Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Update: Ravens, Flacco come to agreement on new deal

ESPN's John Clayton and Chris Mortensen believe impending free agent Joe Flacco could command over $20 million per season in his new contract.

"He's now made a case for $20 million a year," Clayton said on SportsCenter Monday. "And I think he's gonna try to hold to that. Last season what I was hearing was he was asking for about $17 million. ... (We'll) see if he can get over Drew Brees' contract. I think he can." Mortensen agrees that an annual $20 million is "not unreachable" for the Ravens' quarterback. It would be a ludicrous sum of money for a player with Flacco's solid but unspectacular regular-season résumé, but his dominating postseason and barren state of the QB position around the league have left him with leverage to spare. If Flacco is intent on playing $20 million hardball, the Ravens may opt to slap him with the $14.642 million franchise tag.

Even 17 million is too much. Clayton and Mortensen pls.

Edited by BLUE

AN ELITE QB FOR SURE.

Pay the man, Baltimore.

20 million per? I agree he has kind of played his way into forcing Baltimore to give him a HUGE deal. but... 20 per? That is scary. Especially with guys like Matt Birk, Ray Lewis, and probably Ed Reed leaving... I'd be worried a little.

lol....Bitches please. 20 mil and that mofo can walk. I will take Tyrod Taylor and cap space out the ass over tying up 20 million on a QB who is only above average in the regular season. Granted the dude is a fire breathing dragon who eats lightning and craps thunder in the playoffs, but come the fuck on. Flacco is not Drew Brees.

If we let him go and become 4-12 which is right about where we would be looking....johnny Football is going to be a Raven lol.

$20 mil for Joe Flacco? LOL, that's more money than Drew Brees is making. Good luck finding a team that will pay you that, Joe.

I don't see Flacco getting more than like 14 mil per, for just about any team. A team like the Chiefs or the Cardinals might be inclined to give him 16+ though... 20 mil is too high, but if he could hit the open market he could be in for a big payday but he'll get franchised at least.

Well what is Baltimore going to do instead? Flacco holds leverage, and even moreso depending on what happens in the SB. There's no solution if the Ravens even thought of letting Flacco walk.

MY leverage against Flacco is I don't give a shit if you leave... Even if he does win a Super Bowl. Pay the man, but don't overpay the man.

Flacco holds the cards because the Ravens have no alternative but 20 million is too much imo. Maybe around 15-16 million. In the same token, do you think Flacco wants to leave a team that he just got to the superbowl with? No, he doesn't. When Jim Caldwell came to town, the Ravens offense became much more consistent. Flacco loves his situation with his team and may get the more money somewhere else but possibly not the same success in a new system. The Ravens need to stick to their guns; pay the man, but don't let him dictate an outrageous contract. Flacco aint going no where.

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported on Total Access Monday night that Joe Flacco intends to target more money than Peyton Manning in contract talks with the Ravens.

Per Rapoport, Flacco and the Ravens will resume negotiations immediately after the Super Bowl. "I'm told his camp believes he is playing better than Peyton Manning," Rapoport reported. "Manning makes ($19.2M) a year; expect them to shoot higher than that." The $20 million-per-year figure is clearly Flacco's goal. The Ravens ought to be kicking themselves for not locking up Flacco when his asking price was more reasonable late last offseason. Jan 28 - 7:48 PM

If the rumors are true ( I doubt it) and he wants 20 mil then let him walk. Under no circumstances can I justify 20 mil. He is not worth that and to be honest unless your name is Aaron rodgers nobody is.

I would much rather have to go back to the drawing board then pay some dumbass outrageous figure.

That said, people were saying Ray Rice was looking for AP money and ended up taking significantly less.

LMAO. Because he had a better play off run than Peyton and beat Peyton, he should get more then Peyton lol. The Ravens better hold onto their balls and stick to their guns. He's not going to leave the team he just went to the Superbowl with. That's his comfort zone and he will settle for something around 15-17 Million. Flacco aint going no where.

You know I'm always on my conspiracy "what if" scenarios. If he did walk...

:Cardinals: I could see the Cardinals being a nice fit. Defense is nice and having a more then capable QB throwing Fitzgerald the ball is problems.

:Vikings: Flacco aint never had a running game like this :troll: This could push the Vikings to another level imo especially if they pick up a good WR in the draft to compliment Percy Harvin and the rising star Kyle Rudolph.

