AL_Royalty

Are 11-6 Chiefs for real?

Eric Berry is showing why he's worthy of being a 2-time pro-bowler, the entirety of the pad rush is just nasty, Sean Smith has successfully completed the secondary, and the monster under your bed went on record saying he's scared of this KC defense. Opposite them is an ad efficient as advertised Alex Smith, a Jamal Charles who, contrary to popular expectations, has not been abandoned, and a seemingly very reliabl Donnie Avery hell bent on proving he's not a fluke. Oh, and Dwayne Bowe hasn't even really been thrown to yet. So tell me:are they die real,or is it fools gold?

No.

Chiefs are the team I fear playing most in the AFC right now. Efficient QB play with that defense? Stop please. Bring back Cassel or Ricky Stanzi. I miss those days.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to their defense line up against an elite QB who is capable of scoring 35+ every game to see if either A) their defense can hold them in check or B) their offense can explode and outscore the opponent. Not saying they would falter exactly... I just want to see their response for that.

As long as they remain turnover free, I think you have to like them a lot. I really see no reason to say otherwise.

While there are a ton of great players... Justin Houston and Dontari Poe. Holy hell, man.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Looks like Pioli left the cupboards pretty well stocked for his successor.

I still see them as a marginal playoff contender. Alex Smith was a huge upgrade and I expected him to pay immediate dividends for them. KC is actually a similar roster from the one he departed from in SF. But I don't see them having the same impact players that the Niners had. Ultimately, Smith is not a QB who can be counted on to succeed if an opponent turns the Chiefs into a one dimensional team. That's due in large part to their rather mundane WR corps, but also Smith's talent ceiling.

A team that can shut down the run effectively, or lead a track meet offensively would put them in dire straits. Playoff contenders will be capable of doing either of those.

So long as they continue to...

1. Run the ball well.

2. Play good defense.

3. Not committ dumb turnovers most importantly from the quarterback position.

then yeah, the Chiefs are legit. If they have to come from behind and ask Alex Smith to pass 45+ times there may be a problem... Overall though their 3-0 record is no fluke. This team has had a very talented roster for the past few seasons, and Andy Reid, Alex Smith, and the other acquisitions are finally launching this team into contention.

I am not buying until I see more from them than dumpoffs to donnie avery who gets 15 YAC to convert 3rd and long.

When Alex smith starts pushing the ball down the field and stops with the dink and dunk garbage I am going to worry.

Chiefs are the team I fear playing most in the AFC right now. Efficient QB play with that defense? Stop please. Bring back Cassel or Ricky Stanzi. I miss those days.

L lol. That's what I'm talking about buddy. Those days are over, and thank God for that.

I'd like to their defense line up against an elite QB who is capable of scoring 35+ every game to see if either A) their defense can hold them in check or B) their offense can explode and outscore the opponent. Not saying they would falter exactly... I just want to see their response for that.

As long as they remain turnover free, I think you have to like them a lot. I really see no reason to say otherwise.

While there are a ton of great players... Justin Houston and Dontari Poe. Holy hell, man.

I've been saying for awhile that Poee was gonna have a coming out party this year. Houston is just a pig. I think Razor is right. Wouldn't wanna have to play this team right now.

Looks like Pioli left the cupboards pretty well stocked for his successor.

I still see them as a marginal playoff contender. Alex Smith was a huge upgrade and I expected him to pay immediate dividends for them. KC is actually a similar roster from the one he departed from in SF. But I don't see them having the same impact players that the Niners had. Ultimately, Smith is not a QB who can be counted on to succeed if an opponent turns the Chiefs into a one dimensional team. That's due in large part to their rather mundane WR corps, but also Smith's talent ceiling.

A team that can shut down the run effectively, or lead a track meet offensively would put them in dire straits. Playoff contenders will be capable of doing either of those.

This defense is gonna run this machine. If I've learned one thing about what gets it done in today's NFL, it's that a killer pass rush trumps everything. In aQB driven league, stopping the other team's one is paramount. If all these meanies start mean, this team is gonna surprise even the people who picked them as their "sleeper" or "darkhorse" team. The more familiar you get with Me, the more you'll realize I'm one one of the biggest c chiefs supporters and optimistic fans you'll come across, and even I am somewhat surprised, not that their winning, but how they're doing it.

Their defense is insane. In that respect, the Chiefs are definitely a force.

Their offense though, meh. It leaves a lot to be desired I think. You've got a huge playmaking wide receiver in Dwayne Bowe and you aren't even giving him the football really. That's definitely a problem. The only reason their offense is really moving down the field with any consistency is because of Jamaal Charles making plays both running and catching the football. Andy Reid loves a quarterback that can just manage the games, he must certainly love Smith because the guy won't even throw into single coverage. That's the main thing I've noticed. If a guy isn't WIDE open, chances are, he's not getting the football. That's going to get them in trouble eventually with some of the better defenses in the league, I believe so at least. You have to take shots down the field, if they can't even do that, they won't be able to keep up with the Aaron Rodgers' and Peyton Mannings of the league.

Much more, what happens when their defense isn't dominating? I think then they will definitely find trouble. Show us a few deep plays from Bowe or another receiver here and there. Keep defenses honest at the very least!

