Omerta

What Are Your Realistic Expectations For Your Team?

Is this thread titled appropriately? I thought this was supposed to be about expectations for this season. Someone should rename this thread to "What excuses do you have for not winning the Super Bowl last season?"

Sheesh. We played crap teams, so we didn't look as good against tougher competition... Really? Better teams are harder to beat? GTFO!

Doom ain't shit because he plays better against poor competition... WHO DOESN'T

Brady ain't got no good catchers... Someone stop the presses.

Oh, and with every team in the NFL but the Jags and Eagles going 10-6 and pushing for a playoff spot, this should be the most exciting season ever. :troll:

Well, guess what: I see the Chiefs have to potential to go—you guessed it: 10-6 and push for a playoff spot. That's what I think they have the potential to do, and maybe even more than that. Charles isn't listening to the rumors of his career being over, and Baldwin is, once again, blowing it up in camp. Bowe predicts that he'll be the best WR in the league, Andy Reid loves BBQ, Pederson loves Alex Smith, and all the pro bowl defenders are returning. This team could be super fun to watch finally put it all together this year: this is just one scenario though...

What I'm used to though is for them to disappoint me at every turn, every time I get excited about anything. So I am fully prepared for them to finish 4-12 after Charles left leg falls off and D-Bowe gets exploded like a crash test dummy. Alex Smith would probably revert to his pre-Harbaugh state in this scenario, throwing less Td's than picks, and the defense would inexplicably give up 30 points per game, all of which causes new coach Andy Reid to reach stress levels so dangerous and unhealthy that he drops 150 pounds and stars in his very own real life version of Girl Interupted.

I'm fully expecting one of these scenarios to play out right before the eyes of Chiefs fans and haters alike. Which one? I don't even think they know just yet. Only time will tell which ridiculous scenario will end up happening, but such are my expectations. It's either going to start being fun to be a Chiefs fan, or this will be the unprecedented second straight season that I don't purchase one piece of Chiefs paraphernalia due to my disgust and disdain for football.

Win the division or get the wild card. Lose in the divisional round (win one game or get a bye then lose).

Is this thread titled appropriately? I thought this was supposed to be about expectations for this season. Someone should rename this thread to "What excuses do you have for not winning the Super Bowl last season?"

Sheesh. We played crap teams, so we didn't look as good against tougher competition... Really? Better teams are harder to beat? GTFO!

Doom ain't shit because he plays better against poor competition... WHO DOESN'T

Brady ain't got no good catchers... Someone stop the presses.

Oh, and with every team in the NFL but the Jags and Eagles going 10-6 and pushing for a playoff spot, this should be the most exciting season ever. :troll:

Well, guess what: I see the Chiefs have to potential to go—you guessed it: 10-6 and push for a playoff spot. That's what I think they have the potential to do, and maybe even more than that. Charles isn't listening to the rumors of his career being over, and Baldwin is, once again, blowing it up in camp. Bowe predicts that he'll be the best WR in the league, Andy Reid loves BBQ, Pederson loves Alex Smith, and all the pro bowl defenders are returning. This team could be super fun to watch finally put it all together this year: this is just one scenario though...

What I'm used to though is for them to disappoint me at every turn, every time I get excited about anything. So I am fully prepared for them to finish 4-12 after Charles left leg falls off and D-Bowe gets exploded like a crash test dummy. Alex Smith would probably revert to his pre-Harbaugh state in this scenario, throwing less Td's than picks, and the defense would inexplicably give up 30 points per game, all of which causes new coach Andy Reid to reach stress levels so dangerous and unhealthy that he drops 150 pounds and stars in his very own real life version of Girl Interupted.

I'm fully expecting one of these scenarios to play out right before the eyes of Chiefs fans and haters alike. Which one? I don't even think they know just yet. Only time will tell which ridiculous scenario will end up happening, but such are my expectations. It's either going to start being fun to be a Chiefs fan, or this will be the unprecedented second straight season that I don't purchase one piece of Chiefs paraphernalia due to my disgust and disdain for football.

