Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Mass Killing in Newtown, Connecticut

A heavily armed man invaded a Newtown, Conn., elementary school today, killing his mother and 26 others, mostly children, federal and state sources tell ABC News.

The gunman, identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, of New Jersey, was killed inside of the school.

In addition to the casualties at the school, a dead body was also found in his home, officials said. Sources said Lanza was armed with four weapons and wearing a bullet-proof vest when he opened fire in the elementary school.

Among the dead was the gunman's mother, found in the school, sources told ABC News.

"The shooter is deceased inside the building," Connecticut State Police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance said at a news conference. "The public is not in danger."

Here is the rest of the story.

Link

Wow just fucking wow.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Also just to throw out some background to this here is the timeline of shootings this year.

The deadly school shooting at a Connecticut elementary school on Friday was the latest in a series of shooting crimes in the United States this year.

Following are some of the worst such incidents in the United States in 2012:

April 2 - A gunman kills seven people and wounds three in a shooting rampage at a Christian college in Oakland.

July 20 - A masked gunman kills 12 people and wounds 58 when he opens fire on moviegoers at a showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, a suburb of Denver, Colorado.

August 5 - A gunman kills six people during Sunday services at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, before he is shot dead by a police officer.

August 24 - Two people are killed and eight wounded in a shooting outside the landmark Empire State Building in New York City at the height of the tourist season.

September 27 - A disgruntled former employee kills five people and takes his own life in a shooting rampage at a Minneapolis sign company from which he had been fired.

October 21 - Three people are killed in a Milwaukee area spa including the estranged wife of the suspected gunman, who then killed himself.

December 14 - A shooter opens fire at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, killing several people including children.

link

This is getting out of hand.

UPDATE: It is ADAM Lanza

A crazed gunman dressed in black went on a rampage at a Connecticut elementary school this morning, in a massacre that left the shooter and 26 dead others - including 18 children.

Adam Lanza, 20, shot his mother dead and targeted her kindergarten class at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., sources sais. Sources also told The Post that Lanza's mother was a teacher at the school and he "had a dispute with her."

Lanza is dead inside the school.

Lanza used two handguns and a .223-caliber assault rifle, an official said. The official also said that New Jersey state police are searching a location in connection with the shootings.

Police in Hoboken, NJ are questioning Lanza's older brother Ryan, 24, but he is not a suspect.

The shooting appeared to be the nation's second-deadliest school shooting, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007, which left 32 people and the gunman dead.

“We were in my art teacher’s room. We heard some gunshots – like 20. Then the police came with guns and told us to close our eyes," said fourth-grader Venesa Bajraliu, 9.

Link

Yeah, this is really terrible. I have no idea what would bring someone to do this. That's gotta be awful for the families.

This is one of those situations where there's absolutely no excuse, no reasoning whatsoever. Children. 18 of them. And the whole trapped in a room with him thing? Oh, this motherfucker better burn in Hell if there is a Hell.

This shit brought tears to my eyes. My god...FUCKING CHILDREN.

Same here.

I have two young boys myself.

I tried taking this story in and I literally almost broke down.

Fuck man...Can't comprehend why this happens and I'm a catholic who strongly believes in God.

This will hopefully make schools all across America, that do not have them, to implement SROs. This could have prevented or had the damage reduced if one was there. Such a shame that it requires tragedies like this to force changes.

Got a notification on my phone as I was walking back from class and teared up as I read the story. By far one of the worst things that have happened in our history as a country. Praying for the victims, their families, and the entire town, and thanking God for my family and my life today. God bless.

Ya.. Have to admit it was a really emotional story to listen to and even watch on the news.

I mean, even after the devastation.. Imagine the police and other first responders. It's been reported that he targeted one classroom and just wiped them out. Imagine being one of those officers walking into that classroom with 20 or so slain students and a handful of staff. The horror... I couldn't have stomached that reality.

So, while I think it is obvious that my sympathies go to those teachers, students, and their families... I also want to make sure those police officers, first responders, and the like get the praise they deserve. Lord knows a lot of them have walked into a crime scene that would haunt me personally for the rest of my life.

• Upvote 1

Rotting in hell is too easy on someone who massacres children.

Took some time to think about this because, well it is pretty hard to stomach. I have seen some atrocities overseas done to children. This is something that you have to take time to digest because it can really destroy your faith in people. This is not only a bad situation because of what he has done and what the parents, teachers, police officers, and really the whole community. I could not however imagine being a child in that school knowing what happened and it may have been a friend of yours that you played on the play ground with, or sat next to at lunch.

