Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Eli benched for Geno

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1657/eli-manning

The Giants have benched Eli Manning for Week 13.

Stunningly, hilariously, bafflingly, they are turning to Geno Smith. Third-rounder Davis Webb will also be given playing time down the stretch of the Giants' lost season. The team apparently gave Manning the option of starting Sunday's game before giving away to Smith, but he declined. Manning has made 210 consecutive starts, the second longest streak in NFL history behind only Brett Favre's 297. The streak started on Nov. 21, 2004. We can't pretend Manning has been great this season, but he's also been the least of the Giants' massive problems. The defense has regressed, the receiver corps has been hollowed out by injury and the running game is close to nonexistent. The offensive line, and roster in general, is in shambles. Manning probably deserved the right to play out the season. It's also embarrassing Manning has been benched for Smith, a proven failed option at quarterback. Webb at least offers unknown, theoretical upside. If Manning plays in 2018, it will be elsewhere.

Eli to the Jags in 2018. :bookit:

• Upvote 1

I don't understand benching Eli for Geno. We know who Geno is as a player. He sucks. Why not see what Davis Webb can do if you're going to sit Eli after you get mathematically eliminated? I'm surprised Giants ownership is allowing this to happen. They love Eli. I think Reese AND McAdoo might be done once the season is over and honestly that's what the Giants need at this point. If I was them I'd back up the Brinks truck for Jim Harbaugh. As bad as the Giants are they're a very attractive destination for HC candidates. I don't see them being bad for long.

So here's an interesting footnote: Geno Smith will be the first black quarterback to start for the Giants, and they are the last team to start a black quarterback

This article has a list of who has that distinction for each franchise: Geno Smith replaces Eli Manning, becomes New York Giants’ first black starting QB - SBNation.com

• Upvote 1

Hats off to the teams that were doing that in the late 60's and 70's, man. That's awesome. It might not seem like a big deal in 2017 but keep in mind that Warren Moon wasn't drafted and had to play in the CFL before he got a chance in the NFL and Moon is one of the all time greats. I can't stand the Giants but they have classy ownership and I think it was just a coincidence they hadn't started a black QB to this point but that's a nice story. We've come a long way.

What a shitty thing to do.... All he’s done for this team and city, and you show him out like this? Ridiculous . Like Sean, I am surprised ownership allowed this. They all should be embarrasssd.

What a shitty thing to do.... All he’s done for this team and city, and you show him out like this? Ridiculous . Like Sean, I am surprised ownership allowed this. They all should be embarrasssd.

Ownership wasn't in the building yesterday, speaks volumes.

There has to be more to the story, or at least there should be. I'm not really sure how this makes sense for any of the parties involved. If your Giants ownership, the face of the franchise has now been alienated and discarded, making his exit to Jacksonville almost certain.

If you're Ben McAdoo you have to know that you're gone next year, so what purpose does it really serve to bench your starter? Do you really think Geno Smith is going to come in these last three or four games and just light everybody up on your way to a Super Bowl victory? I just don't see the angle here in which this benefits or makes sense for the Giants.

To me there has to be more to this, just feels like such a slap in the face to Eli, for no apparent reason. It just doesn't make sense unless there's subtext here that we don't know about. In any event it's the Giants, so I don't really care one way or the other. That said I don't think mr. McAdoo can be expecting any phone calls on Black Monday.

If it weren't for the Peterman thing this would be the dumbest coaching decision of the year. I'd get it if you were starting a young promising QB, but you're going with a vet who has not only already failed a franchise he failed the franchise that shares the same damn stadium as the Giants lol.

Eli in 2018 will be a:

1. Jaguar

2. Bronco

3. Cardinal

4. Bill

5. Other

I listed them in the order I think would be most likely to least likely.

I'm going with Jags. This is the opportunity they have been waiting for. All they need is a QB, and a big time playoff QB is now available. Plus there's this guy in Jacksonville named Tom Coughlin who has 2 really big reasons to believe in Eli. But if not there, he's almost certainly a Bronco.

Thoughts?

There has to be more to the story, or at least there should be. I'm not really sure how this makes sense for any of the parties involved. If your Giants ownership, the face of the franchise has now been alienated and discarded, making his exit to Jacksonville almost certain.

If you're Ben McAdoo you have to know that you're gone next year, so what purpose does it really serve to bench your starter? Do you really think Geno Smith is going to come in these last three or four games and just light everybody up on your way to a Super Bowl victory? I just don't see the angle here in which this benefits or makes sense for the Giants.

To me there has to be more to this, just feels like such a slap in the face to Eli, for no apparent reason. It just doesn't make sense unless there's subtext here that we don't know about. In any event it's the Giants, so I don't really care one way or the other. That said I don't think mr. McAdoo can be expecting any phone calls on Black Monday.

I think its the tweet Vin posted.

They were going to split time and Eli was like "Just let Geno have the start, don't keep starting me just for the streak."

• Upvote 1

If it weren't for the Peterman thing this would be the dumbest coaching decision of the year. I'd get it if you were starting a young promising QB, but you're going with a vet who has not only already failed a franchise he failed the franchise that shares the same damn stadium as the Giants lol.

I said this in the shout box and maybe Im crazy but I dont bench him even if the Giants have a #1 pick in the wings. Its Eli Manning! The face of your team, the guy who brought two more titles to the team and city. To my knowledge, hes always done things the right way. If you decide its tome to move on, that's fine, but let him finish out the season. Jesus.

The fact that its Geno Smith behind him is just adding insult to injury. Sticking a knife in his back but then twisting it and making it as painful as possible.

Just an overall lack of respect.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

They gave him the option and he declined. He realizes it's best for the team and hell, maybe even himself. The Giants get to see what they have and give the rookie some game experience while also guaranteeing that they'll be tanking for a top 5 pick. Eli gets to take the rest of the season off, mentor the young guys, and save his body that has literally started the 2nd most consecutive games to Favre. Everyone getting riled up over an exaggerated "ELI BENCHED--MAYHEM!!!" headline.

• Upvote 1

They gave him the option and he declined. He realizes it's best for the team and hell, maybe even himself. The Giants get to see what they have and give the rookie some game experience while also guaranteeing that they'll be tanking for a top 5 pick. Eli gets to take the rest of the season off, mentor the young guys, and save his body that has literally started the 2nd most consecutive games to Favre. Everyone getting riled up over an exaggerated "ELI BENCHED--MAYHEM!!!" headline.

Gave him the option to what -- artificially keep the streak alive? That's a joke.

pretty sure they're trying to keep him healthy so they can trade him this offseason, he's still got two years left on his current deal and teams will bid for him

This x 1000

Eli in 2018 will be a:

1. Jaguar

2. Bronco

3. Cardinal

4. Bill

5. Other

I listed them in the order I think would be most likely to least likely.

I'm going with Jags. This is the opportunity they have been waiting for. All they need is a QB, and a big time playoff QB is now available. Plus there's this guy in Jacksonville named Tom Coughlin who has 2 really big reasons to believe in Eli. But if not there, he's almost certainly a Bronco.

Thoughts?

I go with he retires, but I guess the Jags would make some sense.

None of those teams have good OLs. That is a problem