Mathias

These Thursday Night Games Have To Go

Are you not entertained?

TNF is definitely not quality football. There hasn't been a competitive Thursday night game yet. Always seems like one team shows up ready to play and the other doesn't. I guess it's a small sample size for now, but what if this keeps up all season?

I love football and having it on another day during the week was a nice idea as I already talked about before.

However, I'm starting to notice what everyone is complaining about as far as quality. And I'm starting to believe that not every team knows how to prepare for a short week. If you plan on MNF then you have an extra day of rest and the turnaround isn't bad for a Sunday game because you don't usually have practice on Monday anyway.

But trying to turnaround and play on Thursday I believe his hurting some of these coaches who might not have had that experience or like to over-plan. I could see TNF hurting the Bears because Trestmen is a coach who likes to gameplan very detailed. Add on the fact it is a night game so the traveling to another city to adjust to the time zone can always be a factor. Just a number of small reasons I think is really disrupting the preparation for these games.

At least we have some decent games on Thanksgiving.

I generally try not to side with Mathias, but with that being said the man brings up a legitimate point.

I wont run from the fact that at first when this idea was introduced I was like, "Fuck yeah, more football." And for the first year or so it was pretty damn cool because, you had something to talk about on Friday to make the day go quicker to get to the weekend.

The last couple of years though I have not really been as enthused about it because the games count. I know there will be a barrage of no shits coming, but thinking about it in detail, I dont like it. Too many of these games could actually be deciding factors in the playoffs for a lot of teams, and is this an actual depiction of the teams best.

I cant believe I am saying this, but we are not 3 scores better than the Steelers thus far into the season, now I wont complain because it gave us what could be a huge advantage in the division if/when Cincy crumbles. That said if the reciprocal were to happen I would be furious knowing that we had not had as much time to prepare. Everyone knows as a whole I cant stand our coach and the feelings are beginning to equate for Steeler's fans. So I imagine that with two inept coaching staffs (other than LeBeau Sarge) that time had something to do with the Steelers not being prepared.

I hate to say it but I would rather have a quality football game seeing as I can record them all and watch them at my leisure anyway than one more day of football.

• Upvote 1

Thursday Night Football consistently fucks me up when I'm in a pick 'em league too, so yeah fuck TNF lol

Everyone knows as a whole I cant stand our coach and the feelings are beginning to equate for Steeler's fans. So I imagine that with two inept coaching staffs (other than LeBeau Sarge) that time had something to do with the Steelers not being prepared.

Nope. Did you see the Steelers defense today? You can make excuses about us having injuries if you want, but fact is... it's time for LeBeau to go. Sorry.

Ravens almost dropped 30 on the Steelers so.......

and now they've beaten Carolina by a wider margin while the Steelers lost to the Buccaneers, seems the quality may have more to do with matchup selection (a known issue that MNF has struggled with for years) than the day of the week

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2

Atlanta hangs 56 on Tampa, Tampa beats Pitt ON THE ROAD and Atlanta loses to Minnesota with a rookie QB????

14-0 Packers 5 minutes left in the 1st quarter...

lol

Again, bad match up, this one made worse by a backup qb

So it'd be the same score if played on Sunday? Please.

So it'd be the same score if played on Sunday? Please.

Yep. No matter what day of the week those 2 teams play, the Packers would still blow out a Christian Ponder-led Minnesota team at Lambeau. IMO.

We've had a lot of TNF blow outs. We used to have a ton of MNF blow outs too like oochymp said, because they kept putting shitty matchups on.

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 2

Yep. No matter what day of the week those 2 teams play, the Packers would still blow out a Christian Ponder-led Minnesota team at Lambeau. IMO.

We've had a lot of TNF blow outs. We used to have a ton of MNF blow outs too like oochymp said, because they kept putting shitty matchups on.

Yeah, right. 5 Thursday night games, 5 blowouts.

TNF has to go.

• Upvote 1

They won't get rid of the Thursday games, and here's why: It's Goodell's job security gauge.

They purposely hand pick the worst possible games while using the guise of "division matchup" to try and trick the public. They then look at the ratings after the game. If people will take time out of their day to watch Rodgers eat the Vikings' lunch or to see the Cards and Rams have a who-sucks-worse contest, Goodell doesn't have to worry.

"Yeah, I dropped the ball on the ray rice thing, but it's whatever. Titans v.Jags still got dem ratings doe. Josh Gordon? FUCK'um. Browns v. Ravens was a hit, so you can all suck it. I ain't goin nowhere. :makinitrain:

Edited by B-isforBowe

Every matchup should so far should have been a good game. There's just no possible way for some teams to get ready in 3 days. If the NFL wants these games to be intriguing, they need to start them in week 5, after the byes have started in week 4. That way, both teams are well rested, it's not nearly as dangerous for the players, and we'll likely get good matchups.

• Upvote 1

Last year felt like there was an abundance of incredibly close games so it's parity I guess?

Edited by RazorStar

And yet we only have 2 undefeated teams, both of which will lose this weekend.

Lol? Cincy aint gonna be beaten by New England.

The Chiefs started 9-0 last year. It's the NFL, weird shit happens.

FTR, monday night football hasn't been much better. There have been a ton of blowouts this year, not just on Thursday night.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

MNF has had a lot better games than TNF. All TNF games have been blow outs and that includes week 1.

I love how when Bware says "both of which will lose this weekend" that's totally fine. But when I say, "Cincy aint gonna be beaten by New England" all of a sudden this is an issue.

Back OT:

Vikes/Packers: If Minnesota plays GB in GB without Bridgewater, it doesnt matter whether its on TNF or not.

Falcons/Bucs: If Atlanta plays, at home, against the McCown-led Bucs, you guys are srsly saying that should have been a competitive game, and it only wasnt because it was on TNF?

Giants/Skins: This one is the only real argument, but only barely. The Giants appear to have turned their fortunes around and nothing about Washington makes me believe they would have competed on Sunday. This was in Washington, too, TNF is supposed to give the home team the advantage. The better team won.

Seahawks/Packers: Irrelevant to the topic, since this was week 1, both teams had plenty of time to prepare.

I don't particularly like TNF either, but the logic in this thread is flawed.

Edited by Thanatos19