Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Let's Talk Peyton Manning

I've been as big a believer in the Peyton-is-a-playoff-choker theory as anyone, but he's certainly getting it done this year in the playoffs--so far.

Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time regardless if they win another superbowl or not.

Now watch this thread turn into an All-State Mayhem commercial. :smug:

ku-medium.gif

Haha just realized I hijacked your .gif .....my bad

I've been as big a believer in the Peyton-is-a-playoff-choker theory as anyone, but he's certainly getting it done this year in the playoffs--so far.

It's a lot easier when you change your entire philosophy. Oh, what... You aren't the only person on the team? Oh what? You are actually going to trust your RBs and defense? For too many years, Peyton felt like he could just do everything himself... And now, when he doesn't choose to make it all about himself, he can actually get some nice stats AND win games. Imagine that. Too bad he didn't figure that out earlier.

Welcome to the Super Bowl, Peyton.

Edited by Favre4Ever

What do you mean by "trust your defense"? I don't think Manning played better because he had faith in his defense. It is possible that a good defense would cause him to perform better due to field position and ability to manage the offense without feeling pressured, but that just makes the case that his previous playoff losses had more to do with his team rather than himself.

Also, I don't see how he trusted his runners more. Yesterday was tied for the 6th most pass attempts he's had in 22 playoff games. 61% of the plays yesterday were passes (and I have a feeling his rush for -1 yard was called a pass play, but I don't remember it). Last year against Baltimore, when he hadn't "figured it out" he threw 43 passes as well, but with 40 rushing plays, or 51% pass plays.

You're just making a good point that the Manning playoff myth is overblown.

What do you mean by "trust your defense"? I don't think Manning played better because he had faith in his defense. It is possible that a good defense would cause him to perform better due to field position and ability to manage the offense without feeling pressured, but that just makes the case that his previous playoff losses had more to do with his team rather than himself.

Also, I don't see how he trusted his runners more. Yesterday was tied for the 6th most pass attempts he's had in 22 playoff games. 61% of the plays yesterday were passes (and I have a feeling his rush for -1 yard was called a pass play, but I don't remember it). Last year against Baltimore, when he hadn't "figured it out" he threw 43 passes as well, but with 40 rushing plays, or 51% pass plays.

You're just making a good point that the Manning playoff myth is overblown.

Absolutely not. He definitely played well, I am not dissing Manning or trying to make him appear less of a QB because of this run. And while he has played exceptionally well thus far, it has been the dedication to the running game and that defense that has made it so easy for him.

San Diego, the Broncos have a choke hold on that game most of the time. They run the ball towards the endzone.. Peyton checks to two or three consecutive passes on the goalline and throws an INT. Not a coincidence. You want to try and carry this team by yourself, you are going to throw the game away. They don't, Peyton still throws it 36 times, but the dedication to the run game gets them through that (as well as a great defense, of course).

Yesterday, Peyton dominated.. Of course. But that's all people want to talk about. That defense, which how obliterated they are has been playing AMAZING. AMAZING. Why is nobody talking about that? And even though the run game wasn't as nearly effective, the Broncos did what the Patriots wouldn't... Run the football. Ya, Peyton threw it X number of times, but they never gave up on the run game. They made the Patriots stay true and honest and it opens a whole new world up to your QB when you do that.

The Patriots tried the opposite philosophy... They had Tom F'ing Brady and he was going to win them that game all alone! Or... Not.

I'm not positive but I don't think your argument is based in reality, JD.

I don't recall Peyton having any issue trusting his rb's when he had some talent at the position. The position became less of strength in Indy, later in his career and the rushing stats go down, so I could see that as a reason they ran less :shrug:

Only 2 teams in 10 games so far this year have won after being outgained on the ground -- neither of those outliers are the Broncos. And to be fair, one of those outliers is San Francisco, whose entire run game was Kaepernick.. Frank Gore and the backs were absolutely atrocious.

Run Less, Win Less.

