Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Del Rio out in Jacksonville

Per PFT:

Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2011, 8:25 AM EST

On Sunday, Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver said that he’d leave the topic of coach Jack Del Rio’s future for another day.

If you had “Tuesday” in the office pool, congratulations.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Del Rio has been fired.

The move comes as no surprise, especially since Del Rio has publicly blamed offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter twice in two weeks for decisions that went bad during Jacksonville losses. Most recently, Del Rio said that a key timeout wasn’t taken because Koetter didn’t want it, a shameful passing of the buck away from the desk of the man who runs the show.

Perhaps Del Rio, sensing his demise, was hoping to keep Koetter from becoming the interim head coach.

The second coach in franchise history leaves with a regular-season record of 69-73, with a 1-2 record in two playoff appearances.

I was always a big fan of Coughlin so I never really gave Del Rio a decent chance.

He needed to go, though.

Mel Tucker as the interim coach per PFT

The Jaguars will continue with a defensive-minded head coach for the final five weeks of the season.

Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union reports that defensive coordinator Mel Tucker will be the interim head coach in Jacksonville following Jack Del Rio’s dismissal on Tuesday.

The two most likely options were Tucker, and offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter. Koetter has been in the news of late because Del Rio said the offensive playcalling at the end of the Browns loss and the decision not to call a timeout against Houston both were Koetter’s decisions.

Tucker has been with the Jaguars since 2009 as defensive coordinator.

He should be a hot commodity as a defensive coordinator next season. He won't be out of work for long.

@AdamSchefter:

So to recap: Jags fired their HC, extended their GM and are selling the team. Other than that, pretty quiet.

@JasonLaCanfora:

Can confirm Wayne Weaver will be putting the Jags up for sale, and wants team to stay in Jacksonville. And GM Gene Smith has new contract

Report: Jags are being sold to Shahid Khan, who tried to buy the Rams in 2010

-PFT

Khan will say today he plans to keep the team in Jacksonville

-Peter King

Edited by GoodellFTL

You fire your HC then extend the GM responsible for drafting the shit players your HC has had to deal with? Thank God they're selling the team, maybe someone with half a brain will buy it.

About time. Thanks for nothing Del Rio. We will not miss your mediocrity at all.

Hopefully the Jags stay in Jax. Word is the new owner plans to keep them there, but who knows.

Gene Smith....meh. Could be way worse (Shack Harris)

-PFT

[/font][/size][/color]

-Peter King

@AlbertBreer:

Weaver also said he didn't have Khan put anything in writing about keeping team in Jacksonville, saying he has "trust in human nature".

I see this as a mega fail by the Jaguars here, not because they fired him but the fact that they did it now and not at the beginning of the season. We all knew that if he stayed during this season that this was going to be the outcome from the start. They should of used this season as the start of a new direction under a new HC seeing as they did draft Gabbert it would be been the perfect time to do it as they could of installed the system with him without any hassle. Now the fact there will be a new HC with a different system that is gonna fuck around and stunt Gabberts growth as a QB.

Good move but at the wrong time

Bangy with a rather intelligent comment? Excuse me for a moment.

Nope, no pigs flying. Huh.

It was obvious he was toast. Norv Turner, Tony Sparano and Jim Caldwell are next.

I can't believe Bangy actually posted something logical and not completely off the wall....

Anyway, Bangy is right. I would have completely cleaned house if I was Jacksonville this offseason. Not only was Jack Del Rio in over his head, but he had lost this team years ago, and proved over and over again that he was no longer fit to be the head coach of this football team.

The way he let Byron Leftwich go... The way he let David Garrard go... Benching your starting QB for a rookie who wasn't ready to play and who NEEDED to sit and absorb the game for a season or two... Using your OC as a scapegoat for your failures.

Like somebody mentioned above.. it makes no sense to give the GM an extension... If I am the new owner, I am COMPLETELY starting over. New GM, new coach.. Keep a couple players that are some young talent with potential.. keeping a couple savvy vets to help lead the team... Everyone else is gone. And I definitely wouldn't have promised to keep the team in Jacksonville. I think that's part of their problem... But winning will solve any of those issues.

• Upvote 1

I see this as a mega fail by the Jaguars here, not because they fired him but the fact that they did it now and not at the beginning of the season. We all knew that if he stayed during this season that this was going to be the outcome from the start. They should of used this season as the start of a new direction under a new HC seeing as they did draft Gabbert it would be been the perfect time to do it as they could of installed the system with him without any hassle. Now the fact there will be a new HC with a different system that is gonna fuck around and stunt Gabberts growth as a QB.

Good move but at the wrong time

He would've been fired had the lockout not occured. I don't think many people were expecting us to have this much of a dropoff this year, so jettisoning the coach and probably the OC as well isn't the best move to make in what was likely going to be a lockout shortened season. And yes, I'm aware other teams jettisoned their HCs in the offseason and had some success afterwards, but I still think it was the right thing to do to not fire him.

But lets say we did fire him in the offseason, who do we replace him with? John Fox? Ron Rivera? Pass.

As for the rest of the season, I'm very curious to see whether or not the offensive play call changes now that JDR is gone. There's been rumbling in the past that JDR was stiffling the offense, though I'm not sure if that was just the case when Garrard was here, or if our current O-line will allow us to do anything different.

He would've been fired had the lockout not occured. I don't think many people were expecting us to have this much of a dropoff this year, so jettisoning the coach and probably the OC as well isn't the best move to make in what was likely going to be a lockout shortened season. And yes, I'm aware other teams jettisoned their HCs in the offseason and had some success afterwards, but I still think it was the right thing to do to not fire him.

But lets say we did fire him in the offseason, who do we replace him with? John Fox? Ron Rivera? Pass.

As for the rest of the season, I'm very curious to see whether or not the offensive play call changes now that JDR is gone. There's been rumbling in the past that JDR was stiffling the offense, though I'm not sure if that was just the case when Garrard was here, or if our current O-line will allow us to do anything different.

Well, who are you going to hire now?!? lol.

I wouldn't want Fox or Rivera, either... But that's what the interview process is for. Would it have been difficult for a brand new staff to get their feet wet during a lockout shortened off season? Sure.. but expectations are non-existent. There wouldn't be any pressure to get results right away.

I think the Jags end up hiring a not as well known guy to be their head coach.

I think the Jags end up hiring a not as well known guy to be their head coach.

Seeing as that's what I want, I don't have a problem with that.

Seeing as that's what I want, I don't have a problem with that.

Just stay away from Green Bays staff.

Just stay away from Green Bays staff.

Do the Packers even have any up and coming members in their coaching staff?

Do the Packers even have any up and coming members in their coaching staff?

Numerous.

The Jags can take Brian VanGorder away from us...and we'll take Del Rio as our DC. :yep: