Turry

Harbaugh was nearly traded to Cleveland.

"Multiple league sources" tell Profootballtalk the Browns nearly acquired 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in a trade before hiring Mike Pettine to replace Rob Chudzinski.
That would qualify as a bombshell. The Browns made essentially no effort to deny the report in a team statement. Per PFT, a deal that would have sent "multiple" draft picks to San Francisco was "in place" before Harbaugh decided he wanted to remain with the 49ers. If true, it would be a sign the tension between Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke is worse than previously reported, and that extension talks have been going far from smoothly. Of course, Cleveland's interest could have been the impetus for the sides to get serious about reaching a new deal. PFT reported last week that the 49ers are hoping to extend Harbs' deal this offseason. He's currently signed through 2015. It's a fittingly-bizarre capper to the Browns' magical mystery tour of a coaching search.
Related: Browns
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

A source tells CSN Bay Area that the 49ers won't pay coach Jim Harbaugh "like a Super Bowl winning-coach" until he wins the Super Bowl.
According to reporter Matt Maiocco, Harbaugh's long-term future with the 49ers "remains uncertain." If the source's report is true, it's a baffling hardball stance from a team that's reached three straight NFC Championship Games under its prodigy head coach. The news comes on the heels of Profootballtalk's report that Harbaugh was nearly traded to the Browns. The 49ers vehemently denied the report, but the Browns made no such effort. Harbaugh is currently signed through 2015, but it would behoove both sides to hammer out an extension this offseason. The 49ers would be wise to pay Harbaugh what he wants.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Wow, that's insane. Although, to be fair... I'd want to get out of town too after the Kaep gaffe.

So a team that doesn't belong in 3 consecutive NFC Championship games won't pay their coach? Is Baalke a fucking moron, or something? You want to keep this guy. Who cares if he was wrong about Kaep? Smith wasn't winning them a Super Bowl, either.

The 49ers continue to dominate in spite of their quarterback situation. In today's NFL, that's amazing.

Edited by BwareDWare94

If the relationship is as toxic to the point of them almost trading their HC, though.. Not sure that's something to try and just ignore. Although, I suppose it depends where that toxicity began... if it's just money, that can easily be solved.

Edited by Favre4Ever

If the relationship is as toxic to the point of them almost trading their HC, though.. Not sure that's something to try and just ignore. Although, I suppose it depends where that toxicity began... if it's just money, that can easily be solved.

Yeah, don't ignore it. Get rid of Baalke.

Before Harbaugh the Niners were one of the worst teams in the NFL. Now they are a contender every year. Fuck Baalke. Harbaugh is a damn good coach.

This is a non-story, refuted by 49ers execs, and is just pure Mike Florio BS.

Nothing to see here.

According to the San Jose Mercury News, coach Jim Harbaugh is viewed as a "combustible" personality at 49ers headquarters, which led to trade talks with the Browns that ultimately fell apart.

Per reporter Tim Kawakami, Harbaugh is still upset that the 49ers did not extend his contract before the 2013 season, and "things are a little pent-up between coach and management" in San Francisco. Kawakami isn't the first plugged-in writer to pass along word of friction between Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke. We still don't expect much to come of this, at least not this offseason.

Yeah, don't ignore it. Get rid of Baalke.

The guy who has brought in the talent and shaped the roster? Lmao. Moronic idea. With the roster these guys have, my middle school gym teacher could coach these guys to the playoffs. Jim Harbaugh is a replaceable piece to the puzzle.

The 49ers lost to the worst super bowl winning team that I've seen. I mean you can say Harbaugh is like Cowher before Ben, but Cowher lost to the Cowboys...BARELY with a roster full of hall of famers top to fucking bottom lol. He wasn't playing Aikman, who regardless of your opinion of him, is far better than Fluke-o. The 49ers were not prepared for that game, one way or the other. Whether it was just the fact that they came out flat, which I find really fucking hard to believe they weren't excited and playing 100% at the fucking SUPER BOWL. I think Harbaugh got out coached when it mattered most. In what phase of the game were the 9ers not better than the Ravens? Special teams. That loss was pathetic and with as talented as the 9ers were I'd DEFINITELY consider bringing in a guy who could win when it counts. They were a playoff team before Harbaugh got there. Comparing him to Cowher is laughable, sorry zack. I'm usually with you but not here. Harbaugh is overrated.

The 49ers lost to the worst super bowl winning team that I've seen. I mean you can say Harbaugh is like Cowher before Ben, but Cowher lost to the Cowboys...BARELY with a roster full of hall of famers top to fucking bottom lol. He wasn't playing Aikman, who regardless of your opinion of him, is far better than Fluke-o. The 49ers were not prepared for that game, one way or the other. Whether it was just the fact that they came out flat, which I find really fucking hard to believe they weren't excited and playing 100% at the fucking SUPER BOWL. I think Harbaugh got out coached when it mattered most. In what phase of the game were the 9ers not better than the Ravens? Special teams. That loss was pathetic and with as talented as the 9ers were I'd DEFINITELY consider bringing in a guy who could win when it counts. They were a playoff team before Harbaugh got there. Comparing him to Cowher is laughable, sorry zack. I'm usually with you but not here. Harbaugh is overrated.

