Vin

Saints @ Packers

The Green Bay Packers are seething about a call that cost them a victory in their last game.

The New Orleans Saints have been upset at the league for quite some time but have no one to blame but themselves for their winless start.

Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees each threw three touchdown passes in last year's entertaining season opener between these clubs, but 2011 may feel like a long time ago for teams that have combined for one victory heading into Sunday's matchup at Lambeau Field.

The story of Week 3 became Green Bay's 14-12 loss at Seattle on Monday night on Golden Tate's 24-yard TD catch as time expired. The NFL said Tuesday that the wrong call was made because Tate should have been whistled for offensive pass interference, although it still appeared that Packers safety M.D. Jennings had clear control of the ball in the end zone.

Replacement officials appeared to rule simultaneous possession, giving Tate the touchdown.

The Packers (1-2) were furious with the turn of events, and Rodgers vented on his weekly radio show.

"I just feel bad for the fans," Rodgers said. "They pay good money and the game is being tarnished by an NFL who obviously cares more about saving a little money then having the integrity of the game diminish a little bit."

Coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged the difficult set of circumstances, saying the team returned after the long flight to a scene of protesting Green Bay fans. He also insisted that the Packers are looking forward to using the short week to prepare for the 0-3 Saints.

"We need to stay focused," McCarthy said. "We're not going to get any help. I know this is going to be a story that everybody wants to continue to talk about, and frankly I'm not going to act like it's not there. This is a play that I'm sure we'll see on TV as we move on in our lives. That's the facts of our business, that's the beauty of what Steve Sabol has created, God rest his soul.

"The fact of the matter is we're about New Orleans. We're in tune with staying true to the integrity of the Green Bay Packers, how we conduct ourselves, being professional during a tough time, during a challenge."

Brees and the Saints were critical of the NFL throughout the offseason for the ruling that has caused the season-long suspensions of coach Sean Payton and linebacker Jonathan Vilma, as well as shorter bans to others found culpable in the bounty investigation.

New Orleans, however, is tired of using the suspensions as an excuse. The Saints, who fell 27-24 in overtime last Sunday at home to lowly Kansas City, last started this poorly when they began 0-4 in 2007.

"We're definitely struggling a little bit," guard Jahri Evans said. "Sean Payton is a big part of this team since I've been here, but he's not here now, so that's something we can't dwell on or expect him to walk through the door because it's not going to happen. We have to just go out there and get it done."

Brees is tied for fourth in the league with 904 passing yards, but he's been uneven with seven touchdowns to five interceptions.

The Saints ranked sixth in the league with 132.9 rushing yards per game last season but are down to 92.7 for the 22nd-best mark this year.

"We're definitely still trying to find our rhythm," Brees said. "Unfortunately we haven't been able to put it together on a consistent basis."

These were the league's top scoring teams a year ago, with Green Bay averaging 35.0 points and New Orleans 34.2.

The Saints are still averaging 27.7 per game, but the Packers are down to a mere 19.0. Rodgers has been sacked more than anyone, going down eight times in the first half Monday to bring that season total to 16.

The reigning league MVP had 45 touchdown passes a season ago but has managed three in 2012.

"Clearly the Seattle game was different than the first two as our offense (and) what they were challenged with," McCarthy said. "The first two games, I'd say they challenged us to run the ball. Particularly Monday night we were challenged to throw the ball. We didn't handle that very well."

The Packers won last season's meeting 42-34. Brees threw for 419 yards while Rodgers completed 27 of 35 passes for 312.

The previous meeting between these quarterbacks came before both captured their Super Bowl MVPs. Brees threw for four touchdowns and 323 yards in a 51-29 home win in 2008.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Saints gonna be 0-4.

Edited by Vin

I'll be happy either way with this game. If the Saints lose, they are 0-4. If the Packers lose, the Saints are still only 1-3 and the Packers would be 1-3 and I believe they would completely blow up if they lost this game.

Should be fun.

Not fun at all... Both teams have their backs to the wall. With the way our offense is playing, I wouldn'd be shocked if we lost... And if we lose, the season is practically lost. It sucks, but... You know the Saints are gonna come out and play hard. They have just as much, if not more, to lose than we do...

