Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

What scares you the most ?

In modern day and throughout history there have been an assload of things that sacre the shit out of me in the animal world.

A couple today are :

Alaskan-grizzly-bear.jpg

047009-shark-attack-warnings-ignored.jpg

There are some in history, obviously dinosaurs, Titanoboa (58 foot AT LEAST snake that is as big around as a school bus), The huge bears back in the day, and Megladon.

What are some of yours ?

Animals don't scare me, because I'll almost never be in contact with scary ones, and the ones I would be are a bit more friendly than media would have you to believe. (Unlike Seals, which are fucking scary, and a good reason why the Navy has a team named after them).

I've always hated the open ocean. Not because of the creatures that could be lurking around, but the feeling of being so far away from solid ground, so isolated. If a Carnival incident ever happened... that would be a nightmare.

Also I may be slightly lying about undersea creatures.

3046.jpg?v=1

3035.jpg?v=1

3047.jpg?v=1

• Upvote 1

Animals don't scare me, because I'll almost never be in contact with scary ones, and the ones I would be are a bit more friendly than media would have you to believe. (Unlike Seals, which are fucking scary, and a good reason why the Navy has a team named after them).

I've always hated the open ocean. Not because of the creatures that could be lurking around, but the feeling of being so far away from solid ground, so isolated. If a Carnival incident ever happened... that would be a nightmare.

Also I may be slightly lying about undersea creatures.

Spot on. The ocean is about the only thing I'm afraid of. Ugh.

Spiders and wasps...almost any form of flying insect (I know, I know, I'm a little bitch)

Spot on. The ocean is about the only thing I'm afraid of. Ugh.

So is it just the open ocean and the vastness of it or what is lurking beneath ?

I'm scared of about any kind of bee/wasp. Snakes creep me out too, but small ones don't bother me.

I've also always been scared of the dark. No, not the kind where I need a night light. But if I get put in a room that is completly dark where you can't see at all, I start freaking out. It may be a phobia honestly lol.

Deep water of any sort (lakes, oceans).

Bears scare the hell out of me as far as animals go. I remember like 10 years ago in new hampshire i was staying with my aunt. at like 9:30 at night some huge fucking bear waltzes onto the deck and starts going through the trash. the lights were on and i was just watching it through a glass door for like 30 seconds. It was fucking ENORMOUS. i was scared for the rest of the trip that a bear was gonna break in and eat me in my sleep.

Other things I'm scared of:

public speaking

death

going up for a layup and pulling a Kevin Ware

Edited by BradyFan81

So is it just the open ocean and the vastness of it or what is lurking beneath ?

Both.

Also, I forgot to include claustrophobia. I don't like the idea of a confined space (closets are fine) and I am liable to flip the fuck out if I can't move my extremities.

Spiders, Heights, things in the deep ocean and what Zack said.

Dying doesnt scare me because ive been so close to it so many times i expect it more then be afraid of it. The only thing i dislike about death is dying before im ready to go. Like not finishing up my life or a certain part of my life. Because i want to experience certain things before i go.

I see no reason to fear death. It is inevitable for every single soul on this earth.

^^^ That. Not afraid of death. It is going to find me someday, so might as well embrace it. It would be like being afraid of waking up in the morning imo. I do wonder the psychology that goes into it though and find it intriguing.

Just because everyone is going to experience it doesn't make it any less scary. Not for me anyway. I've gotten better over the last couple years, but it's always been one of my biggest fears. I have dreams of my own gravestone and me.. "existing" but just laying there in the ground as the days, months, seasons, and years go by. And not even my own all the time, but sometimes those closest to me. Hard to think about sometimes, for me, anyway.

Spiders are definitely a huge one. I won't be in the same room as a somewhat nice sized spider. Won't even squish them with shoes because I think they will magically crawl out and up my arm or something. Usually have to stand 30 ft back and spray them with aerosol spray until they die.

And definitely heights. If it's an enclosed structure like the St. Louis Arch or an airplane I am fine, but getting on the roof of the house or even higher up on ladders and I don't do so hot. Get dizzy, feel sick.

I think that the way that I will die is what I find scary.

That would also be scary, but fall under different categories for me. I can think of A LOT of not-so-appealing ways to die. *shudder*

I scuba dive as much as I can, got my license at 12 when we were living in Hawaii, and so I have little fear of the open water- so long as I am diving. If I'm floating on top of the water, that is freaking scary. FarCry 3 scared the ever living shit out of me twice, once because I was crossing a river and a croc jumped me from underneath and then when you have to hunt that maneater shark and he has like 5 buddies in the water with him.

