Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Update: Drew Brees is "livid" about being franchise tagged

Per PFT:

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2012, 10:27 AM EST

Drew Brees and the Saints have said so many times that both sides want to get a long-term contract done that it seems like a mere formality that things will get worked out long before it’s time for Brees to get to work at the Saints’ first offseason minicamp.

But one report suggests that contract talks aren’t moving as quickly as the Brees side expected: ESPN’s John Clayton said on SportsCenter this morning that Brees’ agent, Tom Condon, is surprised by the slow pace of the talks.

“I ran into his agent, Tom Condon of CAA, last week, and even he’s kind of baffled at this time as far as how this is going because it’s going to slow,” Clayton said. “Everybody knows the Saints aren’t going to lose Drew Brees. They can franchise him, they can get him to a long-term deal. But they’re really somewhat nowhere right now as far as getting a contract. But there’s still plenty of time before they have to make a franchise designation to pick things up. But that has to start picking up, really, in the next week or so. At this stage there’s been no real solid progress, but everybody in New Orleans, including Drew Brees, knows he’s not going to be a free agent. He is their franchise.”

The issue isn’t whether Brees will be the Saints’ quarterback in 2012. He will be. Condon being baffled isn’t like Tiki Barber being flabbergasted because Barber was flabbergasted when the 2011 season started and he wasn’t under contract. One way or another, Brees and the Saints will find a way to get him under contract before the 2012 season starts.

Condon’s comments, however, suggest that the agent is trying to do what agents do, and spurring the Saints to get moving on a long-term deal. If that doesn’t happen and the Saints put the franchise tag on Brees, and if Brees decides he’s not interested in signing the one-year franchise tender, this could drag out much further into the Saints’ offseason than anyone in New Orleans would like.

Edited by BucD

Saints are waiting on Manning to be released so they can sign him. :yep:

The longer they wait, the higher the potential they lose some FA's. Take your time, Saints...take your time. :devious:

Word. I want in on the Colston sweepstakes.

The longer they wait, the higher the potential they lose some FA's. Take your time, Saints...take your time. :devious:

Carl Nicks needs to come to daddy. :Cowboys:

:yep:

It's about time that teams like the Cardinals, Dolphins****, Redskins etc. swoop in and pull a major New Orleans cock block on Drew Brees. That would make my life absolutely fucking complete. Get Drew Brees out of the South!

Fact is...the Saints are going to lose at least 2 huge pieces to their offense this off-season...and that will most likely be Carl Nicks and Colston...

Go get Colston, SteVo.

I either want him on the Panthers or out of the South.

Unless teams offer insane money for Nicks and Colston then I think all 3will be back in a Saints uniform.

At least I hope so.

Wow people are really fighting over Colston? He'll need another gunslinger QB to be as good as he is now.

Unless teams offer insane money for Nicks and Colston then I think all 3will be back in a Saints uniform.

At least I hope so.

Cowboys and Redskins can very well take care of that....

Wow people are really fighting over Colston? He'll need another gunslinger QB to be as good as he is now.

Hey if you don't want a big strong receiver who can fight off DB's and run precise routes on your team, then all the better for the Saints.

• Upvote 2

Cowboys and Redskins can very well take care of that....

Thats what worries me

:yep:

I want a slice of Carl Nicks and Robert Meachem (wishful thinking)

lolBC fail.

Colston is a heck of a wideout, but when he's hurt the Saints passing game never seems to miss a beat. That's the only thing that makes me wonder about him. Still, if he leaves, that could leave a big whole in the Saints offense. If he leaves before Brees signs, that could screw the Saints big time. If they lose Brees' best receiver, that could drive up the ticket on Brees. He could use that as a bargaining chip to put the screws to the team.

At least I hope so.

Colston has already gone on record as saying he will not take a pay cut to stay with Nawlins.

I get to watch Colston enough to know that he is a monster when healthy. Very few db's can be physical enough to fight him fire the ball.

Per RotoWorld:

According to Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole, the Saints and free agent Drew Brees remain "roughly $5 million a year apart" on a new contract.

That's a lot of ground to make up by Monday's franchise tag deadline. The Saints could free up $5 million by restructuring Will Smith's contract, and another $11 million by cutting MLB Jonathan Vilma and DT Sedrick Ellis. If the Saints are forced to use the exclusive franchise tag on Brees, they run the risk of losing both Marques Colston and Carl Nicks. Mar 1 - 6:30 PM

Source: Yahoo! Sports

Good, good.

Rip the Saints apart, Breesy. Let's see just how good you are without Nicks protecting you and Colston to throw to.

Well, well. Looks like the once invincible Saints offence could crumble. Better lock up the players fast NO.

Per RotoWorld:

WIST-AM New Orleans reports Drew Brees is "livid" about being franchise tagged, and will not sign his tender.

WIST-AM is not typically in the business of breaking major Saints news, but this is certainly plausible. The Saints and Brees have fruitlessly worked toward an extension for nearly two years, and have made surprisingly little progress since talks got serious in August. The sides now have until July 16 to work out a long-term contract. If a deal has not been reached by then, it's entirely possible Brees will refuse to sign his tender and threaten to miss parts of training camp. It's been a rough week for the Saints.

Mar 6 - 8:32 AM

Source: WIST-AM New Orleans

The Saints are a mess and I love every minute of it. :troll: