Dutch

Who are your top 5 players of all time?

In the game that we all know and love, what 5 players would you consider to be your favorite of all time?

EDIT Been meaning to add my edited list for a while. In my rush attempt to finish that long post(took almost a hour), I left out some players; A VERY important player. I wrote that post with his paraphernalia right here on my computer desk (this is why I don't need to smoke and post). I like to stir the pot a little and I knew my T.O post would and I don't mind taking on the heat defending my opinion; which in turn clouded my mind and took my attention away my favorite Eagle of all time. Brian Dawkins #2.

1. Barry Sanders - My ALL TIME favorite football player period. I've been watching Barry since I can remember at like 5 years old with my older cousin (which was his idol and became mines) who introduced me to football at a young age. I remember us getting hype every time Barry juked someone or made a good play. Barry played the game unlike no other (Gale Sayers exception) being the most elusive RB in the history of the game and one of the most exciting imo as well. Barry didn't have a H.O.F O-line or other weapons on the team to draw attention away from him. Teams zeroed in and focused everything on Barry and he still did his thing. He's attitude and demeanor was always classy and humble. Barry, my favorite and the best RB of all time.

My favorite Barry plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvOZsAoXy7o&feature=related

^ One of my favorite runs of all time. I remember my jaw dropping when I saw this play. Skip to 0:34.

2.Brian Dawkins:- B-Dawk is one special Eagle. He was our unquestioned leader, our commander, the heart and soul of our defense. Dawkins played the game with so much passion and gave every ounce of effort every time he stepped onto the field. He rallied our defense together and got them to play better. He awed us with spectacular plays, high flying big hits, interceptions, blazing personality, and amazing leadership. While Dawkins played in the back of our defense, he was no doubt the core that kept it together. He was one of the most feared defenders in the league. People talk about Ray Lewis playing at a high level for a long period of time. Dawkins was also one of those players that played at a high level for a long time well over a decade. The way Brian Dawkins played the game and was utilized in our era allowed the Eagles and Jim Johnsons defense to do so many things and then came Strong Safeties like Polamalu who was (undoubtedly better) utilized the same way and similar playstyle (They discuss that here) http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d8288a830/Is-Brian-Dawkins-a-Hall-of-Famer Dawkins is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer one day and my favorite eagle of all time. I'll never forget Dawkins last year with us especially that game in 2008 when we demolished the Cowboys 44-6 to get it he play offs and B-Dawk was a huge contributor to that; 5 tackles, 1 sack, and two clutch forced fumbles. One went back and Dawkins recovered the other. The Eagles are usually on point with getting rid of players before they diminish under there roof but they were wrong about B-Dawk and we have yet to find a replacement.

B-Dawk forever, the heart of an Eagle:

3. Marvin Harrison- Marvin Harrison is my favorite WR of all time. Simply put, I just love his game. He's not a big guy, 6 ft, 185 lbs and he still did his thing. Marvin's hands and route running was just impeccable. One of the best route runners imo; the speed in and out of his routes and separation he got was ridiculous. His hands were golden. I may have seen Marvin drop a pass like 3 times ever. One sticks out in the pro bowl and that don't count for nothing. People argue a lot saying Manning made Marvin. Having a QB like Manning does help in a lot of ways but it worked hand in hand. Peyton made some deadly accurate throws to where only Harrison could get a hold of it. But Peyton also had a lot of easy throws because Harrison was so god dam open it didn't make any sense. I don't care how accurate a QB is; to catch 143 balls in a season, that receiver had to be getting open a lot. That's one record I don't think will ever be broken. 143 receptions in a season; that's just insane.

Some nice Marvin plays. 2:41's route is CRAZY. Someone show me a better route then that.

4. Larry Fitzgerald- First and foremost, Larry has to be one of the classiest players in the NFL; real stand up guy. Second, one of the best WR (best imo) in the game today. Larry is the prototypical epitome of the WR position. He is a route technician the way he goes in and out of his routes; one of the best route runners in the league. He has the best hands in the league and makes some of the most acrobatic amazing catches. Larry is on pace with majority of Jerry Rice's records and the most consistent WR year in and year out with the horrible QBs he has had to endure since Kurt Warner retired(GET HIM A QB!!). If it's anyone that I want to win a superbowl outside the Eagles organization, it's Larry. He deserves it. He also shows it's more to life the football going on those philosophical spiritual journeys he takes.

People forgot about the acrobatic catches Larry makes bcuz of Calvin Johnson's big year. Here's a reminder.

5. Terrell Owens- Easily one of the most polarizing players in the game today. T.O's career has been trailed by much negative media attention and controversy. There's no doubt that T.O brought some of that upon himself during his time with the 49er's, Eagles, and Cowboys. Was he selfish at times? Yes, he was. Did he say more then he should have at times? Yes, he did. But the media did a lot to help controls T.O's image making it worse then what it actually was. T.O was too real at times when he shouldn't have, throwing his QB's under the bus when things went wrong and he didn't get the ball. Selfish indeed but a lot great WR's spoke up about getting the ball: Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Chris Carter. I don't condone it or justify his actions because T.O took it to another level by talking about the issues outside of camp to the media; the worst enemy. That was his main flaw but I don't judge him for that. T.O chilled out after his tenure in Dallas. Even with all that being said, T.O no doubt put up numbers. T.O is the 2nd ALL TIME leading receiver in the history of the NFL only behind Jerry Rice. T.O electrified the league for years and was very entertaining to watch. I enjoyed his tenure with the Eagles even though he threw McNabb under the bus revealing that McNabb puked in the superbowl :facepalm: . T.O was the most complete receiver since Jerry Rice, blocking, receiving, and running all routes. T.O has a lot of haters which also makes him one of my favorites. At the end of the day, numbers don't lie. T.O was a baller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91yHsjwhNjI T.O highlights

Other Candidates

Ray Lewis -This dude is something special... Easily going to go down as one of the greatest line backers of all time (Behind Lawrence Taylor and an argument can be made for Dick Butkus). Ray is a physical monster who plays the game with so much intensity, pride, and heart. Ray has been a play maker since he's been in the league; everyone knows that. But a quality that separates him from so many other players is the fact that he makes his team better. He makes the teammates around him play better and rise their level of play (like Jordan). His leadership qualities are probably second to none. The way he rallies his team, motivates them, inspires them, and then play hard for him is an amazing trait. His speech's are some of the best I've ever heard. I don't know anyone that may (Peyton) be as important to his team and organization as him. He was born to be a leader. He is the definition of greatness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_bAnw6EgjE Ray making plays

The man off the field; inspirational / motivational speech.

Jerry Rice- It feels so wrong not having the Greatest Football player of ALL TIME in my top 5.. but a lot of Rice happened before my time and he had a few great seasons when I started watching football and I was very young. All the players on my list I actually got to watch play. With that being said though, Jerry Rice stands alone at the pinnacle of football history over shadowing everyone by miles in every category at his position; definitely the hardest working player to perfect his craft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BBi9L5TE6A&feature=related /salute The best ever

Randy Moss- Growing up in the late 90's and 2000's watching Randy revolutionized back yard football.. Every time someone made a long catch over someone or burning them, you heard ppl shouting "MOSS'ED (in philly anyways). I couldn't wait to make a play just so I can say "MOSS'ED" back when I was younger lol. Randy was an immediate star from his rookie year and electrified the league. The reason why I put T.O over is because Moss is mainly known for the go route burning people with blazing speed and amazing leaping spectacular catches. Moss was a freak of nature, the 1st of his kind at the WR position (handing the torch to Calvin Johnson) but T.O was more versatile (hands not as great as Moss's though). Moss was and still is a major icon and has changed the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE8sJI7PxQU May or may not want to mute the music.

Deion Sanders- One of the most electrifying (favorite word describing play makers) and entertaining defensive players in the game.

defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhp6-fd1fc electrifying plays

INSANE college punt return; dude fast as shit.

