oochymp

Super Bowl L

is anyone surprised at Cam's sulking? typically people who celebrate like he does get just as low when faced with disappointments

also in fairness to Thana, he was actually right on this one:

Thanatos19 : (07 February 2016 - 02:04 PM)I think the Panthers offense can put up more points on the Broncos defense than the piss poor Broncos offense can put up against Carolina's defense

he just didn't factor in the points the Broncos defense would score (and yes, I'm crediting Anderson's two yard run to the Defense)

• Upvote 1

Cam Newton is taking so much heat for nothing of consequence.

Because he's black.

• Downvote 9

Well I mean that's certainly a part of it, but the way he carries himself means that people who don't particularly like him to begin with find it so much sweeter when he inevitably fucks up. It's like when the jerk jock in high school gets humiliated at the school pep rally, or when Daniel-san kicked that other kid in the face.

Because he's black.

Come on, Bware. Some of the most beloved athletes in recorded history are black. Not buying it.

• Upvote 1

Does Tom Brady regularly get referred to as cocky and unclassy JUST because he celebrates touchdowns?

Cam Newton does nothing egregious or offensive. Cut him some fucking slack.

• Downvote 6

Because he's black.

Except that every other 26 year old who's had the season the Cam has, both with his success and his antics, is going to get run over in the exact way doing what Cam did last night.

• Upvote 1

Tom Brady is one of the most hated players in NFL history. Everyone knows he's a crybaby. Not sure how or why you're comparing him to Cam.

A dramatization of what was going on in Cam's head during his postgame PC :yep:

https://twitter.com/bmweezy13/status/696704493514334208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

apparently Cam was set up right next to Chris Harris and was listening to Harris question his play, still weird to just get up and leave the presser, but it does make it a bit more understandable and you do have to wonder why they set opposing players up for interviews so close together

Because he's black.

Jesus christ man don't be "that guy"

i47rVrB.jpg

Peyton: Soon I'll be dead, and you with me.
Cam: [laughing] Perhaps you refer to the imminent rushing attack? Yes, I assure you, we are quite safe from your friends here.
Peyton: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
Cam: Your faith in your defense is yours!

• Upvote 1

DeMarcus Ware says he isn't planning to retire.

Ware is going on 34 and missed five games with injury this season, but will keep going. "I got a lot of gas in the tank," Ware said Sunday evening. "I don't think about retiring. God still wants me to play, that's why I'm still doing what I'm doing." Headed into the final year of his contract, Ware is due $7 million, plus a $3 million roster bonus. With a number of key free agents, the Broncos could approach Ware about a restructure. Ware remained highly effective in 2015, notching 7.5 sacks in 11 games. He terrorized Cam Newton in Super Bowl 50, tallying 2.5 more quarterback takedowns.
Source: NFL.com

https://twitter.com/bmweezy13/status/696704493514334208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

apparently Cam was set up right next to Chris Harris and was listening to Harris question his play, still weird to just get up and leave the presser, but it does make it a bit more understandable and you do have to wonder why they set opposing players up for interviews so close together

Per ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/19629/denvers-chris-harris-could-have-played-a-role-in-cam-newton-walking-out-on-media

“I would have been mad, too, if I was Cam,” Harris said. “To be able to hear your opponent right behind you talking, nobody wants to hear that. So I think that was a bad setup, but things happen. But you have to deal with it and approach things like a man, and we've been in that situation where we lost a Super Bowl and be able to take things as they come. I'm just happy we were on the good side of things this time.”

I don't think anything Harris said was over the top or wrong. The Broncos did exactly what he said in the game.

How does this have anything to do with cam being black ? He acted like a petulant child. Any QB who acts like that and then gives so little effort in recovering his own fumble with the Super Bowl on the line is going to get beat up for that. Doesn't matter if they are black, white, Hispanic, or Asian. Heck other quarterbacks may even get more flak. Even today I am seeing people make excuses for Cam. " He's still young " or " this just proves his passion for the game ". Ya.... Okay. Lmao

• Upvote 1

Having the chance to win a Superbowl is quite possibly a once in a lifetime thing, so to lose it's understandable to be upset but come on at least try to act professional.

I'm glad Peyton was able to get another one and if he is going to retire it was a pleasure watching him all these years. Love him or hate him he's up there with some of the bests.

Also, I need to vent about that halftime show again. So, so, so bad. At least get new people.

Could they make it any more effeminate? I got my first BJ listening to Springsteen, I gave my first BJ listening to Bruno Mars

Edited by Barracuda

Also, I need to vent about that halftime show again. So, so, so bad. At least get new people.

Could they make it any more effeminate? I got my first BJ listening to Springsteen, I gave my first BJ listening to Bruno Mars

Well, yes the halftime show was very bad, per usual---

Wait a minute now.