I know the stats say that 1-3 teams only have like a 14% chance to make the playoffs but you gotta take in our schedule into account.

The way we start this season is a daunting task.

I still think we'll win but only slightly.

I know the stats say that 1-3 teams only have like a 14% chance to make the playoffs but you gotta take in our schedule into account.

The way we start this season is a daunting task.

I still think we'll win but only slightly.

Even if we win.... 35% chance to make the playoffs.

Why 35%? Buddy I went to the Hawks-Packers game is so ticked of at the NFL he's saying he might not watch the game.

Even if we win.... 35% chance to make the playoffs.

I would say that a 2-2 record at this point would be good enough to put the Packers' chances above 35%. As long as they take care of divisional opponents they can win the NFC North fairly easily, especially considering their schedule down the stretch is very favorable, IMO.

Packers last five games:

:Vikings:

:Lions:

@:Bears:

:Titans:

@:Vikings:

Again, it comes down to divisional opponents, but recent history suggests Green Bay won't have too much trouble. Win a majority of the divisional games in this stretch and beat the Titans and you're looking at a 4-1 record in December.

The saints are gonna have to take it up a notch to stand a chance. It could turn into a shootout, but the Saints defense is way more suspect then the Packets at .. this point

Packers are the angriest team in the NFL right now...and with the way Clay Matthews is playing right now I think he will be a dominating factor in determining the consistency of the Saints offense. Saints must win this...or else there season will be...finished.

Our offense has been SO BAD lately though... Granted, we've played some legit defenses weeks 1-3, but... We aren't going anywhere if we have to rely on our defense to carry us (even if they have played well so far)

I know the Packers offense has struggled but the Saints Defense really isn't that good and the Packers Defense looks good this year so i will take the Packers.

Packers-24

Saints-17

Edited by Sacks98

The Saints are not a legit defense, so we should see the Aaron Rodgers of old. The Packers do need to introduce a running game though, even if it just 2 yards up the gut every 3 plays or so. Keeps the defense on their toes.

I want to see more of Rodgers under center handing the ball off to Benson. Green Bay needs to establish a run game to re-open their passing game. The team during Brett Favre's final year really took off as soon as Ryan Grant broke out. We could see a similarity if Benson gets the touches he deserves.

I'm still baffled as to why Ced was a FA for so long. You don't rush for 1000 yards for three straight years and not be good. Green Bay got a steal. They just need to utilize it.

• Upvote 1

This game could still go either way imo. I could see Drew Brees going off but I think it will come down to whose defense makes more plays against potentially explosive offenses and I believe Green Bay wins there.

:Packers: 34

:Saints: 24

Edited by dutchff7

Damn my wish of a Saints miserable season is coming through quite nicely. Keep it going Green Bay.

Packers declared TE D.J. Williams, RB James Starks, CB Davon House, DL Phillip Merling, LB Terrell Manning, WR Jarrett Boykin and DB Sean Richardson inactive for Week 4 versus the Saints.

Williams played nearly 50 percent of the snaps last week. He's not known to be injured, which suggests the Packers plan to use more multi-wide sets and fewer two-tight end looks this week. Starks isn't close to pushing Cedric Benson for playing time. Merling is a candidate for release with Mike Neal due back from suspension later this week.

Saints declared WLB David Hawthorne, RB Chris Ivory, DL Turk McBride, LB Jonathan Casillas, CB Elbert Mack, DL Tyrunn Walker and OT Bryce Harris inactive for Week 4 at Green Bay.

Casillas went down with a neck injury after replacing Hawthorne (hamstring) during last week's game. Career backup Will Herring will start along with veterans Scott Shanle and Curtis Lofton. Ivory is a healthy scratch for the fourth consecutive game.

Attention Packers-Saints-- College Football was yesterday.

I want to know why Green Bay thought it was a good idea to deactivate their best tight end...

can somebody explain to me what just happened here? this is what NFL.com's play by play is showing for the last five plays:

1-10-GB 11(11:24) D.Brees pass incomplete short left to D.Thomas (D.Smith).

2-10-GB 11(11:19) D.Brees pass incomplete short middle to L.Moore (M.Burnett).

