Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Former NFL WR, Sam Hurd, Facing Life in Prison

Per Rotoworld.com:

Bears WR Sam Hurd was arrested Wednesday night in Chicago on federal drug charges.
According to authorities, Hurd attempted to purchase drugs from a supplier in North Texas. Court documents say he tried to possess with intent to distribute 500 grams or more of mixture or substance containing cocaine. Hurd spent the first four years of his career with the Cowboys and is from San Antonio. In 12 games this season, he has eight catches for 109 yards. Dec 15 - 11:17 AM

Source: Dallas Morning News

Edited by Favre4Ever

CHICAGO (AP)—Bears wide receiver Sam Hurd was in federal custody Thursday after authorities accused him of trying to set up a drug distribution network in the Chicago area and arrested him after he allegedly agreed to buy a kilogram of cocaine from an undercover agent.

According to the federal complaint, Hurd was arrested Wednesday night after meeting with the agent at a Chicago restaurant. The complaint contends Hurd told the agent that he was interested in buying five to 10 kilograms of cocaine and 1,000 pounds of marijuana per week to distribute.

Hurd told the agent “his co-conspirator is in charge of doing the majority of the deals” while he focused on “higher-end deals,” the complaint said. He allegedly said he could pay for the kilogram of cocaine after “he gets out of practice,” then walked out of the restaurant with the package and was arrested.

The complaint alleges that Hurd also told the agent that he and a co-conspirator already distribute about four kilos of cocaine a week in the Chicago area, but his supplier couldn’t keep up with his demands

Source

Per PFT:

Hurd accused of arranging multimillion-dollar drug deals

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 15, 2011, 3:15 PM EST

Sam Hurd was not a big name in pro football, but he sure sounds like a big name in the Chicago drug world.

The details of his arrest Thursday reveal a man deep into drug trafficking. Playing in the NFL was Sam Hurd’s side job.

From a pop culture perspective, Hurd’s story plays out like a story arc on The Wire or a Ghostface Killah song.

Here are some details from the criminal complaint against Hurd, available publicly.

1. Hurd told an undercover agent Wednesday night that he was looking to buy ”5 to 10 kilograms of cocaine and 1,000 pounds of marijuana per week for distribution in the Chicago area.”

2. Hurd negotiated to pay $25,000 per kilogram for the cocaine and $450 per pound of the weed. So Hurd had the cash flow to pay for $575,000-$700,000 worth of drugs per week. That’s well over $2 million per month. (We’ll let you imagine how much he was bringing in or planning to bring in.)

3. The money Hurd was willing to spend was on top of what he was already purchasing elsewhere. Hurd told the informant that he currently distributed ”four kilograms of cocaine per week in the Chicago area, but that the supplier could not supply him with enough quantity.”

Hurd was trying to take his operation to another level.

4. Hurd first came on the police’s radar in July. After receiving a tip, police found a man with a bag filled with $88,000 in a canvas bag. The man said the money and car belonged to Hurd. It was Hurd’s car, and the receiver still attempted to get the money back.

This should have raised a red flag, but Hurd was too foolish or in too deep to realize he needed to slow down.

5. Hurd was looking for Mexican cell phones, because he believed authorities didn’t have the ability to track them.

6. This wasn’t a small operation. Hurd only dealt with “high level” deals; a co-conspirator handled more day-to-day stuff. Hurd allegedly had business as far away as California and had a fleet of vehicles.

We suspect this story is only getting started, and it’s one that could get increasingly uncomfortable for the NFL. If Twitter is any indication, it’s already big news.

Sam Hurd is the fifth-highest trending topic in the country right now.

Let the fun begin.

According to a report from 670 The Score in Chicago, Bears WR Sam Hurd supplied drugs to NFL players numbering in the "double digits."

Football was apparently a side job for Hurd, who was one of the top drug dealers in Chicago. His operation makes Nate Newton's 213 pounds of marijuana look small-time. Doing roughly $2 million worth of business every month, Hurd was looking to buy "5 to 10 kilograms of cocaine and 1,000 pounds of marijuana per week for distribution in the Chicago area." Hurd faces up to 40 years in prison, reports the Chicago Sun-Times. His football career is over.

Source: CBS Chicago

Any coincidence that he signed with Chicago?! I don't think so.

According to a report from 670 The Score in Chicago, Bears WR Sam Hurd supplied drugs to NFL players numbering in the "double digits."

