Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

Claiborne gives birth to a four on the Wonderlic

via PFT

The NFL has kept the Wonderlic results under tighter wraps than usual this year. Or maybe the media has had enough other things to keep itself occupied.

Regardless, the first eye-opening score has leaked from the 2012 edition of the 50-question Wonderlic test. Per multiple league sources, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne scored a four.

Yes. A four. Out of 50.

Six years ago, quarterback Vince Young initially got a six. Re-scoring of the test bumped it to a seven. A next-day Mulligan moved it to 13.

Finally, Young has someone at whom he can point and laugh.

The joke, however, continues to be on anyone who thinks that all college athletes are also students. Plenty of them aren’t. They’re minor-league football players who have no choice but to wait at least three years until they get a shot at joining the NFL.

How else can anyone explain a person who presumably has found a way to avoid failing out of college getting such a low score on a basic intelligence test?

And that gives rise to a more important question. What did LSU actually do to keep Claiborne from failing out of school?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all know the Wonderlic test does no indicate how successful a player will be in the NFL. It does raise a question however to what the colleges are doing to keep these young men from failing out of school. I'd love to see an investigation into this. I also wonder how this young man will be able to pick up and learn the playbook. He might be talented as all hell (No one really shifted their O away from this guy in games I've seen) but he seems to be a dumb as a box of rocks.

Easy classes + loads of tutors for athletes.

There you go.

Per RotoWorld:

According to the National Football Post's Greg Gabriel, LSU CB Morris Claiborne was diagnosed with a learning disability in high school.

This helps explain why he registered a four on the Wonderlic Test. Per Gabriel, colleges that recruited Claiborne knew of the learning disability, which affects the player's ability to read. "Claiborne’s test score was NOT a true indicator of his intelligence," Gabriel writes. "He can and does learn."

Apr 3 - 12:48 PM

Source: National Football Post

Easy classes + loads of tutors for athletes.

There you go.

:yep:

My friend runs track at Rutgers and he said it is ridiculous how much help is given to athletes there.

What concerns me is what Natas mentioned about his ability to grasp an NFL playbook and diagnose game film.

Tracy Porter scored a 4, Revis scored a 10, and Patrick Peterson scored a 9. I am not too worried about this :nope:

• Upvote 1

Tracy Porter scored a 4, Revis scored a 10, and Patrick Peterson scored a 9. I am not too worried about this :nope:

Bingo. With cornerbacks, it's more important to have instincts than intelligence, and Claiborne's natural abilities at the position are ridiculous. If he really does have a learning disorder like BucD posted, it makes it even more reasonable.

When Antonio Cromartie arrived at FSU, he was illiterate, and remained so for a part of the time he was there.

I have a lot of athletes in my major and they are given as much help as they need, save from having someone else actually take the tests for them. Personal tutors are assigned to players and they travel with them to games.

Without getting into the educational issue with this topic, it's hard to argue these athletes don't deserve everything the school throws at them considering these universities are making millions off them.

Well thats a relief.

I just want to say, I love the title of this topic.

Morris...no Morris...goddamnit you don't eat your steak with a spoon

• Upvote 2

sometimes I wonder if the prospects even take the Wonderlic seriously, it doesn't seem like anyone else in the NFL does

So overrated. He isn't draft-able anymore. I see absolutely NO REASON why ANYONE would touch him before pick #23. :yep:

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

:yep:

My friend runs track at Rutgers and he said it is ridiculous how much help is given to athletes there.

Oh and as I forgot to mention, there are some classes that only athletes are allowed to take. Obviously a lot (probably most) of the athletes get legitimate degrees, but I probably could've gotten an athletic degree when I was in high school.

Let me begin by saying that I don't really care what he scored, and obviously we are all smart enough around here to understand that there isn't a whole lot of correlation between these scores and success on the field.

However...

Let me say that a 4 is a mighty impressive feat. lmao

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah it doesn't appear there's any correlation between Wonderlic scores and success at the NFL level. There have been busts who scored in the high 40s and HOFers who scored less than 10. Too much is made of the results of this test.

Well this is all i needed to know :rockon:

Not sure if this makes it better, or worse.

No. 6 pick CB Morris Claiborne says he completed only 15-to-18 of the 50 questions on the Wonderlic test at the Combine, leading to his score of four.

"I came to the Combine for football," Claiborne said. "I looked at the test, and wasn’t any questions about football. I didn’t see no point in the test. I’m not in school anymore. I didn’t complete it." Claiborne's score made waves before it was revealed he suffers from a learning disability. The whole episode appears to have had little, if any, effect on his draft stock.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Honestly, that makes it worse, in my opinion. What a terrible attitude. Although, to his defense, the Wonderlic is a joke.

That just makes it worse but I could careless about his Wonderlic score. It's obvious his football IQ is very good and that's all that really matters. If this was football related, I'd be concerned because that mindset could translate to the practice field, games, etc.

But at this point as long as it's only the Wonderlic test he's being stuck up to, be my guest.

I reiterate:

sometimes I wonder if the prospects even take the Wonderlic seriously, it doesn't seem like anyone else in the NFL does

I wouldn't have even wrote anything on the wonderlic if I were him, lol.

I wouldn't have even wrote anything on the wonderlic if I were him, lol.

He might have done better. :yep: