Turry

**Update** Dolphins sign Chad Ochocinco after release from Patriots

Patriots released WR Chad Ochocinco.

Calling to mind Joey Galloway's late-career washout in New England, Ochocinco managed just 15 receptions for 276 yards last season while collecting $5.75 million and struggling to master the Patriots offense. The shift from Bill O'Brien to Josh McDaniels at offensive coordinator certainly didn't help matters this offseason. A six-time Pro Bowler, Ochocinco will likely be greeted by a frosty free agent market heading into his age-34 season. Although the Boston Globe believes Ocho still has what it takes physically to succeed in the NFL, his days as a starter are likely over.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

The writing was on the wall when Lloyd signed.

Edited by BLUE

He's done in the NFL, not just New England.

Agreed with Bware. The guy is old and just doesn't have it anymore. If no one is going to give T.O a chance, I can't imagine seeing anyone giving Ochocinco one.

Multiple sources tell the Boston Globe that Chad Ochocinco just didn't have the "football I.Q." to succeed with the Patriots.

"The Patriots would literally tell him to run a route a certain way, and a minute later he would run it the other way," wrote the Globe's Greg Bedard. "It happened all the time." During recent OTAs, he also struggled to recognize zone versus man coverage. Even if it irked Carson Palmer, Ochocinco often got away with freelancing as opposed to running the correct route in Cincinnati. That was never going to work in the Patriots' precision timing offense, which relies on receivers to make pre-snap reads and run exactly where Tom Brady expects them to run.

Source: Boston Globe

According to Bengals.com, T.J. Houshmandzadeh used to tell Chad Ochocinco where to line up on offense in Cincinnati.

Ochocinco's cavalier attitude toward the playbook started long before his one-year stop-over in New England. Ochocinco's offensive freelancing certainly didn't endear him to Carson Palmer or former Bengals OC Bob Bratkowski, now in Jacksonville. There's also belief in the Queen City that Ochocinco never played as hard again after being nailed by Browns safety Brian Russell in the 2006 home opener. "If I went with Tom Brady and didn't produce, I'd hang it up," Houshmandzadeh said of Ochocinco's 2011 struggles.

Related: Bengals

Source: Bengals.com

Edited by monstersofthemidway

There are a bunch of teams in need of a wide receiver. Ochocinco can still play. He just needs to dedicate himself to it like when he first moved into the league. In the Carson Palmer days it was "Hey, run deep and get the ball" for the most part. They don't do that in NE. I think if you are the Browns or the Dolphins, you have to take a look.

That just about does it for the cocky dipshit wide recievers. Only ones left in the league now are Plaxico Burress, Desean Jackson, and Randy Moss.

Ocho may be cocky on the field, but off the field he is a good guy. I always see him taking fans to dinner and movies.

Ocho may be cocky on the field, but off the field he is a good guy. I always see him taking fans to dinner and movies.

Yea, I like his page on facebook, and his statuses are always good for a laugh.

I was already on the fence when Miami agreed to go on Hard Knocks, but if they bring in Ochocinco they'll prove they they just don't give a shit down there anymore. Every other team turned down Hard Knocks because they didn't want a TV crew distracting them while they trained, but not Miami! Screw training! They'd rather be on TV! Ochocinco just got axed by one of the best franchises in the league because he couldn't be assed to learn the offense? Miami will take him! He may have trouble figuring out where to line up without help, but he'll bring in TV ratings, right?

I don't say these things because I hate the Dolphins. I want to like them. I always cheer them in the memory of my late uncle, who was a lifelong Dolphins fan (Unless they're playing the Seahawks), but they continue to frusterate/disappoint me with these descisions. It's like they just don't care anymore.

Per Rotoworld.com:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports that the Dolphins are talking contract with free agent Chad Ochocinco and that a deal appears likely.

Ochocinco was not signed immediately following his Monday morning workout, but it appears the wide receiver-needy Dolphins are going to give him a shot. Miami presents the 34-year-old with his best chance to start, as his main competition will come from Davone Bess and Brian Hartline. Jun 11 - 7:49 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

I was already on the fence when Miami agreed to go on Hard Knocks, but if they bring in Ochocinco they'll prove they they just don't give a shit down there anymore. Every other team turned down Hard Knocks because they didn't want a TV crew distracting them while they trained, but not Miami! Screw training! They'd rather be on TV! Ochocinco just got axed by one of the best franchises in the league because he couldn't be assed to learn the offense? Miami will take him! He may have trouble figuring out where to line up without help, but he'll bring in TV ratings, right?

I don't say these things because I hate the Dolphins. I want to like them. I always cheer them in the memory of my late uncle, who was a lifelong Dolphins fan (Unless they're playing the Seahawks), but they continue to frusterate/disappoint me with these descisions. It's like they just don't care anymore.

I agree fully with this. If I were a Phins fan I'd jump ship.

• Downvote 1

He just needs to drop the whole diva persona. That's how he survived and got attention earlier in his career, but the whole thing is getting old now.

Just be Chad Johnson and he'll be fine.

Honestly, I don't think his issues are really mental. I just don't think he's good enough to play wr anymore.

I'm a Phins fan and to be honest, the management group in the Dolphins organization make it extremely difficult to cheer for this team. Year after year it's one disappointment after another. I can't abandon my team althought the thought has crossed my mind. I just have to somehow get used to being irrelivent. Maybe when they get rid of Ireland, I can be a happy fan again.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Chad Ochocinco's website is reporting that he has signed with the Dolphins.

There's been no official word from the team, but it appears that the two sides have come to terms. Ochocinco is far from a lock to make the 53-man roster, but the Dolphins have a major void that the position. If he does make the team, it's possible that he opens the season in the starting lineup. No longer a threat as an impact, every-down player, he's worth no more than a late-round flier in fantasy drafts. Jun 11 - 8:22 PM

Source: OCNNReport.com

Thats what a rookie QB needs right there...assuming he is the starter.

Thats what a rookie QB needs right there...assuming he is the starter.

Time will tell. :yep:

Drat. It looks like they really are serious about bringing him to Miami. I can only hope getting essentially benched by the Patriots for a year humbled him a little, and made him realize he needs get back to playing football. It's not like he's a terrible reciever. If he buckled down he could easily outplay any reciever on Miami's roster. I just don't know if he has it in him to just focus on football anymore. He's been "Ochocinco" the hype machine for too long instead of "Chad Johnson" the NFL reciever.

Edited by Jayrus

UPDATE: Dolphins waste a roster spot on aging receiver unsure of his own name.

I think Ocho is toast, but he'll probably make the roster in Miami because they have the league's worst WR corps. He won't make a major impact though.

He;s never been the same since the name change. Dude used to ball, I miss that Chad.