Sarge

Healthy Food

Post in this topic about your favorite healthy foods and recipes.

For breakfast there is nothing better than egg whites. Super healthy and if you mix it with a little feta cheese and spinach, its even better. Eat a plate of that with a slice or two of wheat toast and you've got yourself a great, easy to make breakfast.

For breakfast there is nothing better than egg whites.

Why egg whites? There is no correlation --scientifically-- that says whole eggs are bad for you. The yolk is full of nutrients that you miss out on if you're just doing the whites. I eat 6 eggs most days of the week and my cholesterol is fantastic. I think people still believe cholesterol in your diet equals cholesterol in your blood, which is proven to be untrue.

• Upvote 2

Why egg whites? There is no correlation --scientifically-- that says whole eggs are bad for you. The yolk is full of nutrients that you miss out on if you're just doing the whites. I eat 6 eggs most days of the week and my cholesterol is fantastic. I think people still believe cholesterol in your diet equals cholesterol in your blood, which is proven to be untrue.

Less calories, less fat, and no cholesterol. I can sacrifice the little bit of vitamin D and iron I miss out on in exchange for the aforementioned negatives.

I guess it depends on the individual goal. I personally like to mix one whole egg with my egg whites, so that I can get those extra nutrients. Initially I was trying to cut fat which is why I only had the egg whites. I supplemented the yoke by taking vitamins which the yoke contains.

Edited by KiLaSix9

Less calories, less fat, and no cholesterol. I can sacrifice the little bit of vitamin D and iron I miss out on in exchange for the aforementioned negatives.

I guess it depends on the individual goal. I personally like to mix one whole egg with my egg whites, so that I can get those extra nutrients. Initially I was trying to cut fat which is why I only had the egg whites. I supplemented the yoke by taking vitamins which the yoke contains.

I can see calories and less fat (although it's healthy fat) but the question above was Healthy Food not 'diet' food. I would say eggs with the yolk is a perfectly healthy food.

Again, in most people --those that arent diabetic-- dietary cholesterol generally speaking has little to no effect on blood cholesterol.

Edited by NaTaS
  • Upvote 1

In before trident says Big Macs.

I try to have a couple of these a week when I get the time, but it's really good and healthy. :yep: And you can't go wrong with what pro athletes eat.

ib4 Trident mentions pizza.

Dammit, trying to find the Rocco's Modern life clip of Heffer and Rocco going back and forth saying "Pizza" "Healthy Snacks"

• Upvote 1

I try to have a couple of these a week when I get the time, but it's really good and healthy. :yep: And you can't go wrong with what pro athletes eat.

^ I used to make that all the time except I didn't use a bagel with cinnamon. I'd recommend putting a little tabasco in the cream cheese and skipping the ketchup.

Beef & Kale soup:

Large diced onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 lb of 93/7 beef, 4 cups chicken broth, tomato sauce, 1 diced tomato, 3 cups of garbanzo beans, and about 5 fistfuls of kale. Put in some basil, oregano, fennel, and add a bit of parmesan cheese and tabasco after you put it in the bowl.

Edited by Shotgun

There's this really cool bakery near my work that does a lot of great stuff. One of my faves there is this florentine panini with trout, fetta cheese and poached eggs (hollandaise sauce optional). Quite a healthy meal, plus it tastes delicious!

Edited by RANGA

Nothing quite so indulgent as shoving 20 carrot sticks in your mouth when you're doing homework...

Something I noticed at the store today... You know how people always try to say eating healthy is expensive? I think it's time for a new excuse because you can get a pound of fresh fruits and vegetables for the same prices as candy bars or less.

Maybe that's just for me locally, though. I don't know what the national trends are for that.

Something I noticed at the store today... You know how people always try to say eating healthy is expensive? I think it's time for a new excuse because you can get a pound of fresh fruits and vegetables for the same prices as candy bars or less.