Add to the fact that they could have EASILY beaten the Seahawks in the NFCCG this year and it starts becoming really damning for him, IMO. It's an Andy Reid type situation. You can put up with the great years without a title for long periods of time.. But eventually you are going to look back and regret what could have been.

The 49ers still haven't figured out how to run their offense since the league figured out Kaepernick (minus Green Bay). We can all talk about how great that Seattle D is, but that disgusting offensive performance against Seattle was just another huge gaffe in the 49ers postseason runs. The only thing the Niners actually know how to do on offense is let Kaepernick run the ball and hope teams don't care.

It may not be the greatest arsenal in the league.. But with guys like Frank Gore, Crabs, Boldin, and Vernon Davis.... Your offense should not be that putrid. Vernon Davis should be putting up Jimmy Graham like numbers every single year -- why the 49ers don't understand this is beyond me. Yes, he just had 850 / 13 and that is barely scraping his potential. Be more creative with him, abuse his freak athletic ability.

49ers are/were inches away from a dynasty. Close enough is good enough for some people, and that's cool I guess.

• Upvote 1

I hate that the 49ers refuse to use Hunter and James like the Saints use their speedy receiving backs. Irritating.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirmed at the Combine that his team did attempt to acquire Jim Harbaugh from the 49ers earlier this offseason.

The 49ers' front office has vehemently denied talks occurred, but Haslam didn't back down when pressed by USA Today's Jarrett Bell. "There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," said Haslam. It's entirely unclear what sort of compensation San Francisco was seeking, but pretty clear at this point that the Niners may be headed for a divorce with Harbaugh, probably after next season. It's worth noting Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pursued Harbaugh aggressively when he was leaving Stanford. Current Fins GM Dennis Hickey and coach Joe Philbin are believed to be a lame-duck pairing entering 2014.
Source: USA Today

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora passes along "increasing buzz" from the Combine that the 49ers may ultimately have to decide between keeping coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke.
La Canfora reports Harbaugh and Baalke are "barely speaking," with "almost all" of their communication going through email. Harbaugh's relationship with club president Paraag Marathe is also "strained." Harbaugh has two years left on his contract, and is one of the NFL's most underpaid coaches. He's entrenched as the 49ers' coach for 2014, but the franchise may revisit the idea of "trading" him next offseason. La Canfora writes that he's "long expected" Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh. Ross aggressively targeted Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano as head coach in January of 2011.
Related: Dolphins
Source: CBS Sports

Assuming the media reports about the Harbaugh/Baalke relationship are true (a bold assumption these days), I have to ask a question: how the hell does this happen? These are two grown men acting like children. They have key roles in one of the most successful franchises in the NFL, and they're apparently letting their egos get in the way of progress. Unbelievable.

They should pay him before they had him the Niners weren't that good and it fell down to coaching because they had the talent.

The National Football Post's Jason Cole expects the Dolphins to pursue Jim Harbaugh next offseason, "barring a Super Bowl win by the 49ers."
That should help Joe Philbin sleep at night. According to Cole, the "rumor was already out there," and "only got stronger this weekend." Cole's report runs concurrent to one from CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, who passed along Monday that the "feeling within the organization is that Harbaugh is not going to be a 10-year coach with the 49ers." San Francisco has re-emerged as one of the league's elite franchises, but it's got a serious issue on its hands.
Related: Dolphins
Source: Jason Cole on Twitter

Assuming the media reports about the Harbaugh/Baalke relationship are true (a bold assumption these days), I have to ask a question: how the hell does this happen? These are two grown men acting like children. They have key roles in one of the most successful franchises in the NFL, and they're apparently letting their egos get in the way of progress. Unbelievable.

Because Harbaugh is the most acerbic personality in the league. Even his ex players can't stand him. The stories of how he actively tried to torpedo Sherman's NFL prospects during the draft process are pretty crappy. For no real reason than he's a first rate jerk.

He's a small, spiteful, hateful prick. Nobody can stand him and everyone is pretty uniformly happy when he leaves town.

Other than that, I have no idea how this happens. Seems crazy to me. Hope their dysfunctional marriage continues for years. Watching Harbaugh stew in his own raw, toxic hate after Seahawk wins is almost more satisfying than the win itself. If he gesticulates and whines and throws a 2 year old temper tantrum -- that's just gravy.

• Upvote 2

This shit is ridiculous. Just pay the man already. People seem to forget that the 49ers only made it to .500 once in the 8 seasons before Harbaugh came along. He has played a HUGE role in the turn-around of this team, from being cellar dwellers in the NFC West, to appearing in three straight Conference Championships. If they don't work out a long-term deal with him, this team is fucked. No two ways to say it...

Pay him, but tell him you expect him to conduct himself more professionally. The temper tantrums are ridiculous for a man his age.

I wasn't even aware you could trade coaches. Shows how uninformed I am.

If I'm not mistaken Oakland traded Gruden to Tampa back in the day.

Yeah the Gruden to Tampa trade was for two first rounders and two second rounders. If San Fran could get that kind of value for trading Harbaugh, they'd be the number one team in the league, because they could pick up a real QB with Cleveland's first, either this year or next (Mariota? Rapeis Winston?)