Well, now I know what we'll be talking about this offseason. :yep:

He makes millions of dollars in the NFL and still resorts to drug dealing? Wtf?

I think it's more "he makes millions of dollars drug dealing so he plays in the NFL to have some fun".

He makes millions of dollars in the NFL and still resorts to drug dealing? Wtf?

Since he was a special teams guy, considering how much he was selling for, and reportedly how much he was selling a week.... He probably was making a lot more from selling drugs then he was playing football. And a lot of drug dealers I know get a whole lot more thrill selling drugs when they are good at it then they do anything else and get addicted pretty easily. I'd imagine it'd be no different for him.

Gobadgers pretty much said what I was gonna say. lol.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Any coincidence that he signed with Chicago?! I don't think so.

Or that he came from Dallas :wink:

Imagine all the guys who bought from him. Think their b-holes are puckered up right about now?

I guess he's officially earned the role of possession receiver :shifty:

On July 27, a person known only as T.L. allegedly was attempting to purchase four kilograms of cocaine on behalf of Hurd. T.L. wanted to buy the cocaine at an early hour, because Hurd would be taking it to a “northern destination.”

Coincidentally — or otherwise — Hurd signed with the Bears on July 29. Training camp opened in Illinois on July 30.

Holy damn. Dude had it going for awhile.

I guess he's officially earned the role of possession receiver :shifty:

troll_ba_dum_tss.png

Even a day after the news breaks I still really can't grasp this... I mean, it's not like GB DE Johnny Jolly who was just sippin on the purple drank. This dude was a high roller... How the hell do you distribute that much product that quickly?

But another thing I was thinking... If he was REALLY that high up, why is he going to "order" the stuff in person. Don't high level drug distributors have other people to do the dirty work?

If I am Sam Hurd and I have this level of operation... I am most definitely not walking the streets of Chicago giving them all the details that he evidently gave up so easily.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Until this is all proven, I'll keep my mouth shut on what he deserves.

BUT I will say this

Donte Stallworth and Leonard Little are free men. There's no way in hell Hurd deserves 40 years. Don't quote me on this, because I haven't done the research, but from what I understand, drug dealers do more time than murderers, rapists, and pedophiles. Is this justice? Is this the American way?

Edited by BwareDWare94

I would argue the mass selling of drugs negatively effecting (usually destroying) so many lives still deserves 40 years. I hear you on the rape and pedo stuff though, the laws currently out on that stuff is totally horse shit. Rapists and pedo's don't get nearly enough time in prison, if they even get any at all.

• Upvote 1

Life in prison is ridiculous. Good god.

It's pretty staggering to think about how much cocaine Hurd was ready to distribute. However, I do agree that life in prison is absurd. Those other guys in the story have faced felony charges previously and the one, Tyrone, was just sentenced to 8 years. I dunno about you guys, but 8 years seems significantly shorts than life. Ha.

This just seems to be a result of the major crackdown on drugs and those who deal them. The war on drugs is a complete sham, one in which the government fully benefits from while crippling the rest of us. The government needs a villain, and they aren't above stretching the truth or making things up to pin people to the wall. Now, I am not saying Hurd was or has been completely honest... But according to the media and police he is/was a BIG BIG fish. Yet, from the reports of what the guys in prison have said, Hurd had no idea what he was doing and it was mostly a front.

Hurd deserves prison, but I can't quite get my head around a life sentence.

• Upvote 1

Our great justice system where you can go to prison for life for selling large amounts of drugs but murder someone and get out in under 25.

I read through that yesterday, it's long but well worth the read, having read that and not much else I'd believe he was mostly set up by enforcement agents (I'd encourage others read it rather than just take my conclusion as fact) here's one of the most telling passages to me:

"At Seagoville [the prison where Hurd is currently being held], Hurd has learned firsthand about the Zetas [a Mexican drug cartel who undercover agents told Hurd they worked for], from one of the leaders of that cartel, who laughed at the idea of a real Zeta trafficker giving a kilo to a potential client in a crowded restaurant. And he has watched inmates laugh at his naivete. “You don’t just barge into the game talking about moving big numbers right off the bat,” Hurd says he was told. “That’s something you don’t get your leg broken for. That’s when you come up missing.”"

Edited by oochymp

Guest Phailadelphia

It seems Hurd is the victim of an over-zealous prosecution. Life in prison? Jesus.