3-10-GB 11(11:15) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass short middle to D.Sproles to GB 3 for 8 yards (C.Hayward; C.Matthews).

4-2-GB 3(10:05) D.Sproles to GB 3 for no gain (A.Green).New Orleans Saints

4-2-GB 2(9:43) G.Hartley 20 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Drescher, Holder-C.Daniel.

can somebody explain to me what just happened here? this is what NFL.com's play by play is showing for the last five plays:

1-10-GB 11(11:24) D.Brees pass incomplete short left to D.Thomas (D.Smith).

2-10-GB 11(11:19) D.Brees pass incomplete short middle to L.Moore (M.Burnett).

3-10-GB 11(11:15) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass short middle to D.Sproles to GB 3 for 8 yards (C.Hayward; C.Matthews).

4-2-GB 3(10:05) D.Sproles to GB 3 for no gain (A.Green).New Orleans Saints

4-2-GB 2(9:43) G.Hartley 20 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Drescher, Holder-C.Daniel.

It's obvious, we are cheating.

• Upvote 1

It's obvious, we are cheating.

clearly not cheating well enough :p

the play by play has since changed and now makes a lot more sense, I guess I should be used to it by now with the number of games I follow on NFL.com

Oh my God.. Jeff Triplette might be the worst referee in the history of the referees. :p. He was trying really hard to duplicate the Immaculate Deception. OPI missed on the first TD to Colston. A big 3rd and medium throw to Graham that hits the ground and he traps it against his body called a catch, even after review. And then the Darren Sproles fumble no call towards the end of the game.

I also despise Drew Brees. Hey jackass, you throw 60 times a game and your team is 0 - 4. Get a fucking clue. Have fun breaking the the legendary record of Johnny U with a team that could quite possibly go the entire season with 2-4 total victories.

Complete hack.

With that said, I don't understand why we play so much zone defense. I know we've been moving away from our physical bump and run style in the last couple of years.. but this is getting to be really fucking stupid. Run D was awesome, although it should be when you play a team that you KNOW is going to throw 60 times a game... We need to get better on 3rd downs (defensively)...

And it's becoming a serious problem where defenders are just hitting our WRs away from the ball.. It was Cobb or Jones who just got decked on a play on the opposite side of the field. Bunch of losers on the Saints team as a whole...

Also... I am very happy that Jenkins didn't rip Aaron Rodgers eye out of his god damn socket.

Fuck The Saints. You are not worthy of a single victory this season.

Please eat shit and die.

Yours Truly,

Me.

• Upvote 1

The officiating wasn't great but that's what I expected when I saw that Jeff Triplette was assigned to our game. He's definite the worst crew out of any (regulars).

I'm really hoping the reason our team kinda...well...sucks is that we're playing a lot of good teams. I have been impressed with our defense up until this week, when Capers decides to play zone prevent defense against Drew Brees (cuz that worked so much last year numbnuts) and we could hardly stop them.

Our offense has shown me nothing to be confident in. We put together great drives on occasion but then we look terrible the next. I don't know if we're just playing good teams and they're stopping us or we just aren't executing..there seems to be times out there where we either drop the ball, throw an interception, FUMBLE (HARRELL), or totally miss a block. Not sure what's going on but whatever it is I'm hoping it's fixed after the Houston game (pray we survive it).

Indy next week let's rape Andrew Luck with our pass D and pass rush.

I don't know why Capers insists on running zone defense, all of GB's corners are better in bump and run where they can be physical with the WRs. The middle of the defense is still a huge hole, as whenever Graham or Colston ran a route to the middle, it was an easy reception. I wish House would get healthy as I wanna see him in action, he looked promising in TC.

You have to run some zone to give the QB different looks, but why we kept going to it over and over and over again is beyond me. It wasn't working, do something else.

Also, I was VERY impressed with the offense. The Graham Harrell play was an outlier, and is not gonna happen again hopefully... lmao. And in the 2nd half, Aarons eye ball was practically out of its socket, so.. I forgive that bad throw on the INT.. Playing QB with one eye probably isn't the easiest task.

If only our offense and defense could play well during the same game.