I got my first BJ listening to Springsteen, I gave my first BJ listening to Bruno Mars

o_O.

Foo Fighters for the love of god. Can't believe they haven't done a SB.

• Upvote 1

Foo Fighters for the love of god. Can't believe they haven't done a SB.

I'd at least like to stay awake during the SB show :whistle:

• Upvote 2

As usual, so much to process, so much to discuss. I'll try to avoid familiar ground that others in this thread have covered.

• Defense wins championships. That is surely the prevailing sentiment after this game. Two of the last three Super Bowls have been won by an epic defense shutting down a supposedly high-powered offense, and one with a legendary individual play on defense.
  • What's amazing to me is how consistently Denver's defense got after Newton. The entire game, I was waiting for Carolina's offense to flip the switch and take over, but they never did. Watching live, I felt like Carolina was the better team and could initiate a blowout at any moment. In hindsight, Denver dominated from start to finish. Even in the end, Carolina had the ball down 6 points with more than enough time...and a sack-fumble ends the game on the drive's third play.
  • The Panthers were definitely not themselves, and Newton missing multiple open receivers is certainly atypical, but I refrain from using the word "choke" because I don't want to take away from how awesome the Broncos' defense was.
  • This is poetry for Denver, or maybe symmetry. Their season ends how it began: an astonishingly good defense helping the team win in spite of their quarterback, not because of him.
  • Von Miller deserved the MVP, but it really was an all-out team defense performance that won the game.
  • TGP shouldn't mind that Peyton Manning gets a second ring, because this is the second ring he's won as a supporting cast member given the team around him.
  • I, like many, didn't like Cam Newton's walk-out of the post-game presser, but the whole thing would bother me a lot less without one particular line: "It wasn't anything special they did." Um, yeah it was, Cam. Plenty of adjectives could describe Denver's defense, special included. I understand being upset after a Super Bowl loss, but you have to lose with class, and you have to give credit to a superior opponent.
  • How about John Elway's decision to fire John Fox a year ago and get Gary Kubiak? Though you could argue the acquisition of Wade Phillips was equally important.
  • Halftime show? Meh. Once Coldplay got out of the way, the Beyonce/Bruno combination wasn't bad.
  • Commercials? Terrible. The sheep singing Queen is the only one that genuinely made me laugh. I think there was a really nice, sentimental one in the second half about avoiding DUIs, but I was too drunk to remember by that point. :troll:

Ok, some thoughts about both teams (and potentially others) headed into the offseason.

• Retire, Peyton. Enjoy the celebration, eat some Papa John's, drink some Budweiser, and retire.
  • If the Broncos are forced to use the franchise tag on Von Miller, what if they can't re-sign Brock Osweiler before he hits the open market? I'd have to imagine a lot of teams would like to sign him. I would want the Eagles to take a shot in that scenario, and I bet a lot of fans with QB-needy teams would too.
  • Carolina fans should be distraught, but the Panthers aren't going anywhere. No player has ever won the Heisman, National Championship, NFL MVP, and Super Bowl...and Cam almost did it before his 27th birthday.
  • If Osweiler gets re-signed and doesn't suck, it's hard to see the Broncos going anywhere either.
  • I'm looking forward to the inevitable "Top 10 QBs" thread to see where Newton gets ranked by TGP.

• What's amazing to me is how consistently Denver's defense got after Newton. The entire game, I was waiting for Carolina's offense to flip the switch and take over, but they never did. Watching live, I felt like Carolina was the better team and could initiate a blowout at any moment. In hindsight, Denver dominated from start to finish. Even in the end, Carolina had the ball down 6 points with more than enough time...and a sack-fumble ends the game on the drive's third play.

funny, I thought the exact opposite watching the game, Carolina just looked lost under the pressure from Denver's defense and I thought it was rather apparent that Carolina didn't know how to play from behind while Denver was excellent with any sort of a lead, to me that game didn't feel nearly as close as the score was

funny, I thought the exact opposite watching the game, Carolina just looked lost under the pressure from Denver's defense and I thought it was rather apparent that Carolina didn't know how to play from behind while Denver was excellent with any sort of a lead, to me that game didn't feel nearly as close as the score was

I agree, once Von and Co. started to beat the tackles regularly they looked lost with how to handle the pressure. It was surprising to me that they left them one on one for most of the game. Idk how many false starts they had towards the end of the game (to be honest I don't really remember a lot of the second half, I was messed up to say the least). I remember multiple o-linemen jumping early at one point. Jackson, Williams, and Wolfe were pushing the pocket a lot too, which is something Carolina really didn't experience much this year with their good interior oline.

If we could've blocked, like at all, I think we win by a lot more than we did. Peypey actually had a couple really nice throws. The only thing I can really put on him was that terrible INT.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

I think it had more to do with my perception going into the game, which was that Carolina was the better team and was going to win big. I look forward to re-watching the game.