Well these are my favorites :rock:

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

First off, how the fuck is TO one of your all time favorite players? You kidding me? The guy ripped the heart out of our team and then he defected to Dallas where he ripped us a new asshole a few times in some big games.

now for my favorite 5 players all time. I'll give an Eagles list and then a non Eagles list.

1. Brian Dawkins, he gave everything he had every Sunday and lead this team for over a decade. He did a lot of great work in the community off the field and is just a great person on top of being a hall of fame caliber player.

2. Donovan McNabb, greatest QB in franchise history. I have a lot of great memories watching Eagles football with number 5 under center.

3. Troy Vincent, the consumate professional. He was a GREAT football player for us but he's another guy who was just an excellent leader both on the field with his teammates in the community.

4. Trent Cole, Love this guy. Blue collar player who broke into the league as an undersized DE, but worked his ass off to put on weight and turn into the leagues best 4-3 DE. He has no holes in his game and has been the best player on this team for the last 5 years or so.

5. Sheldon Brown, loved watching Sheldon play. He was always underrated in coverage, but despite being as undersized as he is he's never been afraid to lay the wood and get physical. Humble and another good person on and off the field

Now for my non-Eagles list. Can't really put this one in order as easily.

Willie Roaf, best player that I've actually watched myself. In 2005 when Larry Johnson rushed for 2000 yards I have never seen a LT be as dominant as Roaf was as a run blocker. I remember him just blowing Michael Strahan off the ball and Strahan was far from just some finesse pass rusher

Troy Polamalu, Just an incredibly fun player to watch. He's always flying around, launching his body over the top of piles and for such a great player you never hear the guy run his mouth. He just goes out, plays and wins championships.

Marshall Faulk, best RB I ever watched. Extremely, extremely intelligent and just a game changing dynamic player. If he would have stayed healthy he'd be a lot further up on the record books.

Tony Gonzalez, we got to watch a truly special player in Gonzo. For a TE to be as far up on the list of all time yards, receptions and TD's is absolutely amazing. He started the trend of taking basketball players an turning them into TE's.

Justin Smith, another blue collar player. A guy that has never gotten the credit he deserves and probably never will. If he can play 2-3 more years at the level he's played the last few I would argue he should be in the hall of fame because he has absolutely dominated the past few years. He's just not going to rack up sack or tackle totals.

1. Barry Sanders

2. Jerry Rice

3. Dick Butkus

4. Marshall Faulk

5. Ray Lewis

First off, how the fuck is TO one of your all time favorite players? You kidding me? The guy ripped the heart out of our team and then he defected to Dallas where he ripped us a new asshole a few times in some big games.

Ripped the heart out of our team I think is an over statement. It's not like he destroyed our team by any means. He was a distraction though. He bashed McNabb which a lot of ppl in philly did for hearing that he puked in the superbowl and made drama with his contract. Very selfish indeed but I've always liked T.O. and that didn't change. It would have been nice if things worked out but they didn't. Injuries is what killed us in 2005.

I can't believe I forgot B-Dawk.. I have B-Dawk paraphernalia everywhere. I love that dude. Such a passionate player that gave every ounce of effort every Sunday, every down. The Eagles know when to get rid of players right before their time is up but they were wrong about B-Dawk.

Ripped the heart out of our team I think is an over statement. It's not like he destroyed our team by any means. He was a distraction though. He bashed McNabb which a lot of ppl in philly did for hearing that he puked in the superbowl and made drama with his contract. Very selfish indeed but I've always liked T.O. and that didn't change. It would have been nice if things worked out but they didn't. Injuries is what killed us in 2005.

I can't believe I forgot B-Dawk.. I have B-Dawk paraphernalia everywhere. I love that dude. Such a passionate player that gave every ounce of effort every Sunday, every down. The Eagles know when to get rid of players right before their time is up but they were wrong about B-Dawk.

TO is one of your all time favorite players AND you forgot about Dawkins? Fan card officially pulled. :facepalm:

TO is one of your all time favorite players AND you forgot about Dawkins? Fan card officially pulled. :facepalm:

Nobody can pull my fan card son. I forgot, shit happens.

