DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Franchises with/without franchise QBs

I define them as QBs capable of realistically leading you to a championship without an extraordinary group of guys around him.

AFC East

1. New England: Yes.

2. Miami: Maybe, too early to tell.

3. Buffalo: No.

4. Jets: No.

AFC North

Baltimore: Yes. Debatable.

Cincinnati: No.

Pittsburgh: Yes.

Cleveland: Too early to tell, leaning towards no.

AFC South

Houston: No.

Indy: Maybe. Leaning towards yes, but too early.

Tennessee: Don't know. Leaning toward no. Too early to tell either way.

Jacksonville: No.

AFC West

Denver: Yes, but for how long?

San Diego: Yes. Debatable.

KC: No.

Oakland: No.

NFC East

Washington: Maybe. Leaning towards yes depending on health.

Giants: Yes.

Cowboys: No. Debatable.

Eagles: No.

NFC North

Packers: Yes

Vikings: No

Lions: Maybe, leaning toward yes depending on health.

Bears: No.

NFC South

Falcons: Yes. Debatable.

Saints: Yes

Bucs: Maybe, leaning towards no, too inconsistent to tell at this point.

Panthers: Yes

NFC West

49ers: Don't know yet

Seahawks: ^

Rams: Not at this point

Cardinals: No.

I think you nailed it, DMac. This will inevitably spark a debate about Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, etc., but based on your definition of a franchise QB as a guy "capable of realistically leading you to a championship without an extraordinary group of guys around him," I agree with your picks.

It depends on your definition of a franchise QB, by my definition I'd narrow that list down big time to like just Green Bay, Denver, New England, etc.

But by what you seem to go off, your list looks good. My only disagreement is a firm no for Andy Dalton but you are on the fence for some QBs like Weeden, Freeman, etc.

I define them as QBs capable of realistically leading you to a championship without an extraordinary group of guys around him.

AFC East

AFC North

AFC South

AFC West

NFC East

NFC North

NFC South

NFC West

Joel, why did you put Baltimore down as "Yes-Debatable", when Flacco just lead the Ravens to the Super Bowl and was a big reason why they won it last season? :shrug:

If they can win you a super bowl, They're a franchise QB IMO.

So Denver doesn't have a franchise QB.

• Upvote 1

If they can win you a super bowl, They're a franchise QB IMO.

So Denver doesn't have a franchise QB.

Has Peyton Manning not won a Super Bowl before? :facepalm:

If I threw 3 TD's and 7 INTs on my super bowl run, i'd be pretty damn happy, but I wouldn't be a franchise QB.

And if Manning lost to Grossman...

Not sure how Flacco is debatable by the criteria. He DID lead a franchise to the SB without an extraordinary group. The only top 10 player he had at any skill position was Ray Rice, who per the usual disappeared in the playoffs. The only other guy who is top 10 at his position is Marshall Yanda. Looking at the rest of the teams, Flacco had less to work with than any AFC team except MAYBE the colts to be honest.

And lets not get started on his defense.

• Upvote 1

My definition of a franchise quarterback is stricter than most.

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Peyton Manning

That's it. There are some guys with potential to be there...

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Russell Wilson

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Cam Newton

Matt Stafford

Colin Kaepernick

The rest are either game managers or talented quarterbacks that for whatever reason just haven't reached their full potential or at least what they could be capable of.

How many "extraordinary" teams are there, really, in this Super Bowl era? I look back to the Rams and Ravens Super Bowl victories from the turn of the millenium, in which case one team had an extraordinary offense and the other an extraordinary defense. Rarely do we see teams that are downright excellent on both sides of the ball. The most solid O and D team to last win a Super Bowl would probably be the Steelers team that beat Arizona. Otherwise, it took incredible individual runs that carried teams.

Edited by BwareDWare94

How many "extraordinary" teams are there, really, in this Super Bowl era? I look back to the Rams and Ravens Super Bowl victories from the turn of the millenium, in which case one team had an extraordinary offense and the other an extraordinary defense. Rarely do we see teams that are downright excellent on both sides of the ball. The most solid O and D team to last win a Super Bowl would probably be the Steelers team that beat Arizona. Otherwise, it took incredible individual runs that carried teams.

I'll admit extraordinary is an exaggeration. But having a team around you that isn't the most talented, and still coming up big is more what I was referring to.

I'd say a franchise qb is one that you can say "barring something out of the ordinary, I know that we long as I have him I will be a solid contender."

• Upvote 2

How in the world is Joe Flacco being a franchise QB debatable? You are confusing franchise QB with "elite" QB. You don't have to be an "elite" QB to be a franchise QB. That's just ridiculous. He made all the plays he needed to make to help his team win the superbowl. Granted, his WRs went ape shit, he went 11tds-0ints and made the plays. Can't ask for more then that from your QB. So if Flacco is your QB, just performed the way he did in the play offs, won the superbowl, on his contract year, you're telling me that he isn't your franchise QB? C'mon now. Obviously you can win with this guy and he's far from a Trent Dilfer comparison who was clearly horrible and got carried by his defense. I wouldn't have paid Flacco as much as but he'd definitely be our guy. He's not elite but after putting up the play off performance he just did, won the superbowl, he's definitely a franchise QB that you build around. Debatable...:facepalm:

• Upvote 1

AFC East

2. Miami: Flip a coin. Could really go either way IMO.

AFC North

Baltimore: Yes.

Cincinnati: No. AJ Green has carried him from day 1.

Cleveland: No.

AFC South

Houston: Yes.

Indy: More than likely.

Tennessee: No.

AFC West

Denver: Yes.

San Diego: I feel like he's regressing, so no.

KC: Flip another coin. I'd lean towards yes.

NFC East

Washington: Based on talent, yes. Can he stay healthy?

Cowboys: Yes.

NFC North

Packers: Yes.

Vikings: No.

Lions: I feel like Megatron carries him, so no.

NFC South

Falcons: Yes.

Saints: Yes.

Bucs: No.

Panthers: Yes. Not a good team around him at all.

NFC West

49ers: Too early to tell, but probably.

Rams: Bradford kinda sucks.

Cardinals: lol.

Edited by Sarge

My decisions.

AFC East

2. Miami: No

3. Buffalo: Yes. If Tavaris Jackson isn't a franchise qb, I don't know who is.

AFC North

Baltimore: No

Cleveland: No.

AFC South

Houston: No

Indy: Yes

Tennessee: No.

AFC West

Denver: Yes but not for long.

San Diego: No

KC: No

NFC East

Washington: Yes

Giants: No

Cowboys: No

NFC North

Packers: Yes.

Vikings: No.

Lions: No

NFC South

Falcons: Yes.

Saints: Yes.

Bucs: No.

Panthers: Probably not, but still possible.

NFC West

49ers: Yes

Seahawks: Yes

Rams: No

Cardinals: No

I think it really depends on how you define the term "franchise QB". For me, it boils down to a situation where the game is on the line. Who do you give the ball to and trust to make the decisions out there on the field to drive your team to victory? If you consistently place the fate of the game in your QBs hands, and he delivers more often than not, that ladies and gentleman, is a franchise QB. That's why players like Eli Manning and Flacco are franchise QBs, but someone like Rivers, who is technically a better passer, would not be.

• Upvote 1

I think Blots is trolling with that post.

AFC East

AFC North

AFC South

AFC West

NFC East

NFC North

NFC South

NFC West

I'm sorry, I was totally agreeing with you (Even about Matt Ryan) until I saw Cam Newton. What has he proved? How can you have him as a YES, but Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan as a Debatable? That makes no sense. Cam Newton hasn't shown us anything spectacular aside from one season. Both those guys are light years ahead of Cam right now (Which is rightfully so being in the league longer).

I'm just curious for your honest reasoning behind the yes for Newton. Especially when, while the team WAS horrible as a whole, he didn't elevate them at all this past season.

And I'm not saying Newton ISNT a franchise QB. For me it's too early to tell and I would lean toward yes being how bad the team has been around him. But still, to have those two as debatable and Newton as an absolute yes, struck me weird.

Edited by Rain Man

I think Blots is trolling with that post.

Damn it, you caught me. Ok guys, confession time:

I don't think Tavaris Jackson is a franchise qb

Damn it, you caught me. Ok guys, confession time:

I don't think Tavaris Jackson is a franchise qb

lol. I meant other than that.

Eli Manning and Joe Flacco aren't franchise QBs?

RG3, Kaep, and Wilson are, but Cam is probably not?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

You do know the Rams had the 6th ranked defense overall in 99, right? 4th best in points allowed per game. They had more than just their offense.

If they didn't have the greatest safety of all time Mike Jones, the Titans would have won. :yep:

And if the Titans didn't exist the Jags would have won. Seriously they went undefeated that year except for one team, and they raped the 99 Dolphins.

lol. I meant other than that.

Eli Manning and Joe Flacco are franchise QBs?

RG3, Kaep, and Wilson are, but Cam is probably not?

I assume you meant to comment on how Flacco and Eli aren't and yes, I stand by that. I know Flacco has made the playoffs every year, but do you think thats because of him? I don't. He had a great run this year, but I don't get the vibe that thats something he will keep up regularly.

Eli Manning is what I think Flacco will be like. Yeah he had those great super bowl runs where he made great plays, but how many franchise qbs in their prime missed the playoffs in 3 of 4 years? Manning has his moments, but he's not someone you can rely on. If a quarterba

Kaepernick and Wilson established themselves as top level players in their first year of starting. I would be very surprised if they turn out to just be a flash in the pan (flashes in pans?)

RG3 also had an amazing year just like those guys. Really, it was better. The only reason I had any hesitation calling him a franchise qb is because of his knee. If he recovers from that, he's gonna have a long, successful career.

Newton my biggest question whether to say yes or no to and I decided no. What happened this season? The Panthers should've been in playoff contention. Instead they just crapped their way out of the gate before having a nice run against mostly bad teams. I don't care that Newton is young or that the Panthers don't have a ton of talent. Look at the three main rookie qbs this last year, most notably Luck. The colts were making a serious threat at 0-16 in 2011 and made the playoffs this year. The panthers had enough where they should've made the leap to competitiveness, but they didn't. Of course, Newton is young and for all I know he's on the verge of a great year this year where the Panthers do well. Until then though, I don't consider him a franchise qb.

Edited by blotsfan