Edited by dutchff7

I don't see Ozzie overpaying for him. Ozzie's motto for years has been right player right price.

I'm on board with the majority in this thread: $20 million per year is way too much. I think I'd be comfortable paying him about $15M, maybe 16-17 if the alternative was him leaving and having no quarterback, but he does not deserve to make more money than Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. Sorry Joe.

Tag him and let a non Super Bowl season occur. He'll have to come back down.

well, he did beat Manning and Brady in the playoffs, so clearly that means he deserves to get paid better than both, right? :troll:

Tag him and let a non Super Bowl season occur. He'll have to come back down.

I highly doubt he'd go to training camp if he gets the tag. I know they've made it harder for guys to holdout, but he pretty much really has all the leverage right now.

I doubt he's seriously gonna ask and get 20 mill a year, these guys always start out big when doing negotiations and end up compromising.

But if he wins SB MVP, and has himself a good game... Then I could see it happening.

Speaking about Joe Flacco's contract situation Tuesday, GM Ozzie Newsome guaranteed he'll be a Raven in 2013.

"We'll be able to get that thing done," Newsome said. "(He'll) be playing football for us next year. And sometimes that's all you can look forward to is just next year." Newsome strongly hinted that the Ravens will franchise tag Flacco before free agency, and then work toward a long-term agreement before the July deadline. According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, an average annual value of $20 million is Flacco's "magic number." For what it's worth, Newsome says the sides have a "good understanding" of where the other stands.

Source: CBSSports.com

I'm going to look at this from a Ravens perspective. I wouldn't be comfortable giving Flacco $20 Million. I wouldn't be comfortable at all to give him Drew Brees money. If the Ravens win the Superbowl one more thing has to happen for Flacco to be in the driving seat here, he has to perform well in that win. No matter the outcome, Flacco has to have an efficient passing game to be in the driving seat during negotiations. If that happens, I still think that the Ravens would be pushing their luck paying him that much money. He might be money in the playoffs, but the biggest thing about being good in the playoffs is that you have to get there first.

Let's say that in the future, the Ravens don't have the defense that they've had so far in his career. Do you guys really think that Flacco can put the team on his back for the duration of a season and lead his team into the playoffs with the way he has played? I don't. I think that even if he does win the Superbowl, unless he settles for the 14-16 range, he's not going to get the contract this year. The Ravens should slap Flacco with the franchise tag and see what he can do next season. If he doesn't perform, and the Ravens don't make the playoffs then you're back in the driving seat. No hard feelings, just business - right? Now, if he performs as well next year as he has in the playoffs this year there isn't really any loss. I don't think there is any way he could ask for more than $20 million so either way you are going to at the very least hold ground with the franchise tag.

Let's not forget Flacco is the guy who completed 4 passes for 30 some odd yards in a playoff win a year or two ago. Flacco isn't that spectacular. Everyone knows I'm a pretty big skeptic on Matt Ryan, but he stepped his game up and the Falcons folded around him as well as himself folding. Flacco has been a named a successful quarterback on the heels of one of the best defenses in the league since he was drafted, and I think the Ravens know this. This is why Flacco has GOT to perform spectacular in the Superbowl and win the game. That's all there is to it for him.

does anyone know the Ravens' cap situation? if they have room to give him $20 mil this year, why not? there isn't a better option in free agency and the QB draft class sucks

It's not a question of if they are going to resign him or not. They will, and it will get done. It's a matter of how much and when. The point of not paying him $20 Mil this year would simply be to barter him down into a reasonable range. He can only ask for as much as his performance demands.

I'm going to look at this from a Ravens perspective. I wouldn't be comfortable giving Flacco $20 Million. I wouldn't be comfortable at all to give him Drew Brees money. If the Ravens win the Superbowl one more thing has to happen for Flacco to be in the driving seat here, he has to perform well in that win. No matter the outcome, Flacco has to have an efficient passing game to be in the driving seat during negotiations. If that happens, I still think that the Ravens would be pushing their luck paying him that much money. He might be money in the playoffs, but the biggest thing about being good in the playoffs is that you have to get there first.

Let's say that in the future, the Ravens don't have the defense that they've had so far in his career. Do you guys really think that Flacco can put the team on his back for the duration of a season and lead his team into the playoffs with the way he has played? I don't. I think that even if he does win the Superbowl, unless he settles for the 14-16 range, he's not going to get the contract this year. The Ravens should slap Flacco with the franchise tag and see what he can do next season. If he doesn't perform, and the Ravens don't make the playoffs then you're back in the driving seat. No hard feelings, just business - right? Now, if he performs as well next year as he has in the playoffs this year there isn't really any loss. I don't think there is any way he could ask for more than $20 million so either way you are going to at the very least hold ground with the franchise tag.

Let's not forget Flacco is the guy who completed 4 passes for 30 some odd yards in a playoff win a year or two ago. Flacco isn't that spectacular. Everyone knows I'm a pretty big skeptic on Matt Ryan, but he stepped his game up and the Falcons folded around him as well as himself folding. Flacco has been a named a successful quarterback on the heels of one of the best defenses in the league since he was drafted, and I think the Ravens know this. This is why Flacco has GOT to perform spectacular in the Superbowl and win the game. That's all there is to it for him.

Do the Ravens really have a choice though?

Flacco's a borderline top 10 QB, and there aren't too many QBs that fall in that category. Even if he doesn't have a great game (I don't think he's getting 20 mill a year regardless), what choice do the Ravens really have?

Unless if he completely wets the bed in the SB, he's got all the firepower right now. Even if they tag him, and next season he continues to be inconsistent, but the Ravens have another run at the playoffs, he's still gonna have all the firepower.

does anyone know the Ravens' cap situation? if they have room to give him $20 mil this year, why not? there isn't a better option in free agency and the QB draft class sucks

At this time, media reports indicate that the 2013 Salary Cap is expected to be in the $120.9M range.

With 42 players currently under contract for 2013, the Ravens have a present Salary Cap commitment of just under $110M. That number does not include the tenders the team will offer in early March to his Restricted Free Agents (RFAs) and Exclusive Rights Free Agents (ERFAs).

http://russellstreetreport.com/salary-cap-notes-graham-and-oher-cash-in/

There's Spotrac.com, and it helped me figure out the Lions cap situation for next year... But doing more then one team gave me a bad case of math anxiety the one time I tried it.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

It's not a question of if they are going to resign him or not. They will, and it will get done. It's a matter of how much and when. The point of not paying him $20 Mil this year would simply be to barter him down into a reasonable range. He can only ask for as much as his performance demands.

As much as people want to believe this, or say it, it's far from the truth when it applies to the QB position.

More times then not, QBs are going to get overpaid, just like "reaching" for a QB in the draft. And more times then not due to inflation, it's gonna be more and more.

Let's say that in the future, the Ravens don't have the defense that they've had so far in his career. Do you guys really think that Flacco can put the team on his back for the duration of a season and lead his team into the playoffs with the way he has played? I don't.

Let's not forget Flacco is the guy who completed 4 passes for 30 some odd yards in a playoff win a year or two ago. Flacco isn't that spectacular. Everyone knows I'm a pretty big skeptic on Matt Ryan, but he stepped his game up and the Falcons folded around him as well as himself folding. Flacco has been a named a successful quarterback on the heels of one of the best defenses in the league since he was drafted, and I think the Ravens know this.

I think you are putting too much faith in our defense. They have been absolutely disgusting this year. They are not top 10 or top 15 and most of the year we were hovering around the 30th ranked defense. So yes I would say he put the team on his back this year as well as our running game which also took a dip.

He completed 4 passes because Ray Rice and our other RB's decided to have the game of their lives against a shitty Patriots run defense. It was a 33-17 game if I remember and RR had 2 TD's himself as well as another RB scoring and ST kicking ass. I can not blame Flacco for the coaches going with what is working when Ray Rice was going ape shit.

The difference between Flacco and Ryan is they hit their stride at opposite times. Ryan is great in the regular season. Flacco is great in the post season. This is not to open up the Flacco/Ryan debate because it gets old and the same points are always brought up to defend the dudes.

Another thing of note, I do not think it is coincidence that Cam Cameron gets the Ax and we start putting up points. I think that he is going to take a leap this next year without that fucking waste of a sperm calling the shots.

All of that in consideration...20 mil....FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! If he gets over 17 we got jobbed. I would tag his ass. If he decides not to show up his value drops tremendously as well as the money he would be losing by missing games. If he shows up great. That either gives him the opportunity to actually earn the contract he thinks he is worth or to bring his ass back to reality.