Edited by dutchff7

My favorite:

Ray Lewis: Great LB ever period. 17 years and over 2000 tackles. It speaks for itself.

Barry Sanders: Greatest RB of all time.

Jerry Rice: Greatest WR of all time.

Jon Ogden: Best LT in the last 20 years,maybe ever.

Dan Marino: Greatest Pocket Passer ever.

Who I think are the best:

Barry Sanders

Jerry Rice

Dan Marino

Herb Adderly

Joe Montana

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Jim Brown

Bart Starr

Jerry Rice

Reggie White

Ray Lewis

As for actual favourite players

1. Curtis Martin

2. Rod Smith

3. Trevor Pryce

4. Terrell Davis

5. Champ Bailey

Honorable mentions: Tom Nalen, Brett Favre pre 2004, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Von Miller, Wayne Chrebet

Top 5 all time

1. Barry Sanders

2. Jerry Rice

3. Joe Montana

4. Ray Lewis

5. Bruce Smith

Favorite all time

1. Steve Mcnair

2. CJ

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Barry Sanders

5. Ed Reed

John Lynch

Jack Lambert

Lawrence Taylor

Ronnie Lott

Ray Nitschke

Why? Because they'd all knock the fuck outta you every game.

HM: Jim Brown, Groza, pretty much every defensive player on the '85 Bears.

I'd have Brown in the top 5 if he wasn't such an asshole but oh well. :dry:

One of these days, Razor will come out of the closet and denounce his Broncos fanship for the Packers. I'll be waiting.

kabeer-gbaja-biamila-001240298.jpg

1. Deion Sanders

2. Barry Sanders

3. Derrick Brooks

4. Jerry Rice

5. Reggie White

1.) Barry Sanders: Thanksgiving will never be the same...

2a.) Joe Montana: Greatest QB of all time, and the last Chiefs QB to win a playoff game...

2b.) Priest Holmes: This guy was just flat out great. Between him and Bo, I can't think of another player that injuries hit harder. Holmes was the best in the NFL, and that was while playing in the same division as LT in his prime. Holmes and Vermeil are responsible for my favorite NFL moment: ball on the 1, 3 seconds to go against the FUCKING RAIDERS, Chiefs down by three, and Vermeil says why tie when we have the best redzone back in the game? Hand off, leap over the line, and it's 6. Chiefs win with 0:00 on the clock. I'll never forget that one...

4.) Marcus Allen: A long time Raider, Allen's career would have never had the storybook ending that it did if Al Davis had his way. Allen was basically benched for 2 years of his prime because of papa Al's prickish persona, and he responded by going to the Chiefs and cementing a reputation as one of the best scoring backs in NFL history. If we needed 3 yards to paydirt, it was pretty much guaranteed that Marcus was gonna get them. To top it all off, he went into the HOF as a Kansas City Chief, the ultimate F U AL! How can I not love a guy like that?!?!

5.) Brett Favre—Packer days: I just can't let the last 4-5 :facepalm: years of his career negate the more than a decade of football joy he brought into so many young lives, mine especially. In his prime, there was no one under center that I enjoyed watching more than #4. He used to roast the Chiefs every time they played, but the excitement that Favre played brought to the game was and is unparalleled.

Honorable mention:

Tony G/Derrick Thomas (R.I.P.): Obviously obvious. GO CHIEFS!

Primetime: Just sheer awe factor. There's no more dynamic a playmaker that I have ever seen.

John Randall: A motor that never quit, a mouth that never stopped, and a love for the game that never stalled out. Just a flat out sack machine and a menace for O-lines and QBs for years.

Deacon Jones: This is the only player I'll mention that I never got to see play. 270 plus sacks is the estimate that I've seen if the stat had been invented before he invented it. On top of that I've met the man, and he's just as much of a larger than life, don't give a fuck, tell it like it is guy in real life as he is on camera. He's super proud to be a HOFer, and he seems to prefer regular, real, down-to-earth people to "other types." He's one of the only people I've ever met that I was actually as nervous as I was excited to speak to. There aren't too many people that made me feel good just shaking their hand. Deacon was one of them.

