Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Update: Jared Allen signs a 4 year deal with Bears

The Vikings aren't expected to re-sign impending free agent RE Jared Allen.

Allen, 32 in April, started all 16 games for the sixth consecutive season and didn't miss a single contest in his time with the Vikings. However, his play fell off for much of 2013 before he finished strong and racked up 6.5 sacks over the final five games to push his season total to 11.5. Allen still has some gas left in the tank but won't make anywhere near the $14 million he earned in 2013.

Edited by Favre4Ever

He looked like he only half cared anyway. He took the same approach BJ Raji did. He expects somebody to pay him, simply because of his name and not how he played. Good luck. I wonder what kind of deal he signs... :think:

He looked like he only half cared anyway. He took the same approach BJ Raji did. He expects somebody to pay him, simply because of his name and not how he played. Good luck. I wonder what kind of deal he signs... :think:

He's an all pro coming off a double digit sack season. Pass rushing is always at a premium in the NFL, so there's going to be somebody out there that'll pay Jared Allen and pay him well.

I lost some respect for him when he obviously played at minimal effort to start out the season.

Former NFL scout and director of pro personnel Louis Riddick believes Jared Allen will be this year's most overrated free agent.

Allen hasn't missed a game since 2007 and has recorded 45.5 sacks in the last three seasons. But he'll turn 32 in April and Riddick envisions the "wall" coming in a hurry. "With Jared, I see a player with diminishing get-off quickness, an inability to win on the edge against quality competition without benefiting from the QB holding the ball too long, marginal stamina as an every-down end and an average point-of-attack run defender that does not play with a consistent level of competitiveness," said Riddick. The Vikings are not expected to make Allen an offer.
Source: ESPN.com

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Jared Allen is threatening to retire if no team meets his contract demands.
As Sporting News' Ross Tucker quipped, "When your leverage is a 'won't play' media leak, it's fair to say your market is very disappointing." Per RapSheet, Allen "wants his market value, his fair salary," and "if he does not get it, Jared Allen is very much at peace." It's possible that threatening to retire will further sink Allen's market. Rapoport also reported Allen has a "ton of admiration for Barry Sanders," who retired at age 30. Allen turns 32 in April. Mar 12 - 1:23 PM
Source: NFL.com

Yeah, not sure threats are going to work. Peace Jared.

Retire shit bird

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, free agent DE Jared Allen wants close to $10 million per season.
Allen continues to badly overestimate his worth on the open market. He'll turn 32 years old next month and has shown rapidly declining quickness as a pass-rusher as well liabilities in the run game. The Cowboys and Seahawks are not going to be interested in paying Allen DeMarcus Ware or Julius Peppers kind of coin. He's failed to gain any leverage with those hollow retirement threats.
Related: Seahawks, Cowboys
Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

:rofl: go reitre ass wipe already

• Upvote 1

I can't say what he looked like. I didn't really watch Vikes games this year. I can say, I can't necessarily blame any Viking for lacking in passion considering the state of that franchise.

There is only a certain point that being a professional can conjure up effort. And putting him in Raji's class is hard to swallow, considering he still was productive even if he didn't have any hope for a postseason.

It could be posturing. Certainly there aren't many if any teams out there with the available cash to give him both that kind of money and a realistic shot at the post season. His options are limited. I guess we shall see. Certainly Seattle would use him but no amount of posturing will cough up more money. It's not as if they aren't competitive without him already.

RT @Edwerderespn: Sources: Jared Allen making second visit to SB champion Seahawks and could decide whether to join them in next few days

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337069/article/jared-allen-chicago-bears-strike-fouryear-contract

Jared Allen, Chicago Bears strike four-year contract

Jared Allen has agreed to a four-year deal with the Chicago Bears, the team announced Wednesday.

The deal is worth $32 million with $15.5 million guaranteed, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, per a source involved.

Allen previously had two meetings with the Seattle Seahawks, and turned down several other offers as he waited for a deal that equaled his All-Pro output over the course of his 10-year career.

Allen even hinted he'd be willing to retire if he didn't get the contract he wanted.

The 31-year-old four-time All-Pro pass rusher has 128.5 career sacks, which ranks 12th all-time, and only second to John Abraham (133.5) among active players.

Around The League will have more on this story shortly.

I guess he got the deal he was waiting for. I think Allen still may have some gas left in the tank but I personally wouldn't give him that much guaranteed.

Would have liked to see him in Seattle. But not for that price. I'm actually a bit relieved because Seattle needs to extend some players and signing Allen probably would have meant being forced to franchise Sherman in 2015.

Seattle should be in a position to extend Thomas and Sherman now with the remaining cap space. That's a scenario I would have preferred otherwise.

Chicago has an interesting mix of players now. Wonder if it could afford them the ability to break through the playoff ceiling they've been butting against the last couple seasons.

Allen was more productive last year than Peppers and Ware were but they got jumped on way faster. I honestly like this for Chicago.

He got his last paycheck. Expect him to give a shit how he plays now? 15.5 mil guaranteed to a player who threatened to retire is a little bit too much. Don't like this.

He got his last paycheck. Expect him to give a shit how he plays now? 15.5 mil guaranteed to a player who threatened to retire is a little bit too much. Don't like this.

This is kinda what I thought. If the dude didn't care enough that he threatened to retire, who's to say he'll give a shit for a borderline contending team when half his salary is guaranteed? I'm a bit wary about this for the Bears..

Jared Allen to Bears:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16523-1380263400-4.

No way in hell is this a good investment. Direct result of the new CBA. Extremely proud of Schneider from backing out of this bidding war. I'll take my chances on a 5th rounder any day of the week compared to those figures.

I thought he wanted a SB contender. Bears probably won't make the playoffs :yao: