Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Defensive Rookie of the Year

Defensive Rookie of the Year  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the defensive rookie of the year?

• Luke Kuechly
    • LaVonte David
    • Janoris Jenkins
    • Casey Heyward
    • Harrison Smith
    • Bobby Wagner
    • Other

Who do you got for defensive rookie of the year, now that the regular season is done?

I think Kuechly should get it, he has really taken over our defense and made it quite a bit better. Not to mention, he leads the NFL in tackles, something that hasn't been done by a rookie since Patrick Willis did it.

But we had some strong cases made by rookies in this season, and I could see others getting it.

Edited by Thanatos19

Biased opinions aside.

nfl_a_hayward_bl_400.jpg

Qbs with a rating of 30 against his coverage. Didn't give up a TD all year. Really good against the run as well. Didn't get called for a penalty. Easily the best rookie corner, and one of the best corners in all of football.

Casey Heyward had an awesome year as well. If its him or David over Kuechly I'd be fine with that.

I do think Heyward will have an uphill battle to get the award, given that MLBs like David and Kuechly are asked to do more for their defense. Not sure how fair that is to Heyward, but that's just how the positions are in the NFL.

I think it will be one of the defensive backs. Not sure which one, yet.

Hopefully the league gets away from rewarding volume stats in favor of more deserving players, but.. It is probably unlikely.

I can dream! :rock:

I don't see how you can say that Kuechly isn't deserving of it. It's not just the tackles, it's the defensive leadership he brings to the table, and the fact that, as a rookie, he is running Carolina's defense. They were letting him call audibles on defense, (LaVonte as well), as a rookie. That says something.

How much does the ability to call audibles go into voting for the best rookie defender? I dunno... I don't think it necessarily makes him a better player than any of the candidates, but I also don't have a vote.

To be quite honest, I have to say I don't know who Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner are (is Wagner from Seattle?).

However, of the other candidates you listed, I don't see how any are undeserving of the award.

Hmmmm.... This one is tough. As far as rookie of the year, you guys are also leaving out Janoris Jenkins. I was not his biggest fan coming out, but he has been lights out most of the year.

Although between Jenkins, Keuchly, David, and Heyward you really cant go wrong.

I am not saying he is awesome yet but I would also just liek to announce Courtney Upshaw has had a hell of a rookie campaign as well.

To be quite honest, I have to say I don't know who Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner are (is Wagner from Seattle?).

However, of the other candidates you listed, I don't see how any are undeserving of the award.

LaVonte David is Tampa Bay's MLB, he leads the rookies in solo tackles (112 vs 103 for Luke), as well as tackles for loss, (17 vs 12 for Kuechly).

He has fallen off quite a bit in recent weeks, he used to have a huge lead on solo tackles, and an extra nine solo doesn't really make up for the 25 combined tackle advantage Kuechly has on him, (164-139), at least IMO.

Bobby Wagner is on Seattle, he has 140 combined tackles, 86 solo, along with 2 sacks and 3 picks.

Edited by Thanatos19

He's not going to get it but Morris Claiborne's name could have at least been on the list. He played much better than I expected, and was lights out a lot of the year, as well. But the best three rookie DBs have been Heyward, Jenkins, and Smith.

I'd love to think Harrison Smith could get it, but I've seen him get burned and miss tackles often enough that he's got a little way to go.

Heyward has been more consistent than Jenkins, so while Jenkins has that playmaking X-factor, so does Heyward, and Heyward has been more consistent this season. Harrison Smith has been a boon for Minnesota's defense, but I don't think he improved the team as much as linebacker Kuechly or David. Master Luke really came on strong in the last 4 weeks of the season, and David faded from his hot start then... you know what, I think Casey Heyward is a fine choice, most consistent rookie out there, and most impressive for his accomplishments.

I figured I wouldn't see Zach Brown on here but I think he will be on a list for watchout players next year. He played about as good as I had him.

93 total tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 ints, 2 of them pick sixes, and 1 FF. Pretty solid numbers for how bad our defense played. He is one of the few bright spots we had this year.