What is really going to irritate me about this is all the bleeding heart assholes who are going to paint him as mentally disturbed as if you can absolve him of what he did because he was "sick"

It is also going to irritate me when people forget about this in two weeks when Kim Kardashian has a nipple "slip." I understand life has to go on but people are only going to use these childrens deaths as political soapboxes to push an agenda. This is sad that we are this predictable and most of you know this is what is going to happen.

I want to say Rest in Peace to all the children. I hope that they felt no pain or suffering. WE are all effected when children die because we are robbed of innocence as a society. The potential for that class will never come to fruition, dreams never realized, and hearts and minds gone to waste.

Also I would like to say that our leadership has responded well and I have gave him criticism but he really did say what needed to be said.

Not an easily emotionally moved person by news stories. But I had tears in my eyes. Having a younger brother who's in 2nd grade makes me cringe. I personally left work early to pick him up from school. I asked him how his day was and he said that he felt awful. A few teachers were talking about it after school and he overheard them crying about shooting. He had no idea where it was, but he heard it was another elementary school just like his. Some of these kids understand what's going on slightly, but not entirely.

This is a beyond tragic day in America. Killing innocents...doesn't matter the purpose. It's awful. The amount of anger in me is great, but it just makes me more sad to see what our nation is becoming. Even worse, news networks are talking about motherfucking gun control, instead of paying respects to the lives lost today. I am indeed sick. Very Sad and Sick today for what has happened. My thoughts go out to all the families involved in this. Can't even begin to imagine.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I almost broke down and cried a few times today. This crap really gets me, cannot fucking believe people would do this to children. They may be mean to each other, but they're still young and naive and pretty much innocent. This is, I still don't have words that can adequately explain how awful this is. I just hope there can be some peace for all those families.

I'm beginning to think the brother chickened out. Its not adding up. Why was the most powerful weapon left in the car? His comments after the shooting seem classes. Why is he cussing out CNN and telling everyone to shut the fuck up? His mother was just killed and he shows no remorse for it. Maybe I'm reading into this too much. But if I had a brother who did this and I was accused of it. I would be pissed CNN showed my facebook, but I would be express my feelings for the victims and my dead mother. Also this guy was cuffed and taken into custody, cops usually don't cuff someone that isn't a suspect.

Edited by Gronk'd

I hope there's a place worse than hell for this guy. Fuck him. Coward goes and murders little kids. Lives not even lived yet. Uggghhhh this pisses me off so bad.

I know I'm late to the scene, but this is just so awful. 20 innocent children dead. Wow, I still don't even know what to say.

From what I have seen, the family didn't seem close. The father didn't know about it until 2 hours after it happened, the brother hadn't talked to the shooter in 2 years, the parents were divorced, etc. When you put all those things together and a kid who has mental issues it leads to no good.

I think part of me woke up this morning hoping that this didn't actually happen, that it was just a story, or a nightmare, or something. As those of us who were in the shoutbox at the time will probably never forget (BucD, Socal, ATL...), it was horrifying how it started out as a shooting with no information, then 2-3 dead, and then all of a sudden there's 20 dead kindergartners. This is just something you don't want to believe.

I still can't imagine what would possess a man to do this, and I can't imagine the state of the grieving parents, or the police officers who had to see the bodies of dead children. It's sickening.

Edited by SteVo

I think part of me woke up this morning hoping that this didn't actually happen, that it was just a story, or a nightmare, or something. As those of us who were in the shoutbox at the time will probably never forget (BucD, Socal, ATL...), it was horrifying how it started out as a shooting with no information, then 2-3 dead, and then all of a sudden there's 20 dead kindergartners. This is just something you don't want to believe.

I still can't imagine what would possess a man to do this, and I can't imagine the state of the grieving parents, or the police officers who had to see the bodies of dead children. It's sickening.

Kid had mental issues and didn't seem to have much family stability or anyone to go to for help. That is just asking for a disaster. Something needs to be done with counseling kids or something because this stuff happens way too often.

Kid had mental issues and didn't seem to have much family stability or anyone to go to for help. That is just asking for a disaster. Something needs to be done with counseling kids or something because this stuff happens way too often.

I haven't heard any details regarding the shooter except that he killed himself. And honestly, it's hard to be glued to the TV anymore. We can search for answers but we're not likely to find any.

I haven't heard any details regarding the shooter except that he killed himself. And honestly, it's hard to be glued to the TV anymore. We can search for answers but we're not likely to find any.

I read it online somewhere.

His mom and dad were divorced. His Dad didn't even know about it until the police came to the door. The kid's older brother said he hasn't seen him in a few years. Obviously, he had an issue with his mom. Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that distant family members knew the kid had a problem...