 5.6 ypt

Week 11 (@ Atl) 13/12 rush 15/3 rec 28/15 total 1.9 ypt

and the break moves to 16/17 carries (which is fitting since he's averaging 3.8 catches per game) but it's just as distinct

17+ touches: 7 games, 3 games under 4.4 ypt (two of which were in 17 touch games) 1 under 3.0 ypt

16- touches: 3 games, 1 game over 2.8 ypt and none over 3.3 ypt

Edited by oochymp