Diving down to skin that thing knowing there were sharks around the area... lol. I made like 10 sweeps with the boat around clearing out all the sharks before I went down to get it.

And the first time I was attacked by a shark... lol.

What is so incredibly funny about this is I have actually been "attacked" by a shark while I was scuba diving, and yet I still don't fear the water while I'm diving. (I put attacked in quotes because it never actually tried to bite me, it was a male Oceanic white-tip reef shark and it didn't appreciate me nosing around in its area.)

As far as land animals... not many really. My dad is highly allergic to black widows, so for a long time I was scared to death of spiders, but then I got bit by by a widow and nothing really happened. Certainly not what happened to him, he got bit when I was like 10 or so and he nearly died.

I'm scared about watching the movie "The Titanic", because whenever I watch it I always die at that scene when the glass ceiling in the dining room for the upper class people is flooded, and I'm nailed down to the floor every time for some reason.

I don't like having my bedroom door open at night, because I'm nervious that a burgler might come in and knife me to death or something like that!

I'm never on edge when fencing through the woods, but knowing that cougars and badgers call the area home, I am always worried about what I'll do when I come across one. Bears and wolves wander through at times, as well, but I doubt I'll ever see one or the other.

I don't like having my bedroom door open at night, because I'm nervious that a burgler might come in and knife me to death or something like that!

That's on the same premise as cops and solo cups. "Welp, that smells like alcohol but it's not labeled so it's okay." "Shit, that fucker closed his door. Maybe some other time." :p

I'd say the only "fear" I have is not living up to my potential. I've struggled finding a career job much less a satisfying one and there's no telling how long it could take to find one, which freaks me out.

The rest I'd just consider "concerns." Murky water, drunk drivers. Both scare me.

• Upvote 2

I'm more scared of the people closest to dying than me dying.

Other people driving scares me. You never know what is going through another person's mind on the road. I always think what if the person coming down the street decides "fuck my life" and crashes me head on. Random I know but it crosses my mind.

I hate of the dark and what could be the dark. Spirits, a robber, whatever.

Oh the potential thing that Jay said as well.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

What am I most afraid of? Hmm... spiders and serial killers aside, probably the future. It's just way too unpredictable, and in today's society people (including myself) set expectations that are way too high. That can be good, but when you begin pressuring yourself into a corner of thought that dictates 'you're a failure if you aren't making six figures annually', you're probably heading in the wrong direction. This also ties in people I love dying.

Honestly, the thing that worries me the most about the future is what impact I will have on it. When I was in Spain, we were saying our favorite moments on our last night. You want to know what our tour guide said? She said that she had become an incredibly pessimistic person with regards to our future, but that our group made her feel a bit more confident. Something about that just screamed in my head, "You can't let her down... You have to go make sure everyone remembers who you are."

tl;dr I'm afraid of the future and the impact that I and those who are around me will have on it.

I share some of the fears already mentioned.

The Ocean is one of them. This reminded me of a conversation that I had with one of my friends about two years ago. It was a cool summer night and we chilling and randomly came across this question; What's the scariest place on earth? Somehow, space came into the equation but it was between space and the bottom of the ocean. Would you rather be shipped in a submarine to the bottom of the ocean for 3 days or be shipped into space for 3 days... It proved to be a very difficult question to answer. In space being so far away from the earth is scary imo because (i'm a pessimist) because what if something goes wrong and you can't get back to earth? Then you're floating aimlessly in space watching earth get smaller and smaller... Death is inevitable and waiting it out in such a manner would be torture.. Then the flip side to going to the bottom of the ocean, it's darker then space absent stars and so much is unknown at the bottom of the ocean.

Space is equally if not vastly more unknown / undiscovered territory than the bottom of the ocean but I think it's more then likely to come across sea monsters then aliens (lol). While I do believe there has to be some form of life in the universe outside of us, I think it's even a greater and realer possibility that their are sea monsters at the bottom of the ocean. Giants squids and other unknown creatures. Whatever decimated that whale I saw to the state it's corpse was had to be violent, big, and extremely powerful. This conversation with my friend even ventured off into if they had a jail in space for extreme offenders, it would be less crime. Jail in space?? People would definitely think twice about committing crime. But enough talk about random conversations on a summer night about two dudes that were zooted out their minds...

But yeah, heights, losing loved ones, getting the wrong chick pregnant, being buried alive and dying by fire.

Edited by dutchff7