I don't think he would win it over any of the names mentioned but I wanted to throw his name out there for some news.

For me it has to be Kuechly. He's what McCarthy is for us WHEN healthy, which is never. Hes the type of LB u want on your defense. He is always high motored and always getting to the ball wherever. Hes not a star persay but he is always getting to the ball. This guy I wish we could have on my team, leadership. Toughness, great tackler and doesn't take bad angles. Hes a lock for a tackle when u run his way pretty much.

Second place, I don't know, everyone is blowing up that CB from Green Bay. Must be pretty good, anyone care to lay down some stats on Heyward?

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

More than likely it will go to a ILB. Wagner, Kuechly and LaVonte will be the front-runners. Though Heyward would be equally deserving IMO. But just in terms of recognition, a ILB is always going to get more of the votes.

Casey Hayward deserves to win it but voters will favor a LB, so Kuechly or Wagner will win it. Janoris Jenkins doesn't deserve to be on this list, sure has has some TDs but he has struggled in coverage multiple times.

As for Hayward, 6 picks, 0 TDs allowed, not a single penalty committed, QBs have a rating of 31 when throwing at him. 45% of the passes in his direction were completed for 456 yards.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Jenkins has 4 defensive TDs, 3 pick-6's and a fumble return for a TD, and that's why his name is being mentioned as in the running.

People that have a problem with who's on the list can pick other, I simply put the six guys who seem to be head and shoulders above others.

That's why Claiborne is not on the list, no way on earth should he be ahead of Heyward.

I don't honestly see how anyone could say Kuechly or David isn't deserving. Master Luke led the NFL in tackles, something which Willis is the last one to do that as a rookie. He also was the QB of the defense- and keep in mind he was playing OLB for the first four weeks, and then swapped. He would be way ahead of everyone else had he been playing MLB for the entire season.

David led all rookies in tackles for loss, and wasn't all that far behind Kuechly in total tackles.

Heyward would also be a good choice, but he isn't more deserving than Master Luke. He's a great DB, easily the best rookie DB, but just like on offense, the leader of the team is naturally going to have a harder job- the MLB is, a lot of times, the "QB" of the defense. Adjusting your plays at the line of scrimmage to respond to how the offense is also trying to adjust to you, at the same time, and doing that as a rookie- that's damn impressive.

Any one of those three would be a satisfactory pick, IMO.

Edited by Thanatos19

Kuechly and Wagner have both been great rookie LBs this season but what Hayward has done this season is unheard of from a rookie DB. It is commonly accepted that DB is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to succeed in, yet Hayward has come in and nearly dominated.

I voted for Casey Heyward, but I don't think Lavonte David is not getting enough credit in this thread. First of all, he is not our MLB. That is Mason Foster, who has quietly had a very good year as well. Second of all, David leads all 4-3 LB's in TFL's with 19 and ranks third in the NFL in that category. He already is the best tackler on the Bucs and it is very rare to see him miss a tackle.

Kuechly and Wagner have both been very good too, but David has been just as good, IMO.

David has 17 TFL according to ESPN and NFL.

Kuechly is deserving, but the homer in me still feels Lavonte David deserved more love. I think it had to come down to the 3 LBs.

Luke Kuechly:

Total Tackles - 164

Solo Tackles - 103

Tackles for loss - 11

Sacks - 1

Interceptions - 2

Forced Fumbles - 0

Passes defended - 8

Bobby Wagner:

Total Tackles - 140

Solo Tackles - 86

Tackles for loss - 6

Sacks - 2

Interceptions - 3

Forced Fumbles - 0

Passes defended - 4

Lavonte David:

Total Tackles - 139

Solo Tackles - 112

Tackles for loss - 19

Sacks - 2

Interceptions - 1

Forced Fumbles - 0

Passes defended - 5

Pretty damn close between these three guys. But David had more solo tackles and tackles for loss than the other two. But this was a pretty strong draft with LBs with three damn good players who hopefully play a long time. I'm just being a bit of a homer hoping that David would've gotten some love.