Maverick

Drew Brees: Do you want to see him break it?

Do you want to see Drew Brees be the guy to break Johnny Unitas' record?

I don't. I know he's a fan favorite of the Saints and NFL in general, but I personally don't care for Brees.

I like Brees. Sure, I would like him to break the record. 48 games in a row with a TD pass is impressive.

Yeah, it'd be kind of cool. It's not as impressive as when Johnny U did it though, everyone throws pass TDs now.

Yeah considering a few of these TDs have been in complete garbage time, this is another record Brees is going to break that, while impressive, is not as impressive as when Unitas did it.

Yeah, it'd be kind of cool. It's not as impressive as when Johnny U did it though, everyone throws pass TDs now.

This. Eli just broke one of Unitas' records last year too. The fact that this guy still has pass records that stand in this day in age is truly incredible. To me, after Montana it's Unitas.

Pretty easy to do when you throw 60 to 70 times a game no matter what the score is. Fuck the Saints and Fuck Drew Brees.

• Upvote 1

I'd say no, but I have Brees on my money league team. :ninja:

No, but do we really have a choice. :disgust:

Yeah considering a few of these TDs have been in complete garbage time, this is another record Brees is going to break that, while impressive, is not as impressive as when Unitas did it.

So none of unitas' touchdowns have come in garbage time?

He's still no Johnny U. It's normal for QB's to throw 45-50 times a game now. It wasn't in Johnny U's time.

yeah, these days it seems like some passing record falls every year, I think it's worth noting that Brady is only about 10 games behind Brees, meaning he'll probably pass Unitas by season's end, kinda like last year when both QBs topped Marino's record, it just doesn't have the same impact when somebody breaks the record, kinda like a decade ago when a RB topped the TD mark about every year, at some point it's just not as meaningful

He's still no Johnny U. It's normal for QB's to throw 45-50 times a game now. It wasn't in Johnny U's time.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Brees break the record espcially against the team that gave up on him.

But what Trident says (as well as a bunch of others) is true and I will throw one more thing out there, back in Johnny U's time the DB's were allowed to basically mug the WR's on their routes.

It's a hard feat no matter what the circumstances are. I think guys like Brees are taken for granted. The only reason the league is the way it is and the Saints offense is what it is is because of guys like this. So what if they throw all the time? Defenses know it's coming and still can't keep Brees out of the endzone. The guy deserves the recognition for everything he does.

Edited by BC

Pretty easy to do when you throw 60 to 70 times a game no matter what the score is. Fuck the Saints and Fuck Drew Brees.

This. For the last 2.5 years, Drew Brees and the Saints have been about as one dimensional on offense as you can possibly get. Drew is a great QB, but when defenses know what you are going to do, it gets a lot easier to defend.

I am not saying defenses can stop him, or even slow him down... But it's just not a winning formula to throw THAT MUCH.

The last year that the Saints didn't throw 35x per game or more? 2009 when they went 13 - 3 and beat the Indianapolis Colts in the Super Bowl.

It's impressive, absolutely... But the Saints want Drew Brees to carry them with his arm, throw it 60 times a week, and they are 0 - 4.

Not nearly as impressed as I should be considering the legendary status of this record.

People talk all this about how Johnny U's was more impressive, due to the Saints throwing it all the time, and I guess to a point it is...but you're all ignoring that all defenses expect is Brees to throw the QB. That's all they defend against. And with that said, he still tears it up.

Brees' accomplishment is still extremely impressive, regardless of time, and I doubt I'd take Johnny U over Brees, either.

I'd be more impressed if he had a shitty offensive line. :laugh:

This. For the last 2.5 years, Drew Brees and the Saints have been about as one dimensional on offense as you can possibly get. Drew is a great QB, but when defenses know what you are going to do, it gets a lot easier to defend.

Last year we were 6th in rushing. Doesn't seem too one dimensional to me.

This year we have been playing behind from the get go pretty much and have to throw just to stay in the game.

Last year we were 6th in rushing. Doesn't seem too one dimensional to me.

This year we have been playing behind from the get go pretty much and have to throw just to stay in the game.

You ran well last year on limited attempts, that doesn't mean you ran the ball a lot. The craziest thing about Drew Brees throwing the ball 700 times a year is that you guys actually have RBs capable of pounding the ball. You just choose not to use them...

Misery loves company, and the Lions sure would enjoy another 0 - 16 squad.

You ran well last year on limited attempts, that doesn't mean you ran the ball a lot. The craziest thing about Drew Brees throwing the ball 700 times a year is that you guys actually have RBs capable of pounding the ball. You just choose not to use them...

Misery loves company, and the Lions sure would enjoy another 0 - 16 squad.

Attempts or not, when you run the ball well the defense has to respect it. This year we can't run the ball to save our lives. We miss Carl Nicks more than we are letting ourselves believe.

Attempts or not, when you run the ball well the defense has to respect it. This year we can't run the ball to save our lives. We miss Carl Nicks more than we are letting ourselves believe.

Ya, but imagine how dangerous you guys would have been if you ran the ball more. I give a ton of credit to Darren Sproles, you need to call more runs his way. RIGHT under 7 yards per carry the last 20 games (his time with the Saints).

Ya, but imagine how dangerous you guys would have been if you ran the ball more. I give a ton of credit to Darren Sproles, you need to call more runs his way. RIGHT under 7 yards per carry the last 20 games (his time with the Saints).

I agree, the problem is the run game hasn't worked when we tried it. We didn't even run Sproles in the first 2 games for some reason. We all thought (Saints Fans) that since Carmicheal called all the plays after Payton was injured last year that we would be fine on offense but it seems like we are back to throwing 3 - 1.

Plus we are easy to predict.

Pierre Thomas and Sproles are the only ones you are not sure of what the play is pass or run.

Ingram is in up the gut everytime. Ivory is in run, doesn't matter where they are just going to run.

Cadet, don't know cause he hasn't played enough yet.

We are not a balanced team and our defense sucks. I think we can pull out some victories this year but not many.

Sorry I derailed the thread.

The beauty though about Thomas and Sproles though, as you said is it keeps defenses guessing. And both are still VERY talented runners. Pierre Thomas might be the most underrated guy on your team, and I think he needs to be used more as well.

Ivory, even though he is hurt right now, is also very talented running the football. It doesn't matter that teams know that he is going to get the ball when he is in, because he will just force his will onto defenses. Making it soooo much easier for Drew to do his thing.

All records fall. I couldn't think of a classier guy than Brees to pass it first. More power to him.

• Upvote 2

I would love to see him break it. Oh, oops, I thought you meant his leg.

Sorry, the Falcons fan side of me came out.

Yes though, I wouldn't mind seeing him break it as long as the Saints keep losing. It's always neat to see guys in the current era take down old records. However, one has to wonder how much of an advantage quarterbacks are at in todays age of the game.