Omerta

How do you feel about your teams cap space ?

Fairly straight forward. How do you feel about your cap space in relation to signing your KEY players ?

I was thinking about this today at work and I got to thinking. We should pay someone to take Micheal Oher. In reality we need to resign Kruger, Flacco (is going to be way more expensive then it should be), and in the next few years Q, Torrey, Leach, Q, Pitta, and so on.

Now letting Oher and Reed walk would not hurt my feelings at all. We will not have to worry about Rays 8 mil cap hit as well as Oher's hopefully, and I think this is Matt Birk's last year. All have young AND cheaper replacements that are more than capable and excited to see.

We MUST reesign Kruger imo and he has said he is looking for around 8 mil a year which means he will probably settl for about 6.5 or 7 which I think is a fair price tbh. Flacco is going to anally fist us and I fear there is fuck all we can do about it.

Now that I have stated mine. What are your worries ? Who do you have to resign? Who can you let walk ? Do you ahve depth behind those leaving ?How do you feel about yoru overall cap space

I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know the Texans don't have much to spend. It's pretty safe to say that they won't be making any huge free agent splashes, so I'd just like them to re-sign internally. The bolded are players I'd like to see back with the team, and the italicized ones are who I think they must re-sign.

Texans Free Agents

P Donnie Jones

K Shayne Graham

FB James Casey

RB Justin Forsett

OT Ryan Harris

S Glover Quin

LB Keyaron Fox

OT Rashad Butler

LB Jesse Nading

CB Alan Ball

OT Andrew Gardner

ILB Tim Dobbins

S Quintin Demps

ILB Bradie James

ILB Barrett Ruud

NT Shaun Cody

CB Stanford Routt

OG Antoine Caldwell

CB Brice McCain

OLB Connor Barwin

What cap space?

Also, I was quite impressed with Bradie James this year, but then again he's always been a solid LB.

Hate it, as per usual. Will that stop us? Hell no.

The Bucs have 30+ million of cap space, we can resign our guys and plus get someone or two from free agency. Sooo purrty good.

Well I'm pretty sure the 49ers have some of the least cap space in the league right now. And if the 2013 estimate of $121mil is right, that would actually put us over the cap, as we are at $121.5mil. However, we have some carryover from previous years which should save us about $1.5mil. Plus, releasing Akers will give us another $3mil. And Brooks didn't reach his escalators, which gives us a $2.5mil credit.

Justin Smith is due a contract extension, and I have no doubt that we will be retaining his services. He just means too much to this defense and team as a whole. Whitner and Goldson are also on contract years. We franchised Goldson last year, so we will either need to sign him to a long term deal or release him, otherwise we have to pay 120% of the tag we paid last year to franchise him again, which would be over $7mil. I wouldn't be surprised if we let him walk. Hopefully we can keep Whitner, but I would expect it to only be a short-term deal.

Goodwin is due $5mil next season, but only $600k of that is guaranteed, so we could save just over $4mil by releasing him. He was rather inconsistent this season, and I believe it will come down to the wire on what happens with his situation. Haralson is due $2.87mil, a bit much for a second string pass rusher. Randy Moss, Ginn Jr, Delanie Walker, Sopoaga and Ricky Jean are all on contract years too. Would be great if we could at least keep Walker and Sopoaga out of that bunch. Both great contributors to this team. Even better if we could keep Ricky Jean too as he is a solid depth player.

Edited by RANGA

I'm happy with our cap situation, we should be able to land at least 2 more starters from FA and add some more depth.

Peyton is currently having dirty sex with our cap. Not down.

Pats have around $20m in cap space.

Re-sign Aqib Talib (doubtful that'll happen), Donald Thomas, Julian Edelman, Sebastian Vollmer, and Tracy White.

RFAs Dane Fletcher and Hooman should also be brought back.

Let Chung, Welker, Branch, and Woodhead walk.

I'm feeling pretty good about the Bucs cap space.

If we release Quincy Black and Eric Wright, we'll have even more money to work with.

The main guy I want the Bucs to bring back is Michael Bennett. We'll end up overpaying for him, but we have money to spend and he is a good, complete DE who is still pretty young.

