Cherry

General 2016 NFL Draft Discussion

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000659100/article/jerry-jones-regrets-not-overpaying-to-get-paxton-lynch

Jerry Jones regrets not overpaying to get Paxton Lynch

Most times in Jerry Jones' life, the Dallas Cowboys owner gets what he wants. Not so during the 2016 NFL Draft.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night that the Cowboys tried to trade back into the first round to select quarterback Paxton Lynch, but couldn't get a deal done. The Denver Broncos swooped in to snag the signal-caller.

Missing out on Lynch had Jones up late on Thursday night, lamenting a squandered opportunity to get his desired heir to Tony Romo. The owner wishes he would have overpaid the Seattle Seahawks to get a deal done.

"When I look back on my life, I overpaid for my big successes every time," Jones said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "And when I tried to get a bargain, get it a little cheaper or get a better deal on it, I ended up usually either getting it and not happy I got it. Or missing it.

"And I probably should have overpaid here."

Jones said Friday he was still stewing about not snagging Lynch.

"I was still mad about it," Jones said. "Actually thought we had it done."

Lynch is seen as a toolsy quarterback who, with a couple years of grooming, might eventually be the best passer of the 2016 draft class. Sitting Lynch behind Romo for a couple of years could have been a boon for both the team and player.

Alas, Jones didn't ante up. Broncos general manager John Elway did.

The battle to draft Lynch adds to the prevailing thought that the quarterback could become a top-shelf passer in the NFL, despite some question marks entering the draft.

Dallas also attempted to trade up to get Connor Cook in the fourth round, before the Oakland Raiders leapt them for the quarterback's rights. Jones wasn't too disappointed about that miss.

The Cowboys eventually grabbed their heir in Dak Prescott in the fourth round, someone who Jones called a "heady player" with "upside."

Just not as much upside as Lynch.

Jerruh shook. Elway is laughing somewhere.

• Upvote 1

The Cowboys should have traded down from 4th overall to 6 or 7 (Baltimore and San Fran wanted Ramsey). They could have still gotten Zeke and added ammunition to secure Paxton. They fucked it up.

Steelers do well? Anyone?

Personally I wasn't much of a fan of their draft class. Underwhelming would be the word I'd use. Burns was one of the biggest reaches in the draft IMO. I did like the Davis and Matakevich picks though.

The Cowboys should have traded down from 4th overall to 6 or 7 (Baltimore and San Fran wanted Ramsey). They could have still gotten Zeke and added ammunition to secure Paxton. They fucked it up.

There were countless reports that the Ravens wanted to trade up to draft Elliott, so I dunno about that...

Stevo kind of hit on it, but new story out that the Ravens did indeed call the Cowboys wanting to trade up for Ramsey. Cowboys counter was apparently ludicrous and Ravens halted any attempts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000657746/article/ravens-tried-to-trade-with-boys-to-pick-jalen-ramsey?campaign=fb-nf-sf25458849-sf25458849

I still can't believe Dallas drafted a running back with a top 5 pick. It doesn't matter who's there, you take a position more likely to last 8-10 years. They're going to regret passing on Ramsey.

Never worth it unless it's Adrian Peterson. :nope:

• Upvote 1

Even then, you have to deal with crippling turnovers and arguably the dumbest human being to ever walk the planet.

Don't say bad things about the Purple Child Beater.

<_ wait yes please continue to say bad things about adrian peterson.>

Gurley is light years ahead of Zeke as a runner. Who thought this shit was smart?

Edited by Chernobyl426

No idea but it feels like Shad paid people off to make the Jegs good for once, I don't even know if this is real life.

Would not doubt that this is what it would take to make the Jags good for once (again).

Cowboys get Jaylon Smith and Ezekiel Elliot, Jags get Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack. We're gonna be talking about this shit for years.

• Upvote 2

No, this is the best one:

KarlJoseph.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jags owned this draft. Ravens did decent, Browns - what the fuck was their game plan? A shorter Braylon Edwards? Another Kam Wimbley at LB? Fuck.

I think Burns was a first round. Not surprised, and think this is a really pick for a team trying to get more athletic.

I still can't believe Dallas drafted a running back with a top 5 pick. It doesn't matter who's there, you take a position more likely to last 8-10 years. They're going to regret passing on Ramsey.

This is the rise of BwareCWentz11

• Upvote 1