So basically, in short, good football team that needs to open up the passing game a little more.

They are most likely about to go 4-0.

the giants better not pull a Cleveland browns on me.
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to see them play someone of consequence first, but that's not really gonna happen 'til they play the Broncos on November 17th (maybe the Texans in a couple weeks, but eh.) Until then, they're just the '10 Chiefs to me; benefactors of an easy schedule.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see them play someone of consequence first, but that's not really gonna happen 'til they play the Broncos on November 17th (maybe the Texans in a couple weeks, but eh.) Until then, they're just the '10 Chiefs to me; benefactors of an easy schedule.

You're just jealous they turned it around so quickly while the Jags are endlessly rebuilding. :laugh:

You're just jealous they turned it around so quickly while the Jags are endlessly rebuilding. :laugh:

Haha. Lol Jags Edited by dutchff7

So BC's either trolling or just proving how little he knows about football. Fuckin' eh.

to me this is the biggest thing, you've got a team that through three games has forced a near league high nine turnovers (Chicago has forced 11 and Seattle and Minnesota each have 10) while giving away none (Tennessee is the only other team that can claim that distinction, but we've only got 5 takeaways) if they can keep that up they're going to be a really tough team to beat

• Upvote 1

Who have they played? I like their defense but Andy Reid is still their HC. He's still going to fuck them in big games with badly called timeouts, terrible clock management, lack of in game adjustments and just bad play calling.

to me this is the biggest thing, you've got a team that through three games has forced a near league high nine turnovers (Chicago has forced 11 and Seattle and Minnesota each have 10) while giving away none (Tennessee is the only other team that can claim that distinction, but we've only got 5 takeaways) if they can keep that up they're going to be a really tough team to beat

This would be excellent for Minnesota, but Ponder and AP have had plenty of turnovers this season.

Who have they played? I like their defense but Andy Reid is still their HC. He's still going to fuck them in big games with badly called timeouts, terrible clock management, lack of in game adjustments and just bad play calling.

I have been a little disgusted with some of this type of thing already, but we're winning. I can deal with it for now. If/when it starts costing us games, then I will worry. Make no mistake though: this team is VERY dangerous, and much of that is directly attributed to Reid. As a chiefs fan, I'll take the good with the bad.

I have been a little disgusted with some of this type of thing already, but we're winning. I can deal with it for now. If/when it starts costing us games, then I will worry. Make no mistake though: this team is VERY dangerous, and much of that is directly attributed to Reid. As a chiefs fan, I'll take the good with the bad.

Against teams with competent secondaries and QB's who can read a defense it will cost you games. The thing about Reid when he was the Eagles HC is that he NEVER beat the best elite teams. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, but if he was he'd have burried the Eagles with a quickness in that game. Only putting up 26 points against the Eagles when they were turning the ball over like that is pretty pathetic. Especially given how bad they are defensively. Look back at it all. Look at the teams he beat in the playoffs. None of them were legit super bowl contenders. The NFC was trash for like the first 8 years of his career as a HC and the NFCE in particular really didn't get good until like '07ish. The Falcons were a cupcake opponent in the NFCCG in '04 and nobody was scared of the Vikings which was the other team the Eagles beat I believe. Andy Reid has his strengths,but he cannot manage games.

Edited by seanbrock

I like this Chiefs team, but I can't see them winning a big game with Alex Smith at QB. It is good enough for 10+ wins and playoffs, but a Super Bowl contender? Don't buy them yet.

Whoah. Your font changed mid-post.

That depends on what you mean by for real I guess. For real playoff contenders ? Maybe. For real SB contenders ? No. For Real to have a shot at .500 ? Certainly.

They deserve the 3-0 mark, now are they a top team is a different question. ANd to that nobody knows, we have got to see more.

Their defense has been great thus far this season. Which has been enough to keep Alex Smith from having to win them any games thus far. The question is whether or not the defense will keep it up. If they can, then this is probably a 10 win team. But I highly doubt Alex Smith's ability to come from behind. The good news for them is that they don't really face many potent offenses this season. So far they've faced the Jags (32nd), Eagles (2nd), Cowboys (19th), and Giants (23rd). And from here on out they have the Titans (28th), Raiders twice (20th), Texans (4th), Browns (24th), Bills (15th), Broncos twice (1st), Chargers twice (7th), Colts (9th), and Redskins (8th). So that's maybe 6 serious tests for their defense over the course of the rest of the season (DEN x 2, SD x 2, HOU, IND) unless the complexion of these opponents really changes in the coming weeks (I excluded WAS b/c anyone who has watched them play knows their ranking is due mostly to second half prevent defenses). This Chiefs team reminds me of the 2010 Chiefs team that got to the playoffs with Cassel on the strength of a good defense and an offense that didn't turn the ball over.

Making into the WC round and going one and done would actually hurt this team I think. That's about their ceiling with Alex Smith, and picking in the 20's is not a good recipe to replace him with a franchise QB. That's exactly where teams don't want to be-- good enough to win a little, but not good enough to make it all the way. The difference between being able to land Teddy Bridgewater and being forced to roll the dice on an A.J. McCarron (or, I suppose, trading the farm to move up and get a top 5 type guy).