For Free Agency, I want us to pick up at least 1 quality starting CB, a slot receiver, a DE or DT, and add some quality depth.

I think we only have like $6 million in space. But Saturday's retirement will knock a few million off the books. And a retirement or restructure from Woodson could save many millions. AJ Hawk is due $5 M, Tramon Williams $6 M, and J-Mike $8 M. All could or should be wiped off the face of the team. I can only hope.

:puke:

Panthers are looking terrible for cap space. Need to cut a few players that I am not going to like cutting, just so we have room to get some new guys in and keep the others. Unless the players rework their contracts, the Panthers are in some serious trouble thanks to Marty Hurney.

When I look at our situation...

tumblr_ls53bc8MFO1qlrzy2.gif

that+s+it.+we+re+all+fucked+_a95e69b0a63c00ceb3c519882944fb15.gif

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 2

Well I'm pretty sure the 49ers have some of the least cap space in the league right now. And if the 2013 estimate of $121mil is right, that would actually put us over the cap, as we are at $121.5mil. However, we have some carryover from previous years which should save us about $1.5mil. Plus, releasing Akers will give us another $3mil. And Brooks didn't reach his escalators, which gives us a $2.5mil credit.

Justin Smith is due a contract extension, and I have no doubt that we will be retaining his services. He just means too much to this defense and team as a whole. Whitner and Goldson are also on contract years. We franchised Goldson last year, so we will either need to sign him to a long term deal or release him, otherwise we have to pay 120% of the tag we paid last year to franchise him again, which would be over $7mil. I wouldn't be surprised if we let him walk. Hopefully we can keep Whitner, but I would expect it to only be a short-term deal.

Goodwin is due $5mil next season, but only $600k of that is guaranteed, so we could save just over $4mil by releasing him. He was rather inconsistent this season, and I believe it will come down to the wire on what happens with his situation. Haralson is due $2.87mil, a bit much for a second string pass rusher. Randy Moss, Ginn Jr, Delanie Walker, Sopoaga and Ricky Jean are all on contract years too. Would be great if we could at least keep Walker and Sopoaga out of that bunch. Both great contributors to this team. Even better if we could keep Ricky Jean too as he is a solid depth player.

I was a little iffy on Goldson but now I think it would be wise to pay the man.

I was a little iffy on Goldson but now I think it would be wise to pay the man.

Yeah if we could get him for about $5-6mil a year, definitely. But if he wants some crazy contract then :shrug:

I'm feeling kind of iranmaybe.png

Not bad. 22 mill or so. 5th or 6th most cap space. But Gene locked us up in a few bad contracts. Paying Henne way too much (More than Gabbert, and I like neither as QBs.) Poz is overpaid. Landry is overpaid (though I like both Poz and Landry as players, they're just overpaid.) Laurent Robinson is overpaid, and likely might retire all together from football due to four concussions in four months (which actually would help the Jags cap situation, I think, not sure how that all works if anyone knows any better let me know.) Aaron Ross is overpaid.

But the good news is we don't really have that many guys to resign, simply because most of them just aren't very good or worth resigning. The only guys I'd like them to resign are Derek Cox (big physical corner, who fits Bradley's system perfectly), and Daryl Smith (best LB on the Jags, though he's getting up there age wise.)

I'd give a look and think about John Chick (who is probably the Jags best pass rusher behind Jason Babin, and was hurt all last year.) As well as Greg Jones (who's possibly the best blocking FB in the league, though insanely overpaid.) I think the smartest thing however would be to let Greg Jones walk, even though I LOVE Greg Jones. He's just way overpaid for a FB. Best case scenario is to let him test Free Agency, see the low demand for FBs, then take a semi-pay cut with the Jags to finish his career there. I want Greg Jones back, just not for more money than he already makes, not even the same amount of money.

