Dutch

Your Top 5 Sitcoms of All-Time

Mines are basically from my child hood.

1. Fresh Prince of Bel Air- Classic & the best.

2. Malcolm in the Middle- Funniest sitcom ever watching that dysfunctional family

3. Simpsons- Best sitcom of all time. Probably not anymore put in it's prime, definitely a classic.

4. Family Matters- Who didn't like imitating Urkels famous line in their childhood?

5. That 70's Show- Just a funny and great show

Honorable Mentions- Boy meets World, Dinosaurs, Parent Hood, Sister Sister (yeah, I did) and All of Us.

It's more but can't remember them atm.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

I know these are subjective, but Seinfeld laughs at your comment regarding the Simpsons. :laugh:

• Upvote 2

OK lets try this...

1-Married with Children

2-Two and a Half Men/w Charlie Sheen

3-Everybody Loves Raymond

4-Coach

5-Sanford and Son

2qlftqb.jpg

• Upvote 2

seinfeld_show_desc_cast.jpg
  • Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

2-Two and a Half Men/w Charlie Sheen

ari-gold-gtfo.gif

seinfeld_show_desc_cast.jpg

Could never really get into Seinfield to be honest...couldn't stand any of the characters.

Also so hard limiting it to 5, so here's my personal Top 10 :D

1. Arrested Development

2. Fresh Prince

3. The Office

4. Scrubs

5. Parks & Recreation

6. Community

7. Simpsons

8. MASH

9. Modern Family

10. 30 Rock

• Upvote 2

My top 5 and then others I've always enjoyed:

Seinfeld

Home Improvement

That '70s Show

Malcolm in the Middle

Scrubs

The Wonder Years

Curb Your Enthusiasm

The Drew Carey Show

The King of Queens

According to Jim

Married...with Chidren

Everybody Loves Raymond

Just Shoot Me

Edited by Bay
  • Upvote 1

1) Seinfeld

2) The Office

3) The Simpsons

4) That 70's Show

5) Community

I really want to fit It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia in there too...

Not going to rank them because fuck that. Tiers.

God Tier:

3rd Rock from the Sun

Seinfeld

How I Met Your Mother

Malcolm in the Middle (show got worse as Malcolm grew older)

The Office

Modern Family

Reno 911!

Parks and Recreation

That 70's Show (ending seasons kinda' blew)

30 Rock

Arrested Development

It's Always Sunny Philadelphia

My Name is Earl

Friends

Good Tier:

The League

Family Guy

The Drew Carey Show

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Just Shoot Me

Frasier

Awesome New Show Tier:

Veep

New Girl

"Meh, I might watch it" Tier:

The Simpsons

M.A.S.H.

Home Improvement

The King of Queens

Married...with Chidren

South Park

I Need to Watch It Tier:

Community

Curb Your Enthusiasm

So Bad I'd Almost Rather Listen to Country Music Tier:

Scrubs

Two and a Half Men

Big Bang Theory

Everybody Loves Raymond

According to Jim

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

1.) Hung:

2011-12-20-hung.jpg

This show has won out. It is a shame that they have not renewed it and would probably go down as one of the greats if people were not so uncomfortable with the premise. Had it come out in ten years it would be a smash hit. The characters do exactly what they are supposed to in the sense the ones you are supposed to feel empathy for you do, the ones you hate you really hate, the ones that make you laugh really make you laugh. It has an abundance of adult humor and is extremely well written. If you have not seen it, go forth and pirate.

2.) Dexter:

Dexter_.jpg

Who has never been tempted to slip that assholes throat that cut you off, or that alcoholic douche bad who you over hear yelling at his woman ? This guy does. It is kind of crazy to think that will all the unsolved murders if this has not really happened and the cops just dont care to expend then energy to find people who take out the trash. The characters develop well so that you get the sense of loss when it is decided they become another cog in the machine that is dexters killing machine. The love interests are real, the villians are always clever and cunning. Things are always revealed that are new insights to Dexter and why he is who he is. Great Show.

3.) Seinfeld:

seinfeld2.jpg

The show was funny and was coming to an end as I was starting to have to pay bills and was always funny to come home to my studio apartment and laugh at and try to identify those same characters. It just brings back memories of the nineties and is pretty damn funny. That and I always wanted Kramers hair and to bang elaine.

4.) House:

house-md-wallpaper-11792.jpg

This is the only show that will make it that has not been good throughout. This is because the first 5 seasons were prolific. The show was amazing, it appealed to intellect and a angry doctor who hated patients as much as patients usually hate doctors. he was also a doctor who loved monster trucks, cocaine, and hookers. It was pretty innovative and swept the globe by storm. That and house had the perfect amount of scruff.

5.) Family Guy:

familyguy_10241.jpg

It wasnt the original and must pay homage to shows like The Simpsons and South Park, however it had a lot more about it that I liked about both of them. It had far more political humor that is actually relevant and it makes the show interesting. It has Brian the alcoholic dog who is usually and retrospective career to bring levity to a serious moment(usually with Peter) and it is not afraid to make fun of anybody. When I saw Stewie playing Marco Polo with Helen Keller I could not stop laughing and knew I had found my sitcom.