• Upvote 1

Some of my favorites since I've been watching:

Andre-Johnso081711.jpg

Andre Johnson

chris-mcalister_krtphotoslive234711-sports-fbn-rave.jpg

Chris McAlister

deangelo-williams.jpg

DeAngelo Williams

julius-peppers.jpg

Julius Peppers

t_23092_07.jpg

Nate Clements

FrankGore1.jpg

Frank Gore

philip-rivers-chargers_display_image.jpg

Phillip Rivers

big_2010101123523257.jpg

Brian Orakpo

AntonioGates.jpg

Antonio Gates

Rod-Woodson-rejoins-Raiders-as-Assistant-Coach.jpg

Rod Woodson

• Upvote 2

Not that it matters but responding to your neg text comment, who I like is my business. I'm not as judgmental as everyone else, having a strong opinion or dislike towards a person whom I've never met. Negging ppl for who they personally like, their own personal opinion is just plain hating. Not debating or talking facts, or comparing who's better then who, just personal preference of players we like. How you gonna hate on that lol... The day after the fact at that. smh :facepalm:

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Internet rep is srs bzns guise. He did give a reason for negging you.

• Upvote 1

My favorite

Derrick Brooks

Rod Woodson

Warren Sapp

Cadillac Williams :(

Mike Alstott

Internet rep is srs bzns guise. He did give a reason for negging you.

I knew this comment was gonna come up. Cliche and over used comment is cliche. It doesn't matter but I was responding to the neg text comment. I just think that's hating. Everybody is different though. I wouldn't neg someone for claiming they like a player; not relating to the sport, facts itself or debating football; just a personal preference. His hate for T.O is strong and it rubbed off lol; hate spreads.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Downvote 1

Not that it matters but responding to your neg text comment, who I like is my business. I'm not as judgmental as everyone else, having a strong opinion or dislike towards a person whom I've never met. Negging ppl for who they personally like, their own personal opinion is just plain hating. Not debating or talking facts, or comparing who's better then who, just personal preference of players we like. How you gonna hate on that lol... The day after the fact at that. smh :facepalm:

I tried letting it go, but you love of TO and the Giants is just too much for me. How can you call yourself an Eagles fan? Even if you're not an Eagles fan though, regardless of how good TO was, which I can't deny and won't deny, he was still ALWAYS an arrogant douche bag. He put himself before his team and the only reason he calmed down after he left Dallas is because he wasn't an all pro, game changing WR anymore, that and he was going broke. He changed his attitude because he was desperate. Then you go back to the douche move he pulled on the team he was part of the ownership with. Just flat out not showing up to the game? Are you kidding me? The guy is a fucking child but he's what? 38...39 years old. He had his own reality show. He's just an attention whore who is getting everything he ever deserved. He's going to go away. Nobody will care about him. Everybody will have forgotten him in a month. He's penniless and humiliated. Makes me believe karma exists after all. The fact that he's one of your favorite players of all time after all that imo deserves a neg.

I tried letting it go, but you love of TO and the Giants is just too much for me. How can you call yourself an Eagles fan? Even if you're not an Eagles fan though, regardless of how good TO was, which I can't deny and won't deny, he was still ALWAYS an arrogant douche bag. He put himself before his team and the only reason he calmed down after he left Dallas is because he wasn't an all pro, game changing WR anymore, that and he was going broke. He changed his attitude because he was desperate. Then you go back to the douche move he pulled on the team he was part of the ownership with. Just flat out not showing up to the game? Are you kidding me? The guy is a fucking child but he's what? 38...39 years old. He had his own reality show. He's just an attention whore who is getting everything he ever deserved. He's going to go away. Nobody will care about him. Everybody will have forgotten him in a month. He's penniless and humiliated. Makes me believe karma exists after all. The fact that he's one of your favorite players of all time after all that imo deserves a neg.

