BUCK3Y3

What fascinates you?

What one topic regardless of how obscure or maintstream it is fascinates you more than any other? Maybe its fascinated you as a child or maybe you have new found interest.

When I was a kid my answer to this question would have been archaeology. Now by a very wide margin its the Universe. The Universe is so fascinating I don't get how everyone isn't obsessed with it. Too think there are billions of stars out there. Our star has 8 planets and 4 dwarf planets. Considering the number of stars and the potential number of planets I personally believe there is life out there.

One Astrobiologist summed it up really well when she said "Assuming there is no other life in the universe is like walking to the edge of the ocean dipping a cup in and seeing there is no fish in the cup then concluding there is no life in the ocean." We haven't explored even a fraction of the universe. Everything that has every been broadcast on earth is also being broadcast out into space.

The very first radio broadcast hasn't even left our solar system yet. Though it doesn't offer much hope because at 100 light years away trying to detect a radio signal from earth would be like someone in California trying to detect someone in Japan dropping a pebble in the Pacific Ocean. The only real hope we have of ever meeting intelligent life is if it finds us. Which could also be a bad thing.

I could talk about this kind of crap for hours and I'm not even smart enough

to understand 3/4 of what I learn about the Universe. Maybe that's why its so fascinating to me.

• Upvote 1

I am fascinated that out of 7 billion people, not one is exactly the same as another. It's amazing how that happens.

Physics, especially astrophysics but that is starting to include quantum physics. I wish I was a little brighter with math so I could grasp more of what it's all about.

I'm done with school, but my final semester had a class in Biological Anthropology, and I found that absolutely fascinating.

I'm done with school, but my final semester had a class in Biological Anthropology, and I found that absolutely fascinating.

Can you explain a little?

Physics, especially astrophysics but that is starting to include quantum physics. I wish I was a little brighter with math so I could grasp more of what it's all about.

I too find this fascinating but I'm nowhere near smart enough to comprehend the complexities of physic,astophysics or quantum physics. Still I like hearing smart people talk about and the little bit I do understand makes it fascinating.

Extreme height (Gigantism) has always intrigued me to no end. I don't know why.

I have also always been fascinated by the origins of religions around the world. So much so that my DVR is practically overloaded with documentaries on the subject.

As of late, theme parks. Design of the rides/attractions, the business aspect, future speculation, etc. it has kind of really been grabbing my attention lately and keeping me entertained lol.

Every aspect of Psychology. I love the studying of people, and why we do the things we do.

Abnormal Psychology fascinates me the most. (Sociopaths, OCD, schizophrenia, etc.)

Can you explain a little?

It's basically a combination of evolution and the way organisms act in their own group, as well as a historical context. We studied assholes like Linnaeus.

Magnets. For sure.

Also cave systems.

The cave of crystals in mexico. Can you imagine being the first guy to find this?

a174_crystal1.jpg

The cave of ghosts in Venezuela. You can fly a small plane through it.

a174_ghost.jpg

Space is obviously pretty fucking crazy. This gif everyone has probably seen but it still puts me in awe. We are so insignificant in the big picture.

1232024489_The_size_of_planets.gif

• Upvote 1

I guess to expand on my initial post, genetics is a field that fascinates me to no end. It's amazing what we can do with genetic manipulation. We can see how closely two organisms are related genetically, without having to rely on physical similarities, which can be quite misleading. Genetics itself determines everything, from our hair color, to the tameness of dogs versus wolves, to the probability of us having cancer, or children with congenital defects. By manipulating genetic material, we can alter what makes us us. I think that is absolutely remarkable. Scary, but remarkable all the same.

Magnets. For sure.

Fuckin' magnets. How do they work?

• Upvote 1

Things that make me think.

Economics.

Politics.

Religion.

Novels with a meaning that goes further than face value and poetry with the same characteristic.

The fact that if we counted 5 billion dollars at a rate of 1 dollar per second we would be dead before we succeeded.

Edited by Vikingfan465

I see there is a pretty wide array of interests around here.

People talk about psychology, but it's sociology that interests me. I spent a long time thinking about people as just individuals, but looking at things from a perspective of cultures and norms defining the kind of things people become, it's truly interesting. It goes a long way to explaining things like why the poor stay poor, and why the status quo is so easy to maintain.

From that, space is a major fascination, it's the dream of any hot blooded man to explore the unknown, and space is as unknown as it gets. Could you imagine life on other planets, stepping foot on a new planet or satellite? Fascinating stuff.

I'm a civil war buff. Can't get enough of that stuff.

Oh, I forgot history. Especially European (particularly Spanish) history after going to Spain last year.

What one topic regardless of how obscure or maintstream it is fascinates you more than any other? Maybe its fascinated you as a child or maybe you have new found interest.

When I was a kid my answer to this question would have been archaeology. Now by a very wide margin its the Universe. The Universe is so fascinating I don't get how everyone isn't obsessed with it. Too think there are billions of stars out there. Our star has 8 planets and 4 dwarf planets. Considering the number of stars and the potential number of planets I personally believe there is life out there.

One Astrobiologist summed it up really well when she said "Assuming there is no other life in the universe is like walking to the edge of the ocean dipping a cup in and seeing there is no fish in the cup then concluding there is no life in the ocean." We haven't explored even a fraction of the universe. Everything that has every been broadcast on earth is also being broadcast out into space.

The very first radio broadcast hasn't even left our solar system yet. Though it doesn't offer much hope because at 100 light years away trying to detect a radio signal from earth would be like someone in California trying to detect someone in Japan dropping a pebble in the Pacific Ocean. The only real hope we have of ever meeting intelligent life is if it finds us. Which could also be a bad thing.

I could talk about this kind of crap for hours and I'm not even smart enough

to understand 3/4 of what I learn about the Universe. Maybe that's why its so fascinating to me.

-Good/Evil

-Jesus/Heaven/Angels/The Bible

-The end times, the Antichrist...things like that.

-Woody Allen films

-Silent films

-Classic films/movie stars

-The 50's and 60's

-Marilyn Monroe

-JFK

-JFK Jr.

-Princess Diana

-Animals

-Oceans

-Classical music

-Ballet

Edited by Jules

I'm really love star trails photography. I came across a couple on Flickr. Then I researched it heavily. I'm just so moved by the way real life images can be captured that hold the power of a Starry Night painting by Van Gogh. I read how much work it is and was a little shocked. To pull it off you need an SLR camera, a remote shutter, a spotless lens, hand warmers to keep the lens from fogging up, and a location that is pitch black, with zero light disturbances.

Went and gave it a whirl on the my own and this was the product. Next time I'd like to go set up during the daytime to preset the focus a little better, and then I'd also like to aim it at the North Star. When doing this, you get the illusion that all the stars are moving in a circular motion around the North Star. This one that I did is with the camera aimed away from the North Star. To be honest I had no clue where the North Star was at the time. I wanted to be surprised in the outcome.

post-3005-0-47041900-1377244640_thumb.jpg

Am I the only one that thought Devin started this thread?

ED... WHAT ARE YOUR PASSIONS!?