I know what they are but honestly there arent many I liked that are not cartoons.

the only one I can think of is the wonder years and Fresh prince so I just expanded to TV shows.

1. Friends

2. A tie for everything else.

1. Home Improvement (By far my #1. Just awesome.)

The rest in no particular order (I'm probably forgetting some):

Scrubs (Zack, I am disappoint.)

Malcolm in the Middle

Seinfeld

Fresh Prince (Toss up between this and Family Matters.)

• Upvote 1

:wub: Home Improvement

My mom always loved watching old shows on TV, so when I was younger I was exposed to a lot of older shows that most people my age probably didn't watch and didn't care to watch, either. Not a big deal, but it does add a unique perspective to my list. I will omit most, if not, all of the recent ones listed above as I tend to agree with a lot of them (Seinfeld, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince, Everybody Loves Raymond etc etc).

I also must give a special shout out to 10 Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter. The show died when John Ritter passed away, but it was so good so a while there. I also really enjoyed King of Queens -- the only good thing Kevin James has done with his career.

Zack also deserves credit for bringing up the League which is SO FANTASTIC. You don't need to like football or fantasy football to enjoy the hilariousness of that show. I haven't watched it religiously since it's been on air, but I need to. Comedic gold.

Anyway, the oldies but goodies.

Three's Company

Laverne & Shirley

I Love Lucy

Happy Days

All In the Family

There are others that could be included there, of course, but those are just ones I watched semi-regularly as a kid and still go back to every once in a while for a good laugh.

• Upvote 2

1. How I Met Your Mother

2. Scrubs

3. That 70s Show

4. Home Improvement

5. The Big Bang Theory

Zack, I understand the BBT hatred, but what's wrong with Scrubs?

Malcolm in the Middle was awful. Same with How I Met Your Mother, they spend most of the time at the bar doing nothing and acting is pretty meh.

1. Married with Children

2. Home Improvement

3. Modern Family

4. Big Bang Theory

5. Reno 911

I always thought a sitcom is when you have an audience there that laughs at the jokes? Guess not. Is it just a show that is funny?

1. Seinfeld

2. The Office

3. It's always Sunny

4. The Simpsons

5. South Park

If Shameless counts as a sitcom then that's my #1.

Edited by BradyFan81

I know what they are but honestly there arent many I liked that are not cartoons.

I think he's more referring to you having house and dexter on your list. They may be great shows (personally loved house) but not sitcoms at all.*

No particular order

How I Met Your Mother. Its incredibly hard for a show to have a long running storyline and still keep it funny. How I met your mother does just that. Also, I'm a sucker for a show with continuity jokes, and how I met your mother does that better than any show other than arrested development. Hey that reminds me...

Arrested development. Brilliant show. Great characters, the work off each other great. They always do an amazing job of tying everything together. I can not recommend this show any higher. I havent finished season 4 yet, but its been very good so far, and I've been told it gets better.

Futurama. I'm putting this here over the simpsons because we've gotten to the point where there are more "meh" simpsons seasons than great ones. Futurama lives on a great combination of high and low brow humor, and while there are definitely jokes that go over my head, there are enough winners so I don't feel like I missed that much. I have never seen a show do a better job of having a funny episode for 21 minutes, and making you depressed because of the last 1. There are many episodes like this, and one in particular thats just awful about it. If you've seen that episode, you know which one I'm talking about.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air. In terms of objective quality, it should not be on this list. The jokes are predictable as hell, and it generally does not go far from cliche sitcom plots. The thing that separates it is the characters. They all play off of each other great, but aren't just cutout sitcom stereotypes. They actually show that they have depth and emotion to them. Not to mention, if you don't enjoy the Carleton dance, I don't think you're the type of person I want to associate myself with.

American Dad. Yep, this is my Seth McFarlane choice. American Dad is a toned down version of family guy that knows just when and how to tone it down. It uses surreal humor rather than cutaways, and for the most part has kept the characters personalities consistent throughout the shows run. The one exception to this is Stan, which has been for the better. American Dad started with "Hey, its family guy, but we're gonna make fun of republicans." Ironically, while family guy leaned itself towards that sort of humor (and suffered for it), American Dad got away from that. Now Stan is more of an overconfident, inadequate agent rather than a shallow republican parody, and the show is much better for it.

*That remark brought to you by blotsfan's illiteracy

Edited by blotsfan
  • Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

So Bad I'd Almost Rather Listen to Country Music Tier:

Scrubs

Two and a Half Men

Big Bang Theory

Everybody Loves Raymond

According to Jim

+1 for hating BBT. That show is stupid stupid stupid.

• Upvote 1

Are you serious? BBT is great. I enjoy how they're nerds who say and do nerdy things. Its like, thats not normal!

• Upvote 2

American Dad is a toned down version of family guy that knows just when and how to tone it down.

:think:

• Upvote 1

I'm a cartoon guy, but I really can't rank them.

1. Family Guy

2. American Dad

3. South Park

4. Futurama

5. The Simpsons

Non-cartoon shows also not ranked

1. The Office

2. It's Always Sunny

3. Cheers

4. Married with Children

5. Martin

• Upvote 1

Mines are basically from my child hood.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs is on Netflix now, it doesn't really hold up. I loved it when I was young, but now it just seems cheesy.

Edited by NaTaS