FartWaffles

If the Patriots win the Super Bowl...

In my opinion that would make Tom Brady leapfrog Joe Montana as the all-time best quarterback ever. I'm sure it's a controversial opinion, but I'd really like to know what the rest of TGP thinks.

Yeah I could get behind that. He might already be there but winning rings a decade apart with two completely different teams (I'm pretty sure Brady is the only player left from 04) would be amazing.

Any argument against Brady being #1 can honestly be made for Montana as well. All he's missing are the rings. I'm not a fan of his but the guys gone to 6 Superbowls. Call it #1a Montana and #1b Brady if you must but him being at the top of the QB ranks is undeniable win or lose.

Guest Phailadelphia

I think he's better regardless of the outcome.

Have had this discussion many times with a buddy. While I initially sided with 4-0 Montana over 4-2 Brady; I've had a change of heart. Brady's been to 9 AFCG; while Montana went to IIRC 6 NFCG. Brady is two insane plays (Tyree & Manningham) from having more rings than he can keep on one finger. The sheer consistency Brady has presented is something even a guy like Montana struggles to rival. Unlike many of Brady's previous trips to the super bowl; there is nothing special about this Patriots team. Revis and McCourty are the only true extreme talents on this defense, much different from the early 2000's. It also lacks the firepower of the 2007 Pats squad. All-in-all if Tom wins this year I doubt there will be much to argue against Tom fact-wise.

Yeah I could get behind that. He might already be there but winning rings a decade apart with two completely different teams (I'm pretty sure Brady is the only player left from 04) would be amazing.

I got curious and decided to look this up, turns out Vince Wilfork was a rookie on the 2004 Patriots (he did play in all 16 games, starting 6, and was credited with 2 sacks and 27 tackles) but nobody else on the current Patriots team was even in the league in 2004 (according to pro-football-reference.com) pretty crazy

B7u47fQCIAMQVKy.jpg

I could get behind it. Ahead of Montana but behind Bart Starr.

:D

What if he loses though? That makes him 3-3 in the Super Bowl, with a 3 game skid to his credit.

Yeah I think he's already there. This win would make him number one in my book, although obviously it's hard for me as someone who wasn't around when Montana was in his prime. That playoff wins thing really puts in perspective though, that's almost 75% of the league he has more playoff wins then.

Why does it have to be one of these two? Both were in incredibly ideal situations in order for their potential success to come to fruition.

Rings are overrated. Period.

I think they're both in the discussion. I just don't think it has to be one or the other.

Brady would probably have won more SBs with Montana's teams.

Yeah, but he would not have been to as many bowls if he had the competition Montana did.

• Upvote 1

Why does it have to be one of these two? Both were in incredibly ideal situations in order for their potential success to come to fruition.

Rings are overrated. Period.

It's just my opinion. You're obviously entitled to your own. I like to look at how a quarterback performs in the playoffs, and that's why I believe Montana and Brady are two of the best all-time. It's also why I don't think too highly of Peyton Manning.

I'm interested in who you would put ahead of those two, since you always love playing the contrarian card.

Brady has the rings and the stats. No matter how the team around him changes, he always finds a way. Brady has made it to more Super Bowls than most teams have in their entire history. It's impossible to ignore that. And yes, he's been on some great teams, but those teams didn't carry him by any means.

Bware they aren't everything but in the end, that's what you play for.

Bware they aren't everything but in the end, that's what you play for.

I'm not saying they don't matter--I'm saying they don't matter to the extent that people think they do.

I compare Tom Brady and Bill Belechick to Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich. Here they are all these years after their first title, still competing as one of the top teams in the league. Everything else has changed (numerous times) but those 2. That tells me they are both arguably the best ever at what they do. And who knows. They not be done after this year either. That's the crazy part about this.

4 TDs, did have the 2 picks but a 100 passer rating and a 75% cmp against the best defense in the league, arguably the best D of this generation. Game was on his shoulders, had to throw the ball 50 times.

Do you think this puts him ahead of Montana, or tied, still below?

Yea... he threw 2 picks. But Blount did nothing outside of a few decent runs. Brady had to take on that defense all by himself. They got pressure on him too, but he hung in there and put the Pats offense on his back. It's hard to beat Seattle playing 1 dimensional, but they did it. I think Brady is the GOAT now.

Bredy did nothing but dink and dunk throws outside of his two egregious interceptions. Montana is the undisputed GOAT still, for me.

• Upvote 2

Eh.. Brady had an overall good game, IMO.. but when I think back on it, I don't think of Brady at all really. I think of Shane Vereen, Julian Edelman, and Malcolm Butler.

Tom Brady did find a way to dig deeper and help his team overcome a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter, though.

You know what the other crazy thing is? He's been to the playoffs 12 times, and only two of them ended with the Patriots going one-and-done. That's amazing. Joe Montana had three straight one-and-done playoff appearances, and he was embarrassed in all three of them. Hell, he was benched at halftime in one of them to boot.

Tom Brady has been rock steady, which means that he needs to drive his new Chevy pickup truck off into the sunset and retire immediately. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Undisputed goat. Led a 10-point down comeback in 4th.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with SteVo.

I mean at best they're 1A (Montana) and 1B (Brady), IMO.