Plain and simple you're a hater man. I'm not for arguing over the interwebz and shit. I don't hate players because they are on another team. I like players for their game. You put alot of emphasis worrying about who I like you wrote an entire paragraph expressing your hate. SMH Aint that serious. You're talking about his reality show, how broke he is (according to his standards which he still probably has more money the you ) and all that extra shit when he decided to calm down, all I care about is what happens on the field bro. I don't care about the rest and take an interest to ppls personal lives public or not. I respect what he does in the game. That's a lot of haterade you spilled out writing a paragraph of why you don't like somebody getting in depth. I'm just a different breed; I'm not a hater. I either like you or you are neutral if i don't "KNOW" you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I knew this comment was gonna come up. Cliche and over used comment is cliche. It doesn't matter but I was responding to the neg text comment. I just think that's hating. Everybody is different though. I wouldn't neg someone for claiming they like a player; not relating to the sport, facts itself or debating football; just a personal preference. His hate for T.O is strong and it rubbed off lol; hate spreads.

As if the bolded part isn't an even bigger cliche and overused comment lol.

We use rep to express when someone says something we strongly agree/disagree with, or when we think its funny. Or other things.

Don't take it so seriously.

• Upvote 1

As if the bolded part isn't an even bigger cliche and overused comment lol.

We use rep to express when someone says something we strongly agree/disagree with, or when we think its funny. Or other things.

Don't take it so seriously.

Yeah, I know. I just don't see how you can agree or disagree with someone's favorite players. It's who "they" like but enough about this talk and lets get back to the thread.

Yeah, I know. I just don't see how you can agree or disagree with someone's favorite players. It's who "they" like but enough about this talk and lets get back to the thread.

It's not about agree/disagree, it's the idea of an Eagles fan liking Terrell Owens that has sean so incredulous that he used a neg to express his feelings.

And I kinda agree with him. It would be like a Panthers fan liking... Rae Carruth, just what they both did to their respective franchises, obviously, not in terms of talent level.

Changed my list around after reading oochy's post (only using people I have seen):

Favorite Phins:

1. Dan Marino - Childhood hero of almost every Phins fan from my generation, I would imagine.

2. Ronnie Brown - Dude always seemed to be smiling and enjoying himself out there, and he just seems like a good guy. I really wonder what might have been without the injuries.

3. Davone Bess - One of my favorite underdogs ever. In my opinion, one of the best slot receivers in the game, who will never get the appreciation or the numbers he deserves until he is used the way he should be used. He may honestly have to leave Miami to be successful, a la Welker.

4. Zach Thomas - Undersized at his position, yet still remembered as one of the best MLB to play for Miami.

5. Oronde Gadsden - Can't help myself here. When he was on, it seemed he had the receiving window of a two car garage. Plus, he caught the last ever TD pass of #1 up there.

A little trip down memory lane...

Favorite Non-Phins:

1. Barry Sanders - My other hero growing up, and probably the most electrifying player I ever had the privilege to watch. One can only hope his son has the "it" gene.

2. Peyton Manning - I don't think I've seen a QB with more control at the LOS.

3. Warrick Dunn - An underestimated warrior on the field, and a charitable, down to earth guy off of it.

4. Larry Fitzgerald - Only guy to grace the cover of both EA football titles. Crazy reliable hands. I mean, I try to imagine what kind of year he'd have if he had an elite QB tossing it to him.

5. Drew Brees - I just can't help but pull my hair out and rant about how I should be putting him on my favorite Phins list. :facepalm: Damn you, Saban!!!

Edited by Phins4life
  • Upvote 2

It's not about agree/disagree, it's the idea of an Eagles fan liking Terrell Owens that has sean so incredulous that he used a neg to express his feelings.

And I kinda agree with him. It would be like a Panthers fan liking... Rae Carruth, just what they both did to their respective franchises, obviously, not in terms of talent level.

It's not about agree or disagree but you're agreeing with him for disagreeing with who I like :shrug: lol...

It takes a very judgmental person to disapprove of someone else's personal favorite of all time list. I'm just different & don't bother worrying about the reasons why or why not someone else likes or dislikes somebody because that's their own opinion & business. I'm more of a "Do you bro" type of mentality. It's not a debate thread, it's a personal opinion thread; I'm not the dude to throw dirt someone's way for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1