Maybe that's just for me locally, though. I don't know what the national trends are for that.

It's actually cheaper here.

I bought a bag of a dozen oranges for the same price as I would have to buy a bag of those little snickers.

I love oranges. Almost any type of fruit, except pineapple, and that's just because I used to live in Hawaii and got them fresh. Now I don't like the taste of pineapples that isn't fresh, which is pretty hard to get in the middle of Kentucky.

It is correct but incorrect as well. You can get fruit from much cheaper than you would pay for other "snacks" now trying to cook with organic foods that are deemed "healthy" like the whole grain spaghetti noodles is more expensive than the others. Organic Ketchup (not exactly a meal unless you are a bachelor but just to illustrate the point), Leaner meats are more expensive and many other examples.

Dammit, trying to find the Rocco's Modern life clip of Heffer and Rocco going back and forth saying "Pizza" "Healthy Snacks"

Found it :yep:

4 MINUTES IN

Edited by BayAreaBomber

When people say that they are comparing the costs with things like boxes of mac n cheese, not the occasional candy bar. My family eats pretty healthy, we use low carb pastas and lots of fruits and vegetables. Our grocery bill went through the roof in comparison to when we didn't eat well, and the stuff we ate before used plenty of ingredients. It's just rather than spending a $1 on a box of pasta we have to spend around $3. Rather than buying the cheaper cuts of meat we have to get the leaner cuts and leaner ground beef for a couple dollars more per pound. And because we eat so many vegetables and fruit, we have to eat more often. So yes, actually eat healthy is pretty damn expensive.

My grocery bill didn't go up that much. :shrug:

Maybe the places I buy from just have better deals.

When people say that they are comparing the costs with things like boxes of mac n cheese, not the occasional candy bar. My family eats pretty healthy, we use low carb pastas and lots of fruits and vegetables. Our grocery bill went through the roof in comparison to when we didn't eat well, and the stuff we ate before used plenty of ingredients. It's just rather than spending a $1 on a box of pasta we have to spend around $3. Rather than buying the cheaper cuts of meat we have to get the leaner cuts and leaner ground beef for a couple dollars more per pound. And because we eat so many vegetables and fruit, we have to eat more often. So yes, actually eat healthy is pretty damn expensive.

Go to a Whole Foods or a Farmer's Market and the prices actually aren't all that much. :shrug:

• Upvote 1

I could list all the obvious things but I guess the point of the thread is to share innovative ideas to stop eating the basic boring healthy food that turns your appetite off. I have the same problem, sometimes it all just sounds crap. Lately I've been doing a lot of hamburger helper, chicken casseroles, and egg sandwiches. The pasta in the casseroles and hamburger helper is the questionable part. Often the pasta is starch pasta and not grain pasta, which tastes much better, but you have to watch the frequency and amount of it you eat, because a lot of starch will lead to having a gut.

Go to a Whole Foods or a Farmer's Market and the prices actually aren't all that much. :shrug:

I do, but they are barely cheaper (depending on grocery store sales they can be more expensive), and they don't sell everything we need. It's probably just different where I live compared to you. I know in Florida the Farmer's Markets had food quite a bit cheaper than the chain groceries, but here it's unfortunately not like that.

Yeah, Whole Foods is in no way synonymous with a farmer's market. Whole Foods is a brand name cooperation that has taken full advantage of people's obsession with 'fresh' and 'organic' foods and priced them high. Whole Foods is in no shape or form, considered cheap.

I'll be back later with my opinion on 'healthy' food as well.

• Upvote 1

Socal, give us what you recommend that is healthy (meaning will help you reduce fat and get toned) but at the same time isn't just simple answers like egg whites, baked lean chicken, etc. Need some new things. My current diet is smoked salmon, toast, protein smoothies, lettuce, white rice, bananas, and muscle milk but only because it comes in cases that can sit in my car for months and not expire. Need something that can exist in my car for my long 14 hour days away from the kitchen.