Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Vice Presidential Debate

Guest Phailadelphia

I think Ryan got toasted. Especially on the R/R budget specifics and really badly on foreign policy.

Edit: And the R-R budget's lack of specifics continues to annoy the fuck out of me. It's STILL mathematically impossible to achieve what they say they'll achieve and that Ryan is citing op-eds as "studies" is laughable.

Edited by Phailadelphia

More of a question than a comment...because for most of the people outside of America and looking in (like us Aussies over here), shit like this just reinforces the Republican party stereotype:

Are the majority of GOP supporters really that stupid?

Thought the debate was fairly even.

I thought Ryan mostly dominated domestic issues, while Biden dominated the foreign issues.

Ryan wouldn't attack Biden on the fact that Obama hard ordered unprecedented numbers of drone strikes (especially on nations that are not threatening the United States), or that we have billions of dollars and thousands of troops committed to the middle east for more than 10 years. Biden slipped up in regards to Libya, however.

Biden was a lot more aggressive, he had a lot more energy. He made a lot of critical points that Obama didn't but should have. Ryan would be hitting a good point when Biden would interrupt him and inject his own thoughts on the matter, and this is something that did numerous times. He also was laughing uncontrollably all the way through. Something I also don't find all that appealing.

I am sure Republicans will feel that Biden was being a douche while Democrats will laud him for his fiery attitude that they wanted to see out of Obama.

This debate was a tie, IMO. Maybe a slight edge to Biden because he stopped the bleeding caused by Obama... More so than Ryan gashing the wound further.

• Upvote 1

Biden kicked Ryans' ass in this debate.

I especially disagree with Obama-Biden on the economy and especially disagree with Romney-Ryan on foreign policy. Though, I'm not on either of their sides when it comes to most other things also. Needless to say, I won't be voting for either of them.

I watched the first hour of the debate. From what I saw of it, it was pretty equal.

However, I thought VP Biden was completely disrespectful throughout much of it. The constant laughing, mocking, and talking over Ryan.

Edited by Maverick

frankly I'm scared of Romney/Ryan's foreign policy, but I think they're just being more open about it. Obama has pretty much continued Bush's foreign policy.

• Upvote 1

I only saw some of it, but I thought the talking over each other was unprofessional. At least Obama and Romney let each other make their points for the most part.

My favorite part of the debate last night was...

670653873.gif?key=635436&Expires=1350048046&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=WbOx8yphi0ldEyG6s42CIvlza0tpt-3a3Po8KOrkHsVWNISHOCVhzDKcEIBgSQFdHhgaDp6cmGjIjdmSxcUcZP0UB2cFQTxr-DW7Xu~NpywnTlNxtNDK7jQtkwg0thtodNjQ7-xbMYetNboI-rWVkUmLT5yS7nwGSzSqo587Hyg_

Access Denied. Booooo that man.

I never realized how creepy Biden's smile was until last night.

• Upvote 2

"Hey, let's praise Romney for laughing and being completely disrespectful to Obama and the moderator the entire debate! Yeah, he totally won!"

>Biden does the exact same thing and people decide to complain about it. Stay classy, USA.

My thoughts are mostly in tune with what others have said in this thread, so I'll start there and branch out.

I am sure Republicans will feel that Biden was being a douche while Democrats will laud him for his fiery attitude that they wanted to see out of Obama.

This debate was a tie, IMO. Maybe a slight edge to Biden because he stopped the bleeding caused by Obama... More so than Ryan gashing the wound further.

This is my overall feeling as well. Republicans will say that Ryan won and Democrats will say that Biden won. I think ultimately it comes down to what you thought of Biden's demeanor--whether his constant smirking and interjecting was passionate or unprofessional.

Personally, I got frustrated with the ongoing battle of rhetoric and exaggerated statistics. I left the debate feeling more disillusioned with the two-party system than ever, and it makes me think (sadly) that a third-party nominee would dominate these debates if they were allowed to participate.