Serious question, do you expect Andy Reid to lean on the running game the way that Harbaugh did in SF with Smith?

If not, do you expect Smith to be successful if he's the focal point of the offense?

I don't ask for much, Lord, how about a .500 season?

If I was a Falcons fan, I would be concerned with two things:

1) Age/dropoff of key offensive players. Thinking here of Jackson and Gonzalez. Also, Baker was studly last year but will his back hold up?

2) Pass rush. Where's it coming from? The mix at DT seems pretty decent, but no one on the outside would scare me. Mike Nolan can truly make a whole lot out of a little with scheme, but the longer a team tries to get by that way the tougher it gets. Teams catch on.

If those two things sort themselves out, Atlanta should be tough to beat. If one pans out but the other does not, I still like your chances. If both go south, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Not just that, but at OLB for the Falcons. They gave up two big leads in the playoffs (but still won the Seahawks game) due to TEs burning them. That obviously falls on the OLBs and the SS at times, or a NB if they're in nickel. They're fine at nickel (Alford can be a beast at NB), and maybe that's what they plan to play more of to compensate for the lack of OLB options.

If I was a Falcons fan, I would be concerned with two things:

1) Age/dropoff of key offensive players. Thinking here of Jackson and Gonzalez. Also, Baker was studly last year but will his back hold up?

2) Pass rush. Where's it coming from? The mix at DT seems pretty decent, but no one on the outside would scare me. Mike Nolan can truly make a whole lot out of a little with scheme, but the longer a team tries to get by that way the tougher it gets. Teams catch on.

If those two things sort themselves out, Atlanta should be tough to beat. If one pans out but the other does not, I still like your chances. If both go south, I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are pretty solid expectations for Kroy and Mass this coming season at defensive end, the defensive tackle position is actually the position with the most concern. Steven Jackson is an obvious upgrade on Turner, even if he doesn't play the caliber he played in St. Louis. Gonzo is going to be Gonzo. Even if he doesn't perform like last season, he's still a solid option at TE and with Julio and Roddy on the outside, if he does regress we still have solid options.

There are pretty solid expectations for Kroy and Mass this coming season at defensive end, the defensive tackle position is actually the position with the most concern. Steven Jackson is an obvious upgrade on Turner, even if he doesn't play the caliber he played in St. Louis. Gonzo is going to be Gonzo. Even if he doesn't perform like last season, he's still a solid option at TE and with Julio and Roddy on the outside, if he does regress we still have solid options.

I can see Kroy or Massaquoi becoming a complimentary threat. But I would be less than confident with Osi as the primary pass rusher. But I forgot you guys let Vance Walker go- I thought he and Babineaux were pretty good at penetrating inside. So I guess I have some questions about your DL as a whole.

And Jackson is an upgrade, and Gonzo was still Gonzo a year ago. But what I was meaning to say is that they're at an age where drop offs can be drastic. No guarantee that they'll suck or anything; just saying it's what I would be worried about as an Atlanta fan.

But overall you guys have a good team.

Not just that, but at OLB for the Falcons. They gave up two big leads in the playoffs (but still won the Seahawks game) due to TEs burning them. That obviously falls on the OLBs and the SS at times, or a NB if they're in nickel. They're fine at nickel (Alford can be a beast at NB), and maybe that's what they plan to play more of to compensate for the lack of OLB options.

Nicholas and Weatherspoon both had weirdly so-so years from what I could tell. I would expect both to improve a bit in 2013- they've both played a lot better in the past. And William Moore is a pretty darn good SS. I think Robert McClain will be their NB; and he's already a darn good one.

Spoon is good to go... but Nicholas ehhh... and what in the world they see in Dent, who knows. Reminds me of the old Jags FO love of Guy Whimper in the past.

Spoon is good to go... but Nicholas ehhh... and what in the world they see in Dent, who knows. Reminds me of the old Jags FO love of Guy Whimper in the past.

Yeah I couldn't figure out Dent either, until I realized that Nolan actually only uses him on slightly less than half of the Falcons' defensive snaps. They're in sub packages so often that MLB seems like less of a priority for them. Dimitroff is trying to build them to stop the pass first and foremost. But I'm not sure they'll have the pass rush to get it done the way they'd like. They were already one of the worst teams in the league at getting to the QB w/ 4 guys (without blitzing), and then they replaced Abraham with Umenyiora and let Vance Walker go to Oaktown.

Win the division or get the wild card. Lose in the divisional round (win one game or get a bye then lose).

Really why do you think they won't do well in the playoffs?

Serious question, do you expect Andy Reid to lean on the running game the way that Harbaugh did in SF with Smith?

If not, do you expect Smith to be successful if he's the focal point of the offense?

No I don't think he'll lean on the running game, but I don't think Alex Smith will necessarily be the focal point either. Charles is an absolute stud, and Andy is gonna get him involved in the passing game out of the backfield, in motion, etc... I think Charles will be the main character in this offense, albeit possibly not in the traditional sense that you would think a RB would be.

Charles will be used to take pressure off of Smith and free things up in the passing game as well, so I do think that Smith CAN succeed in this offense. I don't know that he necessarily will though, as I've never really been a big fan of his. Now that he's in KC though, I'm all for him. Go Alex Smith. I'm more hoping he'll take care of business than expecting though. If his turnaround in SF wasn't completely scheme based and the product of the other ten guys around him, great. If that was a large part of it though, it's not like he's surrounded by a bunch of slouches in KC, so I'm pretty certain that this team can be successful with him under center. Like I said earlier though, it's the Chiefs, so I'm also pretty certain that it could all fall apart in a moment, too.

Actually the ravens do exactly what mike Nolan did in 2009. He will line up as both. The ravens run a hybrid defense with versatile players(remember where Nolan came from?). He is also lining up opposite a fully healthy Suggs. Pretty much the best all around olb in the game. Who exactly does miller have now?

Either way he's still not the pass rusher you think he is. He'll probably get some pretty stats beating up on those garbage o-lines in your division but he does not influence a game at all. You of all people should know this as he did nothing against the Ravens in the playoffs.

Von Miller doesn't need Dumervil for anything and he proved that his rookie year when Dumervil was MIA for the first 7 games that year.

Anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7. I think we'll be better than our record shows, but we do have a pretty tough schedule this year.

Oh come now.

I don't think the Vikes will be that bad.

Yeah, either will Baltimore or Seattle.

Actually the ravens do exactly what mike Nolan did in 2009. He will line up as both. The ravens run a hybrid defense with versatile players(remember where Nolan came from?). He is also lining up opposite a fully healthy Suggs. Pretty much the best all around olb in the game. Who exactly does miller have now?

Denver lead the league in sacks with 54, miller had 18.5, dumervil had 10.5 so there were 25 sacks picked up by other players so we do have more the dumervil. At the same time no one who doesn't have the all22 film will believe this but there isn't going to be much drop off from dumervil to Ayers who quietly had a good season last year and will help elevate us to the number 1 run defense then throw in one of the better pass rushing DT in this last draft and we will get to the 50's in sacks again this year

as a charger fan and how we just got a new coaching staff i think were go 9-7 and taking the wild card

I mean I think we've all established that the Chiefs, Raiders, and Jags can never have nice things, and it must always end badly.

The chiefs are going to be good this year. I think they are going to be much much better then the chargers

The chiefs are going to be good this year. I think they are going to be much much better then the chargers

My comment was said in half jest, as many regulars around here have come to expect from me for the most part.

But sense we're getting all serious, I hope you're right. These three franchises have been tortured long enough. My hope for my Jags is that we've literately changed everything substantial. Owner, GM, HC. Still don't have a QB but that hasn't been drafted yet and likely comes next year. But I'm hoping the substantial changes of owner, GM, and HC have killed off the older curses surrounding the franchise.

I think they need a QB for that to happen.