It will be interesting to see how the Super Bowl goes though.... Broncos have been the most well balanced team so far, and if they can carry that into New Jersey, they will be Super Bowl Champions. They will have to beat Seattle at their own game.. Defense and Rushing.

I would be very very shocked if Peyton Manning carries the Broncos over the Seahawks. Impossible? Absolutely not.. Any given Sunday, as they say. But I think precedent is on my side.

To be fair NE played two deep safeties the whole game to take away the deep ball. We had 6 man boxes so there could've been a lot more running, but they also pretty much let us have 6-7 yards over the middle the entire game. They couldn't play man without Talib (not that they would've really been able to anyway) so they played off and just let us have it. Manning will take that every time.

We never ever ever go to the line with a running play called. Anytime we run the ball it's because Manning saw a favorable read and checked to it.

I am also pretty miffed that no one is talking about our defense. It has been outstanding for being down a starter at every position.

Proving everyone right. Peyton Manning is basically Jake Plummer all over again.

Makes it all the more fitting that John Fox is there to see it through.

Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Manning, and I've gone on record as saying that he gets WAY too much flack around here. I still believe this to be true. However, LOLOLOLOLPeytonfuckingManning. That was just terrible. My goodness. Every time he had a chance to get his team back into the game, the ball went back to Seattle.

From balls in the dirt, to balls over heads, to throwing picks, this was—outside of the Rich Gannon debacle—the worst SB performance I've ever seen from a top QB and maybe any QB. Hell, Trent Dilfer played leaps and BOUNDS better than this when he got his chance. Manning played like, well, Kerry Collins comes to mind. They would have been better off rolling with Brock Osweiler and just taking their chances. Just terrible.

The tackling for Denver was so bad both on defense and special teams. Peyton got in a big whole early and he cracked. I don't know if the Broncos win this game if it's week 7 or something in the regular season. Peyton would have at least scored 20+. The game was absolutely not all on him, but people are talking about this guy as the greatest QB of all time in some circles. He had his chances. He failed sucks to be him. He should just hang 'em up tbh. I guess maybe he's trying to break Favre's records. He can do that next year. He can top his yards and TD's mark

Edited by seanbrock

And the entire Broncos roster. Let's face it.

Such is the NFL though. You either get all the credit or all of the the blame.

He'll get the TD record next season, barring his head falling off; but he's still 7k+ yards away from the yardage record and I think he hangs it up after next season. A 7k season would be epic, but it's not gonna happen.

Can we put the blame where it belongs, for once? John Fox and Adam Gase got their asses whupped, something hardcore.

I'd say everyone was awful for Denver. He doesn't deserve 100% of the blame but Manning definitely deserves his fair share of it. That first interception was especially awful.

Let's not bag on Peyton too hard. With how stacked our defense is, we knew this shit was over at the coin toss.

• Downvote 1

You guys do have a great defense, but if Tampa Bay can put up 21 in Seattle, Denver should be able to get more than 8 at a neutral site.

Let's not bag on Peyton too hard. With how stacked our defense is, we knew this shit was over at the coin toss.

We're talking about Peyton, not your defense. Quite being a cocky fan.

Eh. Let him have it. Lord knows if the Bills ever win one I'm going to be insufferable.

• Upvote 1

Big difference between being excited and proud your team won a super bowl vs. claiming it was over at the coin flip.

TGP is going to put everything on Peyton, but that was a team-wide choking effort by Denver. Outplayed and outcoached, plain and simple. Seattle had pressure with their front four all night, and Denver's offense never really had an answer for that.

TGP is going to put everything on Peyton, but that was a team-wide choking effort by Denver. Outplayed and outcoached, plain and simple. Seattle had pressure with their front four all night, and Denver's offense never really had an answer for that.

Yep. I haven't seen a worse team-effort in my entire life. After the kickoff return to open the half (which I called, to my own dismay), the defense shut it down too after having a decent game. can't honestly blame them. BUT, Manning calls the plays, Manning made bad decisions, Manning made terrible throws, Manning was afraid to throw downfield. Solid team failure across the board but Peyt is a pretty big part of the team.