I thought Ryan mostly dominated domestic issues, while Biden dominated the foreign issues.

I'd say that's a fair assessment if you want to get into specifics.

Likewise. Anybody notice similarities to... :troll:

"Hey, let's praise Romney for laughing and being completely disrespectful to Obama and the moderator the entire debate! Yeah, he totally won!"

>Biden does the exact same thing and people decide to complain about it. Stay classy, USA.

To be fair, Romney was interrupting an ineffective moderator, while Biden was interrupting Ryan while he was trying to make points. Slight difference, though both were rude, I agree.

Speaking of the moderator, lots of props to Martha Raddatz for doing a great job. If the competitive spirit in you insists you declare a winner from last night's discussion, it was her.

Speaking of the moderator, lots of props to Martha Raddatz for doing a great job. If the competitive spirit in you insists you declare a winner from last night's discussion, it was her.

Raddatz wasn't horrible, but she should have stopped Biden continuously interrupting Ryan.

And Romney should not have been as rude as he was. There is no 'being fair' here, to be honest. Romney was consistently rude to the moderator, and Obama (although, politics is a dirty game, and no one plays a dirty game with a clean conscious). I'm not defending the Democrats here; rather, I'm just annoyed that people praise Romney for doing the exact same thing and then do nothing but cry foul when Biden does it.

E: I don't really have a problem with how rude either person was in either debate. I acknowledge how dirty and deceitful politics can be. Also, I don't want to come off as a biased Obama follower. I would be doing the same thing if Obama had won based on being a dick and then Ryan won on the same merits. The point I'm trying to make here is that people support the dickish behavior with Romney (which is weird considering all I've seen the past few months is how Romney is a giant asshole... now those same people are praising him for being an asshole), yet condemn it with Biden.

Edited by Vikingfan465

He might be better suited as a pedophilic ice cream man than a Vice President. :p

And Romney should not have been as rude as he was. There is no 'being fair' here, to be honest. Romney was consistently rude to the moderator, and Obama (although, politics is a dirty game, and no one plays a dirty game with a clean conscious). I'm not defending the Democrats here; rather, I'm just annoyed that people praise Romney for doing the exact same thing and then do nothing but cry foul when Biden does it.

E: I don't really have a problem with how rude either person was in either debate. I acknowledge how dirty and deceitful politics can be. Also, I don't want to come off as a biased Obama follower. I would be doing the same thing if Obama had won based on being a dick and then Ryan won on the same merits. The point I'm trying to make here is that people support the dickish behavior with Romney (which is weird considering all I've seen the past few months is how Romney is a giant asshole... now those same people are praising him for being an asshole), yet condemn it with Biden.

You also have the opposite, which were Democrats screaming at Romney's rudeness during the Presidential debate, and giving Biden a complete pass for it in the VP debate. Just pointing out that's not all on one side here.

And there is a difference between interrupting your opponent in a debate, and talking over a moderator. Both are rude, but interrupting your opponent should not be done at all.

Likewise. Anybody notice similarities to... :troll:

I was thinking more along the lines of...

150px-Joker_0001.jpg

...but I guess both are pretty much the same.

Romney didn't interrupt Obama at all?

Biden interrupted Ryan 82 times, and you can toss on 31 more from the moderator, who was decidedly left-leaning.

Romney interrupted Obama a few times that I recall, but it was nothing like what I was watching last night.

I am not saying that Romney wasn't rude, but it wasn't at all like the absolute dismissiveness that Biden portrayed last night.

Haha. Let's also not act like Obama was a peach the whole time. Romney and Obama BOTH were extremely rude, especially in dealing with Jim Lehrer. It was... Okay, one side was being really rude while the other just grinned and took it. Both men were very unprofessional.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Obama was a bitch to Lehrer and snapped at him, which pissed me off, but Romney was much more disrespectful toward his opponent and interrupted him multiple times. Obama, like JD said, kinda' just took it like a cunthole.