FartWaffles

Greg McElroy to start Week 16 for Jets

Per Rotoworld:

Coach Rex Ryan has reportedly chosen Greg McElroy as his starter versus the Chargers in Week 16.

Several reports had Ryan "leaning toward" McElroy. The New York Daily News now confirms that McElroy will be under center for the first snap. Although Tim Tebow did get an entire offensive series to himself Monday night, the actions of the Jets coaching staff has made it abundantly clear that they don't view him as more than a gadget player and special teamer. One of the options on the table is to split duties between McElroy and Tebow. In which case, neither QB is worth adding except in the deepest of two-quarterback leagues.

Source: Manish Meta on Twitter

I'm not a Tebow supporter by any means, but I do find it sad that the Jets literally only traded for Tebow as a publicity stunt. Hopefully he can possibly get a more realistic chance to start elsewhere next season.

• Upvote 1

He should have been named the starter after the game against Cardinals.

Hmmmm....it took a season to long but hey, they got there. So what if they are the last ones to the party.

I am not sure how good/bad McElroy will be but at lest there is hope. With Sanchez you know you are getting a shitty QB just about every game spelled by an average game every so often.

Ya. I am not so sure McElroy is the answer, but I don't think his floor is as low as Marks is. He has the skill set to be a good game manager.. But with the defense being not as reliable as it usually is (not saying they are horrendous), and without the really dependable running game.. Not sure if the Jets can survive with a game managing type.

Had to make this move.

There's no possible way Rex could have started Sanchez another week.

I don't think McElroy is the future, but they have nothing to lose in giving him a shot. They'll find a new QB in the off-season and as long as he doesn't turn the ball over all the time, the Jets will probably be competing for a playoff spot next season.

Tebow sad.

Tim Tebow reportedly feels "misled" by the Jets after they bypassed him to give the Week 16 starting job to Greg McElroy.

When the Jets traded for him, Tebow was promised that he would get a shot to play if Mark Sanchez was injured and/or ineffective. In fact, it was reported last March that Tebow chose the Jets over the Jags because he saw a clearer path to the starting job in New York. He's not the type to make waves publicly, so expect Tebow to continue to play the "good soldier" role. The Jets' trade for Tebow makes less sense with each passing week.

Source: CBSSports.com

I don't understand why Tebow is listed as the 2nd-stringer if he is, in fact, the 3rd-stringer. Seems unfair to him, and no doubt he feels misled.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand why Tebow is listed as the 2nd-stringer if he is, in fact, the 3rd-stringer. Seems unfair to him, and no doubt he feels misled.

Yeah, and not to mention that we all know that an NFL career is not very long, and the Jets basically wasted a year of his career to make him a New York media sideshow. Just one more reason to hate the Jets... They're such a joke of a franchise that even their own "legend" Joe Namath finds them laughable.

jest.jpg

And another USC QB great has fallen.

Edited by NaTaS

I said it the second they made the deal that Tebow was nothing but a publicity stunt for the Jets. Rex and that organization just couldn't stand nobody talking about them during the offseason.

And another USC QB great has fallen.

Was Sanchez even that great in college?

Tebow had a drive to show something and looked like hot ass. I don't really care if he was "misled"... I bet you that was before he signed there, before he went to camp, before he looked like ass, before he proved to everyone that he really can't play the position.

If you suck ass and aren't fit to play, all promises are off, IMO.

82942867.jpg

Not that I think McElroy will be great or anything but we know what Sanchez is and four years in I don't want to see him anymore. Let's at least give this kid a shot if he sucks, oh well he was a seventh round pick. He can't possibly be the turnover machine Sanchez is can he?

And I don't care if Tebow's feeling are hurt or not. I want to see what we have in McElroy.

Tebow mad.

According to the New York Daily News, Tim Tebow will request to be traded or released after being passed over by Greg McElroy on the depth chart.

NFL Network had previously reported Tebow "could" request a trade or his release. A source tells reporter Manish Mehta Tebow's desire to leave "came to a head" when McElroy was announced as Mark Sanchez's replacement on Tuesday. Tebow's reported feelings are understandable, but it's doubtful he'll draw serious interest as a starter. According to Mehta, the Jets can release Tebow with a "minimal" cap hit if they decide to grant him his walking papers outright instead of trading him. He's currently scheduled to earn $2.6 million in 2013. A Shakespeare or William Faulkner enthusiast might say the Tebow era in New York has been full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Source: New York Daily News

I don't blame him. Despite what everyone has said about him, he went 7-4 in his one season as the main starter and won a playoff game. Thats more than a lot of other qbs can say. He is clearly a weapon that can be very effective if used correctly, and he definitely is better than some of the other qbs starting.

Was Sanchez even that great in college?

he started one year and was pretty good, leading USC to a 12-1 record and a Rose Bowl win, but I wouldn't consider that great

Please god keep him out of Jacksonville. His only place in the NFL is a gadget type player, he should learn to embrace that.

Jets fans are nearly unanimous in their belief that Mark Sanchez is a pathetic excuse for a quarterback whose benching was overdue. But the man Sanchez will replace as the Jets’ starter on Sunday, Greg McElroy, doesn’t see it that way.

McElroy says Sanchez has taught him a great deal about playing quarterback, and that he’ll try to emulate Sanchez this week.

“Everything that I’ve learned at this position in this league has been from Mark,” McElroy said, in comments distributed by the Jets’ PR staff. “He’s the guy that I’ve seen every day. Every day that I’ve been an NFL player, I’ve been looking up to him. I’ve been observing him and trying to follow after his lead. I’ve been watching him. I understand how to play this game because of him.”

McElroy has said that last year’s Jets team had a bunch of selfish guys who didn’t care if they won or lost, but this year McElroy says Sanchez and Tim Tebow have been model teammates.

“I can’t say enough about Mark and Tim,” McElroy said. “Those guys are unselfish and have been nothing but helpful. I talked to Mark [after Jets coach Rex Ryan made the quarterback switch] and he was very encouraging, very helpful, and Tim’s been the same way. I can’t say enough about those guys.”

It’s classy of McElroy to say that. It’s also probably not quite what Jets fans wanted to hear.

Start the Cro...it's your only hope for your last 2 games Jets.

Tebow bad.

According to the New York Post, the Jets were "shocked" at how poorly Tim Tebow played in practices soon after the team traded for him.

A source tells the Post that coach Rex Ryan and OC Tony Sparano "had no idea" how to use Tebow once it became evident that Greg McElroy was improving at a greater rate. The organization was reportedly "frozen with fear" over the Tebowmania factor, concerned that the controversy would wreak havoc with Mark Sanchez's psyche. Sanchez felt no threat, however, once he saw Tebow's errant passes in practices. The Jets bungled every aspect of the Tebow acquisition.

Source: New York Post

The New York Daily News reports Mark Sanchez — and not Tim Tebow — is expected to serve as the Jets' No. 2 quarterback behind Greg McElroy on Sunday.

It's unclear if Tebow will be inactive, but it's doubtful. Nevertheless, it's yet another admission of failure from the Jets with regards to their Tebow experiment. Considering the sorry state of the Jets "offense," it wouldn't be a surprise if all three quarterbacks ended up getting snaps against the Chargers.

Source: New York Daily News