As far as the Jags ability to sign free agents. I doubt they make any big splash at all, despite decent cap space. I see them possibly signing a RT (hopefully Sebastian Vollmer of the Pats, although the Pats have more than enough cash to resign him and NE is obviously a better draw than JAX.) I can see them also going after a CB too, possibly Sean Smith due to his size, since Bradley likes the big physical corners. Though I'm not a huge Sean Smith fan, as he gets beat too often for my taste. Also possibly a backup RB, although Montell Owens showed he can be a solid option as a backup. They need Montell on special teams where he shines (made Pro Bowl a couple times as a ST guy.)

It's critical the Jags clean up in the draft, as I don't think they'll be players in free agency.

Um... Is this something you guys worry about really? It seems like teams sign whomever they can and manage the cap just fine no matter how much they supposedly have. I can't remember how many time in the first 6-8 years of last decade, I said "how can the Redskins afford another giant contract with their cap space?" only to see them sign an aging vet to a too big contract only to have to take a hit on him when they have to cut or trade him.

Yea, I realize that people are probably saying that about the Eagles now but I just don't see why this worries anyone. Teams will be fine and sign whoever they want and what not I'm sure.

Um... Is this something you guys worry about really? It seems like teams sign whomever they can and manage the cap just fine no matter how much they supposedly have. I can't remember how many time in the first 6-8 years of last decade, I said "how can the Redskins afford another giant contract with their cap space?" only to see them sign an aging vet to a too big contract only to have to take a hit on him when they have to cut or trade him.

Yea, I realize that people are probably saying that about the Eagles now but I just don't see why this worries anyone. Teams will be fine and sign whoever they want and what not I'm sure.

Absolutely because I have seen the cap take some of our best players because our cap was not where others was. Granted wee have more talent then a lot of teams, but that just makes the cap that much more important. I think our line is much better through the season if we have the money to sign resign Ben Grubbs instead of having to let him walk to NO. Also Jarret Johnson I think was one of the most underrated guys in the league when he played with Baltimore. Nobody set an edge better than JJ and i would love to have him for this SB facing the pistol.

Teams like the Redskins don't have to worry about the cap because they suck anyway (well up until recently) They could throw money at big guys because they had no way to develop talent on their team and they were just grasping at straws. Teams who do a good job of developing their own talent have a real problem because you have ot pay your stars that you drafted.

Teams like the Redskins don't have to worry about the cap because they suck anyway (well up until recently) They could throw money at big guys because they had no way to develop talent on their team and they were just grasping at straws. Teams who do a good job of developing their own talent have a real problem because you have ot pay your stars that you drafted.

I think that's only partly true. You also have to know when its time to let them go and be old and overpaid somewhere else. I dunno. The cap seems to be not much of a hinderence to me, as long as you continue to draft well and develop players :shrug: .

I think that's only partly true. You also have to know when its time to let them go and be old and overpaid somewhere else. I dunno. The cap seems to be not much of a hinderence to me, as long as you continue to draft well and develop players :shrug: .

After those players you drafted develop and play well, their next contract is going to raise substantially based off good production. It really boils down to how good of a deal the teams get with their star players; bang for their buck. That's why the Eagles cap space is always in a good place. They sign their star players for good deals. You look at the Jets situation with Revis. That would have NEVER happened with the Eagles because the Eagles wouldn't let a player dictate any circumstance or situation. They wouldn't have caved in because a player is holding out. The Eagles stick to their guns. Our organization has a special connection/relationship with our players and are willing to take less to be apart of our organization (even though we suck atm). Nnamdi said he is willing to take a pay cut because he doesn't want to play anywhere else. We got McCoy for like 48M and no doubt another team would be willing to pay more then that. Desean is like 45M and he could have probably squeezed a little more out of another team. Yeah Vicks contract is 100m but we were able to do that because of the good bargains we got with our other star players(he's going to get cut or take a huge pay cut anyway). Teams that have cap issues don't have good front offices. It's more then just managing numbers. It's being able to manage people as well.

What cap space?

In reality tho once we cut the entire defense and start over on that side we should be fine.

The Bucs have a ton of it even after signing V-Jax and Nicks to big deals last year. Eric Wright is going to end up being cut too, so even more space there.

As far as our own FAs, Michael Bennett is the only one I'm concerned with re-signing.