Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Should def. pass interference be a spot foul?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should defensive pass interference be a spot foul?

• Yes. The rule is fine the way it is now.
    • No. It shouldn't be any more than a 15-yard penaty.
    • No. But it should be half the distance for really long plays.

I considered making a multi-poll topic about the most controversial penalty in the NFL, but I think for now this will be a good start to the discussion. Let's hear it, gentlemen.

Obviously should be a spot foul, because if the receiver isn't interfered with, that's where he'd catch the ball.

Not sure how there's any argument for any other way of doing it.

I've never liked the idea that you can just chuck it to the endzone from a mile away, get P.I. called and then have the ball at the one. I think in that instance it should just be a 15 yard penalty. Everything else is fine though, I think.

If it's not a spot foul then every defender will simply tackle receivers on deep routes. Can't make it 15 yards.

• Upvote 2

Should not be a spot foul, because there's no guaranteeing that the offensive player catches the ball.

I understand why some of you defend the rule, but the officials don't call PI very well. Very often it's an unnecessary flag and they've even begun to call it on passes that couldn't be caught. If, as a spot foul, they called it correctly more consistently, then I like the rule.

On another note, I like the endzone rule. Most PIs in the endzone are bailout plays by defensive backs. Leave the endzone foul to one yard line spot rule, but just make PI 15 yards.

I also want to erase the automatic first down from Illegal Contact and Defensive Holding (on receivers). Those rules are fine, but teams should not get first downs on them, not on five yard penalties.

Should not be a spot foul, because there's no guaranteeing that the offensive player catches the ball.

I understand why some of you defend the rule, but the officials don't call PI very well. Very often it's an unnecessary flag and they've even begun to call it on passes that couldn't be caught. If, as a spot foul, they called it correctly more consistently, then I like the rule.

On another note, I like the endzone rule. Most PIs in the endzone are bailout plays by defensive backs. Leave the endzone foul to one yard line spot rule, but just make PI 15 yards.

I also want to erase the automatic first down from Illegal Contact and Defensive Holding (on receivers). Those rules are fine, but teams should not get first downs on them, not on five yard penalties.

Then fix the refs, not the rule.

Changing the part that is fine makes no sense at all.

And there's no guarantee the offensive player catches it, but the defender makes it a guarantee(in most cases) he doesn't catch it, or makes it much more difficult for him to catch.

The catch to drop rate is so drastic in the NFL that "them not catching it" isn't a viable reason.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Catch to drop ratio should not be taken into consideration, because these officials are calling DPI when it isn't there and also when the ball was nowhere near an area where it could have been caught. It should be 15 yards. There should be no spot fouls.

Guest Phailadelphia

If it's not a spot foul then every defender will simply tackle receivers on deep routes. Can't make it 15 yards.

/thread

Is that what happens in college?

• Upvote 1

Catch to drop ratio should not be taken into consideration, because these officials are calling DPI when it isn't there and also when the ball was nowhere near an area where it could have been caught. It should be 15 yards. There should be no spot fouls.

The rule says that if the ball isn't catchable, it isn't PI

Without giving coaches the option to challenge any fucked up DPI call and how shitty and inconsistent the refs are, no I don't think it should be a spot foul.

They could make it so that if it's clearly intentional it could be a spot foul, such as the tackling Trident mentioned, but again, that'd just bring more subjectivity to the game.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Another thing to consider is the NFL wants points, it wants high flying passing offense. The rules are set up that way. Having the 15 yard rule for PI would kill a lot of would be deep plays, as well as make offenses drive further to score points. The league doesn't want that.

Again though, it's the refs, not the rule. :shrug:

The current rule isn't perfect but it's the best and most simple way of dealing with PI.

I've yet to see a suggestion that only adds more variables to the call and as Zack said, more subjectivity.

Pass interference is the one rule I hate the most. It's all at discretion of the ref who calls it or doesnt call it. It's stupid. Some refs let you play, others won't let you breath on the receiver the wrong way.

/thread

Also what CampinWithGoatSampson and .Air said...

Edited by BucD

Spot foul, for sure IMO. Like Trident said, guys would just start tackling WRs if they are gonna get beat. As to the thing SteVo said, the NFL isn't even the same game as college. The stakes are completely different. In college, not committing penalties keeps you on the field. In the pros, keeping guys out of the end zone keeps you getting paid.

As Zack said, a DPI isn't a challengable play. However, if I were going to change anything about the rule, I would include it in plays that can be challenged. It's pretty much a clear-cut thing: if there's indisputable evidence that contact is made before the ball arrives, it's a spot foul. They could actually get these calls right with an even more accurate spot. I feel like that would be the right way to go.

I think they should call PI in tiers, call it intentional and unintentional, I'm not sure exactly how I would define the distinction, but most calls would fall in the unintentional category and go to a 15 yard penalty (or spot, whichever is shorter) and automatic first down while intentional would be a spot foul (or 15 yards, whichever is longer) and automatic first down. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying it because it gives the refs more discretion, but I think that system would best decrease the impact of the bordline calls that go against the defense while preventing the defense from just taking out a player who's clear on a deep route

Edited by oochymp

If it's not a spot foul, chaos would ensue. Only thing I might change is offensive pass interference....

The rule isn't controversial. The rule is perfect, and the best option. The problem is when refs call DEF PASS INT. when it clearly isn't.

Nothing to see here...

Yep.

There's not much they can do about the rule, the refs just need to be more consistent with what they consider DPI. For example, against the Chargers, Mark Barron had gotten beat by Antonio Gates and sprinted back to try to catch up to Gates. The ball was overthrown by Rivers and Barron had never turned around, but he didn't make contact with Gates. The refs didn't call anything. This week, the same exact thing happened with Greg Olson and Barron, but the refs decided to call it DPI this time (FTR, I agree that it should be DPI).

Another problem is calling DPI on passes that clearly wouldn't be caught anyways. Sometimes the refs call it and other times they don't. If the refs were consistent with their calls, all of this wouldn't be a problem.

If your going to make it a 15 yarder, then you need to balance it out by making a PI in the endzone be a TD.

Edited by Bucman

If your going to make it a 15 yarder, then you need to balance it out by making a PI in the endzone be a TD.

That would be terrible. No way in hell should there be any type of penalty that outright awards a team points by rule. Penalties in the endzone for a safety are different, before anyone brings it up, because they are not specific, subjective rules that include the points in their wording.

Then defenses would just tackle a WR in the endzone almost everytime they were beat.